BrockSamson

Requests for Content

I have heard a lot of people in a lot of different places express their concern with a lack of content in Arma 3. I know we have many extremely talented modelers/designers who work very hard voluntarily to contribute content. I really appreciate the content people have already contributed. That being said this is a thread for people to discuss what they would like added. These are requests. No one is telling you what to focus your time on. We are only giving ideas.

The following units/weapons have come up in various discussion.

-Taliban/ISIS style Middle Eastern Insurgents

-Classic Woodland BDU/M81 camo

-1980's troops

-1990's troops

-Non-specific units/weapons ie: weapons that were used over multiple decades.

-Vietnam era US units/weapons

-Huey UH-1H

I was told this thread would be "Troll Bait" and I am hoping no one lose their cool over some people contributing ideas. Feel free to post what content you would like to see added.

If you dont want to make something mentioned in this thread...guess what? You dont have to. These are humble requests, not demands.

Ah didn't realise that, well I guess there's no reason to re-add a bunch of stuff!

Is this your opinion on what you'd like to see or do you feel we are actually missing this from the modpack?

Sadly the Chinese mods as they are are ripe with problems, however I did get permission to use both VME and Halfmoon (ACE_PLA)'s repository.  Unfortunately I have no talent for modeling or coding, but I've done plenty of research on realistic ORBATS as well as what units would constitute a bonafide force.  I think that they would be the best new faction to add in that they can be INDFOR, are fully modern (or old school if you like), and are growing in an expeditionary role.  Plus it's different than USA, Russia, and Insurgents.

I would like to the see the Island of Fallujah back in, it is still by the far the for difficult street to street fighting and I would like to recreate a better version of my mission Run Reporter Run. This would also necessitate some sort of middle eastern irregular force.

I would also like to see the African pack being added in, we can then start seeing some really interesting African based missions like we did in Arma 2. There are government forces, rebels, PMC, UN etc.

Ah didn't realise that, well I guess there's no reason to re-add a bunch of stuff!

If the insinuation is that RHS adds already adds everything that was suggested, that's wrong, RHS is only post 2000 stuff.

We don't need it.

By how many goddamned infantry units got lost in Eversen last night, yes, we do need it, I really don't understand what the deal is with this mod and its detractors, it is a function that alleviates issues, why not add it? Because of pride?

And when I say infantry units, I mean experienced UO players. It was one of the worst CFs I have seen in a long while.

Edited by Fred_the_Destroyer

By how many goddamned infantry units got lost in Eversen last night, yes, we do need it, I really don't understand what the deal is with this mod and its detractors, it is a function that alleviates issues, why not add it? Because of pride?

And when I say infantry units, I mean experienced UO players. It was one of the worst CFs I have seen in a long while.

we still dont need it.

even with shacktac that would have still happened

Edited by Vospo

Because of pride?

Because it gives players an unrealistic crutch to lean on and, in my experience, detracts from gameplay. Without it, players are forced to communicate more and pay attention more. If infantry units are getting lost (I'm assuming you mean individual soldiers?) then they should pay more attention.

Being experienced does not prevent one from being useless, it just means that you have been useless for a long time.

Because it gives players an unrealistic crutch to lean on and, in my experience, detracts from gameplay. Without it, players are forced to communicate more and pay attention more. If infantry units are getting lost (I'm assuming you mean individual soldiers?) then they should pay more attention.

So, it is pride? In what way does it detract? By giving players a visual indicator of where everyone in their squad is? Something any true-life squad would be able to do with peripheral vision and other auditory cues? I'm sorry, but the communication you are speaking of, it causes problems that do not occur in real life, in real life, you can reach out and touch someone or align yourself easily to a formation, in ARMA, that is not the case. If you add shacktac hud, that is one problem you no longer need to worry about.

Herbiie, your experience is always a strange thing for me to think of, you consistently choose the harder path for the sake of choosing it in whatever field you progress down. If something alleviates a problem, especially when it has no impact on any other systems in place, you use it. How big is STHud? 30mb? I just do not understand why we are choosing the hard way when there is an easy and useful alternative with no performance impact.

This is not the shacktac hud thread, please take that elsewhere as it will only start another flame war.

I Know that BDU's are coming and many non era specific weapons are coming.

So, it is pride? In what way does it detract? By giving players a visual indicator of where everyone in their squad is? Something any true-life squad would be able to do with peripheral vision and other auditory cues? I'm sorry, but the communication you are speaking of, it causes problems that do not occur in real life, in real life, you can reach out and touch someone or align yourself easily to a formation, in ARMA, that is not the case. If you add shacktac hud, that is one problem you no longer need to worry about.

Herbiie, your experience is always a strange thing for me to think of, you consistently choose the harder path for the sake of choosing it in whatever field you progress down. If something alleviates a problem, especially when it has no impact on any other systems in place, you use it. How big is STHud? 30mb? I just do not understand why we are choosing the hard way when there is an easy and useful alternative with no performance impact.

Actually, the problem of staying in formation occurs in real life. Staying aligned is harder in real life than in ArmA. In ArmA we all move at the same speed. In real life there is no "walking speed." The speed at which you walk can vary, you can walk quickly or slowly messing up the formation. In real life you constantly have to check where the rest of your section is and yes, you can get left behind. Do not over emphasise what we can and cannot do in real life because you want STHUD to lean on because your own personal skills are lacking. The ONLY thing that is easier in real life is knowing who is in your section - this is a problem solved by the addition of nametags.

Why does communicating more add more problems? Everyone has to echo commands when you don't have STHUD - something they should be doing anyway. Everyone has to keep an eye on each other when you don't have STHUD - something they should be doing anyway. Removing STHUD, for our community (not all communities), actively makes people HAVE to work harder at their drills, hence making them better. We haven't had it for ages, yet only now a few of our players from A2 are joining do we now need it. Interesting...

As for experience, I am certainly not the most experienced player for real life stuff here, but I have a reasonable amount. I'd like to know what experience you are basing your comments about what it's like trying to stay in formation for real is.

Edited by Herbiie

Actually, the problem of staying in formation occurs in real life. Staying aligned is harder in real life than in ArmA. In ArmA we all move at the same speed. In real life there is no "walking speed." The speed at which you walk can vary, you can walk quickly or slowly messing up the formation. In real life you constantly have to check where the rest of your section is and yes, you can get left behind. Do not over emphasise what we can and cannot do in real life because you want STHUD to lean on because your own personal skills are lacking. The ONLY thing that is easier in real life is knowing who is in your section - this is a problem solved by the addition of nametags.

Why does communicating more add more problems? Everyone has to echo commands when you don't have STHUD - something they should be doing anyway. Everyone has to keep an eye on each other when you don't have STHUD - something they should be doing anyway. Removing STHUD, for our community (not all communities), actively makes people HAVE to work harder at their drills, hence making them better. We haven't had it for ages, yet only now a few of our players from A2 are joining do we now need it. Interesting...

As for experience, I am certainly not the most experienced player for real life stuff here, but I have a reasonable amount. I'd like to know what experience you are basing your comments about what it's like trying to stay in formation for real is.

Don't make this personal, I have no problem staying in formation, I simply find the idea that we are choosing the path of most resistance distressing.

Adding more things to communicate about causes more problems. You do have to echo commands with STHud, we did it all the time. In real life you have your peripheral vision to assist you instead of ARMA's terrible FOV and lack of tactile input.

If you are working harder at one aspect, other aspects suffer.

"We haven't had it for ages, yet only now a few of our players from A2 are joining do we now need it. Interesting."

No, people who are now playing realize how fucking stupid it is that we do not have it. Most people stayed to A2 until the server died, now that they are being forced to play A3, they want it back because it is a lesser experience without it.

In real life you match the speed of the point man, which takes almost no brain power and requires no verbal communication of any kind. Why should we need to talk about this when people in real life do it automatically?

It is simply idiotic to hamstring ourselves in this way.

But as Seabass said, this is not the place to discuss this further.

When moving through thick forest or at night, visibility and losing track of friendlies is a common and VERY real problem for soldiers. This problem is alleviated through proper communication to inform friendlies when moving off and tighter spacings if necessary. Neither of these provisions are observed by most UO players and, for whatever bizzaro reason, they believe these problems don't occur in real life.

I was rear man for my platoon at one point in my training and I was almost left behind because the guy in front of me (he was about 5 meters away) didn't inform me we were moving. Had I not been actually doing my job of rear man and looking around (another major failure at UO) they most likely would have continued on without me. It wasn't my peripheral vision or audio queues or any bull like that which prevented me from getting lost, it was the fact I was physically turning my head and looking back at my platoon every 10 seconds or so.

There is no magical radar or system in real life that does not exist in Arma to help you maintain formation. ShackTac HUD IS a magical radar which lets you see through everything at all times and at all light levels and, quite frankly, makes tactical movement dry, boring and mostly without the challenges associated with it in real life; at least for me.

Edit: Oh and, as much as everyone would LOVE to deny, people DO look around more without ShackTac HUD.

Edit2: If your enjoyment at UO is being that severely affected by the lack of a single mod then I really have no other solution other than for you to find a different community, for your own enjoyment as much as ours.

Edit3: When the point man is going downhill and you're still going uphill your platoon can become strung out extremely quickly, oftentimes I've passed along a message for the point man to slow down a bit because we were becoming too stretched out. This isn't really a problem in UO unless the hill is extremely steep.

I Know that BDU's are coming and many non era specific weapons are coming.

If you could please inform the rest of us that are not privileged to that information what is coming and by who?

In real life you match the speed of the point man, which takes almost no brain power and requires no verbal communication of any kind. Why should we need to talk about this when people in real life do it automatically?

Have you EVER done anything remotely like this in real life?

Speaking from my experiences of doing this for real, it does not take "almost no brain power." It in fact takes constant checks to see where your spacing is, are you getting too close, are you falling behind? Not something you have to worry about in ArmA.

We Do Not Need STHUD, and if you do then up your game rather than whine and cry about not having your handy magic radar.

By your logic we should simply ditch any pretence of realism and just go for what is easiest, because that way people can do it. We are better off without STHUD.

Additionally, this is a thread requesting content, and someone requested STHUD, so it is the correct place to talk about it.

Edited by Herbiie