Fighter

Squad: A commercial game made by developers of and inspired by PR:BF2

Today I'd like to use this post to share a project that a number of us developers have been quietly working on the past few months. Although it had been revealed internally several months ago to the PR team, it wasn't until now that we have felt comfortable opening up our project to the public eye, starting with the PR community. The goal of our project is to produce an Unreal Engine 4 based standalone commercial game, whose central focus is promoting teamwork and communication through gameplay mechanics and features.

Very exciting stuff. :smile:

Saw some of this earlier on youtube, looks pretty promising, be interested to see how it turns out. 

Essentially their whole goal is to create PR:BF2 on UE4, which is cool I guess... 

If I had a dollar for every promising kickstarter, I'd start my own kickstarter website and take people's money.

The new Insurgency game looks similar to this (although with smaller maps) but you wouldn't see much teamwork on a typical server. I was wondering how well would a cohesive UO team do in that game.

So this will probably end up like Insurgency: devs showing in videos how cool the "teamwork oriented" gameplay is, and then the masses playing it their own way, with no communication.

The new Insurgency game looks similar to this (although with smaller maps) but you wouldn't see much teamwork on a typical server. I was wondering how well would a cohesive UO team do in that game.

So this will probably end up like Insurgency: devs showing in videos how cool the "teamwork oriented" gameplay is, and then the masses playing it their own way, with no communication.

Have you played PR on BF2?even with the masses the game had teamwork encouraging mechanics which led to teamwork on pub games.

Edited by ZZEZ

I'm going to shed some more light on this.

Squad has still been moving throughout development, and seems to be a very worthwhile game.

Squad is a successor to Project reality which aims to bring everything from PR and bring it to its own game on a standalone engine. It was started by PR dev's that had a major role for the BF2 version.

On April 5th Squad signed up to be on steam green light. On April 19th they were green lit with a 95% of yes votes equaling 41,213 up votes. This happened in two weeks.

With its kick starter just beginning on the 26th of this month, it has raised about $130,000 CAD in 3 days. Its initial goal is $150,000 CAD.

If you check the perks for the kickstarter, you could be playing the pre-alpha of Squad by the end of next month.

The game is planned to be released on steam early access towards the end of this year.

I highly urge you to check it out if you were a fan on PR on battlefield 2. I believe this game is going to be amazing overtime and be equal with the BF2 version by early access and be better by mid next year.

links:

Squad website

Squad reddit (videos can be found on reddit)

Squad Kickstarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8blEnc2u5ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEqk9FT3BLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3v4dvAA7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvEKjQ_tUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6On1id6nfaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1bQGuB_TK8

Edited by Wade

Have a look at this interview with two of the main devs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KJOmhAQjsE

it will answer most questions concerning the game. i for one and backing this game. Its going to sit between Arma and other FPS games, were you can jump into a game and have instant team based fun.

on another note: PR standalone is out..............    

Thats right you no-longer need BF2 to play PR.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqLqlK1swUE

Edited by skalbairn

This game is looking great. In every way possible.

My fear however is that it will end up like Insurgency. Not gameplay or graphics wise, but rather community wise. Insurgency was really great when it first released on Steam. But, after a few weeks dozens of noobs and "COD kids" got the game. This ruined the experience for so many people.

The thing that made BF2:PR worth wile for me was that there was so much communication and organization, despite people not knowing each other. I fear that with a commercial release that might go away.

This game is looking great. In every way possible.

My fear however is that it will end up like Insurgency. Not gameplay or graphics wise, but rather community wise. Insurgency was really great when it first released on Steam. But, after a few weeks dozens of noobs and "COD kids" got the game. This ruined the experience for so many people.

The thing that made BF2:PR worth wile for me was that there was so much communication and organization, despite people not knowing each other. I fear that with a commercial release that might go away.

The thing to remember is most of the devs are from PR and have used/working on the same ethos as PR. Example; they have incorporated the same VOIP system as PR.

Edited by skalbairn

My fear however is that it will end up like Insurgency. Not gameplay or graphics wise, but rather community wise. Insurgency was really great when it first released on Steam. But, after a few weeks dozens of noobs and "COD kids" got the game.

Squad has a system where squad leaders can kick cod kids out of the squad, most squads would probably tend to do this. Some servers require you to be in a squad, so it kinda lets the cod kids not play. Squad just needs the PR vets to lead most of the squads on release and show the noobs the way, the truth, and the life.

What makes little sense to me is why they keep many of the mechanics from BF2:PR that were "stand ins" for things such as reinforcements or larger forces fighting each other due to engine limitations. In BF2 they solved these problems with methods like rallypoints (moveable respawn points), which in a new game engine they shouldn't have to compromise in. For instance why not just create support for more players and bigger maps, setting up logistics chains and so on to transport respawns, rather than rallypoints. They no longer have the excuse of "it's hardcoded, can't do it" in a new engine, because they made it!

Now I kind of like the idea of tactical shooter that's more casual than arma, but at the moment all I can see is counter strike in Afghanistan where fast reactions are much more important than any tactics more in depth than "all squads attack this objective while x squad finds and kills the enemy rallypoint". When it comes down to mechanics you can force people to go into squads or be removed all you want, but in the ends its up to the players. Rubbish mechanics make for rubbish gameplay. From the videos I've seen it's still frustratingly apparent that so long as an enemy has a rallypoint you can never really clear the area, even if you kill all the enemies and watch all sectors due to magic respawning. While true respawning gets disabled when enemies are near, it usually ends with players using stupid tactics like putting your rallypoint behind enemy lines and appearing behind them even though they just cleared the area (by killing you) and there was no way that realistically you could have flanked them if you were the reinforcing element.

What makes little sense to me is why they keep many of the mechanics from BF2:PR that were "stand ins" for things such as reinforcements or larger forces fighting each other due to engine limitations. In BF2 they solved these problems with methods like rallypoints (moveable respawn points), which in a new game engine they shouldn't have to compromise in. For instance why not just create support for more players and bigger maps, setting up logistics chains and so on to transport respawns, rather than rallypoints. They no longer have the excuse of "it's hardcoded, can't do it" in a new engine, because they made it!

Now I kind of like the idea of tactical shooter that's more casual than arma, but at the moment all I can see is counter strike in Afghanistan where fast reactions are much more important than any tactics more in depth than "all squads attack this objective while x squad finds and kills the enemy rallypoint". When it comes down to mechanics you can force people to go into squads or be removed all you want, but in the ends its up to the players. Rubbish mechanics make for rubbish gameplay. From the videos I've seen it's still frustratingly apparent that so long as an enemy has a rallypoint you can never really clear the area, even if you kill all the enemies and watch all sectors due to magic respawning. While true respawning gets disabled when enemies are near, it usually ends with players using stupid tactics like putting your rallypoint behind enemy lines and appearing behind them even though they just cleared the area (by killing you) and there was no way that realistically you could have flanked them if you were the reinforcing element.

It's a pre-alpha dude...

The same was said for PR ArmA 2 while it was in alpha/beta and they still kept all the BF2 things anyway because "it made the BF2 PR good so why not?". Remind me how that little project turned out for them?

Trying to copy what made PR good in the BF2 engine doesn't necessarily mean it would work in another engine, as we've seen with the ArmA version. There is literally zero reason not to make it better in every way yet they seem to just want to do the same thing again.

more players... bigger maps

They're still limited by what UE can do; it does have support for level streaming and gets around coordinate limit by rebasing the coordinate system every now and then, but that comes with problems in a multiplayer environment. I can see how they'd go for the easier solution to begin with.

Bought it, pretty great for a closed Pre-Alpha.  Scaling is good at the moment and RPG's are best gun in game.

Even though the pre-alpha lacks a lot of content, the scenarios are very intense. The game is shaping up well.

Edited by Wade

Yeah get pumped for tomorrow! I may be biased from playing PR so much, but this game is shaping up really well.

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. We need to coordinate what server we are going to hop on. After talks on ts last night depending on how many people pick this up we may try running our own server.