Sign in to follow this  
Imcraez

Bowe Berghdahl, only American POW in Afghanistan, freed!

I remember when he got captured back in 2009. We spent a full week doing CSAR looking for his ass, 2 marines got killed in the process that were involved in a QRF TIC. There are a lot of conflicting reports on how and why he was captured. I hope for his conscience's sake that he didn't just "walk off post" as most suggest. Anways, regardless of the circumstances it's good to finally have this guy back in our hands. 5 years is a long time to spend in Pakistan.

I wonder who the 5 Taliban leaders/members were that they traded him for.

And also being that the prisoners were in Guantanamo Bay, do you think the gov really handed them over? Or is it likely that each of those men have a tracking device sewn into their internal organs or in some way will play to America's hand?

Regardless it is great news and a testament to America, its armed forces and their dedication to bring every soldier home.

Or is it likely that each of those men have a tracking device sewn into their internal organs or in some way will play to America's hand?

Are you for real?

In either case, I remember hearing about him in our Conduct After Capture (CAC) lessons, so I am glad to hear he is finally coming home. It certainly made an impression seeing released videos of him and knowing for how long he had been held captive.

Something I read today on it:

"Forwarded from Jeff Howard. "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl. Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit. There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban. They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth. Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman. He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."

Read it on OAFNation. Semi-Satirical website and facebook page on everything arma. Guy who runs it is ex-army, PMC now. As I said, frequently posts up satirical pieces on the military but also has some really good actual news posts and commentary on goings on. 

I'm not sure how truthful this is, but generally, his stuff is legit. Has some really good interviews occasionally about stuff as well, would recommend at least following on facebook.

I've seen a couple different sources from guys in his platoon imply really fishy behavior. Will provide links later for people to make their own judgements. In the meantime, welcome home.

Edit: As promised, here's the link I was thinking of, besides the quotes provided. I for one am reluctant to jump to conclusions and will let that get handled by others.

Edited by HellHound

If all of this desertion talk is true, and on the premise that the goverment know's he's flipped it would make perfect sense. why not take a whole cell down as you take Berghdahl back. 
But all of this is ofcourse predicated on it beeing true.

Time will tell.

Are you for real?

The greatness of America's military is that we are willing to go to great extents to retrieve any soldier that does not return home.

Very few nations I imagine would trade 5 high ranking officers of a terrorist organization for 1 military private.

My ultimate question is, what does the United States gain from this exchange besides avoiding a PR disaster? The Taliban gets 5 important people back.

I would like to think that in this case it is being done for the well being of the soldier and their family, but I don't believe the people calling the shots on who gets to leave Guantanamo are that benevolent. Especially without getting something that would be useful in return such as RFID data.

The greatness of America's military is that we are willing to go to great extents to retrieve any soldier that does not return home.

Very few nations I imagine would trade 5 high ranking officers of a terrorist organization for 1 military private.

My ultimate question is, what does the United States gain from this exchange besides avoiding a PR disaster? The Taliban gets 5 important people back.

I would like to think that in this case it is being done for the well being of the soldier and their family, but I don't believe the people calling the shots on who gets to leave Guantanamo are that benevolent. Especially without getting something that would be useful in return such as RFID data.

...ok.

1. JBs "are you for real" had nothing to do with your answer. Literally nothing. I mean you couldn't have been farther from the mark.

2. "Greatness of America's military"...I mean really? Each army goes to great lengths to retrieve lost soldiers, I can't image one Western nation that wouldn't at least. The American military did nothing any other military deployed to the middle east wouldn't, CSAR, extended searches, increased patrols etc.

3. This prisoner exchange has nothing with the "Greatness of the American military". Political and democratic discourse through special governmental agencies is where you can attest the "greatness." SF acted as force protection for a "swap".

4. Prisoner exchanges have happened throughout history, this one is just high profile and controversial. But in short, yes, nations have and will continue to conduct prisoner exchanges.

5. Are you for real?

Information on the prisoner exchange, the 5 taliban leaders were not returned to the Taliban, they were just moved to a slightly nicer then Gitmo prison in Qatar so it isn't like they can do much anyway.  The Taliban doesn't have much of a hold in Qatar.  As for the fact that he is a deserter, yes.  It is only just that he be tried for his crimes, but we should not forget that he is American as well so we should give him a fair trial.  We don't need to smother this guy in pig shit and burn him alive to make a point.

+1 Thawk, Rapier, you don't seem to really know what you are talking about.

Edited by Imcraez

At least the Americans got a better deal then we did.

I'm sure the billions in foreign aid make up for it.

Would you rather have the shekels or the prisoners?

He is innocent until a verdic have been giving by a judge.

But I have read upon and seen alot of interviews about the fellow soldiers in his unit which state the same as Thawk wrote, if you're going to the latrine you really don't need your compass or your knife. It's often said that you shall always take your weapon with you were ever you go when you're on deployment.

War unleashed, why don't you take the cell down? Two reasons,

1. I doubt the whole cell would be present.
  2. The same reason why taking surrendering prisoners alive is a good idea, if you don't then the enemy won't surrender. Likewise you can kiss good bye your ability to negotiate in the future.

RFID data.

I don't think you know what RFID is.

I think you should consider putting some more thought in posts like this.

I'm sure the billions in foreign aid make up for it.

Would you rather have the shekels or the prisoners?

Not sure what this is supposed to be, probably a joke gone bad, terribly bad.

War unleashed, why don't you take the cell down? Two reasons,

1. I doubt the whole cell would be present.
  2. The same reason why taking surrendering prisoners alive is a good idea, if you don't then the enemy won't surrender. Likewise you can kiss good bye your ability to negotiate in the future.

To anyone thinking "oh its ok freedom seals will kill these terrorists soon enough", Read and understand what Cunnah wrote.

Not sure what this is supposed to be, probably a joke gone bad, terribly bad.

Well, you do have a JIDF avatar, so I figured you'd have a sense of humour about it.

Unless... You're not kidding?