Cunnah

Elite: Dangerous

Hi guys!

I am a massive fan of the elite franchise and have been having fun on the premium beta build for a while now. If you have never experienced elite I highly recommend you get acquainted; it's the big granddaddy of 4X space games. Anyhow my advice to anyone who has asked about the game has been unless you really want to support the latest game you should hang back until now.

Screenshot_0026.jpg

Starting some time tonight the standard beta will start. To get involved is £50 (not sure what the other prices are) and I do think it is worth that. For those who can wait the game is supposed to release sometime this year for around £35 but I do think it is worth the current price.

Check out the web page here http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

And the latest newsletter here http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=c5e7202cb7

Hope to see you on the servers.

Edited by Cunnah

I loved the old Elite games (having the whole galaxy on one floppy disk was pretty amazing) and I was very happy when this was announced.

From what I saw it also looks really good, both in terms of grahpics and in terms of flight mechanics. Though I'll probably wait for the full release when most bugs are eliminated etc. I also really hope they will add planet landings in the future.

There already has been concept art for planet landing released, they haven't promised it but it is generally accepted it is going to be one of the earliest additions to the game. Currently the game is very stable for a beta release, the biggest problems are more to do with balancing and mostly PvP balance. 

I bought it. 

The gameplay and the idea are superb, but the game still missing some fundamental features, like a proper tutorial and  a clearer possible goals list(like EVE).

Ah well, I always intended to get it eventually, but I guess sooner is better than later =o

I bought it. 

The gameplay and the idea are superb, but the game still missing some fundamental features, like a proper tutorial and  a clearer possible goals list(like EVE).

I agree, the greatest missing feature that should be appearing in the beta are the missions. 

Starting with a cargohold of only 4 units makes starting out with trading really hard. It doesn't help that stations keep disappearing leading to my death when I log back in. Overall though, this looks like it will be a really good game.

Also, if you, like me, paid for the standard beta after backing during the kickstarter for the release game, you're supposed to get the difference discounted automatically at checkout. I didn't, filed a support ticket and got 40 EUR back.

Starting with a cargohold of only 4 units makes starting out with trading really hard. It doesn't help that stations keep disappearing leading to my death when I log back in. Overall though, this looks like it will be a really good game.

Also, if you, like me, paid for the standard beta after backing during the kickstarter for the release game, you're supposed to get the difference discounted automatically at checkout. I didn't, filed a support ticket and got 40 EUR back.

Do the bulletin board cargo run missions: you can usually get one to deliver a single unit of Leather (which will be provided to you at no cost) from Azeban City to Aulin Enterprises that will pay about 3500 credits.

The new BBS helps immensely to alleviate the grind for money and is thus a really welcome addition.

Edited by Merlo

Do the bulletin board cargo run missions: you can usually get one to deliver a single unit of Leather (which will be provided to you at no cost) from Azeban City to Aulin Enterprises that will pay about 3500 credits.

The new BBS helps immensely to alleviate the grind for money and is thus a really welcome addition.

Thanks. Ran into some battle weapons drifting outside Aulin which netted me a decent profit on the black market while jumping from station to station to find myself some missions. Had my heart in the throat the entire flight from Aulin to another system with a black market, expecting the security forces to come and murder me.

Have played Elite since elite 2 on my Atari ST (i try to forget first encounters), its good to see its return! With Elite there were never a clear set of goals - there are no 'classes' or roles - your job in elite is to survive, incur cash and make sure your not dead. some will bounty hunt, others will pirate, some will smuggle and some try an honest trade run. some even do a bit of all. it looks like a lot of fun, and ill probably wait til the cost comes down further; not because £50 isn't worth it (it is)  but because I have little cash and am ok waiting on the price coming down.

How have you found the online player base? I hope its not filled with griefers and derps...

Edited by ghostdog

Kingslayer's Elite Adventures

Load into game proper for the first time. Decide to dock with station. This is a challenge. Bounce round the edge of the station looking for the entrance. Realise I probably need to request docking access. This is also troublesome for me. Fiddle with the comms menu. Send a friend request, then send a voice chat request to the station. Realise that I have just sent both to an inanimate object, and that this was rather silly.  

Tab out, watch docking tutorial video.  Work out how to send a docking request. Fly round station, finally find entrance, fly in, slightly miss. Ship proceeds to bounce back and forth in the entrance of the station, damaging it. Finally mange to fly in. There are then some difficulties with the landing pad. After bouncing off it a few times, finally work out what I'm doing with the landing gear. Decide to do some sightseeing.

Fly out of the station, jump to star, get stuck in gravity well. After a short period working out that flying close to a star is bad for the ships health, manage to escape. Fly to planet with a ring. Fly into ring, it is cool. Fly around a little more, get interdicted and promptly shot out the sky by a pirate.

Respawn, got new starter ship.  Decide I should probably start playing the game properly and make some money. This effort is somewhat hampered when I get sideswiped by a ship at the station entrance. Have to pay most of my starting money in repairs. Take job, apparently some people are having a charity drive and want some synthetic meat. Fly to a an agricultural system. Manage to dock this time with a minimum of fuss. My joy at this is achievement is lessened when I discover there is no synthetic meat for sale. Fly to another system, also no synthetic meat.

Realise that, as with all space games, there will already be someone nerdy enough tracking the markets. Tab out, sure enough find trade tool online which is tracking the markets and the best place to find goods. Go to the system which is reported to have cheap synthetic meats.

Hurrah, it does have it. Buy it and plot my course back to the station where I have to deliver the cargo. Halfway through the journey, realise that the fuel gauge is rather alarming low. Decide that thanks to my rather weak finances, I'll keep jumping, rather than stop for fuel on the way.

Arrive in the system where I am to make the delivery. At this point it could be said that the ship is running on fumes. Undeterred, plot my course for the station. Shortly before I reach the station I am interdicted though, but thanks to my new tactic of "fly away as quickly as fucking possible," I make it to the station safely. The docking is a triumph, as I fly in and land without hitting a single thing, and I deliver my cargo, leaving me, after paying for more fuel, 300 credits richer.    

They could really do with some better tutorials so that idiots like me that are new to the game spend less time blocking station entrances when they fuck up their approach, but overall I'm very impressed with the game this far, both graphics and sound wise it is very impressive, and I found that even doing little cargo runs is pretty engaging.

Been waiting for this for a long time, but balked at the initial price for the alpha. My willpower crumbled however at the launch of the beta. I've had a quick play around doing the scenarios, and I can honestly say it had me as excited playing as the first time round on my Commodore 64.

I still have some x55 tweaking to do, and haven't even headed out into multiplayer space yet, but I am really looking forward to that a lot. I am cmd j0hnanderson in game.

John

Something Kingslayer and I found out last night is how the friend system works. Lack of documentation is the bane of this game but... If you make friends with people they must first accept it. Once accepted one of you need to quit the game and log back in. While logging in it will search for your friends and ensure you are on the same server. One last thing is if you have an interrupted connection it is possible for you to be in the same instance and see your friend but your friend will be unable to see you just re-log. Hunting large ships is far easier with support, even if that support is I will fly around while trying to not die while king tries to hit it ;).  

They need to add some features in for people flying together, like being able to slave ships systems to each other, and set group waypoints and the like, they have talked about these features so they should be forthcoming. At the moment though it is annoying when you're flying along, one person gets interdicted, and then you can't get assisted by anyone else.

Still when you do manage to link up it's pretty fun, Cunnah and I hunted pirates (and one poor miner who we killed accidently)  in the ring system of a planet, and it was damn fun. And now thanks to some trading runs I've been able to afford a new burst laser on a gimbal, so I might actually hit something now :tongue:.

A good way to get money is just to trawl the unidentified signal sources in either lp-whatever-thesystemwithfreeport or that lhs system one jump from Ovid till you get a big old haul of gold. About 16,000 if you fill up a sidewinder, couple of lucky strikes and you can get into a hauler and start the poopsock grind to a more enjoyable ship; or just put better guns on the sidewinder. Did it myself and am now planning to chill out for the rest of the beta in a well equipped cobra till the next wipe and it didn't take absurdly long either.

If you're in a group or on a friends' list it seems the only places you can reliably link up at the moment are at the static sites like nav beacons, federal distress, resource extraction etc. The unidentified sources are local to each client.

The occasional kamikaze enemy AI is a somewhat frustrating. The last 3 ships I've lost is due to getting rammed by enemies. Worse it seems to be deliberate behaviour, I'll rack up 20 or 30 bounty vouchers, taking little to no damage in the process, then slammed into and instakilled by 1 AI, even with full hull and shields. On the most recent occasion I saw an enemy ship ram into and kill an AI ship that was friendly to me, take no damage from this, then it proceeded to aim for me, match my course corrections as I tried to get out of its way, and then kill me as well.

Fortunately most AI seem less keen on ramming speed, but it's not fun when 1 suicidal enemy turns up to ruin your day. 

Edited by Kingslayer

If you get slammed by AI without full power to SYS the Sidewinder and the Eagle can't take that punishment. I always try to stay out of the fuzzball as much as possible even if that means breaking off an attack. Having said that the Sidewinder with full SYS can make an effective battering ram against smaller ships. 

This game looks great! I played the original back in the 80's. Need to get my throttle/joystick up.

Sooo. its a beta, what is there to do besides trading and killing each other?

Sooo. its a beta, what is there to do besides trading and killing each other?

There's buying bigger ships & guns, exploring, trading & killing each other & NPCs. There's actually very little PvP action going on, which is a surprise. :smile:

Is there any decent way to play as a team yet?

The Grouping system isn't really set up yet, and simply meeting up with friends can be hit & miss due to players occupying different instances. It is possible though with perseverance.

It is still in Beta, and so it's more stress-testing than anything at this stage. Also, any progress and money made and/or ships bought will be wiped with each update.

John

By the way, you can find me flying as CMDR Dorf Lundgren

Also, any chance of an Elite:Dangerous teamspeak room under Misc games?

Edited by j0hnanderson

Here's a few screenies I took during this beta and the previous one that I thought I'd share:

a6Vw5ZG.jpg

Oo86nyX.jpg

5kew91p.jpg