PaxJaromeMalues

[Idea][Discussion] Radio Procedures Android App

Hi,

As we are experimenting with android programming in my traineeship, an idea came across my mind a few weeks ago and I would like to hear some opinnions about it:

The idea is to create an App where all necessary Reports are listed.

• easy to use interface
  • fast
  • no super-shiny unnecessary stuff
  • UOTC-conform

how I imagine it to work:

1. Load up screen with mainmenu (settings like: keep phone active while app runs and a few more)
  2. Select which role you are playing (Leadership, FFO, RTO, JTAC, Flight Lead/Pilot, etc.)
  3. App displays multiple Shorttags like: SALTA, SITREP according to which Role you choose (This is important as a "request for CAS" from an RTO or Squad Leader is different from a report "9-Line" which after recieving the RfCAS will be send by the JTAC to the Air Asset)[i guess everyone knows this but I thought I should mention it anyways]
  4. click f.e. on the shorttag SALTA
  5. Screen opens telling you (SIZE[enemy] / ACTIVITY[enemy] / LOCATION[enemy] / TIME[when spotted] / ACTIONS[you/your element])

This is very raw and as said is only an idea but before I start doing it, I thought getting some feedback on that plain idea might be good.

- Pax

If you need any help I am glad to help. 

You are not using Eclipse are you? Don't be that guy.

Make a scratch prototype somewhere before messing around with the xml.

Use git.

It's called paper and a printer.
http://www.unitedoperations.net/wiki/UOTC_Action_Cards

On a serious note. By all means go for it if it gets you some programming experience and it's something you want, but I think it's a complicated solution to a simple problem. Paper also doesn't require power.

I can see that having all that info on your smartphone with a simple and useful app being a thing. I would prefer to use the app rather than fumble around with paper sheets

Edited by W-Cephei

The idea is really nice, and I would encourage you to go for it.

But on a realistic note, I would prefer pen and paper instead of having to fumble with the tiny screen and even tinier virtual keys for something I am supposed to know by heart anyways when playing in the mentioned roles.

A printed out version that's been laminated seems to be the easiest and most practical solution as you can just write onto it and easily clean it up later. Print out a few of them and you should be fine.

Edited by O'Neill

B-but my smartphone has a big screen. And in theory you shouldn't have to type anything... Just slide and click big buttons.

Edited by W-Cephei

EDIT: I guess I should mention that the app will not be able to be used as a 'note'

There will be no abbility to enter numbers or anything anywhere.

For starters I thought about it more as a 'library' of signals and reports.

Interesting idea. I'd see it as a possibly very powerful training tool.

Whether this is produced or not, well done on thinking up cool shit and bringing that innovation to UO!

If you need any help I am glad to help. 

You are not using Eclipse are you? Don't be that guy.

Make a scratch prototype somewhere before messing around with the xml.

Use git.

I can see that having all that info on your smartphone with a simple and useful app being a thing. I would prefer to use the app rather than fumble around with paper sheets

What's wrong with Eclipse?

I used it a bit for Java in a basic course, seemed ok enough. Are there huge draw backs and issue for more professional level and/or serious use?

Interesting idea. I'd see it as a possibly very powerful training tool.

Whether this is produced or not, well done on thinking up cool shit and bringing that innovation to UO!

What's wrong with Eclipse?

I used it a bit for Java in a basic course, seemed ok enough. Are there huge draw backs and issue for more professional level and/or serious use?

Eclipse for Java is fine. But if you want to do anything related to android, use Android Studio.

You will be able to do anything that you want to do with the 2.3 just fine.

Of course unless you want to train your "material design". But even Google has not yet posted all the needed documentation for it.

Edited by W-Cephei

I've been thinking...

Maybe we should make an official UO app? If we add stuff like this thread's idea, the TvT Ratio Calculator,  an indexed version of the SOPs with quick search, a gametracker widget, a mission list and other things it should make up for an interesting little companion app for our community

Plus it could also generate income with adds(or not).

Edited by W-Cephei

The mobile version has the wrong theme and not all the features of the full site. It is just the bare bones ipboards in a mobile version.

Which is about as mobile-ready as it gets, you don't want overcomplicated themes like ours on mobile. Authv3 is mobile ready, too.

i'd rather see mortar tables as android app tbh

:biggrin: Maybe... But currently I am learning for my finals. I already started with the framework, but anything else will be done after I got all my finals done.

let me know if you get something setup for android and if you set up source control. I would like to jump on this project if you're willing to make it a community project. I was planning something similar to this a while back and have some ideas as well.

Edited by Mixtrate

let me know if you get something setup for android and if you set up source control. I would like to jump on this project if you're willing to make it a community project. I was planning something similar to this a while back and have some ideas as well.

Yeah. You can share the project on github using Android Studio with literally one click.

This is a really cool idea, if done correctly I think it could provide a really useful one stop shop for reference materials. It could potentially be very useful for newer members if things like basic contact reports, orders and formations were included.

I know that the RTO "cards" exist but they're extremely clunky when printed out. I have pretty limited desktop space and that solution just won't work, especially if I have a notebook open taking notes on leadership roles or contact reports. If they were designed to be printed and cut into 3"x5" cards they'd be more practical. 

We also suffer from having training materials that would benefit from being in a small form factor like this (artillery tables, Default Acre keybinds, medical procedures, along with what I listed above and/or forgetting) being distributed in user created guides with little standardization and updating.  To have these materials printed out, organized, easy to access, and updated with the changing game environment is just not something I find reasonable to do.

I know very little about app development, but am really just using this opportunity talk about our training materials as a whole.  Having "flashcards" on different subjects, with clear, easily updatable UO best practices I think would be greatly beneficial to the player base. 

I know this is probably beyond the scope of what you're talking about doing Pax, but your idea is too good not to talk about developing further.