Sign in to follow this  
kazu

PC Components

Wow my high end CAD machine does not even need that much ram or CPU power. You sure you need all of that? I think you'll be fine with a top tier i5 and save some cash too.

I am planning to do some rendering/streaming/recording on this machine so extra ram won't hurt, I think 16GB is also future proofing.

I'd like to have this build without upgrades for at least around 3 years+ as well as getting a 1440p monitor.

Edited by kazu

Probably not going for the GTX 980 Ti, it's pretty expensive, sticking to the same build, looking for a different mother board and then I'll have the complete list basically, thx all.

Concidering this one, good price : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/

(yes I need wifi :) )

Edited by kazu

CHF1800? Jeez, not even my friend that edits professional footage by the hundreds doesn't pay that much for proper hardware..

Probably not going for the GTX 980 Ti, it's pretty expensive, sticking to the same build, looking for a different mother board and then I'll have the complete list basically, thx all.

Concidering this one, good price : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/

(yes I need wifi :smile: )

Don't bother with the 980 than if you aren't getting a Ti. It just doesn't have the price/performance ratio to make it worth 525 USD. I'd just do a 970 or wait for the AMD R9 300 series that comes out this month.

Edited by The Count

let the man have some fun :wink:

Spending that much money for something you won't use to full capacity is like driving a Ferrari in a city.

Oh you could pretty easily push that machine to full capacity. The great thing about modern computers is you can do multiple things at once; having a few (lot) of tabs open on chrome, chatting on skype (which for some reason likes to eat a LOT of memory on my PC) while watching a high-res movie and playing a game, all the while a vidya is rendering in the background. Open up photoshop to make a quick graphic, no problem. Friend needs quick help on your favorite mmorpg? Just fire it up, help them out, then immediately go back to what you were doing.

That's all assuming normal usage, you could easily push it further with things like heavy calculation or memory scanning.

Personally the first builds looks great, everything else mentioned is mostly personal preference really.

Keep in mind that you want to play ArmA 3 and other future games, technology is advancing quickly and games are getting more needy. Instead of cutting down 30% of your budget to be able to run current games just use your budget and you will be fine for a much longer time. Why do you think you have to buy a new console every year? Right, because the components are made to just barely handle current graphics. So use your budget and you will be happy for a long time.

Personally the first builds looks great, everything else mentioned is mostly personal preference really.

Keep in mind that you want to play ArmA 3 and other future games, technology is advancing quickly and games are getting more needy. Instead of cutting down 30% of your budget to be able to run current games just use your budget and you will be fine for a much longer time. Why do you think you have to buy a new console every year? Right, because the components are made to just barely handle current graphics. So use your budget and you will be happy for a long time.

Future proofing PC hardware is an oxymoron. It's not possible, and you'll waste colossal amounts of money trying. Instead of buying a top of the line card now, you can wait two years and get a card with better performance for half the price. Riding the bleeding edge is going to do just that - bleed you of all your cash. Telling someone "you'll be fine for a much longer time" is just downright false.

With that said, it looks like Kazu has finalized his build list, and the time to criticize and make suggestions has passed.

Congrats on the new hardware Kazu. The upgrade to an SSD is life changing. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Edited by Overlord

Future proofing PC hardware is an oxymoron. It's not possible, and you'll waste colossal amounts of money trying. Instead of buying a top of the line card now, you can wait two years and get a card with better performance for half the price. Riding the bleeding edge is going to do just that - bleed you of all your cash. Telling someone "you'll be fine for a much longer time" is just downright false.

With that said, it looks like Kazu has finalized his build list, and the time to criticize and make suggestions has passed.

Congrats on the new hardware Kazu. The upgrade to an SSD is life changing. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thank you very much! never had SSD before so yhe... I'm expecting a lot.

I'd like thank every one that contributed to the thread as well with your opinions and past experiences, it really changed my mind about certain components and I am sure it is for the better for the long run.

On top of this I am getting a 144hz monitor because it would be a sin if I didn't with these specs. Thanks again guys. 

I used to have a 480, was top-of-the-line when it came out, it's still in the top 45 cards on the market right now and still performs. (the best bit about that card is it had a dual use, one for processing graphics and the other for heating the room it's in. 110 degrees celsius is the max I ever got it to, what the fuck!)  Trying to constantly stay on the bleeding edge is stupid and will drain yo money, but upgrading to the bleeding edge every 5 years or so, not so much.

I used to have a 480, was top-of-the-line when it came out, it's still in the top 45 cards on the market right now and still performs. (the best bit about that card is it had a dual use, one for processing graphics and the other for heating the room it's in. 110 degrees celsius is the max I ever got it to, what the fuck!) Trying to constantly stay on the bleeding edge is stupid and will drain yo money, but upgrading to the bleeding edge every 5 years or so, not so much.

Exactly what I am trying to say. I upgraded to a R9 290X at the beginning of the year. Costs twice as much as my old card when it was new but I am pretty sure current build will last at least twice the time if not longer! I believe if you stay at the 'minimum' you have to buy new hardware more often, and that sometimes leads to other changes like a new motherboard, new RAM and a new PSU. At least that's what happened to me when I bought my first computer that was just in the 'can-barely-handle-it-now' range.

But as it being said, Kazu got his new hardware and I am sure he will be happy with it for a long time!