AshB

Introduction - AshB

Greetings.

I've been playing Arma at UO for more than 2 years, so some of you might know me from gameplay there. I've been keeping one eye on the UOAF forums for quite a while. Not too long ago I built myself a new pc, and last week I got FaceTrackNoIR and my homemade IR point tracker working much more smoothly than before, so I thought now would be a good time to jump in.

I had zero hours in Falcon BMS before last week. Now a handful. I don't have any real world piloting experience, and I don't have much more than an average amount of enthusiasm for the military. What I do have is an interest in cooperative teamwork (hence playing Arma), machinery, technology, and [casually] aviation.

My input hardware is Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with dodgy on centre performance, G25 (in DCS I had the pedals working great as rudder, and shifter console for the hat switch. Not so in BMS.), and IR head tracker.

Even if I don't say much, I have spent a fair amount of time reading the forums. I consider myself to have a fair understanding of what is expected at UOAF. Yes, I have read the SOPs, the Getting Starteds, the tutorials, and watched the videos. Whether I absorbed, retained, and can recall much of what was in them is another matter :wink:

My time zone is GMT+12 so I don't expect to see a great amount of anyone. A lack of ability means it will be some time before I join multiplayer, and much longer before I consider joining an event. Before then, I'll surely have some questions which I will try to put in the right place.

Thanks for reading,

AshB

Welcome to the fold, AshB!

First of all, don't worry about your skill level yet; we'be all been there before, and this will take time and patience to master. If you get stuck or are looking for tips/tricks on a subject let us know and we will do what we can.

Welcome to UOAF

I'm at GMT+0, but if you can find a time when we are both available, I'll be happy to take you through the basics of BMS.

Thanks. If I'm free on a weekday, it's usually ~ 0700-1000Z. Weekends more or less whenever. But I prefer not to commit to anything regularly which is why I enjoy UO in general. Likewise I don't expect any regular commitment from anyone else (aside from the sign up required events of course).

I'll just be idling in TS whenever I'm in BMS learning mode so feel free to say hi if you see me there.

Welcome Ash! You will find people in the evening GMT time mostly. Ghostdog and Browning are the best "instructors" btw!

A big thanks to Browning for taking a risk inviting me to fly a couple of campaign missions with him so far. Most recent was last night in a fairly successful DCA. His ability to teach while live in the mission is great and it's a credit to him that we both made it back safe.

Thanks for flying with me all day bud. Was a ton of fun :) We made some hilarious mistakes, but we learned a lot, and that last NOE SEAD flight was righteous stuff.

Thanks for hosting Brainling, that was a super valuable session and what a way to finish, though I should probably get some more CCIP practice in... Can't wait for the next one.

It's a great feeling when all your practice and training culminates in a great mission result. Trust me, the feeling is amplified by a million when an entire package goes smoothly.

Thanks for hosting Brainling, that was a super valuable session and what a way to finish, though I should probably get some more CCIP practice in... Can't wait for the next one.

You did great, regardless. Especially when you were tracking that SA-6 fired on me, and let me know when I had defeated it. Gave me the confidence to roll in from the other side and drop that second CBU.

The one thing I can say with CCIP is that I only use the target stpt to give me a rough idea where the thing is, once I roll in it's all visual and I basically ignore the target stpt except as a reference to where I am. Sometimes the target stpt is right on the money, but many times the unit will have moved, or it was never exactly spot on, and you'll need to adjust pretty quick in the moment. Where those Gadfly's were in that mission, they were actually pretty easy to spot against the green ground (as they are sort of a tan color)...but man I wouldn't want to spot those in the desert.

Hey AshB!

Feel free to hit me up anytime you see me on TS, should be available most days between noon an 2300Z