Forgle

Classic War Films

Due to my father's pretty serious PTSD I never watched any war movies when I was growing up.

While I'm not really into gorefest shockers I know there are plenty of classic, important movies that I've missed out on and I figured y'all would be the ones to ask for suggestions.

Bonus points if it's on Netflix.

- we were soldiers,

- generation kill (not a movie but still good)

- a bridge to far

- battle of britain

- band of brothers (not a movie but still good)

- 633 squadron

- where eagles dare

- das boot

- enemy at the gates

On Netflix in the US currently..

The Longest Day

Das Boot

Black Hawk Down

Apocalypse Now

Oh god where do i start.

Longest Day (Netflix)

Bridge too Far

Memphis Belle

Platoon

Hamburger Hill

Apocalypse now (Netflix)

Band of Brothers (SERIES)

Pacific (SERIES)

Stalingrad (1993)

Enemy at the Gates

Bridge on the River Kwai

Letters from Iwo Jima

We Were Soldiers(Netflix)

Thin Red Line

All quiet on the Western Front

Das Boot (Netflix)

Come and See (1985)

Patton (Netflix)

Good Morning Vietnam (Netflix)

Yeah someone continue for me.

Edit* 

Above posts were not there when writing this.

Edited by Walsh

I'm assuming with classic you mean older movies, not the current/last two decades...

Here some of my recommendations:

Edited by zumorc

how come noone said "codename:navaho" and "thin red line"?

make sure u watch "band of brothers",might be a mini series,and not a movie,but it's in my top 5 of all time.

how come noone said "codename:navaho" and "thin red line"?

make sure u watch "band of brothers",might be a mini series,and not a movie,but it's in my top 5 of all time.

Oh god where do i start.

Thin Red Line

unsere mütter unsere väter. It's not a movie but its a pretty damn good 3 part series. (It's in german so make sure you get the subtitles if you don't speak)

Joyeux Noel is a nice choice too, WW1 Christmas truce. (This movie has 3 languages spoken in it Eng, FR, GER so definitely make sure you pick up subs.)

Edited by Lunchyyy

Thanks everyone. I'm totally okay with series or more modern things as well. If you think it's worth watching throw it out there. Literally the only thing mentioned that I've seen is Band of Brothers, to give you reference of my deprivation.

In addition to the above:

Deer Hunter

Three Kings

The Killing Fields

Last of the Mohicans

Dam Busters

Ice Cold in Alex

Great Escape

Zulu

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Midway

Schindler's List

Saving Private Ryan

Also, I would probably say that some of be above posts are good war films and others are stand out good films, which happen to be about war.

unsere mütter unsere väter. It's not a movie but its a pretty damn good 3 part series. (It's in german so make sure you get the subtitles if you don't speak)

It's called Generation War in English speaking countries for some reason.

Lone Survivor - based on a real SEAL Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan, excellent movie

Green Zone - a WMD unit commander tries to find out why he keeps coming up empty on potention WMD storage sites during the invasion of Iraq

Jarhead - Operation Desert Storm, story of a sniper from training to battle, classic

9th Company (Russian) - a VDV company deployed to Afghanistan is forgotten when Soviets pull out of the country and almost completely wiped out defending a lone hill

Threads - no actual combat in this, but it's a gruesome image of what might happen during and after a global nuclear war

Bravo Two Zero - based on an actual mission of a SAS team during Desert Storm, Discovery Channel proved this movie to be very different from what actually happened though;p

84C MoPic - a poorly known yet good movie about a LRRP team on a jungle patrol in Vietnam (a bit unrealistic because of recon guys making a lot of noise but still good)

I had no say in this! Besides, sorcerer's stone is much cooler!

A sorcerer throws spells like fireball, a philosopher writes about why the sorcerer feels compelled to throw the fireballs.

My own contribution to the list:

Patton

Despite the historical inaccuracies, it is still a sweeping epic in its own way, more a movie about a man than a war though. Or, more accurately, what war does to a man.

Edit: Damn you Walsh! You know Americans can't read!

Edited by Fred_the_Destroyer

- 'Theirs is the glory: men of Arnhem' (it's 'a bridge too far' but without the hollywoodthings (apparently survivers didn't really like 'a bridge too far'))(also, rewatching a bridge too far 2 months ago, made me smile on numerous occasions ... it felt like watching UO trying to reenact Market-Garden (can't say more without using spoilers  :-p  )

- 'Reach for the sky', story about Douglas Bader (WW2 pilot)

- Passchendaele (WW1)

- 'The cruel sea', protecting a convoy during WW2

- 'The enemy below', submarine

- 'Shoah', liberation of the camps ... 8h long horror, it is not fun to watch

- 'Sink the Bismark'

- '9th company', russians in Afghanistan

- 'Max Manus, man of war', norwegian (?) resistance

- 'Into the white', about 4 pilots (2 germans, 2 brits) who crashlanded in Norway and end up in the same cabin

- 'Brestkaya krepost', russian defence against ze zjermans

- 'Dr. Strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb', cold war (more of a critique)

- 'Platoon', vietnam

- 'Stalingrad'

- 'Talvisota', Finnisch winterwar

- 'U571', submarine, but nothing beats 'Das Boot' (try to watch the original (6 hours I believe?) version in German)

Pobably many more.

K-19 the widowmaker

Phantom

The hunt for Red October

Enemy at the Gates

Beneath hill 60

Jarhead

The eagle

Schindler's list (not really a war movie)

Saving private Ryan

The pianist (not really a war movie)

The boy in the striped pyjamas (not really a war movie)

edit: Forgot, tears of the sun and The sum of all fears.

Edited by enforcer

Movies that I really enjoyed watching

Downfall/ Der Untergang - The movie is about the last week of World War 2 in Europe from the perspectives of the Germans inside of Hitler's bunker. This is based off the accounts of one of Hitler's secretaries in his bunker.

Das Boot - Follows the crew of a German U-Boat during World War 2

Stalingrad (1994) - Follows a squad of Germans during the battle of Stalingrad as they try to survive the Russian winter (2013 version is the Russian perspective and in my biased opinion it's not as good)

All quiet on the Western Front ( 1930/1979) - Follows a squad of German soldiers in the trenches of World War 1. Lots of arguments for which one is better but its a matter of opinion.

unser vater unser mutter/Generation war - Follows a a group of five friends during World War 2 its a 3 part series. Generation War was an attempt of bring it to the US by making it into a two part movie, i'm not sure of they cut anything out since I only saw the series version. This is more of a love drama in my opinion since there is hardly any action. Most of the ones i said above don't have to much action either but they don't have unnecessary drama. 

Cross of Iron - Follows a Platoon of Germans on the Russian front in 1943. It's been a while since I watched it and I can't remember if I liked it but I think I did.

Generation Kill - Follows a battalion of Force Recon during the Second Gulf war. It's not meant to be a comedy in any way but I did find this to be extremely comedic. 

Full metal jacket - Follows a platoon of marines as they go through boot camp during the Vietnam war the opening act in boot camp really is quite sad but can be comedic depending on the mindset you look at it from.

Jarhead - Follows a marine from boot camp all the way to the end of the second Gulf war. This is based off a true story of a book written by the main character in the movie. One of the main premises of the movie is the lack of action.

A lot of the other ones mentioned above are good to, these are just the ones I really enjoyed.

Thanks everyone. I'm totally okay with series or more modern things as well. If you think it's worth watching throw it out there. Literally the only thing mentioned that I've seen is Band of Brothers, to give you reference of my deprivation.

Act of Valor- Great movie, little to no plot, Actors talk like monkeys, South America?

Jarhead 

The Hurt locker 

Zero Dark Thirty 

The Hurt Locker

Blackhawk Down

We Were Soldiers

9th Company

Generation Kill

Are my top five probably in no particular order.  However, there are so many great ones.  War movies is probably one of the most underappreciated genres.

Also, American Sniper is in theaters and is pretty good.

Also, American Sniper is in theaters and is pretty good.

It's a bit.... I don't know. Act of Valor-ish? As far as the themes go, it just seems like it has no real message other than "Never give up, war is hell".

As a representation of Chris Kyle's life, it is a bit shallow and listless at times. Still a well-made movie, just doesn't do justice to the man that inspired it.