Sign in to follow this  
jubxxxjub

[Discussion] Arma 2 reaching its end.

This thread serves two purposes. 

How much space do we have left on the disk?

Who wants to start adding things back? 

P.S: Apparently the Nimitz that was ported for arma 3. Someone backported it(just copied and pasted the A3 version) and it works now. ALSO F-18s!

This thread is now about arma 3.

When should we be expected to move.

What mods/islands should we move with.

Should we try to get the BTE set up prior to the transition?

Who let the dogs out?

That's all I've got on the topic.

Edited by jubxxxjub

The thread title is greatly misleading. I got the impression this was a discussion on making the shift from A2 to A3 and not an addon topic.

You made me all excited for nothing jub. I thought we were finally having a discussion about A3.

I suppose I could change the OP, and we can actually have discussion. 

Edit: this thread from this point on is about A3.

Edited by jubxxxjub

I think I get what Jub is saying, that we should start having a serious discussion about developing a formal A3 modpack, ACE be damned.

A3 is a fantastic game that I have very little interest in playing at the moment, due to its included weapon/vehicle/faction setup. A big part of why I like A2 is that we can simulate conflict from a bunch of different eras in recent history, I'd really like to be able to continue doing that in A3.

A3 is a fantastic game that I have very little interest in playing at the moment, due to its included weapon/vehicle/faction setup. A big part of why I like A2 is that we can simulate conflict from a bunch of different eras in recent history, I'd really like to be able to continue doing that in A3.

There is a massive horde of us who think this .... we are waiting .... ready to pounce.

I almost completely agree with you. I played A3 on the UO servers for the first time last week and it was a great experience. 

In my opinion A3 is vastly superior to A2 in virtually every single way but it lacks community made content. If we waited for A3 to give us the capability to simulate conflict from many different eras of history we possibly may not switch to A3 for a year and a half. I firmly believe that we will eventually be able to simulate those conflicts in A3 but waiting for all of that content to appear could severely damage UO's player base. My understanding is that most of the community does not want to make the switch to A3 until ACRE2 and the new ACE arrive. Although we don't really have a time frame as to when those two crucial mods will be available I am hoping that it will be sometime this year. In the meantime other content creators will continue working on current/past era factions and weapons that will hopefully be ready for our modpack by the time ACRE 2 and ACE arrive. 

I would personally be OK with making the switch before ACE/ACRE2 as long as we have enough factions, weapons, and maps to keep the gameplay interesting. I am worried that we simply won't see enough of that content by the end of the year.

Edited by Sickly

I would personally be OK with making the switch before ACE/ACRE2 as long as we have enough factions, weapons, and maps to keep the gameplay interesting. I am worried that we simply won't see enough of that content by the end of the year.

Completely agree with this.

Not soon.

Needs a serious overhaul. The game wasn't finished when it was released. I'm unhappy with it. It has some cool features, but needs some serious work before we can consider it.

The default content that came up with the game is literally retarded.

As soon as ACE comes out, I'll be all over this shit though.

We don't really need to make a "jump" per se. We can continue to support both games. A2 will die a natural death in time like A1. 

The gear/weapons/units don't bother me. The lack of missions do. It seems every time I look at the guys playing A3 it's the same guys in the same slots playing Annex. I've been considering making stuff for A3 but I'm not even that good at A2 missions.

Also agree. About the only time I've opened arma 3 recently is to play around with Iron Front in arma 3, which is quite cool.

I like Arma 3, and I am enjoying it.

Have to agree with Boon, in time A2 will die a slow natural death, and when the majority of the community is playiing A3, there will still probably be some people playing A2 until Impulse decides to lay the A2 server to rest I would guess.

The real influence in shifting more people to A3 will be when ACE is released. I'd say once that is done, then the community will really be open to what maps we will include in our mod pack, as well as what units, weapons, vehicles and so on., and people will probably be more motivated with mission making.

Until something similar to ACE and current time units are released, I don't have enough interest to change to it. 

I will play sporadic missions now and then, but I'll stick to A2.

All A3 missions have the same feel to me, which gets old. With A2, our mod pack and current units, it's always something different. When A2's time has come, I will be happy to depart. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the vast array of options we have before us.

Theres a lot of content being ported/created for A3. Whether its the content we want to play with at UO is a matter of discussion, but as it is, the only I see people really bringing up concerns with is the mass of content we already have with Arma 2. It'll get there with A3 eventually, where we will have a plethora of addons and another 7GB addon pack download. Don't worry guys. It will come.

Like it was said, ARMA 2 will die a natural death why not support both games? All we would do is hamper the number of players we have. 

Also like was said, content is being made and ported and we should do something about making a proper stable mod-pack. 

Another thing I think many people don't consider is many people, myself included don't have a tip top machine to run Arma 3 well, let alone with 40 players running around and some AI. I'm not talking on high, I mean stable, part of that is the game but part is the hardware. A reason I think we have so many players is for the most part Arma 2 is not an incredible graphics/ need a death machine to run type game. If we "move" too fast, before people naturally update their computers. (Which I have noticed many people are doing right around now, every 4-6 years most people I know like rebuilding a new rig.) We can negate that.

Because as it sits, is it playable? Yes! 

Is it fun? Debatable, alot of the content runs together for me. Some of those "dynamic" sandbox missions with a Game master and even an assistant GM was and remains to be the best time I have had in Arma 3. 

Seeing as I'm one of the handful of Reg's who play ArmA 3 regularly at the moment and have some insight into things. I'll answer what I can to help clear up some misconceptions here.

...developing a formal A3 modpack...

This is already in-progress, Impulse had some issues with his key creation until recently which actually worked out for us. If you have a look at Toadball's A3 development thread you can see some of the potential items that are going to be included to help with the content available in ArmA 3 to offer some additional diversity. A group of us have also been looking at other A3 mods but so far none really meet a good criteria, as most A2 ports are utter shite in terms of quality and configs, whilst others are still WIP with constant updates which we cannot facilitate in the modpack (BWMod, Realistic Vehicle Configs as two examples of this).

The default content that came up with the game is literally retarded.

As soon as ACE comes out, I'll be all over this shit though.

The default content was not the best but the recent additions have helped it a good deal, there is still some cross faction equipment but the INDFOR are the best alternative at the moment as most missions use them. Also, don't hold your breath for ACE as unlike past incarnations in ArmA 1 and 2. ACE is being redeveloped for ArmA 3, which means that it may possibly not be out for sometime.

The gear/weapons/units don't bother me. The lack of missions do. It seems every time I look at the guys playing A3 it's the same guys in the same slots playing Annex. I've been considering making stuff for A3 but I'm not even that good at A2 missions.

Yeah, this has been an issue. We've only got a short handful that make missions, Emerald's missions are terrible which is why they ignored largely. Our standard practice is to play InA for our seeding on Friday's then try to transfer over to Tin's/Herbiee's short list of missions. However, the minimum for a decent mission is 20. And recently we've not been hitting that number until later on which is why it seems we only play InA. Which is not a bad mission in itself, Toadball and Vking have put a lot of effort into it to make it even more suitable for UO and to diversify what it does.

To round it off, I personally see we have a good base to start with in ArmA 3 at the moment. Our games, when compared to ArmA 2 are more organised as we have a better veteran to new player ratio. We're also more aware now that we have to step up quality control by removing disruptive players (Which we have yet to need to do), and help newer players get into UO's style of organised play. Our smaller numbers at the moment allow us to do this, but my fear is that we may lose that veteran to new player ratio if we were to have a flood from the ArmA 2 primary and things would begin to slide just as they did with ArmA 2. I understand that ArmA 3 does not suit everyones taste, but we cannot cater to those who want to use that as the soul reason to not want ArmA 3. I would like to try and encourage people to atleast try ArmA 3 on one of the Friday night gatherings to get an idea of what its state is before making any judgements or suggestions, otherwise you may miss what the reality is.

On other notes, at the moment UOTC still does not support ArmA 3 and obviously a good deal of players still enjoy ArmA 2. So there's no need to force people over, especially when this may damage what already exists on ArmA 3.

Edited by Deathstrike

Arma 2 is going to be favored for a long time -- at least until ACE for Arma 3 is released. I had removed Arma 3 from my SSD a while back. Arma 3 currently lacks immersion, which can be created with Arma 2. I made an attempt on making a missions for Arma 3, but stopped as soon as I started. I'm not interested in futuristic units and vehicles, which all look very similar.

I would consider installing Arma 3, if our modpack had:

* Islands either ported from Arma 2 or ones that offer more variety than just Mediterranean theater.

* Units, weapons, equipment, vehicles either ported from Arma 2, or ones that were taken from modern times.

I agree that Arma 3 has brought many great changes and improvements, however at this time I will stick with Arma 2. I will probably definitely make a official switch to Arma 3, when more content is available for mission makers to play with and when ACE3 finally arrives. You can then expect new missions to come.

Deathstrike is pretty spot-on with the current state of things.

The modpack as it stands right now is intentionally small. We're being extremely selective with mods, and anything that we do implement has to be gone over with a fine-toothed comb, potentially be made compatible (things like disposable launchers), checked for quality and all that stuff. This all takes time. This is also the reason we haven't shoved one of the 'Specops Weapons Packs!' that are all over Armaholic into the pack, they're low quality garbage. Similarly, there aren't 3 gigs of ARMA2 maps because it's probably better in the long run to be patient and wait for ARMA3-made content rather than a straight port of ARMA2 content.

For missions, both Toadball and myself have produced pretty solid mission frameworks, and a few people are creating missions as fast as we're able, but once again, it's not that many folks doing it. Content is coming, but not at a super fast pace.

Really though, unless you're planning to be disruptive, show up around 1900z on a Friday and play a little bit. It's fun! Just remember, G is not Gear, anymore.

Just so everyone is clear, there is no fucking way in hell I am going to make A2 a prerequisite to play A3, nor @AiA or @A3MP. (Both of which increase base requirements to over 4gb+ of files in memory.)

We will wait for landmasses to be added naturally and not port old landmasses into the new engine, unless they are supported in a standalone fashion.

Our modpack will not be added to without regard for compatibility or expansion. The units and Addons that we are adding now are things that we work with internally, or basic features that have been found to make gameplay tolerable.

Just so we are clear, I will not be adding xyz reskin units, nor gimmicks into the pack which we will either abandon or replace with ACE in the future.