Sign in to follow this  
Huska

Time for an Upgrade

So I've been thinking I need to upgrade now that I have some money.

Any suggestions?

Current build: GTX 460 1gb, AMD Phenom II quadcore ~3.2GHz, 8 GB RAM. PSU is 650W

What I'm thinking:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285 - AMD FX-8320 8-core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202090 - Raedon R9 2gb

And possibly a RAM upgrade in the future to 16GB. I think the CPU upgrade will require me to get a new cooling system for my machine. Right now it's a few fans. I think one of them isn't functioning.

If I get the new CPU I listed I will need a new MOBO. Trying to keep the budget under $300 but it's flexible if I feel like it. I know Arma won't get much of a boost from the CPU, but I'm looking to upgrade to something that will be able to play games for the next few years decently. My GPU is crapping out. Won't be long until it dies.

AMD CPUs currently are majorly under-performing in gaming scenarios due to their application - they're designed for high-SMP-based loads, which unfortunately are not games.

I'd aim for a slightly pricier Intel i5, preferably Haswell, but Ivy Bridge is also fairly new. The i5-4670(k) is currently the sweetspot right now. But if you want to stay in budget by getting an i3, the AMD FX 8XXX processors are directly comparable to Intel i3 processors for tasks like gaming, so stick with AMD in that case.

If you don't believe me, scroll down to the bottom of this review of the AMD FX 8350 (which is slightly better than your current choice), and in Arma it's comparable to a lowly Intel i3 processor.

Currently AMD GPUs are in extremely high demand due to GPU mining and such, and since their supply hasn't dramatically increased, expect to pay some premiums over comparable Nvidia counterparts for some of their higher-end cards. If the AMD card you want is over MSRP, then it probably is inflated due to demand. Otherwise it's a good buy.

Edited by Naught

Of course I don't believe you! - NAUGHT! 

Puns aside, I will look into the i5. I would like to be cheap, but I feel like I don't have a choice now. I'll also look into Nvidia cards. I was originally considering getting a second GTX 460 and running SLI but I decided against. I'll post back after some research later.

Of course I don't believe you! - NAUGHT! 

Puns aside, I will look into the i5. I would like to be cheap, but I feel like I don't have a choice now. I'll also look into Nvidia cards. I was originally considering getting a second GTX 460 and running SLI but I decided against. I'll post back after some research later.

Probably not a bad way to go. I'm looking at a completely new build and it's probably going to end up being an i5-4670 paired with a GTX 770.

If you feel like your GPU is starting to give out that would be the first thing I would replace. It would suck to drop $300 on a new CPU or MOBO, then it be for nothing because your GPU dies.

I got myself a new build last week (thanks for your help, Naught):

i5 4670k -> CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler

GA-Z87-D3HP Mobo

Zotac GTX 760 AMP! Edition

G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4Gb

Arma 2 with all settings at highest and CPU at 3.8 was never dipping below ~50FPS on primary (most i played was 60 people). Last night, I OC'd it to 4.4 (1.2v): with prime95, I got 81C, but after trying FSX (full of mods) and A2 for a bit, I never went above 69C (72 is recommended max for Haswell, apparently).

That said, if you're not playing anything more demanding than A2, GTX760 appears good enough and i5 4670k is overclockable even with a $35 cooler.

The 8320 doesn't compare to the 8350, and the problem with the 8350 is that they has poor Multi-core optimization for older games Especially ArmA 2 and ArmA 3, with that in mind if tweaking is your thing you can get it to perform equal with the Intel 3570k in gaming, with that in mind the OC capability is great when paired with water cooling ( you can get it to 5GHZ if your lucky), as for AMD cards their ok but only win on the price:performance ratio

If you are playing all kinds of game, you could invest the difference between the 8350 and the i5 4670k towards a better GPU (280X/770). Even though Arma2 is heavily CPU-bound and has limited multi-threading, most recent titles are bottlenecked by the GPU anyway.

I got myself a new build last week (thanks for your help, Naught):

i5 4670k -> CM Hyper 212 Evo cooler

GA-Z87-D3HP Mobo

Zotac GTX 760 AMP! Edition

G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4Gb

Arma 2 with all settings at highest and CPU at 3.8 was never dipping below ~50FPS on primary (most i played was 60 people). Last night, I OC'd it to 4.4 (1.2v): with prime95, I got 81C, but after trying FSX (full of mods) and A2 for a bit, I never went above 69C (72 is recommended max for Haswell, apparently).

That said, if you're not playing anything more demanding than A2, GTX760 appears good enough and i5 4670k is overclockable even with a $35 cooler.

I got my i5-4670k to 4.6 (adaptive) with my CM hyper 212 evo myself. Usually above 60 fps all the time. Temps with ArmA have been high 60s for me. Haven't played FSX in sooo long! Virtual airlines and vatsim is what got me into computer gaming in the first place! Edited by Gabee

Right now my 460 can run a lot with decent settings. I going to look at an i5 a and some of the mid range nvidia cards. I'll report back when I've re-picked.

I was also thinking about the FX Series, but then, after doing some researching, I found out that the entire FX Series has serious cooling issues even after replacing the boxed cooler. I'm currently building a new Computer myself and after reading this I'm leaning towards Intel.

TBH if you are going to go with the 4670k. You should SERIOUSLY consider delidding the chip and re-applying thermal paste. Though Haswell architecture is pretty good, intel REALLY dropped the ball again when they were designing the cooling setup of the chip. If you are looking for a personal vouching of the GTX770, I currently have the EVGA GTX770 SC ACR and it is easily the best bang for buck video card on the market. Do yourself a favor and buy the 4gb DDR5 version. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Also, my advice about delidding the chip should only be considered if you plan on overclocking. If you, don't then why even go for the 4670k? It is a waste of money to buy water cooling and a K series chip if you run it on stock speeds.

If money is an issue and you are looking to keep it under a budget, IVY bridge is still very viable. Most of the motherboards are fairly cheap and they will peform just as well as the Z87 chipsets.

I was also thinking about the FX Series, but then, after doing some researching, I found out that the entire FX Series has serious cooling issues even after replacing the boxed cooler. I'm currently building a new Computer myself and after reading this I'm leaning towards Intel.

To a degree this is true. I just built a FX-8350 setup for a friend on a budget and it is a pretty decent setup if you are tight on cash. Don't expect to have super stable over clocking temps. But if you are okay with the prospect of having to replace the chip sooner than later, it is perfectly fine. Don't expect it to remain as viable solution past say 2-3 years. I have a feeling it will be pretty outdated as most AMD chips are.

My ONLY beef with AMD chips is that they are horridly inefficient. 125W power requirements, 32NM architecture and no hyperthreading equivilant. Their solution is generally just raw processing speeds and very little refinement. What applications would even use 8 cores or even 6 cores? Needless to say, I would never invest my money into it as a main rig.

Edited by Fluffer