jubxxxjub

Jub is writing a paper about Disney movies and their detrimental effects on youth

Alrighty, I'm doing as the title says. This is a psychology paper, btw. 

My paper is about examining the effects on young adults/teenagers/or people in general views on love. Mostly about how unrealistic they are. I'd like to get as many responses as possible.

I'd like to know the following:

What is love to you?

Do you believe in love at first sight? Or do you think it's something else IE: lust or something 

Do you think love at first sight is a good or bad thing?

Did movies like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin, etc, form your early views on love? If you could give details

Do you know anyone who has harmed themselves or taken their life because of heartbreak and would you say that their views on love were affected by their childhood? 

I'm still developing the paper in my head, so if you have anything to add to the topic that'd be greatly appreciated!

If you want, you can PM me to keep everything anonymous. 

Thanks to everyone who gave input! I have enough info for what I needed

Edited by jubxxxjub

Somethig for your paper. I was just watchig this on ytube few minutes ago and don't judge me:

Do you believe in love at first sight? Or do you think it's something else IE: lust or something 

Yes

Good thig. Makes you to be a better person on all levels. Gives you goals. You wanna stand out

Did movies like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin, etc, form your early views on love? If you could give details

Not really for me. Its more like Peter Pan stayle to protect your brother

Do you know anyone who has harmed themselves or taken their life because of heartbreak and would you say that their views on love were affected by their childhood? 

No. Can't help y here

You could have used a survey service, you know...

• What is love to you?

I subscribe to the view that there are four types of love. Agape, Eros, Philia, and Storge. And Agape being the highest and most developed type of love, the one that only humans are able to understand.

• Do you believe in love at first sight? Or do you think it's something else IE: lust or something

It is possible, and many times other impure emotions are mixed in aswell. This is not a binary subject.

• Do you think love at first sight is a good or bad thing?

Well, if it is really true love, it is a good thing.

• Did movies like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin, etc, form your early views on love? If you could give details

I guess so. Before I started studying the Church's Teaching my concept of love was very poor and centered on feelings and very immanent.

• Do you know anyone who has harmed themselves or taken their life because of heartbreak and would you say that their views on love were affected by their childhood?

Yeah, I am the son of divorced parents. I already told my mother to listen and study to what the saints and Church's Doctors have to say about.

• I'm still developing the paper in my head, so if you have anything to add to the topic that'd be greatly appreciated!

If you want to talk about love, you better lend a ear to someone who is teaching it for about 2000 years.

Jub. Brought up 2 girls and we generally avoided all Disney cartoons till the kids were a little older. All of the productions seemed to use the same receipe of gentle music and appealing images to kindle the love-is-the-greatest theme. Great message and nice warm feelings but the movies always seemed so shallow. Suppose you could argue some altruistic value (ie Shrek etc) but the smothery big eyed swooning smacked of cheap manipulation. The Simpsons had much stronger values and reinforced a healthy respect for an effective role models. Example Lisa's intellegence and Marge's perserverance.

One look at your own newborn and you will never doubt love at first sight again. It is impossible to describe but the feeling lasts a lifetime.

I grew up with a friend who's step mom kept reminding him that although she was responsible for him she did not love him. He committed suicide by twelve gauge at 21.

Love. Seems to be action rather than feeling. When you find that you freely and eagerly do whatever is needed for someone else's welfare, and it seems that you have no choice, you might love them.

In the end .... all that really matters is love.

I have to agree with Jimbo on this one.  I was never a believer in love at first sight until I saw my first child being born.  I did not feel that way even with my wife when I first saw her.

What is love to you?

Strange shit I can not explain. Feels good though.

Yeah. Happened to me once. Strange shit as well.

I do not think it is lust. I'd rather describe it as a "what the fuck"-moment, at least that was what it was like for me. Kinda weird as it makes you forget your surroundings for a second or two; like complete loose of focus of whatever you are doing. Kind of like a Déjà-vu paired with falling over with your school chair at the same time.

My experience: double-edged sword.

No, as far as I can remember these had no such impact on me. Asked my parents on the phone for this question and they told me the same.

They though said, that I always liked the movies which required a lot of imagination.

Actually 2. One rather close, the other one not as much. Person A

Person B was a girl in 5th class. She started to cut herself when her boyfriend (that she loved more than everything else I guess, at least that is what it seemed like) betrayed her with a girl from the local soccer team. The last I heard is that she went to therapy in another city. I did not know her well, so I can not tell if she was influenced by something like movies or stories.

I'm still developing the paper in my head, so if you have anything to add to the topic that'd be greatly appreciated!

Do not start to ask questions you do not want to know the answer of. Also: there might be topics around feelings and love and stuff that you might fail to explain. Do not waste your time on these, many scientist before you tried dozens of hundreds of years long and died not knowing. And if they did, they apparently took that knowledge into their graves for a good reason.

- Pax

Edited by Pax'Jarome Malues