Impulse 9

Azzwort for UOTC

Add Azzwort as an UOTC Officer?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Add Azzwort as an UOTC Officer?

• Yes
    • No

I'm applying to be a UOTC officer. I've written a roadmap for getting what I want done accomplished:

UOTC roadmap:

PHASE 1:

Week 1-2: Recruit trainers, criteria: WILLING TO TRAIN. Move initial training materials to the Wiki. This includes the Famil outline.

Week 3 or 4: Train the trainers, do this in a few sessions. Give them the basic idea on how to teach others, give them criteria as to how to keep classes short and concise . Try to actually keep the classes short and concise. Training will be based on azzwort's Famil outline with the intent to be mostly practical training. Famil outline: HERE

Week 4 or 5: get schedules from trainers, establish training schedule.

Scheduling goals:

1. Run classes once a week, alternating time zones each week.

2. Keep the times consistent, or at least easy enough to keep track of so that Any Player can tell a prospective student when a course is.

3. Rotate trainers, this prevents trainers getting overworked, and gives the player base a wide range of knowledge to receive training from. WITH THAT SAID: Training needs to be kept at least a little bit consistent, content can be rearranged, but all the content needs to be covered.

Week 4 or 5: Begin work on training videos. Video subjects will be from the list in the Famil outline, with further additions based on user feedback. These will follow the layout and format of the training videos that have been made in the past. Primary goal with these videos is to keep them short and concise, something for players to watch while they’re downloading their mods perhaps. Maybe even have a supercut version that places videos all in one longer video for players who just want to knock the whole thing out at once. Example shot list: HERE

Early month 2: Begin training. Have those who trained the trainers sit-in on first few trainings to provide pointers and to take over if trainer is...less than ideal.

PHASE 2:

Handling specialty trainers:  Specialty training can be requested by ANY person who is willing to lead a course, they will need to provide at least a baseline training procedure (something akin to the Famil outline) on the wiki, but the goal is to give them carte blanche to train how they want. These trainings fall outside of the normal training schedule and will be scheduled at the trainer’s convenience. The one condition is they cannot interfere with the training schedule.

Continuing education: Non-training practice courses, the Tiger Team, the Fireteam Practicals, will be supported and encouraged. Tiger team should be re-established in some respect in order to facilitate more “intense/realistic” training. Groups like this should meet at least once a month, preferably on weekdays or during weekend downtime.

Visibility: Training schedule will be posted on the front page of the website, and possibly advertised elsewhere. Schedule should also utilize calendar, and teamspeak announcements.

Long term: See what works, fix what doesn’t, keep things simple. Keep things efficient. The biggest long term issue is the continuing lives of UO’s trainers. We can add trainers as needed.

This poll requires a simple majority lasting two weeks.

Yes.

Also please clean your keyboard. I think I got gonorrhea from watching that clip.

Keyboard has been replaced.

As one of the very few somewhat still active instructors, some questions:

Do you have any plan in terms of how you wanna structure the training beyond the familiarization course?

The Familiarization Course is among the very few courses that is still somewhat regularly taught and actually works in its current form.

While there is a variety of content in it that can be transferred into videos, which I'm very much in favor for, these videos first need to be produced.

Why do we have to reinvent it again?

If I'm reading this right, your intent is at least initially to limit the official training activity to the Familiarization Course only, and then have a minimum of one course per week that the Instructor pool must provide?

Yes. Previous UOTC Officers have done an admirable job in executing their intentions and ideas; however, the changing dynamic of UO now requires another individual to continue rolling the ball. Azzwort's outline functions to provide a different approach to the age old strategy UOTC has tried. UOTC in the past hasn't been the most successful office, now that there's no one running it, I believe that a new individual and strategy would do it well.

He's the Hero UnitedOperations deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero, he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Training officer. 

Voting yes. 

Whos going to train the trainers?

Echoing zumorc do you have a plan for courses beyond famil? Or even a rough idea of what you would like to provide?

Whos going to make the videos?

Your the only active PRO (atleast the most visible one)

What will be your priority? UOTC or PRO?

Voting 'No' until you update your font color to something other than Red.  I got to fight for our color blind brothers rights!

Ok I'll give in this once, Yes.

Do you have any plan in terms of how you wanna structure the training beyond the familiarization course?

Yes. It's covered in the section titled "Handling Specialty trainers".

The Familiarization Course is among the very few courses that is still somewhat regularly taught and actually works in its current form.

While there is a variety of content in it that can be transferred into videos, which I'm very much in favor for, these videos first need to be produced.

Why do we have to reinvent it again?

Having looked over an old famil course (which may or may not be up to date) and comparing it with the famil outline I linked in the OP, it looks to be essentially the same class. However, I'd like to speed up video production, and get several sections ported over to something that doesn't require players to sit in-game and listen to someone tell them about the values of UO. If you take note of the road map, the intent is to at least have some of these videos started or done by the time training starts. I've never said I'm reinventing the wheel, but I also don't have access to current training materials (specifically the links HERE to course guides do not work), so until I do, I've had a course outline written for something like a year now, that's my basis until I find something better, if you can provide that "something better" by all means do so.

If I'm reading this right, your intent is at least initially to limit the official training activity to the Familiarization Course only, and then have a minimum of one course per week that the Instructor pool must provide?

It may be more or less than one course per week, at least one every 10 days, and as I've stated in the road map, I'd like to expand the number of trainers, and essentially delegate running the courses to them. Essentially get their availability and schedule them like workers in a store. It may not sound glamorous, but it should prevent one trainer from doing all the classes all the time, which is a good thing.

Whos going to train the trainers?

Myself, Headshot, and hopefully the current UOTC staff if they're willing to help out. As stated above, the class will be based on the Famil guide I wrote, but if there is a better option that is presented to me (and keep in mind I may prefer mine), I will use it.

Echoing zumorc do you have a plan for courses beyond famil? Or even a rough idea of what you would like to provide?

I would like to establish a baseline training before worrying about more specific training items, however, if you wish to teach a course about something that interests you, you will be more than welcome, as stated in the "handling specialty trainers" section of the roadmap.

Whos going to make the videos?

If I get a volunteer to do it, them. If not, me.

Your the only active PRO (atleast the most visible one)

What will be your priority? UOTC or PRO?

Considering the amount of delegation I've stated I intend to do, they're going to essentially be part of the same job. Setting up training shouldn't cut into event prep or vice versa.

Having looked over an old famil course (which may or may not be up to date) and comparing it with the famil outline I linked in the OP, it looks to be essentially the same class. However, I'd like to speed up video production, and get several sections ported over to something that doesn't require players to sit in-game and listen to someone tell them about the values of UO. If you take note of the road map, the intent is to at least have some of these videos started or done by the time training starts. I've never said I'm reinventing the wheel, but I also don't have access to current training materials (specifically the links HERE to course guides do not work), so until I do, I've had a course outline written for something like a year now, that's my basis until I find something better, if you can provide that "something better" by all means do so.

You could have obviously made the effort to ask one of the instructors that ran a Famil in the last six months if their course is based on something other than thin air.

The Famil Course Lesson Plan with the accompanying mission that we have been using for more than a year now, has been continuously refined and improved by myself and many other instructors and assistants.

Of course this is something that I have a vested interest in, because I spent with others many hours to create and improve it, but if there is something better I'd be happy to let go of it, your seven bullet point document to me is not it.

To me this just shows that you haven't bothered with looking into what our Training Center has been doing the last months and years, and to me that is not a basis to take over the office.

Edited by zumorc

You could have obviously made the effort to ask one of the instructors that ran a Famil in the last six months if their course is based on something other than thin air.

All two of them?

The Famil Course Lesson Plan with the accompanying mission that we have been using for more than a year now, has been continuously refined and improved by myself and many other instructors and assistants.

The lesson plan you linked is the one I looked over, and again, it's essentially a more detailed version of my outline. 

Of course this is something that I have a vested interest in, because I spent with others many hours to create and improve it, but if there is something better I'd be happy to let go of it, your seven bullet point document to me is not it.

To me this just shows that you haven't bothered with looking into what our Training Center has been doing the last months and years, and to me that is not a basis to take over the office.

Because they haven't bothered to do all that much in the last months and years. The only reason I'm applying for this office is because of the literal years of do-nothing promise makers who want to write all this material while letting the simple things like "Making people able to do basic things in the game" fall by the wayside. Even the simple act of advertising training required a UOTC officer to give me a temp position in the office, which allowed me to do it. I would like members of the current training group to help me get things started, but if you don't wish to help me get a regularly scheduled, basic course running, that is your prerogative.

Edited by azzwort

Because they haven't bothered to do all that much in the last months and years. The only reason I'm applying for this office is because of the literal years of do-nothing promise makers who want to write all this material while letting the simple things like "Making people able to do basic things in the game" fall by the wayside. Even the simple act of advertising training required a UOTC officer to give me a temp position in the office, which allowed me to do it. I would like members of the current training group to help me get things started, but if you don't wish to help me get a regularly scheduled, basic course running, that is your prerogative.

This just shows so gross disrespect for the literally hundreds of man-hours instructors, officers and team-efforts (like the FTP etc.) have invested into this community's training, its hard to even take it's measure.

But even though I'm apparently standing in a long line of "Do-Nothing Promise Makers", I will promise to not stand in the way of change if that is what the community wants to see.

I think at least this made your view-point much more clear to everybody.

Edited by zumorc

Voting yes.  The UOTC officer can be someone who co-ordinates the instructors and assistants.  Doesn't necessary have to be someone is skilled in creating documents or instructing.

It would be helpful if the officer could motivate people and help gather players together to help with training tasks.

Azzwort could do this.

I'll help him if we have a basic infantry standard and mutually support each other.  If everyone is teaching independently/differently I see no reason for a cadre. 

After talking with Azzwort I'm happy to vote yes and would encourage anyone who has abstained or voted no to reconsider