Add Lexi as a Regular?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Add Lexi as a Regular?

• Yes
    • No

Hello Regulars,

I'm Lexi - UO member for almost over a year now and have decided I'd like to become a regular. I joined UO initially to join UOAF and learn how to fly in the sim; to eventually participate in the weekly BMS 4.32 events. As time went by, I eventually became a fully-fledged UOAF member, pickup-flight package leader and occasional nugget instructor (if you're looking to fly in BMS with UOAF it's likely you'll be taught by a mixture of Neyu, Ghostdog and myself). 

However, realising that UOAF was part of a greater community meant that I started playing ARMA 2 with you guys -- and (surprisingly to myself) I really enjoyed myself (though the flight models in ARMA 2 were awful). Upon the arrival of ARMA 3, I have started trying to get into UOTC courses to constantly better myself as well as seeking out more responsibility in leadership roles in missions I felt I could handle. 

I have represented UO (as UOAF) in Falcon Online, as VA for a SP DCS campaign and in inter-squadron relations / flights / training. I feel that as a minority group, more UOAF members should have a voice in Operations and personally would like to be a part of the discussion. I'm hoping to continue helping UOAF to develop a training program for BMS (and DCS at a later date), as well as improve my abilities in ARMA 3 so that I can be a good role-model for new players on the sever.

This poll requires a 2/3 vote lasting 1 week.

Sorry, but I haven't really seen you around at all. What do you have to offer UO as a Regular that you can't offer as a member? From what I can see, as evidenced by your post history, your contributions to UO (Arma side of house) beyond basic participation are non-existent. You claim you want a voice in Operations, but I can't find a single post from you in a policy thread.

Edited by Overlord

Easy yes from me. Lexi is part of a triumvirate including Ghostdog and Neyu that put forth a considerable amount of effort into UOAF through weekly participation and giving training to new pilots. Teaching someone how to fly is the hardest form of training to conduct, period. Don't believe me? Real life military pilots go to school for years, and only then does "real training" begin for 10+ years mandatory commitment. Training for aviation is such a pain in the ass that Krause and I simply gave up doing it. If anything speaks for her commitment to the community it is this. She also helped make our awesome squadron patch.

Lexi is a mature individual and always wants to learn something new. I can only imagine that her activity in ArmA mirrors that of BMS.

Take my word for it, Lexi wants to affect this community for the better. Take a look at the UOAF sub forum if you want to gauge her interest.

Force

Easy yes from me. Lexi is part of a triumvirate including Ghostdog and Neyu that put forth a considerable amount of effort into UOAF through weekly participation and giving training to new pilots. Teaching someone how to fly is the hardest form of training to conduct, period. Don't believe me? Real life military pilots go to school for years, and only then does "real training" begin for 10+ years mandatory commitment. Training for aviation is such a pain in the ass that Krause and I simply gave up doing it. If anything speaks for her commitment to the community it is this. She also helped make our awesome squadron patch.

Lexi is a mature individual and always wants to learn something new. I can only imagine that her activity in ArmA mirrors that of BMS.

Take my word for it, Lexi wants to affect this community for the better. Take a look at the UOAF sub forum if you want to gauge her interest.

Force

I would like to echo this sentiment. All my interactions with Lexi both flying with UOAF and on the Arma Servers have been extreamly positive. She consistently brings a positive and serious attitude to the sever. Additionally she has demonstrated her willingness to contribute to the community through her involvement with training in UOAF. 

I have no doubts that she's a great UOAF member. But that's my problem - that's where her participation in our community ends. UOAF is a small compartment within a larger organization. I have never seen Lexi in the barracks channels making an effort to get to know anyone outside UOAF. I've never seen her on our Arma servers (Verox's tool reports only 8 hours total). She states an interest in voting on policy. Why? She doesn't have a single opinion post in a policy discussion. Furthermore, what policy discussions have we had that have any bearing on her area of interest (UOAF)? Why should someone who only exists within UOAF have a vote on what mods we run on our Arma server, or what players we remove for disrupting the Arma side of house, or a vote to remove me as a GM from a game she doesn't participate in?

Regularship is not a merit badge; it is not an automatic promotion one simply receives for being unobjectionable. I expect candidates to bring something to the table, to offer something to our community at large, to be able to clearly demonstrate why they are deserving of a vote on issues that can have resounding effects and serious repercussions on our entire community as a whole. One cannot exist solely in a microcosm of a much larger organization and expect to be well informed enough to vote on issues with ramifications that affect everyone.

To use an old cliche, being a Regular is not about what UO can offer you, but what you can offer UO. As it stands now, the only thing this candidate offers is UOAF participation, and that's simply not enough.

Edited by Overlord

Force

Strong influential endorsement. I can't see how voting this type of person as "Reg" would have a negative impact on the community. I don't know Lexi but am very tempted to vote yes. Please add to this poll if you know more.

Edited by Jimbo

Being that the UOAF is playing the one of the three major games played here and that they do have a dedicated server supplied by UO I am glad that more UOAF member are willing to step up and take part in leading this community.  My interactions with Lexi has always been more than positive whether it was playing A2, A3, any of the other multitudes of games we played together or her willingness to teach me how to fly.  And yes I still need to make time to take you up on that.  She may not hang out in the barracks but this is usually because she's hanging out in the BMS channels.

This is an easy Yes for me. 

Sorry, but I haven't really seen you around at all. What do you have to offer UO as a Regular that you can't offer as a member? From what I can see, as evidenced by your post history, your contributions to UO (Arma side of house) beyond basic participation are non-existent. You claim you want a voice in Operations, but I can't find a single post from you in a policy thread.

This is actually a really good point! I'd like to point out that just because I do not make my voice heard in these discussions does not mean I am not reading them. Often times my sentiments already agree with previous points and I feel reiterating them would not be beneficial. You see, being a European and with most of these discussions starting late (past few have been 9pm-2am my time), means that by the time I have opportunity to post many members have made their voices heard. If your concern that my opinions are not yet noted, I will step up my presence in this area at the next opportunity.

Participation in the "ArmA side of the house" is more recent for me, coinciding with the resurgence of the ArmA 3 playerbase - timezones are an issue at play here and I do not play (either ARMA or BMS/DCS) if I feel my tiredness would affect my performance. The ability to offer anything to UO previously was minimal (since I joined during the decline of ARMA2 and played just prior to the switch over to ARMA3) but I feel that as ARMA3 and UOTC are getting back into full swing that the ability for me to "offer something" has emerged; whether that be on helping to start a ARMA3 course on flying the AFM Rotary or running Familiarisation/Fireteam courses (which I'm trying to complete myself, despite having acquired the knowledge from videos and experience in ARMA2/3) akin to how I behave and teach in BMS. It is unfortunate that the "most-active" periods are intimately tied to American wake/sleep cycles but as ARMA3 is once again bringing in more and more players, I am seeing more and more activity during hours I can actually participate in decent sized missions!

As far as going into the Barracks is concerned, I converse with those I already know (especially in the BMS section) that I don't generally have time to hop over to the TS just to chat - I come to the Teamspeak for ARMA or BMS but if you really want to get to know me better, drop me a line and we can talk (as several regulars have done prior, and I do speak to them!).

Edited by Lexi

Lexi is a part of the golden standard in UOAF BMS operations from when I was still active and I have continued to hear the same from other UOAF personnel since. However to be a full Regular requires the input across the full aspect of UO and a valid interest within it, I feel Lexi for certain does have this and can uphold our charter however her activity is called into question for ArmA and general interactions. So I am going to vote no for now, as she has said herself her time within ArmA is still new and I believe she would better prepare herself for understanding how UO works outside of BMS by attending more ArmA sessions where able.

Voting yes. Based on Force's endorsement but also that during discussions on more regs from UOAF/SB, your name has come up under the 'would be good' category from other people whose judgement I trust. ArmA is a non factor for me given contribution in other areas and I think the community would be stronger if we did have more suitable regs who don't have an ArmA focus.

In terms of voting participation, the charter line is "4.2.1 - Regulars represent the core of the community. Regulars are players who wish to take part in the organization and administration of the community:"

From what I've seen (and correct me if I'm wrong) on the UOAF forums and what's been said, these boxes have been thoroughly ticked where UOAF is concerned, and if someone had put forth the same effort/standard in ArmA as has been done in UOAF we'd probably be considering this a no-brainer vote. As for not posting/taking part yeah, this is a minor concern but I can relate to the reasons given as they mirror my own for not posting in certain threads. From what I've seen and been told, Lexi is not a mong and seems to share opinions that match the spirit and ethos we're trying to achieve in UO. That combined with the contribution already made and the assertion that all polls/relevant forum posts are being read, is enough for me to say yes.

If you do want to "raise your profile" a bit, consider jumping on Skype as a decent cross section of the community hang about on there.

Edited by Cheesemenbashi

Voting Yes based on testimony from others and we need get a female perspective from time to time instead of the consistent sausage-fest.

I would vote yes from statements of the UOAF members above.

However to be a full Regular requires the input across the full aspect of UO and a valid interest within it, I feel Lexi for certain does have this and can uphold our charter however her activity is called into question for ArmA and general interactions. 

When was Arma the deciding game of whether to make someone a regular or not. She plays on UO servers and seems to be willing to help anyone that she can.

I have no doubts that she's a great UOAF member. But that's my problem - that's where her participation in our community ends. UOAF is a small compartment within a larger organization. I have never seen Lexi in the barracks channels making an effort to get to know anyone outside UOAF. I've never seen her on our Arma servers (Verox's tool reports only 8 hours total). She states an interest in voting on policy. Why? She doesn't have a single opinion post in a policy discussion. Furthermore, what policy discussions have we had that have any bearing on her area of interest (UOAF)? Why should someone who only exists within UOAF have a vote on what mods we run on our Arma server, or what players we remove for disrupting the Arma side of house, or a vote to remove me as a GM from a game she doesn't participate in?

Regularship is not a merit badge; it is not an automatic promotion one simply receives for being unobjectionable. I expect candidates to bring something to the table, to offer something to our community at large, to be able to clearly demonstrate why they are deserving of a vote on issues that can have resounding effects and serious repercussions on our entire community as a whole. One cannot exist solely in a microcosm of a much larger organization and expect to be well informed enough to vote on issues with ramifications that affect everyone.

To use an old cliche, being a Regular is not about what UO can offer you, but what you can offer UO. As it stands now, the only thing this candidate offers is UOAF participation, and that's simply not enough.

Is it a bad thing that she doesn't want to go to every regular and make an advertisement about why she should be regular?

Because someone doesn't post on the forums, does not mean that they have absolutely no opinion? People can have opinions and keep them off of the internet when they feel it would not contribute anything to the community.

But she is trying to represent our community at large, just not as someone who plays arma. If you dedicated all your time into a minority game and found out that you could not be officially sponsored by that community because you did not play they majority game, how would that make you feel?

Edited by Nathan

There is no mention in the Charter that you have to play ArmA in order to be a Regular.

Edited by Edwards

There is no mention in the Charter that you have to play ArmA in order to be a Regular.

That's right... Lexi is good people, exactly who we look for.

I don't know Lexi personally but even from forum interactions I can tell that if you cut her in half it would say UOAF on her insides....

IMO that is exactly the kind of person that we should look for to be a Reg

So she dosent play Arma? We are not an Arma community, I dont play UOAF so should I not be a reg? UOAF is as much a part of this community as Arma is.

Thats like saying your less of an American because your from a state that is smaller than others, or because your from Alaska or Hawaii.

Are you saying that Kahloe is less than of an American because he is from a smaller state?

If the answer to that is no then why would Lexi be less of a UOian??? because she is a zoomie?

Playing ARMA has nothing to do with being a regular. Voting yes.

Voting Yes. My interactions with Lexi within UOAF have been exceedingly positive. She has both the ethos and motivation we at UO want in regulars. I stand by everything Force has said.

If anything, I hope the discussion here encourages members of UOAF, such as what Lexi is indicating she intends to do,  to become more involved with Arma. Conversely, I hope this encourages UO members who play arma, to check out UOAF (There is a DCS sale on steam right now). 

Roll inverted and do a split-s right into the regulars group. (Voting yes)

I don't know Lexi personally but even from forum interactions I can tell that if you cut her in half it would say UOAF on her insides....

IMO that is exactly the kind of person that we should look for to be a Reg

So she dosent play Arma? We are not an Arma community, I dont play UOAF so should I not be a reg? UOAF is as much a part of this community as Arma is.

Thats like saying your less of an American because your from a state that is smaller than others, or because your from Alaska or Hawaii.

Are you saying that Kahloe is less than of an American because he is from a smaller state?

If the answer to that is no then why would Lexi be less of a UOian??? because she is a zoomie?

I don't think anyone will contest you on this, and I agree with you completely. What I think Overlord is, and has been getting at on almost every regular poll he has posted in, is that at the end of the day, most of the polls/policy discussions revolve around ArmA. 

It is vital that someone who is a being voted in as a regular is mature enough to become informed on a matter before deciding on a vote. In this case, Lexi is involved enough in the ArmA scene to make informed votes.

I voted yes.

Edited by Gabe