Sign in to follow this  
Fred_the_Destroyer

What missions should we, as mission makers, prioritize?

Very simple concept, give us some feedback so we know the way the community is leaning, perhaps even leave some ideas that we may not have though of, up to you.

As mission makers, we want feedback, we want to make missions people want to play! So tell us what you would like to see more of.

Just leave comments below.

Edited by Fred_the_Destroyer

Following the existing SOPs, including submission requirements.

Having a briefing that does not make someone want to stab their eyes out, either from length or stupidity.

Testing your missions before you submit them.

Presenting reasonable scenarios for appropriate player scales.

There is no reason to make very mission a massive scenario just to try to fit in more players.

Focus on simple and reliable missions over and above huge playercounts.

Following the existing SOPs, including submission requirements.

Having a briefing that does not make someone want to stab their eyes out, either from length or stupidity.

Testing your missions before you submit them.

Presenting reasonable scenarios for appropriate player scales.

There is no reason to make very mission a massive scenario just to try to fit in more players.

Focus on simple and reliable missions over and above huge playercounts.

I meant scenarios people would like to see more of, but that works as well.

Well, I feel as though, here at UO, we don't come up against heavy assets very often without having even heavier assets to deal with them. Perhaps just leave it out of the briefing and have like a T-80U roll up on a motorized platoon. Not everything to be encountered can be predicted.

One thing I noticed a while ago on a tvt that was about ISIS forces attacking an IDF platoon: ISIS was blufor, IDF was opfor.

Here's the thing, doing things differently isn't a bad thing, but for the sake of simplicity it's smart to keep in mind what the player knows, players/users always have some preconceptions about whatever products they're using and they work with them based off of that. What does this mean in terms of a TvT? When a player who has been playing arma for a very long time slots IDF in a TvT, he will most likely just mentally autopilot and go to the blufor briefing channel.

Second thing, same mission:

ISIS force composition was unreasonable in the way that it essentially left a lot of players doing nothing, they were attacking over a hill against a fortified position, they had access to a hind, CAS, and IFVs/APCs, this all went with a large group of infantry, and while I realise that the infantry has a role in this mission, a commander playing it safe is gonna have the infantry do next to nothing as the hind, cas and vehicles just shell the defensive position from a distance. They don't really have much to do simply because they're not really needed to win the mission.

Final note, same mission:

The fortification script did not disable after setup time, in the briefing it said mission maker intent was that you don't place fortifications after setup is done, so you shouldn't. Last I remember(and I haven't been here for quite a while so correct me if I'm wrong) COs intent overrules mission maker's intent, so if the CO tells players to put down more fortifications after setup is completed, they better do it or they can get banned for not following orders. Last time I heard, mission maker intent doesn't really mean anything if the CO doesn't like it and it isn't forced. This is the whole reason there are spawn area barriers during setup time.

Edited by Yaxxo

Words

As the maker of that mission, the next playthrough will be a completely different experience for all involved as most of those problems should now be moot. Heavy assets are a difficult balance to assess at times, especially when those assets need to be countered in a TVT scenario. Things you would normally get away with in a COOP mission just don't hold true for TVTs.

The preconceptions deal, well the unfortunate way in which the game is set up means that there is a Blufor and an Opfor, really, it probably should just be Faction 1 and Faction 2, that way you don't run into that kind of problem. Perhaps even give mission makers the ability to name the faction? I don't know, it just seems silly to argue about.

Edited by Fred_the_Destroyer

It does seem silly to argue about, but it doesn't matter what you're making, when you ignore the user's pre-existing knowledge when using whatever you made, you generally end up making things unnecessarily user unfriendly. In this case it doesn't break the mission, but it can cause misunderstandings(that honestly might even lead to bans if someone's unlucky.

While you can't change a faction name, you can decide which faction is opfor and which faction is blufor.

Edited by Yaxxo

It does seem silly to argue about, but it doesn't matter what you're making, when you ignore the user's pre-existing knowledge when using whatever you made, you generally end up making things unnecessarily user unfriendly. In this case it doesn't break the mission, but it can cause misunderstandings(that honestly might even lead to bans if someone's unlucky.

While you can't change a faction name, you can decide which faction is opfor and which faction is blufor.

Completely true, but inconvenient at times depending on how the mission is set up.

CQB house/rooms clearings at night with flashlights

More QRFs

Insurgency missions

SEAL/Special forces silent operations

defence misions

JUST MORE MISSIONS  :D

I would definitely like to see more use of AH/MH's and artillery

Also please remake that one mission that was on Isla Duala where the SF had to kill the warlord. They had two MH's and an MH as well as a sniper team. I can't recall the name.

Edited by Trip

A properly working ZEUS mission framework with RHS weapons already as standard gear. An ability of saving current loadout and having an option to spawn with either stuff you had on when you died, or a saved gear selection would be very welcome here.

Small, squad-sized simple and short missions (clearing a few buildings, hasty ambush, defence until relieved, etc.), preferably spawning close enough to avoid long boring walking but still allowing for some flexibility in execution.

Small, about 10-man raids (CO, medic and 2 teams of 4 or something similar perhaps), again ambushes,  destroying vital equipment, raiding enemy field headquarters, generally more behind enemy lines sort of thing than the previous. Sniper teams can be heavily utilised here, perhaps using AI-controlled artillery from the support menu to tackle harder targets.

More company-sized missions for when we're near the 70s and 80s. I'd consider using AI-controlled arty in those as well, obviously not enough to kill the entire enemy force. Consider random enemy placement for each playthrough, provide SF recon teams starting closer to the AO to identify strongpoints and call fire missions. Would suggest more mechanised missions for this size, perhaps with M113s/BTRs instead of heavier IFVs to give the infantry a bit of a challenge.

A big D-Day style airborne operation, with high winds on the drop zone, people getting seperated on start (starting in parachutes), forming ad-hoc units (don't forget to add the possibility to join groups), fighting through patrols towards a common objective. Again (semi) random enemy placement would add to the experience.

Oh and one more thing. Think out of the box, alternative reality, current NATO countries fighting each other, unlikely alliances (in the current political situation). See Larry Bond's "Cauldron" as a reference for what I mean. Do stuff you find interesting and inspiring yourself.

Would love to see some air assault/ parachute sort of missions. Something during night with limited supply to really get a feel for the surrounding and whole new level of cooperative gameplay. 

3 hour KLE missions? I'm game.

Sounds like my kind of fun. Then you take sporadic SAF and hunker down for an hour until rotary shows up, then you jump in the MRAP and drive 2 hours back to your COP.

Would love to see some air assault/ parachute sort of missions. 

Parachuting is kinda hard given we dont have any transport plane. It will also end pretty badly because we dont have the ACE Static Line parachutes, so people will have to deploy the chute themselves, which will end badly because this is UP. As for air assault missions with helicopters, I have one that is about 50% completed.

What's wrong with already starting in parachutes over the DZ? :smile:

Attempting a mission with this now on Thirsk Winter. From what I've heard sovietpolarbear is working on a mission using this same concept too.

Non-infantry missions. Centric missions that focus on one combat arm instead of the notion that you have to appease the infantry crowd in the room. An armoured centric mission involving a troop of tanks or an artillery battery, engineer detachments, or a flight of attack helicopters would all make for interesting mission concepts. These missions require more planning, balancing, and advanced mission making to work right, but arma 3 does a decent job at trying to balance out and make the game an all round simulator. I would like to see medical evacuation, mine clearing/breaching, or air defence missions that focus on a support task as part of a larger operation. More creative and unique mission concepts that challenge the norm and are not cookie cutter walk across chernarus or SF blackhawk helicopter raids. I challenge someone to make a US Navy or Air Force mission with no infantry or ground forces.

Non-infantry missions. Centric missions that focus on one combat arm instead of the notion that you have to appease the infantry crowd in the room. An armoured centric mission involving a troop of tanks or an artillery battery, engineer detachments, or a flight of attack helicopters would all make for interesting mission concepts. These missions require more planning, balancing, and advanced mission making to work right, but arma 3 does a decent job at trying to balance out and make the game an all round simulator. I would like to see medical evacuation, mine clearing/breaching, or air defence missions that focus on a support task as part of a larger operation. More creative and unique mission concepts that challenge the norm and are not cookie cutter walk across chernarus or SF blackhawk helicopter raids. I challenge someone to make a US Navy or Air Force mission with no infantry or ground forces.

I don't think the general skill level of the player base would allow for such a mission.

I don't think the general skill level of the player base would allow for such a mission.

How do you think the "general skill of the playerbase" will improve in those areas without practice?

I agree with darksidesix. Any mission that isn't another light inf mission is welcome from me.

I was working on a mission for Arma 2 that centered on a US Army tank company with a supporting Humvee Recce PLT, I had high hopes for it but I had to leave before it finished :(