Sign in to follow this  
Impulse 9

Charter 1.1 Modification

Charter 1.1 Modification  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Charter 1.1 Modification Changes.

• Yes
    • No

1.1 - Maturity, Friendship, Fun, Professionalism, Respect, Cooperation, Teamwork and Courtesy are the core virtues in our community.

Changed to:

1.1 -Maturity, Friendship, Professionalism, Respect, Cooperation, Teamwork and Courtesy are the core virtues in our community.

It should be apparent that the fun we have at this tactical gaming community should be derived from those exact values as listed above. It is a minor change but way too often in the past has the word "fun" been used to justify or excuse actions that are at odds with or borderline breaking our SOP and rules. This small change will hopefully help avoid such defense in the future while clarifying that these are above all the values of our community and it is on these values and principles we base our mentality on which we approach our gaming sessions with.

This poll requires a 3/4 Vote and 2 Weeks.

My name is J.B. and I approve of this poll that I put up. I hate fun. 
Yes.

The "Fun" in our Charter is constantly misinterpreted as an attenuation of the community values preceded and followed by it.

Eliminating Fun in any shape or form (from the charter) will greatly benefit it's message and our community.

Voting Yes!

I say this only in jest:

No fun is allowed in United Operations.

Won't stop people from using the "it's only a game" defense but I applaud that you guys are trying to cut down at least some of the arguments.

Fun is inferred within the already listed core values. Removing the word "fun" can only lead to the intent of the OP and not anything negative, so I see nothing wrong with this change.

Surely "Fun obtained through tactical and/or simulation game-play is a key virtue of the community" would be more fitting, that way it tells you what the community finds fun, as opposed to implying it.      

Edited by Corax

"Just having fun" is too often used as an excuse. Our charter defines what fun is without using the word.  Remove the word and it is less confusing.

When Toronto's Debra Pepler wanted to get a detailed glimpse into the world of bullies, she planted a video camera in schools and trained it on the playground, where the kids were monitored by remote microphones. In 52 hours of tape, Pepler, of York University, documented over 400 episodes of bullying, from brushes of mild teasing to 37 solid minutes of kicking and punching. The average episode, however, lasted 37 seconds. Teachers noticed and intervened in only one out of 25 episodes. The child in the 37-minute incident, says Pepler, is repeatedly kicked and thrown around by two kids (although in the vast majority of instances, bullying is one-on-one). "What's so strange to me is that he stays in it. There are lots of opportunities for him to get away. At one point a teacher even tries to break it up, and all three of them say, 'Oh no, we're just having fun.' "

I've voted Yes, but I believe what Corax has said would be the best approach. 

If you don't have fun playing according to the listed values then UO probably isn't the right place for you. Voting yes.

Surely "Fun obtained through tactical and/or simulation game-play is a key virtue of the community" would be more fitting, that way it tells you what the community finds fun, as opposed to implying it.      

Voted yes as it is misused. Actually defining it like above would be a better choice, though.

My name is J.B. and I approve of this poll that I put up. I hate fun. 

Yes.

Sounds legitimate Danish to me. Voting Yes.

Voting yes, not only because it can be misinterpreted, but because "fun" is not a virtue at all.

"Fun" relates to a silly and fruitless kind of enjoyment. If anything was to be used at all, it would be the term "joy". But it could also be misused.

Edited by W-Cephei

You know what? I'm against this. I think this community should be about bringing a fun, tactical, and military simulation experience that other communities don't offer. The idea of fun is what keeps me coming back. Why would I come back if it's no fun? I'm not saying we should promise fun, but I think we should strive towards it. Without fun we might as well not show up. I don't come here because I want to join the face army, I come here because I have friends like Mastec, Mark, and Kingslayer that give me a sense of belonging. Because of they I have fun. If you aren't having fun then why are you here.

You know what? I'm against this. I think this community should be about bringing a fun, tactical, and military simulation experience that other communities don't offer. The idea of fun is what keeps me coming back. Why would I come back if it's no fun? I'm not saying we should promise fun, but I think we should strive towards it. Without fun we might as well not show up. I don't come here because I want to join the face army, I come here because I have friends like Mastec, Mark, and Kingslayer that give me a sense of belonging. Because of they I have fun. If you aren't having fun then why are you here.

The point is that you derive fun from playing the game tactically, not fun from doing whatever the hell you want like derping.

Yes. The fun we get is through playing the game tactically and treating it as a simulation. The problem is that now, people use the "Fun" part of 1.1 to justify any action they do.