Sign in to follow this  
extracrispi

Army decides to waste more money on uniforms

The military making you pay for things you're required to wear or use seems pretty idiotic.

Then again Godhand tells me the Danish army makes you pay for food in the mess (apparently they give you "food money").

Comes out of your first paycheck, sometimes they split it between the first two.

Mine came out to about 850 when it was all said and done. Winter uniform issue is apparently an extra 200 dollars.

Betcherass I used that shit in Chicago in the middle of January though.

I'm paying for chow right now too. I'm technically at a sea duty station but my ship is at dry dock. They give me like fifty bucks a month  for food and charge three dollars a meal. Doesn't quite add up.

Accountants in the military are lazy.

Edited by Reaper Two

Yeah we get every single item we are required to have issued. so that is anything from underpants and socks to helmets and flakvests.

The annoying part is that at least once a year you have to show up with all your shit so an NCO can count it and see that you still have all the stuff you are supposed to have.

When something gets worn down you can trade it in for something new at the depot, but when something is lost you have to write up when,where,what,how you lost the item. and then your CO has to decide if the loss was due to neglince or not, if it was you get stuck with the bill for the item as well as an order for getting a new item issued.

In terms of food, since there is nothing preventing us from getting nice food in the civilian world, the defence forces decided that there was no reason to make crappy free food, when soldiers would rather spend their money on nice food. So they privatized the mess halls.

Although they do still issue food to people trapped in the camp for exercises or some such.

Yeah we get every single item we are required to have issued. so that is anything from underpants and socks to helmets and flakvests.

The annoying part is that at least once a year you have to show up with all your shit so an NCO can count it and see that you still have all the stuff you are supposed to have.

When something gets worn down you can trade it in for something new at the depot, but when something is lost you have to write up when,where,what,how you lost the item. and then your CO has to decide if the loss was due to neglince or not, if it was you get stuck with the bill for the item as well as an order for getting a new item issued.

In terms of food, since there is nothing preventing us from getting nice food in the civilian world, the defence forces decided that there was no reason to make crappy free food, when soldiers would rather spend their money on nice food. So they privatized the mess halls.

Although they do still issue food to people trapped in the camp for exercises or some such.

Damn....

In Germany we got a meal ration and tobacco ration card. When you would go to the DFAC or get some cigs, they would mark it. The meal ration was enough to last 3 meals per day for a month and the cigs for like 3 packs a week or something. If our cards were going to run out early, we could just get some more from our section SGT lol.

Edited by The BrentP

We get our initial issue (3 complete uniforms) for free and we can exchange it for free when it gets worn or torn. If you lose something you have to pay for a new one (a complete new uniform is like £20!)

Alot of guys will go diffy (Difficient) on stuff to get more than the issue (I have 5 complete uniforms)

We get free food on posting but garrison is pay as you dine, its cheap though, I set aside £200 to feed myself for the month. (£1.99 for dinner includes soup and dessert)

Edited by Fox D

fucking sigh... $313 a month is what is taken out of my paycheck for meals. And I can not tell them no. And yes we still have rations cards for cigarets and liquor here in germany.

Godhand, I'm pretty sure its a standard practice through all armies to do quarterly layouts of your issued items to make sure you still have them and charge you for anything missing.

fucking sigh... $313 a month is what is taken out of my paycheck for meals. And I can not tell them no. And yes we still have rations cards for cigarets and liquor here in germany.

Godhand, I'm pretty sure its a standard practice through all armies to do quarterly layouts of your issued items to make sure you still have them and charge you for anything missing.

Wow that's crazy. We didn't have anything taken out for meals, that I'm aware of. I still have an LES laying around in my storage unit, so I'll have to check it out next time I open it. I remember going to eat out in the economy a lot and always misplacing my meal ration card because I hardly ever used it lol.

Where abouts are you stationed?