AC 337

TVT75 Rahmadi Rumble, Jan 17th 2015

i know,and i appreciate it,but i knew i was lost as soon as i oppened the medical view  :D.Atleast it was nice to see 1 trying for once instead of saying"oh look he fell down,he is dead" and then me waiting 10 -15 mins listening to everyone around me till i die

Had a blast with this one, my only concern is maybe give opfor a bit more ammo, maybe a small crate with 7.62 mags in it.

If there is interest I can upload the whole mission to youtube for an opfor perspective.

PS: UP is not kill.

RPG without a scope or a range-able sight is fucking annoying. I would like a PGO (?) scope. Even better would be thermobaric rounds that would help damage the blufor BOF from being too entrenched.

Some " hints " in the briefing on how to setup a defence using the placements because nobody in leadership had any clue where effective placement was.

That FPS is the biggest problem. FPS drop two thirds into game time after the HE/M240's fired up.

Blu having boats to spawn near would be cool. You can sort of meta the game and push towards the ridge line and effectively catch blufor out in the open easily. Unless that intended to be possible.

My fps was fine until making it close to the town, then it was constant freezing and 20-30 choppy/inconsistent fps.

Out of curiosity , with CMS , can 2 or more medics patch you up at the same time ?

Yes. Useful for stopping catastrophic bleeding's.

ah something else ....

It is not about the mission but about the map ! It looks like there is a problem with the textures and their LOD. Everything 50m away was really ugly for me and I was not alone

I was the Blufor commander. Plan was to conduct a right flank attack from the east with two squads in SBF on Hill 46 and two squads assaulting from the north in defilade along the coast. I wanted to to establish squad BPs all along the eastern ridgeline and mass direct fires into the town to destroy the enemy at range without having to maneuver and close in with the enemy inside the town, where I feared more casualties would be taken in close quarters fighting.

We began movement along the coast north from the assembly area to our assault position. I stated during the briefing that the enemy would have OP teams out and attempt to ambush us in order to delay the attack. However, I did not anticipate that the enemy would be so close to our assembly area. 1st Squad spotted an OP team on the hill to our west as soon as we crossed the LD. I had all the squads move west into cover behind a ridgeline and told 1st Squad to push north to get out of the open ground. I put Weapons Squad on a hill and had them suppress the OP team while 2nd Squad flanked left. I moved 3rd Squad up and had them trail 1st Squad as they assaulted onto Hill 46.

Once 2nd Squad cleared the OP team's position they took effective grenade fire and I had them fall back and move north along the coast to link up with 3rd Squad, who I had start moving north to get into position to assault the town. I moved Weapons Squad up onto Hill 46 where they established the SBF with 1st Squad. Once 3rd Squad was in position north of the SBF, the platoon began fires onto the town. 2nd Squad reached 3rd Squad and deployed to their left. Once we gained fire superiority, I gave orders for 3rd and 2nd Squad to begin fire and maneuver to gain a foothold inside the north side of town and established LOAs for their movement.

The fundamental problem with the plan became apparent then, which was that there was no defilade on the north side of town. Although the elevation decreased by the coast line, the avenue of approach will still exposed to fields of fire from the objective, and 3rd Squad took casualties during their movement. 2nd Squad expedited their movement to take attention away from 3rd Squad, and they took casualties as well. Eventually both squads were forced to fall back to their starting positions.

After observing the objective to determine the next course of action, I realized that the objective was an absolute motherfucker. There were no avenues of approach to the objective that offered any cover or concealment. I knew at this point that we would take excessive casualties no matter which point we assaulted from, so to maximize our chances of establishing a foothold, all squads would have to assault from multiple directions at the same time. I gave the order and all three rifle squads pushed for the town. 1st Squad made it into the town but was destroyed in close quarters. 2nd and 3rd Squad made it to the beach north of the town, where there was defilade. Weapons Squad suffered casualties and ran out of ammo, so remaining members pushed north and linked up with the remainder of the platoon.

I briefly reorganized the platoon north of the objective and assigned a single radio channel for communication. I told everyone there to make a final push for the town. I made it to the first building and watched as an enemy man in a window around the corner from me shot an advancing friendly. I turned to go the other way around, but another friendly on the corner of the building was shot as he tried to push out. At this point I was alone, and I could not attempt to communicate over the radio in fear that the enemy on the other side of the wall from me (I could hear him talking on the radio) would hear me as well. I snuck around the corner and threw a frag through the window and then bypassed the window underneath it and pushed further into the town.

Then the mission ended. I don't know if that frag through the window killed the last Opfor before the casualty limit but if it did, that's awesome.

Only one thing I can think of specifically that I would differently. I forgot to include the order of march in the brief and only addressed it because of someone's question, and I did not have a lot of time to think about it. If I had, I would have modified the OOM to better reflect the scheme of maneuver where in the event that the platoon took contact prior to reaching the ASLT PSN (which we did) we would have been able to react to contact and still maneuver into the briefed positions (meaning 1st and 2nd assaulting and 3rd and Weapons in the SBF, instead of 1st and Weapons in the SBF, which is what ended up happening). 

In terms of the actual concept of operations, I don't really know how to attack an objective with the enemy in fortified positions, no avenues of approach, a 2:1 force radio, and no force multipliers or equipment that give any kind of advantage over the enemy's capabilities. The only other course of action I can really think of that might stand a chance would be to envelop the enemy from all sides so that the enemy would be unable to mass direct fires against the platoon, and then assault from the position offering the least resistance. The amount of ammo the platoon had plus the lack of optics would make it difficult to conduct a sustained attack by fire for the amount of time necessary to destroy a force of the enemy's size.

I can think of no major concerns for improvement for the platoon. My squad leaders all performed exceptionally. 

The mission was good. The force ratio plus the other factors I suggested made leading Blufor a real bitch, but I had a lot of fun. It's a really tough mission. I honestly would not have a problem with AC 337 keeping it the way it is now, and I would be interested in seeing how other people lead this mission. If you do feel like making it easier on Blufor, AC 337, you could do that as other people have suggested by changing the ratio or giving Blufor some sort of advantage. I actually think that giving Blufor a 60mm mortar team and distributing the ammo (include smoke) across the whole platoon (and keeping the force ratio as it is now) might make things really interesting, but it's up to you.

Also, I don't know if Opfor knows where Blufor spawns, but if they do, they should't.

That was indeed the best TVT I've seen in ArmA 3 so far!

I was in 1st Squad and we provided SBF together with Weapons Squad from the ridge. It was awesome to see the effect of suppressing fire on an enemy force that is made up of human players and not AI. I depleted more than 15 STANAGs with my M16 during the SBF and my barrel got so hot that my weapon jammed. That was the first time I had a weapon jamming in ArmA, so I had to figure out how to fix it in the midst of the fight since no one around me knew how to do that (It's CTRL + F btw.). We recieved a decent degree of returning bullets from the enemy which caused some injuries but it was less then expected thanks to the supressing fire. The enemy GL fire was pretty daunting though and killed our 2nd FT entirely.

When we conducted our assault on the town from the ridge after 2nd and 3rd Squad failed with their initial assault we were pretty lucky, I guess, since there was almost no enemy fire coming at us while we crossed the open ground. Might also be result of the supressing fires though I don't know if there was still any SBF going on at that time. When we reached the town we got hit by multiple grenades which injured us badly. We ran out of bandages so some of us, including me, kept bleeding and the squad got a bit scattered. The result was a fierce CQC. I died fairly early in the CQC when I was running back around a building were we where before and ran into an enemy fighter which appeared from a bush behind us. We emptied our magazines at each other at less than 5 meters distance since we both where kinda suprised but mine was empty first and he killed me.

It was fun too spectate the few remaining minutes and watch how Gusy and then Kazu dealt with some enemy fighters hiding in a backyard.

Edited by QuiGon

3 Squad Lead here for Blufor.

My thoughts have already been portrayed across multiple posts plus I am on my phone so I will keep this brief .

My squad operated well all around. I'd like to apologize for being in the wrong OOM from the spawn. I was under the impression we were to move to the LD along the coast then move in OOM from there.

Furthermore, I had not lead a squad.... in a while... probably not since ArmA2, haha, so in retrospect, I feel I did not give my Team Leaders much freedom to lead their team once we were in contact with the enemy.

Otherwise, we shot at the enemy and eventually had no choice but to put Headshot on the hill with a 249 mowing down the town while we split pushed towards the docks where we could have cover. I moves about halfway with 2 people then got down in a tiny ditch and sprayed half a round at windows, then continued running. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, everyone made it alive across the field, I think some people got hit but can't be certain if they died.

Was fun but certainly laggy once near the town.

I actually think that giving Blufor a 60mm mortar team and distributing the ammo (include smoke) across the whole platoon (and keeping the force ratio as it is now) might make things really interesting, but it's up to you.

This is a good idea IMO

I believe we are all interested in as much footage of this mission as we can possibly get our hands on. Throw a UO intro on it and it'd make some great material.

The mission was good. The force ratio plus the other factors I suggested made leading Blufor a real bitch, but I had a lot of fun. It's a really tough mission. I honestly would not have a problem with AC 337 keeping it the way it is now, and I would be interested in seeing how other people lead this mission. If you do feel like making it easier on Blufor, AC 337, you could do that as other people have suggested by changing the ratio or giving Blufor some sort of advantage. I actually think that giving Blufor a 60mm mortar team and distributing the ammo (include smoke) across the whole platoon (and keeping the force ratio as it is now) might make things really interesting, but it's up to you.

Also, I don't know if Opfor knows where Blufor spawns, but if they do, they should't.

its not exactly a big secret where blufor spawns.

another note, if u can point me in the direction of the 60mm mortar in our modpack that would be great.

I believe we are all interested in as much footage of this mission as we can possibly get our hands on. Throw a UO intro on it and it'd make some great material.

A collab of fottage from different perspectives at the same time would be pretty sweet. 

Thanks for all the input guys, it is really appreciated!

As far as changes go, I definitely want to see how a few more playthroughs go to any major adjustments to balance. That being said, there are a few changes that I am strongly considering for the next version:

- Increasing BLUFOR Automatic RIfleman ammunition, Currently 700(500 + 200 on assistant)

- Increasing BLUFOR Machinegunner ammunition, Currently 900(500 + 400 on assistant)

- Reducing OPFOR setup area slightly

- Addition of a 60mm mortar to BLUFOR (Note that we currently do not have one, however should one become available I think that it is the best way to put the mission more in BLUFOR's favor without drastically changing the sides)

It is really encouraging to see all of the positive comments here, and I for one would love to see as much footage of the mission as possible! (Mission maker bias!)

I have the whole mission recorded from 2SQ on BLU if you're interested

I'm interested in any video from this, and would be willing to edit a video together.  But i think someone might be doing that already.

Edited by Walsh

Had a blast with this one, my only concern is maybe give opfor a bit more ammo, maybe a small crate with 7.62 mags in it.

If there is interest I can upload the whole mission to youtube for an opfor perspective.

PS: UP is not kill.

Albatross VS Yugoslav will the be the ultimate battle to decide UP's fate.

I had fun being one of 2 squad's FTL on OPFOR. I died when BLUFOR was breaching the town, but I can't say I didn't enjoy the dance of the grenade launchers at the start of the mission. I also thought that OPFOR was going to win that match.