azzwort

UOTC Progress Report

I'm making this thread for the sake of keeping everyone appraised of the progress of UOTC in accomplishing their roadmap.

We've just reached the end of the First 2 weeks of me being UOTC officer. Let's take a look at the first two weeks section of the roadmap:

Week 1-2: Recruit trainers, criteria: WILLING TO TRAIN. Move initial training materials to the Wiki. This includes the Famil outline.

Create Recruitment thread and Front page post: DONE and DONE

Ok, so here is the list of what is and isn't on the WIKI:

Done:

UOTC Handbook

FTP 1

FTP 2

FTOPs - This course is incorrect and being maintained for archival purposes. It may be edited in the future to gel with other standards.

RTO Course (this course was on the wiki when I started looking for courses, I assume it's nice, it was last updated in July)

Land Nav (See: RTO Course)

Needs to be done:

FTP 3 (on the wiki, but is not formatted correctly)

Famil  (this course is also on the wiki, but the course is different from currently taught class, because we are expecting to make edits to this course soon, it will remain in this state until videos are being produced)

Next group of Tasks:

Week 3 or 4: Train the trainers, do this in a few sessions. Give them the basic idea on how to teach others, give them criteria as to how to keep classes short and concise . Try to actually keep the classes short and concise. Training will be based on the Famil outline with the intent to be mostly practical training. Famil outline here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11np6BBc1cBNTadKTzXmI7lhovKrO9JhiHL9wa4f43yg/edit

Training will be based on current UOTC famil course. It's easiest to teach at this time, and the highest number of people know it.  Begin work on training videos. Video subjects will be from the list in the Famil outline. These will follow the layout and format of the training videos that have been made in the past. Primary goal with these videos is to keep them short and concise, something for players to watch while they’re downloading their mods perhaps. Maybe even have a supercut version that places videos all in one longer video for players who just want to knock the whole thing out at once.

See you in two weeks.

Edited by azzwort

So it's the end of week 4, let's see how we're doing:

Week 3 or 4: Train the trainers, do this in a few sessions. Give them the basic idea on how to teach others, give them criteria as to how to keep classes short and concise . Try to actually keep the classes short and concise. Training will be based on the Famil outline with the intent to be mostly practical training. Famil outline here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11np6BBc1cBNTadKTzXmI7lhovKrO9JhiHL9wa4f43yg/edit

Training will be based on current UOTC famil course. It's easiest to teach at this time, and the highest number of people know it.  Begin work on training videos. Video subjects will be from the list in the Famil outline. These will follow the layout and format of the training videos that have been made in the past. Primary goal with these videos is to keep them short and concise, something for players to watch while they’re downloading their mods perhaps. Maybe even have a supercut version that places videos all in one longer video for players who just want to knock the whole thing out at once.

Train the Trainers part 1 has happened, and there is a part 2 scheduled for this Sunday, and I already have my first month trainers lined up (more on that next week).

Script for Video #1 is 95% done, and awaiting final approval from senior staff. Video 2 and 3 are laid out but not fully scripted. I expect video 1 to start shooting within the next week. Cool.

Next Group of Tasks:

Week 4 or 5: get schedules from trainers, establish training schedule.

Scheduling goals:

1. Run classes once a week maybe once every 10 days, alternating time zones each class.
  2. Keep the times consistent, or at least easy enough to keep track of so that Any Player can tell a prospective student when a course is.
  3. Rotate trainers, this prevents trainers getting overworked, and gives the player base a wide range of knowledge to receive training from

See you guys Thursday.

Week 4 or 5: get schedules from trainers, establish training schedule.

Scheduling goals:

1. Run classes once a week maybe once every 10 days, alternating time zones each class.
  2. Keep the times consistent, or at least easy enough to keep track of so that Any Player can tell a prospective student when a course is.
  3. Rotate trainers, this prevents trainers getting overworked, and gives the player base a wide range of knowledge to receive training from

See you guys Thursday.

I have scheduled the trainers for November, there will be a front page post for the training courses up on Monday (I want to give the D&D event a few days to let sign-ups trickle in). Based on previous feedback, it seems as though the best day to do training is Sunday. Sundays allow players to hop on Primary afterwords due to being hella pumped from training. I'm going to talk to my trainers and see if they're interested in hopping on the server, regardless of the number of players on primary, and actually putting into practice what has been learned. Regardless, this is the end of the initial roadmap. So far so good. I would like to keep this thread going, as such I'm handing this thread to Gusy and headshot, who are currently working on the UOTC videos. This thread will be used for those video's progress reports as they're worked on.

See you on the battlefield gentlemen.

Here is our roadmap for the video creation. 

UOTC Introduction Video Editing Roadmap

Part 1: Theme Creation

Week 1

Headshot and Gusy begin brainstorming ideas for an overall art style used in UOTC videos. Video ideas are uploaded to the internet and debated on. Once a theme is chosen a quick trailer will be created and presented to Azzwort in Part 2.

Part 2: Input and Polish

Week 2

The trailer is debated on UOTC Skype for 1 week. Small changes will be made and a final Theme and Style is decided.

Part 3: Video Completion

Week 3

The video crew use the updated theme from part 2 to complete the UOTC Introduction Video. Full video is presented and any final changes are made. Once a final version is decided upon it is released to UOTC YouTube.

Part 1: Theme Creation begins now. Zumorc will be the narrator for the first video. When we reach Part 2 I will post a progress report what has been created so far.

Edited by Gusy

UOTC Video Roadmap

Completed/Upcoming:

1. UOTC Familiarization Training Video:

Currently, we're pooling efforts to complete the first UOTC video, which will focus on familiarization to UO. The previous post by Gusy outlines our relative step-by-step approach to production/post-production, as we continue work on it.

At the moment, we've completed theme creation, selected a VO person, and recorded the video. Work has begun on the first two scenes, along with effort to make a UOTC Video Introduction, which will act as the staple introduction for each subsequent UOTC video.

2. UOTC Introduction scene:

Theme and style has been drawn up, and work into completing the scene is under way. A completed version will be posted when complete.

3. UOTC Fireteam Roles Training Video:

Tenative work into creating an outline has been put in place, and effort will be switched over once filming of the previous video is complete.

4. UOTC Fireteam Formations Video:

Tenative work into creating an outline has been put in place, and effort will be switched over once filming of the previous video is complete.

5. Fireteam Tactics

Reference for a list of slotted videos and their progress, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xnzRPbwxKbiSZFgrj0ui8eXM-O4a-r3oDSCqlltEMsQ/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by HeadShot

At the moment, we'll probably have the first video by December, and can pick up speed after that.

These videos have a different goal than the videos produced by Rambo2.  If Rambo2 wishes to be involved in this project as well or to assist Azzwort and his team in this project, I am more than confident that Rambo2 can communicate with Azzwort on his own.

I am confident they can communicate too, but to throw away all that work seems silly. But that's just me.

Trailer has been created and shown to Azzwort. Part 2 of the Video editing portion "Input and Polish" begins now.

The UOTC Famil video is currently slated to be complete around Wednesday, 25th. Work continues on schedule.

The UOTC Famil video is currently slated to be complete around Wednesday, 25th. Work continues on schedule.

Pushing the video back another week to Dec. 2nd due to real life commitments.

What about all the videos ? They're excellent and very informative.

No question that there are a great many videos that are informative and valuable. These current videos ( Gusy, Headshot et al) have been created under the supervision of UOTC. Other videos have been produced independently and as such do not always reflect the UOTC standard.

We are using the least complicated reference material to avoid confusion. It is easier to show examples of what UOTC teaches rather than videos that are sort of what we want ... Only different.

Think of it as making a video to match UOTC rather than changing UOTC to match a video that someone had already made.

Edited by Jimbo

Familiarization video is released. Fireteam Operations and Fireteam Roles Script work continues. 

Video Production Roadmap.

A new course "CQC Practical" is currently in the works. The lesson plan is nearing completion and start date will be posted soon. This course will teach the very basics of Close Quarters Combat in a practical application format.