HeadShot

Any interest in courses, training, or even Mission Making?

Lately there's been a lull in the number of courses and training opportunities being offered, and UO hasn't had an influx of new players for quite a while; however, is there any interest in learning, courses, or training from the current populace?

Edited by HeadShot

If by regularly you mean each two to three weeks then yes, you are correct. To believe this is an abundance is curtailed completely when seeing the 19 replies on the current page ranges in date from 07OCT2014 until 09JUL2015 (just near 9 months) and with several of the requests from the same persons. As this thread popped up I glanced onto the primary in TS and counted 11 out of 38 user being tagged with some course of UOTC. This is 28,9% of the population on a populated night (this is a single sample and is of course liable to change as the population fluctuates). While there were more players on the server I would have guessed had taken a course at some point they didn't have a tag for it. Taking into consideration the tag system was implemented under the Godhand/Yaxxo UOTC officership it puts the system introduction to 2012. That is over 3 years were these players haven't refreshed their knowledge from UOTC courses.

The interest I saw under my tenure as TO was a steady but small stream of players new to the community as a whole and many repeat attendants. I talked to Jimbo and while this is paraphrased it essentially boiled down the FTPs of A2 stopping largely due to the attendants being the same people over and over again. If you read this Jimbo feel free to correct me, but that was the essential reasoning I got from it.

The segment of our ArmA playerbase that is willing to train and learn doesn't constitute a majority and this is sad for mature, tactical gaming community. 

Edited by J.B.

A mission making class may be something different from the usual UOTC course and help give people the confidence in making more missions.  This could spur more people into being interested into doing actual training.

I agree with you J.B. that there has not been a large interest in the population in doing actual training.  This has always been an issue and I don't know what could be done to change this.  There are the few who repeat the courses, like me, who want to improve themselves.  Practice is always a good thing and we should not deter that.

Missions and training, eh?

Without training we will only ever be casual gamers. I've always thought that training is the foundation and backbone of good teamwork and as such everyone should attend training regularity. I've tried to show up at training and will continue to do so. We need participants for training to work.

Would love to hear from everyone if they are interested or if they don't want to train.

ublaDNN.jpg?1

I stopped trying to make missions in about 2012 but appreciate the need for them. They are the material that provides the flavor that:, nourishes the community, maintains interest and builds our muscle.

I like the idea of mission makling classes. Also a class on ZEUS would be nice. FTP courses and squad leading would probably be the best classes to offer.

Well, I'm not the best missions maker; however, if people are interested in learning to make missions, I can teach the basics and help with understanding Olsen's Framework--which is a great tool for new mission makers. 

If anyone is interested, just send me a PM on the forums.

JB, together with Godhand, there were a number of widely helpful classes and courses offered in the past; however, I believe that a few issues outside of UOTC--primarily the lack of new people and growing experience among those who remain--lead to the issues you've posted about. I could go on about how the hostile environment and animosity towards players is causing the "death rate" to exceed the "birth rate" and along with the growing unfavourable PR, the community has grown stale, which is causing many of the issues faced today.

Even though a small number of UOTC personnel still exist, and the ever present few that attempt to amend the damages caused by others, if anyone is looking for unofficial classes or mentorship I will attempt to still work towards providing this service.

As one of those who actually enjoys trainings but hasn't completed any UOTC course since the tag system was implemented I would actually love to see more trainings.

What bothered me though when I first got here and attended the trainings was that on the server it had little use as the majority just didn't know about lots of the stuff taught and as you may know, if your FTL doesn't know the methods and movements, then you end up never using them. Same goes if you decide to team lead and there is no more than one guy in your team you could follow your orders but the rest has no idea.

I think regular trainings would be a nice thing if more than the usual people would attend them. I would suppose (my personal opinion), that a lot of the older members here see themselves as more than just capable of the basic stuff and won't refresh their knowledge. Although it would do good for them and the community as a whole.

Of course there is also the time factor. For people with less time at their hands, they often need to decide whether they wanna spend the evening training or playing a round with some buddies. And I guess playing a round with their buddies is more enjoyable and people consider the time better used.

Not to question the tag system, but I also felt sometimes (especially back in 12/13), that many players attended a UOTC course to get the tags and then stopped caring for it. I think those A2 FTP sessions were a great thing as they actually applied the basics learned and with repetition came the routine for those basic movements.

If I knew that most of the people on the server knew those basic fire team drills, then I myself would be much more willing to attend trainings again. I just feel that the little knowledge I got is way more than currently expected on the server and thus any additional will most likely never come to play and I will forget it after some time anyway.

At one point I thought about gathering some similar minded people to regularly meet up and train some basic fire team drills and other things (like navigation and radio operations) just to end up eventually with a nice little team that knows their stuff. But due to the slotting process chances would be really small to actually manage to end up all in one team on the primary, especially on higher populations where slotting is often rather strictly moderated. That would be something I am really looking forward to. A nice fire team where everyone knows their stuff and with good communications.

In short: I would love to see some more trainings again but it is the usual problem of getting people to actually join them. Especially those players who play a lot and lead a lot should make an example and start refreshing their knowledge and start requiring their squad and fire team members and leaders to be able to apply those basics.

I have always tried to participate in trainings and I believe in taking the same courses multiple times to grow more confidence in specific tasks and situations.

I also believe that PR is a reaaaally big deal in the area or training courses and I have suggested multiple times that courses should be announced regularly on the News-Sections and on Teamspeak to grow awarness of said Training Courses. Even though I have suggested it and the responsible officers have acknowledged said suggestions, nothing has happend. (It's sad to see the News-Section being completely dead, I believe theirs a lot of potential for PR and interesting articels evolving around UO, ArmA and the development of mods).

I believe the lack of participants also comes from their lack of awarness as it is almost impossible to know about courses unless you specifically look for them deep in the forum. The News-section helped me to get an overview of the scheduled courses for the coming week.

Also, as Jimbo mentioned before training is essential for this community... so why not prepare some really interesting courses and just shut down the Primary on one Prime-Day/Time to encourage ALL players to join trainings? I believe most players would enjoy proper training.

Edited by AndyKrause

FTPs of A2 stopping largely due to the attendants being the same people over and over again. If you read this Jimbo feel free to correct me, but that was the essential reasoning I got from it.

The segment of our ArmA playerbase that is willing to train and learn doesn't constitute a majority and this is sad for mature, tactical gaming community.

Well that was close JB but I actually thought that the same people attending the Practice sessions over and over again was a very good thing. I know that all of the players who repeated the sessions many times enjoyed them and said it helped to improve their skill on the primary. Moreover they were fun.

I think the reason that the FTPs (sessions) stopped was primarily because experienced members did not attend. If more of our experienced players had attended them at least a couple times a week it would have encouraged the new guys to attend them. I failed to promote the difference between practices and courses. Courses are fashioned to impart a lot of knowledge, they may become redundant if attended more than once. Practice sessions are designed to develop skills. They MUST be attended multiple times and they have to be very active and fun.

We also should have developed fireteam operations and leadership training as lectures, demos and exersizes offered after the practices were in full swing. It would have provided some more content that the participants were yearning for. I Know we lost a bunch of very keen players because there was too little buy in by more senior players and the followup fireteam/squad training was not available at a key time. Many of the participants hung in for months but eventually without the followup training and with so few of our members attending they became disheartened.

The final nail in the coffin was proposing to use the practice sessions as a punishment if a player was performing poorly. This idea emphasised that UO truly misunderstood the purpose of the sessions. The FTPs were intended for EVERYONE, to be repeated frequently as the basic drills for our communication. Only active soldiers should not be attending as students. And they must be fun so people would be interested. Training can't be forced on anyone.

Today I still see evidence that the practice sessions helped. When ever a leader orbats his team. Or someone indicates a direction with North or Southwest. When I hear a contact call with a direction and a distance, followed by a cry of "seen" or "not seen". That's all we were trying to teach . Simple communication for a multicultural, international, virtual environment.

But things are not so bad. Currently I find the gameplay good. Anytime the primary is populated I see good attitude and cooperation. Add just a little leadership and the experience is low Derp high tactical.

I'm nervous when anyone proposes "unofficial" training. Far to often this results in degrading the communication and undermining the teamwork. Unofficial instructors always seem to be well intentioned and mean to help the community but too often I see this type of training confuse people and as a result players on the primary end up telling others to do things incorrectly. Unofficial instructors often contradict UOTC and each other.

The UOTC has made considerable effort to develop consistent content even though the method of instruction is variable. It is a coordinated unified approach.

If everyone is doing drills or maneuvers in a unique method there is less teamwork than a group that is using the same playbook.

Yes interested in training regardless if it's the same course, though it's hard to make weekday's one on regular basis but over the weekend that's no problem.

From what I can observe, first of all we need more dedicated instructors such as Jimbo, who would provide frequent courses and practice sessions to teach the basics. Basics are a must have and if you truly want this community to get somewhere in terms of skills and teamwork, everyone has to practice the basics frequently. I may have not clearly understood the difference between courses and practice sessions myself, and as a result didn't attend them often, thinking it's better to leave some room for less experienced participants. Basics would include fireteam and squad formations, movement techniques, fire control and some drills like reaction to contact or squad assault, as well as basic casualty treatment.

Advanced courses such as MOUT, tank crew, squad and platoon level tactics and so on can be done once per 6 weeks or more, so they could perhaps be delegated to instructors with less free time available.

I would also suggest that platoon leaders are given the option to choose their squad leaders (say a list of names you'd rather see as your subordinates) if they wish to do so, same going for squad leaders choosing their team leaders. We have to promote the culture of allowing critical slots by merit when needed, and if a leader is comfortable with having newer subordinates he can have that option too, giving them a chance to earn experience. Fireteams would also benefit by having people who know each other playing together often, to improve that team's cohesion. I'm aware that this idea sounds like a slotting nightmare, but perhaps if you can choose who you want as your FTLs, then you're more likely to take that SL position.

I'm aware that this idea sounds like a slotting nightmare, but perhaps if you can choose who you want as your FTLs, then you're more likely to take that SL position.

Sounds more like a nightmare from High School popularity contest.  Lets not stray from Headshot's offer of help here please.

Sounds more like a nightmare from High School popularity contest.  Lets not stray from Headshot's offer of help here please.

Yeah, I've gone a bit off topic, sorry for that, but I've yet to see people fighting over SL and TL slots:)

More on topic though, I'd be interested in any courses as long as they are consistent with what has been taught so far and, if needed, can help as an observer to point out possible improvements to be made. PM me if you're interested.

about the tag system...

i completed several courses last year but they do not show as tags.

who do i contact to fix this?

i completed FTP1 on April24th and April 29th 2014 with Adrian

FTP2 on april 25th 2014 with bodei

fireteam leader course on may 14th 2014 with godhand.

i did the first session of the PL course, but that doesn't count since i did not complete it.

about the tag system...

i completed several courses last year but they do not show as tags.

who do i contact to fix this?

Contact Godhand or another UOTC instructor on teamspeak about the fireteam leaders course.

The FTP1 & FTP2 are practice sessions. Thanks for attending. We appreciate your efforts and contributions. You are the essential ingredient to making the training work. I hope you had fun and encourage you to attend FTPs again. See my post above.

Participants are not awarded tags for practice sessions. Also we don't award tags for field training exercises or events.

Sounds like the majority of interest is in TL classes. I'll work up something short and sweet while I'm away on Vacation. The classes UOTC offered were great, but I want to see if attendance would go up if I offered something more condensed. I leave for vacation tomorrow and will work on what it'll be, while i'm gone. I expect I'll run it the first or second weekends of Sept. depending on availability.

Those interested spread the word to boost interest, and please fill this our/pass it on:

http://goo.gl/forms/jxLFFYpG7y