Sign in to follow this  
Scalemage0

CO91_Siege_and_Clear_v2

This was certainly an eventful mission, i just made a little highlight of our mi-24 encounter, will probably post more stuff later.

FFS.......the face palming is strong.....

So, here comes a Hind, and instead of keeping a low profile and hiding in the small forest in order not to get the Hinds attention, and instead of letting heavy weapons or AA shoot at it, people in their infinite wisdom figure it's a great idea to shoot ineffective inaccurate small arms 5.56 fire at the freaken Hind! Now what happens next is a no brainer, you get the Hinds attention and the Hind retaliates and wipes out the majority of the PLT with accurate and effective rocket and 30mm cannon fire while the PLT is cooped in a small crop of trees, thus making the PLT combat ineffective in a minute, and now I have to organize and deal with all the wounded because all leadership is down but me.  Seriously, who did you think would actually win that fight. Unbelievable. If you guys did not attract that hinds attention, you could have been given the task of clearing out the town and got some CQB action when 2nd PLT took heavy casualties and were unable to proceed, instead you got the task of picking up body parts of your fellow plt mates all over the the crops of trees. Mission Failed.

To those who did not fire and managed to survive, good job, to the others, do me a favour, next time you make a bad judgement call, do it away from me and my squad / team.

End of rant.

I felt it was a good mission even though I jip'd at start and had to fumble around with JIP's and other things. I can't wait until the issue of people who are mounted in humvees can't hear people outside of them is resolved.

Also, I am curious, since I heard we had AA in the AO, why was it so late in targeting the Hind/

That Hind...we were driving the medical Humvee to the town and I prayed to Jesus not to hit us as we ran past it's line of fire. Unfortunately my stream got lost in the interweb, so no video to show our amazing dodging and flying into the barn to run away.

So i did some testing. I used the RHS M2 HUMMVE and I emptied the box at the grounded HIND at ~90º:

At 500m Hind soaked up all 100 rounds from the M2.

At 300m you can inflict damage but penetration is not guaranteed. Tail rotor got disabled, engine got damaged and started leaking fuel.

At close range the M2 ripped the Hind apart, disabling both the engine and the tail rotor and was leaking fuel.

Do note that I conducted the test in a perfect world. In-game, it is a lot harder to attain ~90º shots (not to mention that it needs to be close to you)...

In other words:

http://youtu.be/xVNbEqNfDMU?t=13s

Edited by Best2nd

From what I saw, in it's first pass, the Hind destroyed 2 HMMWVs and the AA team. Then turned and promptly destroyed our platoon in the patch of forest we were hiding in.

And this gentlemen is why you hold your fire when there's an air threat like a Hind on the loose.

As the Coy 2IC I had tried to set up the Stinger team in a good location close to friendly forces but with a wide enough angle to see and engage the Hind at long range, to which that seemed go to pot when I joined Slider in dodging the Hind's gunfire as we raced into village, giving me a view from the back of the Stinger teams death at the hands of the Hind. I'd give it to the M2 HMMWV that was firing from beside their position that drew the Hind onto them. Notice a pattern? I did try to recover the Stinger but the revive script meant I had to try and treat the Stinger gunner from no blood, no pulse or probably even a heart to pump it back to life in order to get the Stinger back up. Fortunately the Hind crashed for some unknown reason, as I didn't see any effective M2 fire strike him. But the damage was done and I was left in command. To which I saw no point in continuing the push with what I estimated was a Platoon minus.

Points for Improvement

• Infantry, know your place when it comes to anti-air.
  • 1 Platoon AT team needs some time on the range with the MAAW's.

Points to sustain

• Good comms and coordination from the RTO's and PL's on the Coy net.
  • Well executed mounted attack from 2 Platoon onto the Checkpoint and then subsequent movement to the village.
  • Good response by Slider and the Coy Med team to all CASREP's.

Azz did a good job in organising and keeping the flow going throughout the mission, the rest was just down to still not really having the right capabilities to deal with the threat in play. The use of BMD's also makes it harder for the company to really attack at all, so I doubt there will be a successful play through of this mission for sometime until the MM understands asset balancing better.

Edited by Deathstrike

Just to respond to the inaccurate carl gustav thing, take this example: my squad leader calls out the BMD to be 700m away using his rangefinder. I load HEAT and fire slightly above the 500m mark - round goes over by about 150m.

Conclusion: sights are worth shit now apparently,  I actually remember taking shots at 350m using map grids for rangefinding and hitting spot on, so I suppose the sights just don't work much farther than that.

Also my platoon leader apparently ordered engaging the BMD with Mk-19s at this range, which just resulted in one of the HMMWVs getting destroyed. The part I couldn't understand was the idea of attacking the town from where there was the most open ground with all that enemy armour.

As 2 platoon leader, I felt that movement from my entire platoon was outstanding given that we had to assault through a ~600m area. We secured the so called "checkpoint" taking no loss. After Coy came to my position and got frustrated at 1 platoon, he gave me the go ahead to begin movements into the town. On the way we were engaged by a MMG team to our north, taking the first casualty that was my sergeant. As we got to the outskirts of the town, My game crashed and took me ~5 minutes to get back in. As I got back, I learned that the hind was flying around, the AA team was KIA, and 1 platoon was somewhere. We assaulted the town and I was shot and un-conscious for about 5-8 minutes before being brought back. At that point we were given the order to fall back but, due to the situation, we 2'1 continued to clear with most of their squad intact.

IMPROVES:

-Radio communication was okay but could have been better.

-To Azzwort, I recommended that the AA team come with us. Could have seen that coming.

SUSTAINS:

-reaction on contact, especially in a open field, good fires on all contacts and not spending too long in the same position.

-All of the vehicle drivers in the first part of the operation for keeping a good distance and engaging TOOs. 

P.S. To the AT Team assigned to my platoon, thank you for listening to me and going to first platoon, even though you seemed that that was not  the best decision.

Conclusion: sights are worth shit now apparently, 

I've kind of observed the same kind of thing with other sights in the game, really. The acogs don't seem to be entirely right with their further-than-300m reticles, but the worst offender is the MGO/Elcan sight for the 249's and 240's where the "zero" is somewhere between the 500m and 700m marks, and with anything above 300m (or even 200m for all anyone knows) you're basically playing lottery if you don't have tracers loaded.

Edited by Xcenocide

The main problem with the AT, was that in both cases our targets were beyond 500m, which is the furthest the Maaws sights go, not to mention the discrepancy between the sights and reality. We were unable to hit the first BMD, but it was 700m away and moving, to expect to hit shots like that reliably is sketchy at best. The second BMD was hit with the 2nd rocket, so that was fine. I believe the tail rotor of the hind was hit which caused it to crash. The only reason it was engaged at all with small arms was because we had nothing else, the stinger team was gone, and we had no heavy weapons. So it was a case of give it a shot, or go home.

Thank god the Hind was  actually manned by AI. If that'd been a player crew I doubt anyone would would have made it to the southern town in the first place. Or perhaps the crew would have started firing from the hatch with some small arms and tossing some Gs. Hard to tell.

Ha! If that were a Hind manned by players, it would be hovering at 300 meters and 200 meters away from the OBJ, we probably would have downed it quicker :tongue:

EDIT: and yeah the first AT shots on that BMD was about as hard of a target as you could get. It was moving fast left to right at about 600 - 700 meters out. When it halted to turn around, my .50 cal gunners were able to immobilize it and kill the crew, but not without getting wounded , and getting their humvees chewed up and going through most of their ammo.

Edited by Militant

I was an FTL for 2'1 I believe. We got quite a bit of action, whether it be assaulting the checkpoint (if you could call it that), watching the BMD's blow up 1 Platoon, getting chewed up in the town by infantry holing up in buildings, or listening to 1 Platoon getting blown up (again) by the Hind. 

Mostly though, I'm glad to see people had some memorable experiences in something of my creation. Granted, it had it's kinks to get worked out, but I think most of those have been resolved in v3. Now if only it would get uploaded! Lol.

To add, it was on my order as the Company 2IC they were placed there. Though I had expected minor cover in the form of low walls near to the village boundaries. The intent was that the Stinger greatly outranges the Hind, and as such I wanted the Stinger to be able to engage the Hind at max range to prevent it from even getting its rockets off on friendly forces. However the only secured terrain that wasn't open would not allow the Stinger to meet that intent. If I was present myself I would have changed the position a little, but atleast I know that the Stinger had "issues" which prevented it from meeting the intent.