kOepi

mission maker tutorial or: what to do to become a certified UO mission maker

Hello guys,

I have this plot of a TvT mission in my head and I am pretty positive that I can make this mission with only knowing about the UO standards and guidelines.

But I want to make it right, so I am asking whether there are such guidelines and/or a tutorial/ graduation mission, so both sides know that they

are competent enough.

greetz

kOepi

Edited by kOepi

Duplicate Account - Merged/Banned

User received a warning point for this post.

Edited by Impulse 9
3.3 - Disruptive Posting, Flame War Inciting/Contributing. 3.4 - Zero Content, Uninformative, Unhelpful, and Off Topic posting.

Comment in reply to permabanned user - Duplicate Account Merged.

Uh. I dont think I am here to become friends with everyone and if someone gets "offended" by my mission, there will be something very wrong anyhow. But thanks for the headzup.

Comment in reply to permabanned user - Duplicate Account Merged.

Sorry to inform you that this doesn't really work like this.

OT:

(good) TvTs are usually hard to make, especially when it comes to balancing. I would suggest that you start with a small TvT (around 20-25) as this will reduce the numerous parameters that you will need to tweak to make your mission balanced. Make sure you don't include too many assets while still providing some to give a bit of wiggle room to each side while still make sure that the attacking side has (in some way) the upper hand while still giving a chance to the defending side (I suppose that's called balancing).

On a technical standpoint I strongly recommend that you use the Olsen Framework and if you have any questions regarding scripting come to me or hang out in the chinook channel.

As far as guidelines go, familiarise yourself with the official documentation available on the wiki relating to mission submissions.
http://www.unitedoperations.net/wiki/Mission_Submission_Process
http://www.unitedoperations.net/wiki/Mission_Submission_Requirements
http://www.unitedoperations.net/wiki/Briefing_Guidelines

Assuming you've not done this sort of thing before, and following the trend of throwing in random pearls of wisdom:
Make sure you are running with showscripterrors onhttps://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters (not a scooby where that stuff is in PWS, havent launched using that in forever)
Test, test, and test some more, then do the same on SRV3 (Technical tests before gameplay, gameplay can be adjusted on feedback that could be prevented by technical bugs)

Ask in teamspeak for help if you need it, there's usually somebody online with some experience that could, maybe, possibly help/confuse things further.
Learn to use google, and get used to trawling the BI forums: don't be afraid to search back to the murky days of ArmA 1, it's unlikely your problem/question/idea hasn't been thought of before and you can normally find some useful info here and there, or waste an entire evening...no guarantees.

Throwing a pearl of wisdom, especially for TVT's

Whenever you add in an asset or a feature to a mission think to yourself "How could this be abused?"

If you can think of ways to use it against your intent then people will do exactly that

Throwing a pearl of wisdom, especially for TVT's

Whenever you add in an asset or a feature to a mission think to yourself "How could this be abused?"

If you can think of ways to use it against your intent then people will do exactly that

well, I can understand your point of view, but regarding a limit of an AO as an example, is something that makes sense in some way,

but on the other hand it takes away a lot of freedom and immersion which is pushing it further to counterstrike.

Edited by kOepi

well, I can understand your point of view, but regarding a limit of an AO as an example, is something that makes sense in some way,

but on the other hand it takes away a lot of freedom and immersion which is pushing it further to counterstrike.

Depends on how you use the "AO" limit, in reality military units of any size are given boundaries to operate within, sometimes less sometimes more specific.

You can always make your limit more soft, by first displaying a message and allowing them to move within a certain buffer until they hit a hard limit.

Alternatively you can always place natural or man-made obstacles: minefields, wire obstacles, swamps, rock formations etc. 

Edited by zumorc

yea. the boundaries just become pointless, when its impossible to flank, the more the enemy covers, the more you would need to flank, so I consider it as of secondary importance.
what I was referring to are those TvT missions, in which you are with two squads and cover a side of 400 meters, what a fireteam could oversee, ( depending on the terrain.) and then having this

invisible wall.
Well I try to do it just the other way around. freedom of movement, but a timelimit.
I think you guys will like it and even those who normally dislike TvT might sympathise with it.

Every single military operation will have an AO, be it a squad or an entire Army, you will always hit an LOE at some point

Thats one of the things we do very poorly at UO is stopping at LOE's. Which is why they are often a hard limit (As in an invisible barrier) Personally I usually use a soft limit (Brief and map marker limits) but sometimes (And especially for tvt) you need to put in place a system that prevents abuse

Always remember that even though we never operate as an element larger than a company IRL you will always have elements operating around you so its important as a mission maker you bear in mind "what is the rest of the battalion doing?"

I do soft AO for attackers and hard AO for defenders. The attacker AO is too prevent hour-long road marches to the biggest hill in the area. It tells the CO to attack from a specific direction while still allowing them to utilize terrain and cover outside the defined AO. The defender AO is there to prevent people from attacking the attackers at their spawn and to keep them within the area they are supposed to defend. 

In my experience, time limits are frustrating and more harmful than helpful. Many a mission has run its 1.5-2 hour time limit with fuck-all happening and turns into a colossal waste of time. 

I think you guys will like it and even those who normally dislike TvT might sympathise with it.

Can't wait.

Right, no more Magaritavilles please.

Someone remembers that mission I threw together to seed the server.. haha.. not the one I wanted people to remember! 

Someone remembers that mission I threw together to seed the server.. haha.. not the one I wanted people to remember! 

There might be a lot of people who disliked this mission, but I personally enjoyed playing it after a very long mission.  

Unfortunately I don't own the game; but making a mission like Margaritaville would be really simple. (it took me like 1-2 hr, most of that being deciding the loadouts..) 

If i were to remake it, I would probably put randomized spawn areas and make it a bit bigger to stop people from nading eachother in the beginning. However, if I came back to mission making, I would be making more complex stuff like my other missions. I miss making those, like Kambanush mountain and the CIA operative one in the swamp. Those were great fun to make.