Cunnah

Elite: Dangerous

If your not 100% sure about getting this I would just hold off to release - 16th of december because after every build they wipe your progress.

There are a few perks to preordering the game before it launches: you get a free Eagle with various paintjobs and decals for customization purposes (I believe it's for both the Eagle and other playable ships), and free access to the Sol system without having to become best buddies with the Federation first.

Edited by Merlo

There are a few perks to preordering the game before it launches: you get a free Eagle with various paintjobs and decals for customization purposes (I believe it's for both the Eagle and other playable ships), and free access to the Sol system without having to become best buddies with the Federation first.

Yep seems your right:

New Beta Benefits! Being a Beta backer is the only way you will be able to play Elite: Dangerous until 16th December.  In addition to that and the other existing Beta benefits such as Mercenary Edition and automatic permit to visit Sol, today we are delighted to announce:
  • 25% off in-game ship insurance for life to all our Beta backers 
  • plus free access for Beta and Alpha backers to one of the 5 new ships that David announced in his piece above when it’s released!
as a ‘thank you’ for all their help.

Every Alpha and Beta backer will receive a pre-release ‘gamma’ build on November 22nd, and can continue to play, receive updates, and help us verify it before Elite: Dangerous is released on December 16th.

Until November 22nd there is an upgrade path to Beta if you have already pre-ordered the game which will cost you an additional £15. Just go to the store, put the Beta in your basket and the correct discount will be applied when you checkout.

Once again, our sincere thanks go to everyone who has supported us throughout this process.

If space sim games are your thing I would get Elite.

They're also planning on adding walking around your ship and around stations eventually.

This game is literally becoming Star Citizen before Star Citizen is Star Citizen.

They're also planning on adding walking around your ship and around stations eventually.

This game is literally becoming Star Citizen before Star Citizen is Star Citizen.

Its going to be in one of the expansions.

It would be nice if before that, they could actually fix their game and add some content. Because at the moment, for a multiplayer only game (now that they have removed the offline option, going back on their kickstarter promises), it fucking sucks.

Instancing is totally borked last I checked, with it very difficult to meet with friends and get into the same distance (sometimes once you have met up dropping you into separate instances), you can't trade or transfer money to each other, can't do joint missions, can't fly in formation, or slave FTL drives, the com system is rubbish, and you can't rescue other players if they are interdicted or get in trouble at unidentified signal sources because they are local to each player.

As for content, the missions are boring and without depth, and there seems to be no evidence of any dynamic events that were originally promised.

It's a pretty game and the core gameplay of flying around is fun, but really shallow when it comes to things to actually do other than fly around.

Been quite enjoying this, drummed up cash through bulletin board trading runs and then a bit of bounty hunting. 

Got as far as the Cobra Mk III, fitted some new guns,  fuel scoop, examined the map to find a destination (initially Wolf 359) and set off.

paying my way through exploration and harvesting my own fuel (took me a while to find a good balance between fuel harvesting and melting my ship in the sun), not the most efficient way of making money but I quite enjoy it.

the connection issues are a bit of a pain, and it does need fleshing out a bit with a wider variety of content but its shaping up to be a lot of fun.

I haven't really asked around for anyone else playing because the multi player features look a bit rubbish, hope they add everything kingslayer mentioned.

Edited by cken1774

We are now up to Gamma 1.04.

Additionally Frontier released the following tutorial video

There is a special Black Friday offer which will last until Monday with most ships paintjobs being discounted and the 6-pack for the Cobra ship is free.

Finally a somewhat scripted* scenario showing off a capital ship in action was shown in the Elite Premiere.

*according to a dev the only scripting is the presence of the scenario itself as an accessible Unidentified Signal Source and making the player (Kerrash) immortal

Gamma 2 was released yesterday evening.

Lots of bug fixes, quite a few tweaks, a new menu screen, new launcher and the addition of two new trading ships: the Lakon Type-7 and the Adder, which are basically a step up from the Lakon Type-6 and the Hauler respectively.

Oh and from what I've read the wing-tips on the Adder fold up when the landing gear is lowered.

Edit: almost forgot to add that amongst the various additions, the game now finally has Borderless Windowed support.

Edited by Merlo

I'm still waiting on Star Citizen, is this worth a purchase?

I think it depends on what you want from a game and how much of an Elite fan you are.

Star Citizen has much faster paced combat with a much more detailed damage system on ships, and is going for a much more story based approach. It is planning to have a 100 hour singleplayer campaign, multiple singleplayer expansion packs after that, a small but more in-depth and hand crafted universe of a few hundred systems to start with ,with land able locations on planets and stations, very in-depth player effected ongoing storylines in the multiplayer universe, and large scale player organisations.

Elite has literally billions of systems, the whole milky way galaxy is modelled, but the downside is that much of it lacks any uniqueness, stations will often look the same from system to system and you can't get out and walk around (this is promised in an eventual expansion pack). There are some dynamic conflicts and events which players can effect the outcome of, though these are not particularly in-depth. Elite is also multiplayer only, you can play on your own, but that still requires a connection to Frontier's server for things like market data. Multiplayer itself is rather wonky, there are no player organisations of any kind, you cannot even team up with friends to do joint missions. Last time I played instancing was bad as well, and it was very difficult to meet up with friends, though they may have fixed that issue by now.

Elite overall is very thin on content, you can do a bit of trading, a few missions, a bit of piracy and explore a bit but after a few hours you will have seen everything the game has to offer. While it now a released game, unlike Star Citizen, unless you are a big Elite fan I would say it's best to wait a while until the devs add more content.

Edited by Kingslayer

Elite overall is very thin on content, you can do a bit of trading, a few missions, a bit of piracy and explore a bit but after a few hours you will have seen everything the game has to offer. While it now a released game, unlike Star Citizen, unless you are a big Elite fan I would say it's best to wait a while until the devs add more content.

That's an overall good reply: unlike Star Citizen, Elite is actually out and what content is there is great and pretty polished (barring a few hiccups with bounty hunting and the economy in some systems), but there isn't too much stuff to do and it is very much a sandbox game. More content will come, both as part of expansions (planetary landings, walking outside of your ship) and free updates for stuff that had its allotted development reduced so that Frontier could focus on making what is there working properly for the promised December release (and it is suprisingly stable).

Like Kingslayer said, if you aren't sure there are no penalties on just waiting until more stuff is added.

I would check some online videos, since the community has made quite a few of them already.

Cheers for the great answers, I think I'll just mess about with what Star Citizen currently has out. The arena and stuff, but if Elite fulfills all their promises I'll definitely be picking it up

I should probably remember to post them when they come out.

So, without further ado, here's a link to Newsletter #53: looks like the Empire's internal politics in the next few weeks are going to be interesting, with the slave revolt in the Sorbago system being of particular interest; the Federation is spending more money on their military budget.

Finally the Federation-held system of Lugh is now on the brink of civil war due to all the players supporting the local "Crimson State Group" minor faction, helping it increase its influence on the system: this is really interesting since it has been done all through the game's internal simulation mechanics responding to organized player input rather than an event created by the devs like the current situation in Sorbargo.

Edited by Merlo

And with very little fanfare, it's apparently been released to 1.0 today.

Frontier just published a Release Diary video with David Braben

Speaking of the story mentioned, there's a fan website that is collecting all the GalNet news articles published in-game, and it's now almost guaranteed that there's going to be some succession fight in the Empire (with some references from Elite 3) while the Federation is currently blockading a planet whose main export is drugs (and increasing their military spending).

It's very much a huge open-galaxy sandbox at the moment, with no overarching story to head down. You're given a shitty ship, a small amount of money and a galaxy to go explore. It's an MMO in that you can play online with parties of commanders and undertake certain jobs with them or go it alone. 

Missions include assassinations, transport contracts, spreading propaganda for one faction or another, anti-piracy contracts and humanitarian missions and are all optional, or you could ignore them and go mining. None are linked together in the short term - they don't follow a narrative - but undertaking the missions does have an affect on local politics, economics and your reputations with differing factions. 

Not played freelancer, so can't help on that front.

John

What j0hnanderson said.

Additionally the devs are injecting events, so while the player won't have a personal story where he (and every single other player) is the chosen one, there are a few stories currently playing out where the player can participate.

The current hotspots are an Imperial Slave rebellion in the Sorbargo system being repressed by Senator Torval and her slaver corporation, with two of her personal cruisers (the Elizabeth and the Boudica) already engaged in combat; the Federation is blockading the Kappa Fornacis system due to their export of the allucinogenic plant known as "Onionhead"; there's a civil war in the independent Jera system and Imperial Senator Patreus is backing one of the two warring factions; the Federation is stepping up their military spending; Senator Patreus is also sending a few of his personal cruisers to the Durius system since the local government failed to pay back the interests on a series of loans; and finally Emperor Duval health is worsening, while he disawoved his heir.

These evolving stories can be followed by reading the in-game GalNet newsfeed (updated daily) or by checking this fan archive: http://galnetarchive.blogspot.com/

Aside from this, there is a player effort to try and have the system Lugh leave the Federation and go independent by supporting one specific faction.

The official game manual is also avaiable at the following adress and will be updated every time there are any significant gameplay additions: http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/ELITE-DANGEROUS-GAME-MANUAL.pdf

... there is a player effort to try and have the system Lugh leave the Federation and go independent by supporting one specific faction.

Or help the federation by putting down those pesky rebels. ;)

John

I just finished installing the game, is there anyone playing that I can mooch off of (follow around and destroy shit together?)