Sign in to follow this  
TwoFace

Spec Op Missions

Hey Guys,

first off i want to mention that i got a lot of negative Feedback about this Topic in the Past but now with Arma 3 i want to bring it up again:

Spec Op Mission like Navy Seals etc.

Arma 3 gives us the Opportunity to dive in the Ocean use SDV's etc. i would love to see Missions in the Future that implement these Features.

We had a Act of Valor Mission in Arma 2 but with Arma 3 i feel like we can make a lot more out of that.

For some Reason a lot of People on here prefer the large Scale missions with several Platoons assaulting one point and maybe we can combine the two.

Maybe we can have Missions where a Plattoon strikes from one side and a diving team goes in from the back etc.

What do you guys think about the features and about Spec Op Missions ?

Greetings TwoFace

Yep, there's a lot of resources in the mission making forum.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to make a thread and ask.

My personal opinion:

There is nothing wrong with missions focusing on scenarios as special operations forces would face them. However, in my experience, most players have big trouble with basic infantry skills and showing patience in a normal squad environment. And I think both aspects are key to properly play a scenario that is based off a unconventional setup.

In fact, I often experienced (back in A2), that some players played those missions to not have to follow the conventional command structure and to more independently maneuver around and get more kills or in general more action.

I think those mission can be fun and should be included in the mission pool like most other mission types. But they should be played properly and not be seen as the 'elite' mission types where people feel special because they play as a 'operator'. In my opinion those missions should be conducted in a slow but smooth manner where contact should be avoided (unless necessary to complete the objective). Patience, basic infantry skills, good navigation skills and a good strategic mindset are the bare minimum what the players should bring into those missions. Long infiltration routes (depending on mission), rather long walks (walks != running) as well as long observation times and just a few minutes of action is what I imagine when hearing 'spec ops mission'. Have a sniper team infiltrate on foot and walk a few clicks to move into position while avoiding contact and then observe the target from their FFP just to take that one shot eventually to complete the objective and then exfiltrate again.

However, raiding a compound by infiltrating with littlebirds directly on the roof top and have 10 players kill 30 enemies to complete the objective and then rush out again is not what I consider a special operations type mission although it probably qualifies as one and most other people would enjoy such a mission.

To pick up on the example you made above: "Maybe we can have Missions where a Plattoon strikes from one side and a diving team goes in from the back etc."

This could be a good setup if the goal of the diving team is to destroy a enemy communications tower to avoid having them call in reinforcement... or to prepare an ambush to take out or delay enemy reinforcement... or to just provide intel to the main assaulting force etc. But if the goal is that the diving team is to just sneak in from behind and kill enemies, then I see no reason why this should be implemented rather than adding another squad to the main platoon.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. I wanna point out again, that basic infantry skills (which most players, myself included, lack) are the basics of the gameplay here at UO and that the goal should be to practice and perfect them. And conventional platoon setups or similar are the best way to do so on the primary. If I have a team that knows those basics and who can employ them reasonably in a mission, then I achieved what I came here for and I couldn't care less what type of mission I am currently playing.

I wouldn't play a mission considered "spec ops" with players who don't know how to be quiet, especially when bored.

But even then as Whiplash stated the smaller your group the more emphasis you need on infantry skills.

On one playthrough of Force's spec ops mission, after taking contact on the exfil and rushing back to the boats, I took part in a rear guard action with two other players where we had a continuous bounding movement with one man covering and the others moving, with almost no communication needed, for over a kilometre. This is not something I think I could do with most of the playerbase.

Thanks for the Feedback guys ! Yeah ofcourse i wasnt talking about that CoD Public Style of Spec Ops we are still a Mil Sim Community and we can just take the Real Life roles of Special Forces and copy them into a Mission. If you look at Movies like act of Valor you have 4 man moving in on a Target a sniper covering them and they move without talking. With ACE 3 coming in we can tap the shoulder make handsigns etc. that feature is for exatly these Moments. Would be most useful for TvT Missions where the enemy actually hears you. I am starting to think that i am the only one here that doesnt talk about Kills. Its the Mission that counts and if anybody wants to have the most kills then this Community is not for him. Special Forces are mostly used for tasks that cant be done by normal Soldiers and i want to keep it as such. If there arent a lot of People on the Server one could play a 10 Man Hostage Rescue mission or Kill Osama Bin Laden style of Missions and if there are more People on the Special Forces could be used for Special Tasks (For example destory a Radio Tower Sabotage their airplanes or Vehicles etc. The most important thing is that we keep it realistic and not send in a 4 Man team that kills 30-40 People which just doenst happen in Real Life. And VKing are not very Positive about the Playerbase. If its needed we could even make a Special Training Course for these Missions and the slots get a whitelist for people that took part in a Diving Practice etc.

Greetings TwoFace

As stated in this thread the problem with special operations missions is that people think they are "operator" and act like idiots. If people had decent basic skills it might work a bit better but at the moment many people see an operator slot as a licence to do stupid shit.

The same applies to any element that isn't an infantry squad or a tank really. Recce, snipers etc etc. People just treat them retardedly. Which is disappointing since IRL all of these elements are key in any operation.

The idea of having two seperate elements working in a mission is good in theory but in practice it usually ends up with one group sitting around waiting for the other groups to do things! Unfortunately :(

Also IRL many raid missions depend on surprise which is pretty much impossible to create in arma

Also IRL many raid missions depend on surprise which is pretty much impossible to create in arma

Only if the mission maker has no kind of QRF. Even placing units with a waypoint where they start would do, with outlying patrols. Thanks to ASR, when the patrols get in contact they will "radio" the other groups within 600m (I think) of them to come help. Therefore you can quickly use surprise to attack the enemy and get out before the units that are called in have a chance to react.

Only if the mission maker has no kind of QRF. Even placing units with a waypoint where they start would do, with outlying patrols. Thanks to ASR, when the patrols get in contact they will "radio" the other groups within 600m (I think) of them to come help. Therefore you can quickly use surprise to attack the enemy and get out before the units that are called in have a chance to react.

Well I meant real surprise, since its impossible to surprise the AI and players in tvts always know your coming

But yeah, you can beat a QRF in and out if you count that as surprise

since its impossible to surprise the AI 

You can easily surprise the AI. Don't blame the inabilities of some mission makers to make realistic scenarios on the engine. It is very easy to make a mission where the majority of the enemy force is inside compounds not in defensive positions with sentries and patrols around the perimeter.