Jimbo

AAR Sunday Oct 11, 2015 - Barrier to Entry Solution

I finished good day of mission play on the Primary.  Good leadership, communication mutual support and the decorum was high.  Thanks to everyone who stepped up and led.

Some players must have been unhappy and were complaining afterward on an external site. I found some insight in the following post:

• Join a UO operation
  • >20 minutes to slot up
  • >30 minute autistic briefings
  • >my platoon leader is a moron who cant do anything
  • >squad leader can barely lead a squad
  • >45 minutes into the mission i have fired no rounds
  • >hour into the mission we finally assault an OBJ
  • >the firefight is over because it was 50 people vs 12 AI and the AI are destroyed instantly because everyone has optics and we out number the AI 3 to 1
  • >hour and a half into ops we finally finish, i have fired 30 rounds and seen 4 dead AI
  • never a fucking gain

So we don’t need a Barrier to Entry  ... we just need to follow this simple recipe and the derpy/poor players will avoid UO.

1. Slot up carefully – COs should take time selecting key roles.
  2. Create a plan that will avoid engaging for 45 minutes. (And don’t conduct the final assault until at least an hour into the mission.)
  3. Brief properly. Don’t hurry through it (extend it to 10 minutes if possible).
  4. Never allow ratios of attacker to defender lesser than 3:1.

I had no idea it would be so simple to implement a filter to remove the derpy/poor players. It is such an easy fix.

EDIT: Crossed out "leadship" comments because it was not applicable to the intent of the thread.  (leadership was good)

Edited by Jimbo

I think a lot of these problems will be somewhat resolved once we start pumping out UOTC courses again. I am very excited for the future of UOTC, and hopefully it will do nothing but increase the quality of play on the server.

I only notice the problem of incompetent leaders (SL and up) when playing on days other than the usual Friday and Saturday play times. Again this could be resolved with more training, and providing input to mission leaders post mission. 

As far as a Barrier to Entry, I was all for it back when this discussion thread was up, but I feel like this could be "reduced" to Leadership in some way. In my opinion overall play on the server, in the past few months, have been excellent, but it could be better if we had more leaders who knew what they were doing. 

As far as a Barrier to Entry, I was all for it back when this discussion thread was up, but I feel like this could be "reduced" to Leadership in some way. In my opinion overall play on the server, in the past few months, have been excellent, but it could be better if we had more leaders who knew what they were doing. 

Those who can, don't want to.

Those who really want to, can't.

I think a lot of these problems will be somewhat resolved once we start pumping out UOTC courses again. 

I only notice the problem of incompetent leaders (SL and up) when playing on days other than the usual Friday and Saturday play times. 

My point was: there wasn't problems with the gameplay.  I enjoyed the missions.  The leaders conducted themselves well.   Corax, Godhand, Gusy, Herbie, James, Lancer, Militant, PieSpy, Ratlover, Sad4Guy and  Vospo . (If I forgot to post your name here it isn't because you failed,   but because I didn't get a chance to interact with you, or see you during the mission(s)). 

I am excited that any potential problems seem to be leaving our community because they don't like our style.

On a very soft side note I did observe some players that seemed unaware of their duties (... failing to: watch sectors, use cover, fulfilling leaders intent, etc) but that will improve with experience and a will to make it happen.  

My point was: there wasn't problems with the gameplay.  I enjoyed the missions.  The leaders conducted themselves well.   Corax, Godhand, Gusy, Herbie, James, Lancer, Militant, PieSpy, Ratlover, Sad4Guy and  Vospo . (If I forgot to post your name here it isn't because you failed,   but because I didn't get a chance to interact with you, or see you during the mission(s)). 

I am excited that any potential problems seem to be leaving our community because they don't like our style.

On a very soft side note I did observe some players that seemed unaware of their duties (... failing to: watch sectors, use cover, fulfilling leaders intent, etc) but that will improve with experience and a will to make it happen.  

I think Age, gaming background (Dayz?A3 King of the Hill? Call of Duty?) and the personal opinion on how Arma should been played lead people to that kind of shittalking that happend by this anonymous player (very brave). And yeah, every Arma community stands and falls with its leaders (ingame and outside the game), so does the gameplay. I just played one mission on Sunday (Fusionpoos Thirsk mission) and I really enjoyed it, almost no waiting times, good reaction to contact (Squad 1'1).

https://i.imgur.com/7FNl73z.png

Yeah, let's make our community objectively shittiter in order to dissuade some random player who posts shit on 4chan!

Yeah, forget fixing the core problems of the community! We need longer briefings, slower missions and absolutely less trigger time! Is it opposite day? Is this post a parody or is this what you actually want?

The amount of drama emanating from the forums and being re-posted onto the /vg/ board of all places is purely childish and at the end of the day just shit posting. Nothing that goes on here needs to leak onto any external board, it only serves to further downgrade the image of United Operations within the ArmA community when they can see this sort of shit spewing onto other means. Keep it within UO and between yourselves, that's what the barrack channels are for.

With what Jimbo proposed, no. That is not the way you want to go about trying to bar players from playing, it goes against any common sense in trying to get a mission into full swing when you would be forcing such things. If you wanted a barrier to entry then the original concept would have passed, but we are far past the point now at UO that any barrier to entry would be effective.

The amount of drama emanating from the forums and being re-posted onto the /vg/ board of all places is purely childish and at the end of the day just shit posting. Nothing that goes on here needs to leak onto any external board, it only serves to further downgrade the image of United Operations within the ArmA community when they can see this sort of shit spewing onto other means. Keep it within UO and between yourselves, that's what the barrack channels are for.

With what Jimbo proposed, no. That is not the way you want to go about trying to bar players from playing, it goes against any common sense in trying to get a mission into full swing when you would be forcing such things. If you wanted a barrier to entry then the original concept would have passed, but we are far past the point now at UO that any barrier to entry would be effective.

I don't think people blowing off steam on /vg/ is a major issue (at least for UO, maybe moreso for the poor buggers trying to hold their /vg/ thread).

Other than that, totally agreed, we should be aware that anything posted anonymously is gonna be a magnet for hyperbole. We haven't had a 20 minute slotting screen in years, for instance.

I have a feeling people may be taking this post a bit more seriously than it's meant to.

The Herbiie Barrier To Entry is the best way:
Bank of 50 multiple choice questions, before player is allowed access to join the server and get their tag via Auth they must answer 5 randomly selected questions. If they fail, then they are given a link to a UOTC manual and UOTC courses (which they also have access to before the test).

Examples of questons:
Your squad comes under attack by an enemy vehicle. You have a disposable AT weapon such as an AT4. Your squad leader orders you to destroy the vehicle with your AT4. Do you:

a) Fire as quickly as possible to destroy the threat.

:cool: Warn your teammates that you are about to fire by shouting "Clear backblast" or something similar.

c) Move as close to the vehicle as possible.

d) Try to engage with your rifle.

Your squad is in contact and bounding towards the enemy. As your team bounds, the player to your right is hit and goes down. Do you:

a) Ignore the casualty and continue.

:cool: Inform your squad that there is a casualty, stop the casualty's bleeding and then continue.

c) Inform your squad that there is a casualty and continue.

d) Move the casualty into cover and begin treating.

Which of these pictures represents a file:
A) Picture of a wedge.

:cool: Picture of an extended line.

c) Picture of a staggered file.

d) Picture of a file.

Etc.

B), C, D by the way.

Edited by Herbiie

... And yeah, every Arma community stands and falls with its leaders (ingame and outside the game), so does the gameplay ...

A leader is nothing without a team that he is allowed to lead.

Before you can lead you need to know how to follow and that is more than just jumping the gun when the command "to jump the gun" comes.

Speed is nothing without control.

The last point in the mentioned post is noteworthy. Boredom is a player's worst enemy. String together enough trigger-less coops and half your player base goes to shit (or leaves). The same is also applicable to TVTs. Put together enough one-sided slaughterhouses and people get frustrated. Boredom and frustration combined gives way to ban threads (or shitposting). Mission availability (and selection) is of the utmost importance to the health of the player (and by extension the server).

I'm sorry, are we taking 4 chan shitposting seriously now? Because that's fucking retarded. People exaggerate and post jokes and memes all the time there. We should be looking at how things can be done better, sometimes they need to be sped up and sometimes they need to be slowed down, 4 chan is not the place to be getting that feedback from however.

Your plan is also unworkable, unless you plan to ban every defence mission, or mission that starts less than a kilometer away from the objective. Aside from that it will needlessly aggravate many good players, including myself, who while might be happy to wait 45 minutes if it is required, do not want to be jerked around needlessly.

While you might not be aware of chan culture, your "plan" is either born of idiocy, or shit posting on your part as well. It's fucking stupid. Stop being fucking stupid.

Also mods slap the warning point on if you want, but if you can't see that this thread is moronic, then I can only assume you are brain damaged as well.

Edited by Kingslayer

I was under the distinct impression that the OP was not entirely serious.. I even chuckled at a few bits. However, given some of the replies I'm now not so sure. :blink:

I would welcome some clarification at this point.

I'm not advocating the removal of missions. That worked out great (poorly) for the previous game. I'm proposing mission diversity and intelligent selection. The "plan" involves nothing more than this.

@kail - I'm under the impression that OP is a shitpost / funny.

Edited by NoDebate

I was under the distinct impression that the OP was not entirely serious.. I even chuckled at a few bits. However, given some of the replies I'm now not so sure. :blink:

I would welcome some clarification at this point.

As I said, it's either a really dumb plan, or shitposting. Either way, it's stupid.

I'm not advocating the removal of missions. That worked out great (poorly) for the previous game. I'm proposing mission diversity and intelligent selection. The "plan" involves nothing more than this.

I'll allow the jury to determine if the rest of the post is an attempt to incite / inflame.

@kail - I'm under the impression that OP is a shitpost / funny.

To be clear, I was yelling at Jimbo.

Also mods slap the warning point on if you want, but if you can't see that this thread is moronic, then I can only assume you are brain damaged as well.

It's even more moronic that several Regulars, Game Moderators, and Regular applicants all got together and effectuated that 4chan stupidity in the first place. Great job flying the colors there, guys, you're all shining beacons of professionalism.

As I said, it's either a really dumb plan, or shitposting. Either way, it's stupid.

To be clear, I was yelling at Jimbo.

I'm yelling at you. Why don't you listen to me? First you steal Mark and now this... :(

As I said, it's either a really dumb plan, or shitposting. Either way, it's stupid. ..

On face value I assumed it was provocative (the positive kind) rather than anything negative.

On face value I assumed it was provocative (the positive kind) rather than anything negative.

You must know by now, UO's Forum has a Humor rating in the negatives.

I'm yelling at you. Why don't you listen to me? First you steal Mark and now this... :sad:

It's not my fault Mark loves me more.

OK. Look at this this way: Ignore the 4CHAN exaggerations and Jimbo's responses to them. What have you got? We did a mission and a certain-type-of-player hated it. Net response? OP happy, AAR done.

That's what I see.

I'm so confused

Why cant we all get along?!!

Ahahaha, get along, AHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Oh you're serious?

/sigh\ Not a proper AAR, topic moved to PD section.

I can understand the need to vent sometimes.

No points given to to posts before the move. Please keep further discussion on topic.