TTTHyperionTTT

So is UP pretty much dead?

I havent seen more than 10 people on the server in the past week..what gives people?

First few times I played there was a bunch, then that tac tuesday garbage happened and here we are.  The only rooms I see that have people are waiting and the other nonprimary rooms.

seems like 

Edited by TTTHyperionTTT

If you think Tac Tuesday is garbage I suggest you find another community. Now.

TT is how it should be played every single day if you don't like it, then this is not a community for you.

Then that tac tuesday garbage happened and here we are

Em... I'm no rocket scientist but I am quite sure Tactical Tuesday is not the cause of low population. I personally have just gotten bored of playing the game (ArmA). Plus I am busy with school and college applications and SAT/ACT shit. I think Tac. Tues. is what's keeping player counts high at least once a week.

TT is how it should be played every single day if you don't like it, then this is not a community for you.

This is a great low quality post!

Doesn't address the issue being raised.

Amazing elitism because someone used 'garbage' in the same sentence as 'tac tuesday'.

Also, 'enforcer' never plays the game, but is telling other people they have to stop playing the game and leave the community.

Congratulations, UO is dead!

Em... I'm no rocket scientist but I am quite sure Tactical Tuesday is not the cause of low population. I personally have just gotten bored of playing the game (ArmA). Plus I am busy with school and college applications and SAT/ACT shit. I think Tac. Tues. is what's keeping player counts high at least once a week.

Tac Tuesday indirectly leads to low player counts. Regs/GMs only bother playing on Tac Tuesday so new players are just playing with other new players until perhaps, maybe some experienced players join. So new players get bored because of the low quality of play and stop playing, this is why we have 0 players 90% of the time.

Look, UO is not just a ARMA community it is a community where you can play multiple games with people who enjoy the same games. Recently people have not been playing ARMA because of a plethora of reasons from school to ,like what Gabe said, bored of the game.

If you have come here to just play Arma and there is nobody playing it then that doiesnt mean UO is "dead". in the case that this occurs I weould suggest either finding a cummunity that is more active atm with ARMA or try playing different games such as Wargame or BMS/DCS.

It's true that TT did bring higher player counts to the server but lately since A3 released mainly people have migrated to different communities that use different mod packs that we use.

TLDR: UO aint dead just because we arnt active on ARMA. 

This is a great low quality post!

Doesn't address the issue being raised.

Amazing elitism because someone used 'garbage' in the same sentence as 'tac tuesday'.

Also, 'enforcer' never plays the game, but is telling other people they have to stop playing the game and leave the community.

Congratulations, UO is dead!

Wow lol. Even without playing during the last year I am 99.9% sure I still have more hours on these servers than you.

This has nothing to do with elitism, it just is the way this game should be played here according to the charter.

Also to address your complete lack of reading capabillity. I said "suggest" not "get the fuck out of here". Also please tell me where I said he should stop playing the game and stop making shit up.

edit: spelling

Edited by enforcer

I Love tac teusday, I was refering to the last one where there was handfull of people waiting and a BUNCH of others in the waiting room.  Theres a post on it, try to keep up and not be so rude

Waiting room is there for a reason: waiting. Tactical Tuesday wasn't an event that started at specific time at which  whole Primary stops so people can start right at xxxx time. There is no requirement for Primary to stop midmission to accomodate the Waiting Room no matter its size, unless seeder is being player, and there is a procedure in place for that situation.

Before jumping the gun/keyboard (too late already), I'm asking you to think more than once about what you're writing and search the forums a bit because you're raising a topic that's been chewed on and regirtated countless times, for no apparent reason.

Waiting room is there for a reason: waiting. Tactical Tuesday wasn't an event that started at specific time at which  whole Primary stops so people can start right at xxxx time. There is no requirement for Primary to stop midmission to accomodate the Waiting Room no matter its size, unless seeder is being player, and there is a procedure in place for that situation.

Before jumping the gun/keyboard (too late already), I'm asking you to think more than once about what you're writing and search the forums a bit because you're raising a topic that's been chewed on and regirtated countless times, for no apparent reason.

I never stated my opinion on the matter itself, only the drama that ensued and the canceling of TT because of it.  Before jumping the gun/keyboard (too late already), I'm asking you to read more than once what others wrote before making assumptions on ones unstated opinion, for no apparent reason

Edited by TTTHyperionTTT

As Vospo said, Arma is one of several games played by UO members (though I'm not sure exactly which are hosted by UO, and which are hosted elsewhere and UO serves as the 'meeting point').

Certainly A2 was once the core focus and this is evident in the language of the SOPs and guides, and in the web design. But, by way of the members voting with their participation, this is no longer the case.

When I first started playing at UO I had to wait until the off peak window of 3-4 hours when there were only 10-20 players in game in order to be able to play as there were too many (!) players in game at any other time for my net connection to handle. Now that the primary server is empty most of the time - and that makes a game centered around teamwork very difficult - I too am disappointed. But as the game gets older and superseded it is inevitable and should not be unexpected.

It is probably about time that we start officially shifting toward a new core-focus game, this is an expansive community, but that diversity is really starting to bite us in the ass in some ways. We are using an increasingly outdated game as our "primary" focus and we are losing out on new blood because of that.

Lots of people have issues with ARMA 3 as a platform, mostly because of small technical changes in the layout and setting, but was ARMA 2 any different in the beginning? We are reaching the point now where ARMA 3 content is becoming just viable enough to support the community. Personally, I would love to see more ARMA 3 being played, as it is a good platform (especially with the promised additions coming out).

We also need more Regulars on the servers during regular playing hours and a solid base group that is willing to seed the primary. If you can get 20-30 people on more will come.

No matter what arguments other people make, I joined this community to play ARMA and discovered other games because of that draw. I was lucky to arrive at a time when the atmosphere was not so toxic and when Regulars were playing on the server EVERY day. It seems like UO has just lost its soul in a way, things that were once great fun because of the people around are no longer because those people either no longer play or play too much.

We need a call to ARMA if this community is going to survive in its current form. If not, then maybe it would just be better to give up all pretense of that being the case, as I see more people hanging out in the barracks than I see in the Primary on most days.

TLDR;

It isn't going to fix itself and we need to make changes, both personal and as a community if we want it to survive.

Arma 2 is dead; as fun of a game Arma 2 is there is only so many times you can play the same missions before you're bored silly as I'm sure many of the old regulars can attest to. When you combine that with an extreme drop in both the skill level and sheer attitude of players on the server and factor in to the time of the year the will to populate it just isn't there.

If you want decent ARMA gameplay come play A3. In some ways it feels like the community has returned to it's roots with better-quality medium missions. It isn't a 24/7 populated server but UO has been down that path, is it one we want to be hurrying down now? Hopefully, as new missions are created and the modpack stabilizes the play sessions of Arma 3 should hopefully increase in frequency.

Until then you are free to come and play the plethora of other games we play here at UO, just hop into a barracks channel and see if anyone is playing things.

Wow lol. Even without playing during the last year I am 99.9% sure I still have more hours on these servers than you.

This has nothing to do with elitism, it just is the way this game should be played here according to the charter.

Also to address your complete lack of reading capabillity. I said "suggest" not "get the fuck out of here". Also please tell me where I said he should stop playing the game and stop making shit up.

edit: spelling

According to Game Tracker, I have over 10 times as many hours as you on Primary.

This is totally an elitism thing. This whole 'regular crowd' thinks they're too cool to play on the primary or with the 'normal people'.

Don't act stupid.

THE MAIN LINE HERE: Administration needs to start administrating and stop acting like issues will solve themselves because the community is dieing. The attitude of regulars+ needs to change.

Edited by SpitFir3Tornado

According to Game Tracker, I have over 10 times as many hours as you on Primary.

Gametracker resets itself quite often and is not a good way to track how many hours people play.

Gametracker resets itself quite often and is not a good way to track how many hours people play.

Last Reset was in 2012. In the last 2 years he played 10x as much, i would value his opinion about the situation on the primary alot more than to enforcer who i have nearly never seen on the primary in the last year.

Edited by Sacher

TO be honest Sacher, I wouldn't value the opinion of anyone purely because they play on the primary regularly.

The primary is inhabited by people who are not at the skill level we at one point expected at UO. Yes, you are probably in this category. People complain about regulars and GMs only playing on Tactical Tuesday, well the reason they only play then is because of the people who play. THose complaining that gameplay is only good when there're regulars on are usually those that are the problem.

Problem is, why should regulars and GMs who know how it used to be play with people who are simply going to frustrate them with their attitude and lack of basic knowledge?

I'm not talking about sperg here, I'm talking about stuff e.g.:
Taking cover properly.
Bounding properly.

Knowing how to peel.
Knowing how to deal with a casualty.
Not dropping ammunition simply because they themselves cannot use it.
Not dropping grenade because "I'm an AR I won't need them."
Knowing not to run through people's lanes of fire.

Knowing how to PID.

Knowing how to call out a contact, whatever method.
Knowing basic radio procedure (e.g. not talking when someone else is talking, knowing that they should radio in when they're in contact)
Knowing not to run everywhere because people will pass out.
Knowing that they need to keep 360 security at all times (luckily for bad players, bad missions are too simplistic to make security important)

90% of the primary population do not do this. Not even during Tactical Tuesday which was meant to be the pinnacle, but in reality had long since gone downhill.

God I hope the UO ArmA2 primary will die and make these people go away.

Playing on the primary still gives a better view on the primary than someone who never plays. It is the same like being in the military or  only having heard from a guy or read in a book about the military. 

In addition regulars aren't those superior beings like you people make them out to be. Yes there are some great people under them , but there are also some which fail at the most basic things.

Also how can you expect people to know something when they have never been told about it/shown how to do it.

IMO the major reason is arma3. I never felt arma2 to be so über clunky as everyone says, but once I felt arma3 it's just boring and frustrating to play arma2 again.

Edited by PAR4NO1D

I might come back to play Arma 2, if i did not have to stop briefings midway through because the PL thinks it would be a good idea to attack an objective from 2 directions at the same time, and not listening to my explaination until i mention the fact that i am actually a soldier.

I can deal with people not being knowlegeable, as seen by the stupendeous amount of hours i have spent teaching members of this community, but i cant deal with some random civie trying to be a smartass when i am really just trying to help him.

This is just an example, way too often i encounter new members on the primary who are not very knowlegable and even worse are not interrested in being informed.

edit:

also Hyperion dont be an asshole. If people have misunderstood your intent with a post, you try to explain your point better instead of these childish angry retorts.

Edited by Godhand 2-5

As someone who played with UO around 2 years ago, around that time it was very rare to see the server with 0 players. And there were allot of times where I just had to wait hours to be able to enter the server. I stopped playing because of my computer limitations, and had a long period without playing. I got back again about 2 months ago.

I don't share the opinion that people stopped playing because others don't know the most basic stuff, I mean when I started playing 2 years ago there was allot more players that didn't (me included ofc). Out of the 60 players playing in the server at the time I recon about 70-80% were people who haven't played long enough to be experts in all things milsim (I remember one of the biggest problems Admins and CO's had was by the end of the missions everyone just started shooting to the air on multiple occasions ). It's frustrating I know, but I never witness that as a reason to empty a server of regulars or longtime UO players at that time.

People still had fun, and people still came back for more.

Now I think that Arma 2 lost its steam. It's a great game and I'll play it as long there's people on the primary to play with, but the content coming out for it it's almost zero, new missions are always nice but they can only change so much. New players aren't coming also because of that, I reckon if I want to join a milsim community in 2014 because I liked some videos or something, I'm not going to join one that mostly play a dated game, but rather I would join one that plays Arma 3.

Playing Arma 3 on fridays got rid of my concerns about the game, there's allot of possibilities for milsim in that game, and I wish new mods/missions (and please, pretty please shacktac) get added as fast as possible to the arma 3 primary and have more people playing it.

Mad

It's frustrating I know, but I never witness that as a reason to empty a server of regulars or longtime UO players at that time.

People still had fun, and people still came back for more.

...(and please, pretty please shacktac) get added as fast as possible to the arma 3 primary and have more people playing it.

Madplan,

I think people just got worn out by the players who didn't care. Once some hoped that mentoring, training or leading by example might make a difference, but they lost hope when over the years when there still seemed to be so many players that just don't listen or worse argue.

And I think many believe that the goal is not to get high numbers in ARMA3 and the lack of the STHud is part of the reason that the quality of play is superior.

Madplan,

I think people just got worn out by the players who didn't care. Once some hoped that mentoring, training or leading by example might make a difference, but they lost hope when over the years when there still seemed to be so many players that just don't listen or worse argue.

And I think many believe that the goal is not to get high numbers in ARMA3 and the lack of the STHud is part of the reason that the quality of play is superior.

Yeah I get you, I've noticed many people who wouldn't just listen/care about even the basic stuff to be a UO player, and even for a new player like me it was frustrating since I was (and still am) there to learn and improve and try to get better.

As for the Arma 3 I agree, I was fine with yesterday's numbers, what I meant was more people playing during the week, not only on fridays. I still feel lost without shacktac since I was so used to it (and I'm still having some sound volume issues with acre2 and it affects me quite a bit with the spatial awareness). But I agree that without it the quality of play, and communication is needed more than ever to do your job.

Playing on the primary still gives a better view on the primary than someone who never plays. It is the same like being in the military or  only having heard from a guy or read in a book about the military. 

In addition regulars aren't those superior beings like you people make them out to be. Yes there are some great people under them , but there are also some which fail at the most basic things.

Also how can you expect people to know something when they have never been told about it/shown how to do it.

Sometimes an outsider can see better than those inside. Infact, usually quite often.

I know, but then I would also argue that many of our regulars should have their regularship removed. The problem is when people start lowering standards, those standards then get lowered by those of a lower standard getting in etc.

People have been told about it, if they have not then they do not have the right mindset and can bugger off frankly. If you can't even be bothered to check "Hmm, do I need to know anything extra before I leap into MilSim?" then why are you even here?