Impulse 9

Shut down All ArmA2 Related Services

Shut down all ArmA 2 Related Services  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Shut down all ArmA 2 Related Services?

• Yes
    • No

At this point it seems clear that the Arma 2 population is dwindling fast. Gametracker, as seen here, https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/70.42.74.59:2302/ shows an average of 7 players for the last month. Outside of Tactical Tuesday the server has had a minimum population for the last few months and with the end of TT, this is only going to get worse. Indeed since the end of TT there has been a steep decline in server population, both on Tuesday, and throughout the rest of the week.

More importantly the regular base, the core of the community, has all but abandoned the game. There remain very few regulars and very few GMs who play, infrequently at best. This is not meant as a criticism, there are many different reasons why regulars have lost interest in Arma 2, there is no obligation to play one particular game at UO and I myself have not played on the Arma 2 primary since July. The end result, whatever the reasons though, will be a swift drop in quality, something that many regulars would argue was already occurring, but I believe the decline will now be even more marked.

We will see more incidents such as the one that lead to these four bans.

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/23854-ban-razgriz/

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/23855-ban-itookurpoptart/

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/23856-ban-hittheman/

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/23857-ban-cake/

Poor quality players, without GMs and regulars to encourage and enforce the gameplay standards that UO strives for, will thrive in an environment without supervision. They may lead other players astray, lead to members having a very poor impression about what UO is about and then spill into other games that the community plays.

In other ways, things have moved on from arma 2. UOTC has not offered any arma 2 courses recently, and I would imagine that Arma 3, and setting up courses for that, would be much more of a focus for them now. Mod development and support has switched to Arma 3, both at UO and in the wider Arma community.

We are not an Arma 2 community and I see nothing wrong with closing the books on a game that has run its course. I have had thousands of hours of enjoyment from Arma 2, but it is time to move on and look to the future. Time, effort and money is spent on a game that the majority of the regulars do not play. These resources could instead be spent on games that we, the regulars, actually want to play and support.

Rather than letting Arma 2s death at UO be a long, drawn out affair, that will act as a ball and chain that holds UO back, we should end it now. By doing so it will allow us to move forward as a healthier, better community, with regulars invested and involved in the games that are played.

This poll requires a 2/3 vote and 1 week.

This poll has been put up at request of a Regular.

Edited by Impulse 9
Operations/Tag - Close Date

Please note that I have put this poll up at request, this is not my poll specifically.

I had already been slowly trimming down ArmA2 related services over time and was going to continue to do so over time.

This poll would make it official by way of voted action.

Impulse has said that he is going to "trim" the A2 servers. I believe a trimming is better than full shutdown.  A3 is currently not at a level that I feel a total transition is a "good idea".

Nah, this is definitely a good idea. Rather than playing it safe, I think it's best we make this change ASAP. Voted Yes.

Edited by HeadShot

Impulse has said that he is going to "trim" the A2 servers. I believe a trimming is better than full shutdown.

Voted NO on this poll because it proposed to shut down ALL ARMA2 services.

I would vote YES to trimming back ...

Would shutting down the ARMA 2 primary help the ARMA 3 primary in any way. By which I mean more addon space, increased ARMA 3 performance etc?

✓ Has potential to reduce upkeep cost of community

✓ Relieves pressure from a beleaguered technical staff

✓ Encourages community discourse regarding the end of ARMA 2

✓ Moves community content creation to ARMA 3, encouraging an otherwise stagnant mission making scene

✓ Frees up resources for other games

Voted yes.

Trimming the servers turns them into the ball and chain talked about in the OP. It will turn it into poor quality piece of leftovers. We should bite the bullet now and end arma 2.

UO switching to/ becoming an arma 3 community? i'd play on that.

I support proposition Arma 2-404!

I would vote yes.Cycle has ended, and no interesting features/mods/ are offered on arma 2 front thus

decreased amount of new people coming here.Coming from arma 3 I find it hard to make a switch to

a2 for gameplay reasons.On the other hand arma 3 is thriving.New things are coming like shooting from

vehicles and sling loading, on mods front RHS looks enticing...

Edited by enex

Would vote yes on the account that ArmA 2 content is little if not none and that keeping the aging system alive would only result in the waste of money (expenses) and energy (mod breaks, BE, etc.)

Arma 3 does not yet have enough content or stability to sustain my interest and I know a lot of other people feel the same way. With that said, Arma 2 is quite obviously dead and as much as it pains me to say so, there is no point in UO continuing to pay to keep it going. I would like to see those funds reallocated to build up the coffers for sever upgrades or other improvements to the community.

Edited by Overlord

A number of things have made my involvement in the community be extremely limited. One thing has been the bizarre limbo land we seem to be heading towards due to the the two versions of ARMA currently being supported. Voted yes. Perhaps if we can focus on ARMA 3 I may be more able to take part.

What benefit could this have? Would keeping them harm us in any way and limit capabilities?