Sign in to follow this  
Rambo2

UO Infantry Basics part 6: Urban Combat

I am happy to announce that the work on the sixth series of UO Infantry Basics is complete! 

It has been quite a while since me and AC337 have started working on it in January and with the great help of J.B. I have decided to finally finish it. Special thanks also to everyone that spend their time to partake as actors or was involved otherwise! Since some of the scene have been recorded a while back, I am missing some names, but in no particular order thanks to Znoop, Musper, Scharkk, Briland, if you aren't on this list send me a PM!

If you haven't yet seen the rest of the series, you can check it in the spoilers.

Original thread and story behind the videos: http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/22747-uo-infantry-basics-video-series-discussion-thread/

P.S Slider contributed a scene as well!

Edited by Rambo2

Cool !

Thx for your work.

Your video are very usefull and must be linked in the getting started guide for the newcomers

Videos are getting better and better, especially from the technical side.

What camera tool are you using to film, or are you scripting the camera moves in advance?

Videos are getting better and better, especially from the technical side.

What camera tool are you using to film, or are you scripting the camera moves in advance

It is a combination of camera.sqs executed on me, with acre specating mode. Camera is all done manually in combination with tracking/or joystick for fluidity, depends what the scene requires.

Always ask first.

It's a public video, he doesn't need to ask permission. It's already on YouTube, everyone can seen it. If anything this helped getting UO more known.

Great work on the video guys, keep up the good work. 

Ya it is fine. Just send me a pm if you link it somewhere so I can upvote or whatever :biggrin:. Also my mailbox has been full, but thats fixed now, apologies.

Edited by Rambo2

Been waiting for this! Nice job Rambo and the team.

Some supplemental information:

Slicing The Pie versus Incremental Method

You said (@3:18) that, "Pieing a corner is where you slowly turn a corner scanning for enemies as you do so." This is not true.

Slicing the Pie, a smooth, fluid semi-circular motion, clearing small angular increments until defined*. You only expose what is necessary to engage singular threats. If this is done too fast you often push your body out and expose more than necessary.  This can be done on approach to a room, on the near side of the door, corner or other object. This is good for covert or low-risk entries, but in an active firefight if you 'lose the angle' you often have to play catch-up and "peek-a-boo" to win the angle, against a muzzle, which is not good.

*I.e. until you make entry, until you see a threat, until you see an obstacle.

Also known as: cutting the cake, partition drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj_bzKnWCKk

Incremental Method, a stable, stop-start motion of clearing predesignated angles and micro-pausing at each, staying in cover or concealment at each point. It can be done very fast, taking large portions of the room or corner quickly. This allows you to fight for the angle and keep momentum going or pull away from the angle and back into cover or concealment. When this is done on a singular angle to be ready to engage immediately or visualize then pull into cover immediately it is known as a quick-peek. This is good for dynamic entries where speed is key. It also has pros in high-risk entries where the team may engage and work from the door. People often automatically revert to this when engaged and losing the angle whilst pieing and therefore wrongly perceive it as pieing.

Also known as: segmented search, "framework", "edging".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEN514VkU0Q

Differences revisited:

• Pieing is a fluid semi-circular motion whereas the incremental method is a stop-start motion;
  • Pieing clears undefined angular increments whereas the incremental method clears predesignated angles;
  • Pieing often has no pause and is associated with making a direct entry the whereas the incremental method has micro-pauses at each angle and is associated with fighting from the door or fighting for the angle if you cannot make direct entry.

Center-fed vs Corner-fed

The video would be easier to understand if (@8:51) you showed a diagram. I do not think it's clear what is 'worst' corner and the 'worst' room to clear.

BScmTfN.png

From here you can easily explain why one is 'easier' to clear than another. You can see more of the room from the door in a corner-fed than a center-fed; a center-fed has two hardcorners as opposed to one in a corner-fed. Easy. CENTER-FED = harder to clear.

Hardcorner versus Softcorner

The same as above (@5:02 and @8:10), the video would have been easier to understand if you stuck to the terminology.

QYYrrHe.png

Hardcorner - a corner that cannot be seen from the door. It may be known as the unknown corner, unseen corner, far corner, blind corner, etc. You cannot directly engage these points from the door and usually have to physically enter to clear them.

Softcorner - a corner that can be seen from the door. It may be known as the known corner, seen corner, near corner, etc. Therefore you can engage from the door before meeting threshold.

It's easier than to translate this into why immediate entries clear hardcorners first, because they can't be seen from the entrypoint therefore are seen as dangerous if left uncleared or not cleared early. Easy. HARDCORNER = BAD NEWS, CLEAR FIRST.

An example of this (@7:30) would be to explain what the 'gap of dispersion' is. Limiting the gap between people entering means you're quicker to clear the room. If you have a larger gap of dispersion and the left hardcorner isn't cleared then the enemy has the advantage being able to engage pointman then wait for secondman to enter. It's easier to understand, for me, if it's broken down like this. Then people have a standard. When I taught CQB ages ago unofficially here at UO we had a standard of <2 seconds per man entering, then people were getting better and better so we dropped it to 1 second. That was a loooong time ago.

Stackless Entries

People who play ArmA are often taught one overarching type of entry - stacked. From stack to buttonhook, stack to straight, the whole stack into a wallflood or strongwall. It's pretty standard across the board. This breeds the thought process that all entries are done from the stack and that you must stop on every door and get into a stack before entering. This is completely untrue. Hopefully you'll make future videos that go over this, fingers crossed.

You guys did a really good job. Covered the basics.

" I am high, you wanna be high or low?" xD xD

I always smile when  I see crouched people storming a room, unfortunately arma is not simulating the speed correctly yet.

Here is a good video that shows aggressiveness and movement, moving to the rooms point of domination.

Edited by kOepi

Thanks Rye and kOepi for the info and everyone for all the positive feedback. I just wanted to say, that I am always open to new projects and if anyone wants to produce with me a video/series on a specific field of expertise feel free to send me a PM and we can talk about more details. As far as the technical part of the videos, this can only get better.

Edited by Rambo2

... unfortunately arma is not simulating the speed correctly yet.

No. Paces in ArmA3 are fine. (Walk|combat pace|running|sprinting) Issue comes with the part that UO players are not on an equal level & are untrained on standard procedures. This has been discussed more than enough in the past 2 years and is a known fact.

If people would use the combat pace (often reffered to as "swag walk" on the server), guns up and correct communication speedish clearance of structures wouldn't be a thing to talk about.

Clearing a structure at a run is retarded and will only result in people getting killed. Do it at a walk!

That video is an extremely poor example of building clearance drills. Please god don't try to do this on the server!!

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Cut the cake (or pie), check your arcs and your corners, shoot first and you MIGHT live long enough to see the entire building cleared

Clearing a structure at a run is retarded and will only result in people getting killed. Do it at a walk!

That video is an extremely poor example of building clearance drills. Please god don't try to do this on the server!!

Rambo's or kOepi's video?

kOepi's video of course...Rambo's isn't showing ramboing through a building telling Murika (no pun intended).

Sorry Fox, too late. Tried it with a fireteam sized element of trained players (colleagues) with whom I do stuff like that more often.

We randomly placed AI in buildings and attempted to clear them. As we walked in the room (even when stacked) the AI had enough time to react and wound 1 and kill one of our team.

We retried in another building, that time in combat pace.

We all used Rambos techniques. Plus going in guns up + combat pace worked brilliant. We cleared the whole building of 6 ENY AI w/o taking a single shot where we before didn't even get close to the third room.

Stamina proved to be a problem though as soon as a building got more than 4 rooms.

secured stamina breaks where necessary especially for the AR.

Kind regards

Pax

Sorry Fox, too late. Tried it with a fireteam sized element of trained players (colleagues) with whom I do stuff like that more often.

We randomly placed AI in buildings and attempted to clear them. As we walked in the room (even when stacked) the AI had enough time to react and wound 1 and kill one of our team.

We retried in another building, that time in combat pace.

We all used Rambos techniques. Plus going in guns up + combat pace worked brilliant. We cleared the whole building of 6 ENY AI w/o taking a single shot where we before didn't even get close to the third room.

Stamina proved to be a problem though as soon as a building got more than 4 rooms.

secured stamina breaks where necessary especially for the AR.

Kind regards

Pax

Did you cut the cake? You turn at the same speed regardless of whether you are running or not so by all logic taking it slow should mean you live longer.

I believe he's referring to pace not when slicing outside the breach point, but when actually breaching through and dominating the room.

ARMA 3 breaching tactics should focus on establishing fire superiority.  Pieing corners is one of the best methods to limit the enemies capable fire power when initially establishing yours.  In enclosed spaces though, such as tight hallways, alleyways or doorways, a faster pace of assault is oftentimes necessary to prevent a fireteam to squad size wipe.  Realistically, the defenders of a breech are limited physically with impromptu battle positions consisting, of bullet permeable-concealment more so than cover, that results in  a lack of space during a firefight to properly manage their equipment in the form of reloading and grenades.  Generally ARMA buildings lack furniture, which reduces the enemy concealment choices but removes the predictability of a defender's location that is caused by the lack of space.  Both reloading and grenades are consistently usable and effective in all environments because of the robotic nature of ARMA's gunplay.  Overall Rambo's video is a good example of adapting to the physical limitations provided to us by videogames in general.  Rye though makes a great point about focusing to much on specific tactics, the example given being stacking, being detrimental to gameplay. 

From my personal narrative, it seems magdumps and grenades are the largest danger in CQC building-clearing followed by slow attrition due to causalities halting the advance.  Both the recoil of weapons and grenades are easier to control than their real life counterparts making mass casualty breeches much more likely.  One aspect of stacking I would like to see change is the AR being designated to cover the door as it opens from either one side or the direct front instead of the pointman who is instead should be given the task to open the door from the unoccupied side.  Unless players are using the (ACE?) feature to slowly open doors, ARMA functionally opens doors almost instantly, and having the door covered with maximum firepower before opening it can lead to immediate dominance of the easy-corners by utilizing both the PM's and AR's firepower where in real life executing such a tactic is difficult.  My final note is that for players to be situationally aware, this range from keeping communication flowing in tough to PID scenarios to considering attempting to shoot enemies through walls as being surprised can be the most detrimental.

I'm just going to end this conversation right here

How to clear a room

f6d59adfc5e08c7bea814b102e6b0836.jpg

Grenades_2f1926_1311689.jpg

When in doubt burn em out!

Edited by Fox D