RedCard

Space Engineers

FpPnew5.jpg

aka 'Baby's first Lego Star Citizen'.

Actually I am having a lot of fun just throwing together basic ships and throwing them against eachother. Systems are still pretty rudimentary and there's no guarantee this will turn into the game it could be.  Who cares, It's a great time to be a gamer.

Anyone have some designs they want to share?

vjbtlqA.jpg

I have a dropship I made floating around somewhere

Game freaking wigs out like crazy if I ram it into an asteroid. I'm assuming the physics are client side, rather than server side. 

I was thinking about trying to make a star destroyer [original i know] or an SSD, but I haven't gotten bored enough yet. I'm still struggling a little bit with the basic mechanics of landing gear and moving parts. 

Edited by Reaper Two

It's interesting and well made so far. But they need a game designer, because it's not a game at the moment - it feels like a game engine demo.

I have just purchased this game few days ago, but haven't play it yet. What's the game about? Just building ships and flying around or you can actually build your own base, etc... as well?

Basically right now its Minecraft in space in creative mode.

They are working on a survival mode where you will have to mine for materials to make ships, stations, etc, but it is not finished.

They have multiplayer so you can open your creations up for your friends to explore, or open it up to the public for a select few assholes to destroy. The player limit is 16-20 I think.

I've built a small strike carrier. Nothing fancy, and I still have to put in all the lights, but it was fun to make.

5dacZRD.jpg

s0fx11C.jpg

FwctgV1.jpg

dynTNNT.jpg

Edited by Merlo

I just started playing and like it so far. Instead all you playing alone, we should do it together on a server. Come and see in my TS channel if you want to play. This game will definitely get better when they add survival mode, maybe space pirates, etc...

Edited by Mikee

Fantastic carrier Merlo.

Game play is definitely what is lacking, but in the short term I'm digging the creative vibe. Easy to sit down with a buddy for a couple hours and come up with something fun.

CUJQTUY.jpg

Work in progress - before:

CYWVmTR.jpg

After:

q7ajaTD.jpg

Very stress relieving to blow apart something that just isn't working. We played hide and seek in the wreckage with our fighters, poking out to take potshots before diving back into a blast hole.

You guys are all so much more creative than I am and it makes me mad. I just tried to build Prometheus from stargate... It sucked really bad.

Just put these together because I was making a poster for something else. Really was fun to build all of it though, wish that this could be completely manned and played.

JDdqiqM.jpg

caQZ8vM.jpg

ASdRr1G.jpg

jSJR2pq.jpg

3wZmpTE.jpg

I find it fun when I'm building Alien-ish ships to think about what the intent of design was. For instance, the Red ships here are developed by an Apex Predator species, who never needed projectile tools or weaponry of any kind and finds the use of them difficult because of the many talons and sharp claws on their appendages. The ships themselves are an extension of the species' talons and they even name the ships after them. The big ones are referred to in the same name of the large talons on the species' feet while the small ones are named after the claws on their hands. The species also finds red as a dominant color because it is the coloration of the Alpha-Males of the species and believe that the coloration will make their ships stronger.

Stuff like that is just so much fun.

Human ships always seem to come out similar in my games though. Large ships that look basically like modern navy craft. I used to use smaller turrets using rotors but now that they released gatling turrets and Rocket tubes to large ships I make the ships more like half carrier/half big ass rifle. Hope this game gets more optimized and they can add more features and customization options, along with more offensive and defensive options like shielding and gravity-affected blocks. Would be nice to make a MAC cannon that doesn't require me to put a stone at the middle of every round I make.

Edited by Fred_the_Destroyer

Nametag and me have been playing that on survival for quite a while now. New players are always welcome to join the survival journey.

We've passed the starving phase, now we have a small station. A working fan on the top gives it a cool light effect, must see.

2014_04_25_00002.jpg

Also a small drill ship on the back.

And now, we're building our first large ship. Pretty basic, but it looks kinda cool, and I can't wait to star travelling (into nothing) on a crewed ship.

2014_04_25_00005.jpg

2014_04_25_00006.jpg

And now, we're building our first large ship. Pretty basic, but it looks kinda cool, and I can't wait to star travelling (into nothing) on a crewed ship.

I know what you mean, that may be the biggest flaw in this game, hopefully they can create a kind of "Node" system where you can fast travel to other systems after building a warp drive of some kind. It really does suck not being able to explore.

EDIT: Also, they added Rocket tubes and Gatling turrets to large ships, so enjoy.

Edited by Fred_the_Destroyer

@ Kowgan - How would someone get in on this with you guys :) - its a fun game, but kinda missing someone to play it with.

Must be nice being able to use small ship drills without massive lag spikes across the clients (with 3-6 folk connected we noticed massive lag spikes when somebody used the drills).
We've had to resort to hand mining, has resulted in a couple of ships being built in the save some of us have been playing on.
Bathtub (BT) Mk. III: http://imgur.com/a/zNB0f#5
Specs: 

Mass: 325,070kg unloaded.
Height: 22m
Width: 7m

Height: 4m

Cargo Capacity: 576,000L (36 small large ship containers)

2 x Refineries

1 x Large Ship Ore Detector a.k.a Fuel Guzzler

Power plant: 2 x Small reactors, 1 Gyroscope, 1 x gravity generator.

Engines: 4 small forward, 2 small reverse, 4 small vertical, 4 small horizontal

Red painted ships are queued for dismantling above "the pit", component parts fall into a room in the asteroid and be dismantled or stored away, now no longer will some poor sap have to sort the stuff as it falls as it's all automated thanks to the recent patch. Some random screens taking around the bowels of the station: http://imgur.com/a/bBp1M

With the recent introduction of collectors, connectors, conveyors and the piping I've begun work on the new Mk. X: http://imgur.com/a/CioTO

Aft and Mid compartments have been laid down. Vertical and Forward/Reverse engines need adding as well as the bow compartment.

Improvements from Mk. III:

Signal beacon

2 x gravity generator, improved control of mining environment over the Mk. III.

Automated loading and off loading of cargo via collectors and connectors while retaining internal access to cargo.

Improved horizontal vertical maneuverability.

Ship to Ship refueling capabilities.

My biggest gripe to date: Where're my sodding ladders?!

Edited by ToadBall

@ Kowgan - How would someone get in on this with you guys :smile: - its a fun game, but kinda missing someone to play it with.

Add Kowgan on Steam (A2 Soldier avatar), or find Adrian/Nametag on TS. :)

Toadball, nice pics. Also, agree: I miss the ladders.

Someone make a dedicated server please! Because you can do that now. Give the engineers a persistant home! They like to stay in herds in continuous timelines.

There has been a server up since last night, but Steam/Friends/Group invitations for this are tedious at best.

Join the UO Steam group and let me know if you can connect. It has been working fine for me, but yeah, that does not help others.

Do not destroy/demolish the existing works if able.

There has been a server up since last night, but Steam/Friends/Group invitations for this are tedious at best.

Join the UO Steam group and let me know if you can connect. It has been working fine for me, but yeah, that does not help others.

Do not destroy/demolish the existing works if able.

I get either "Authorization Failure" or "Steam Server Offline" when trying to connect.