Impulse 9

Removal of Dylan

Remove Dylan as a Regular?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Dylan as a Regular?

• Yes
    • No

With the present changes to UO and the position of a Regular, I feel it is time to remove individuals that lack the ability to follow the simple goals of a Regular outlined in 1.7 of our very own charter

The individual in question today is Dylan. Charter 1.7 states: "Regulars being the core of the community embody and support by way of discussion, and promotion of the Charter and the SOPs of the community."

Dylan lacks the simple understanding that his actions as a Regular fall back and represent this community. During his brief time within UOTC Dylan wrote a script for an introduction video, the first line of this script consisted of a few words that, if released to the public as an advertisement, would undermine what we stand for as a community:

“In this video we will be going over the basics of Arma 2 and our community, what to expect, and how to play tactically or something”

While small in and of itself, this video was to be the first thing new players would see when joining our community, and it was a violation of 1.1 “maturity, professionalism,” our very own core values.

Less than a week after this occurred Dylan was involved in the creation of a video intro not just for the UOTC's videos but one that was being created for the United Operations YouTube account. Dylan in his position was given the simple rule of not releasing any documents or materials to the public until it was either in a ready state or approved by a UOTC officer. Dylan released these videos to the regular demographic against instructions, despite knowing the intention was to release the videos, after a few minor changes, at the UOTC public conference.

Dylan over the last year has been in constant talks with the Public Relations office over his YouTube channel which features videos displaying players borderline breaking the rules and completely breaking 1.4 within our charter “Tactical and Simulation gaming, and the application of these concepts is the intent of this community.”

Dylan fails to see the negative impact this has on the community and the players we intend to attract. This in a nutshell undermines our community and our charter.

Dylan has a lack of respect for this community and its player base, he does little to nothing for this community and his effect in areas that are important to our community are more negative than positive.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to consider his removal.

This poll requires a 2/3 Vote and 2 Weeks.

Dylan's videos, although comical, certainly can display what I can only call "having fun" at UO, and he seems to have made a series of videos referring to the contents as an "average day in Arma 2". Dylan has created a disclaimer in the description of all these videos announcing that these occurrences are rare and do not represent an "average day".  The other instances regarding UO/UOTC media material also show lack of maturity and seriousness. I will not deny this even though I like Dylan when it comes down to him as a person. The OP has also stated that the videos display near rule-breaking content, which implies that the videos do not, in fact, display any footage of SOP's being broken. However, prior to this, the OP re-states 1.7 in how a regular should support and promote the SOP's and charter. If none of his videos are actually displaying rules being broken, how is this a valid argument?

I would vote no.

edit - The line which is crossed out was regarding an issue which which was clarified after speaking with Dylan.

Edited by Gabee

Yes. Dylan in my opinion is one of the worst regulars when it comes to presenting the mentality and attitude I want in a community representative. While I have had good sessions with dylan in game, they do not out weigh what I believe is someone who represents what I think is wrong with UO. This opinion is not new to him as I have told him before. So this is not just an opportunity to take a stab at him, he has been made aware of this in skype before. Removing individuals like dylan who do not represent what the majority of regulars want (example: BTE) is an initial step to fixing things. I believe he was going to be gone anyway when the grace period for donating is over based on his comments but that may have changed. 

Yes. Dylan in my opinion is one of the worst regulars when it comes to presenting the mentality and attitude I want in a community representative. While I have had good sessions with dylan in game, they do not out weigh what I believe is someone who represents what I think is wrong with UO. This opinion is not new to him as I have told him before. So this is not just an opportunity to take a stab at him, he has been made aware of this in skype before. Removing individuals like dylan who do not represent what the majority of regulars want (example: BTE) is an initial step to fixing things. I believe he was going to be gone anyway when the grace period for donating is over based on his comments but that may have changed. 

Voted no. 

It is amazing that this is reasoning for removing a Regular. He doesn't share your opinion on how to move forward. So no one should oppose a popular opinion? I don't understand this at all.

Removing individuals like dylan who do not represent what the majority of regulars want (example: BTE) is an initial step to fixing things.

If only the majority remains, voting becomes quite redundant.

Voted no. 

It is amazing that this is reasoning for removing a Regular. He doesn't share your opinion on how to move forward. So no one should oppose a popular opinion? I don't understand this at all.

Well then you don't understand how the community works. As a regular I want to help guide the community in a certain direction, sometimes called opinion. People I feel do not help this community I will vote to remove. This is called my opinion. What you basically said is I am not allowed to vote yes because I feel he is a bad regular. Yeah, doesn't make sense to me. 

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read my response. Obviously, I disagree with the removal of myself from regularship here at UO. I've dedicated close to 3 years of my time and energy to this place and I'd like to stay and enjoy it here. I've interacted with almost all of you, if not all of you, whether in game or on TeamSpeak. I've made my opinions clear both here on the forums and in discussions on TeamSpeak. I'm not afraid of taking shots or giving them, and I respect everyone in this community despite any political or personal disagreements we may face. When it comes down to it, there's not other group of guys or gals I'd rather play with then all of you. Unfortunately, this poll isn't about me as a regular, or me breaking charter violations, but rather an attack on me personally through misguided and false information.

Let's start off with the first accusation by the OP for my removal:

Dylan lacks the simple understanding that his actions as a Regular fall back and represent this community. During his brief time within UOTC Dylan wrote a script for an introduction video, the first line of this script consisted of a few words that, if released to the public as an advertisement, would undermine what we stand for as a community:

"In this video we will be going over the basics of Arma 2 and our community, what to expect, and how to play tactically or something"

I volunteered, along with Yugoslav, to create an effective and short introduction to the community as well as a series of YouTube videos in an attempt to overhaul UOTC and make it more noob-friendly. The goal here was to make very targeted, specific videos about certain topics (how to use a radio, basic squad formations, how to use ACRE interact etc.).

Over the course of a few days, myself and Yugoslav referenced the UO Charter as well as the excellent Getting Started Guide and essentially paraphrased and boiled down the two into three separate videos covering what UO is about, how to use ACRE, and a basic outline of ACE features. It was a great start. It was also the first draft of the script.

The OP mentioned a specific line, "In this video we will be going over the basics of Arma 2 and our community, what to expect, and how to play tactically or something." Unfortunately the OP doesn't understand that "play tactically or something" was underlined in the document and needed to be replaced. The OP also doesn't understand that this was a rough draft of the document and therefore needed several iterations and fine tuning. In fact, I remember this conversation with Yugoslav specifically. We needed a word there that represented what the community is about, and I thought tactical wasn't good enough. As a way to remind myself, I wrote, "play tactically or something" and underlined it so I would remember to change that later down the line. Yugo can attest to this.

In fact, here's a screenshot of the words in question along with the underline:

If anyone is interested would like a full copy of the script, PM and I'll supply it for you. Yugoslav and myself were quite proud of the work we put in.

Less than a week after this occurred Dylan was involved in the creation of a video intro not just for the UOTC's videos but one that was being created for the United Operations YouTube account. Dylan in his position was given the simple rule of not releasing any documents or materials to the public until it was either in a ready state or approved by a UOTC officer. Dylan release these videos to the regular demographic against instructions, despite knowing the intention was to release the videos, after a few minor changes, at the UOTC public conference.

I had one or two meetings with Haribo and Yugo where we discussed what was going on and how we're going to move on with the project. The only mention of this strict NDA that apparently I missed out on, was that all content needs to go through Haribo to be approved before being made and submitted. I received no word that I couldn't share information, or documents that I wrote, or collaborative intros.

To give a quick overview, I approaches a user (Chariot) about designing a quick intro for the UOTC media group in use for our videos. The intro was not to be used for all UO YouTube videos. We talked a good amount through PM and he produced some amazing stuff (he worked for DICE on the BC2 intro).

He requested several times that I share the intro with the community, and I posted in the UOTC Media Group forums that I would attempt to get the community involved. Seeing a great opportunity to help Chariot and fulfill the project's goals, I shared the WIP intro on the Regular only Skype chat and got some opinions. I relayed that to Chariot via PM and all was well.

I was not aware that I was under an NDA for all content. I was never directly informed that I could not share content. I was told that I couldn't officially release any content without review from Haribo, nothing more and nothing less. This was blown way out of proportion and I took the resignation and that's the end of it.

This issue has no grounds for removal and I broke no Charter rules.

Here are some screenshots from my chats with Chariot where he requests community opinion:

Dylan over the last year has been in constant talks with the Public Relations office over his YouTube channel which features videos displaying players borderline breaking the rules and completely breaking 1.4 within our charter "Tactical and Simulation gaming, and the application of these concepts is the intent of this community."

Dylan fails to see the negative impact this has on the community and the players we intent to attract. This in a nutshell undermines our community and our charter.

This issue is gone and over. I have talked with not only Impulse about this issue, but azzwort as well. These videos are meant to be sarcastic and ironic. They are not meant to be taken literally.

The idea that a video, with a few hundred views, is detrimental to our community image and undermines the charter is absolutely balls crazy.

I have talked with Impulse, I have had PM conversations with azzwort, and I have made concessions on my part. I have put a disclaimer in the playlist description as well as the video descriptions. I have promised an edited outro (haven't made any videos super recently so it isn't there yet!).  My channel is my channel. It is my content. They are not on the official UO page. They have no influence on everyday actions on the server. They are funny sarcastic videos during downtime or waiting made up of seconds or minutes of an hour long mission.

Here's the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD79A7A89A0938C2E&feature=mh_lolz

Here's one of the videos. Please note that this was during the end of the mission waiting for the end trigger to work. There were several regulars present, and I was not a regular at the time of filming:http://tinyurl.com/o6wqjej

Please note the descriptions for each.

The amount of videos I have of regulars "derping" like in these videos is immense. When people are bored during downtime, they have fun.

Dylan has a lack of respect for this community and its player base, he does little to nothing for this community and his effect in areas that are important to our community are more negative than positive

The idea that I do nothing for this community and don't respect it is ridiculous. I love it here and I give everything I can to it. I have tried in every way to promote video content at UO. I have participated in a ton of official and unofficial projects (most don't work out unfortunately) and I spearheaded a UO Year in Review two years ago.

This is not a justified poll. I have breached no charter violations. The OP is a personal opinion mixed with hearsay and false information.

I hope I've pleaded my case to you. Sorry for the long response, but I needed a lot of room. I'll see you guys on the server, whether this poll passes or not.

TL;DR FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE:

The script was a rough draft that had not been proof read or finished. It was not a final product.

I broke no charter rules when I shared UOTC Media Group footage. It was a minor misunderstanding and I took the resignation without issue.

The videos have been sorted and concessions have been made. I have spoken to Impulse and PM'd azzwort months ago about the issue and resolved it the best of my ability.

Voted no. This seems to be a very weak poll that seems to rely on half truths to justify its existence.

I remember being approached by Yugoslav in regards to the video, with him asking me to do some voiceover work for the video. Though it didn't pan out I did get to look at the script and myself questioned Yugo over the line " how to play tactically or something." I was told that they were still drafting the script and looking for a better phrase. I never got the impression that this was their final submission and, as far as I remember, I gave them a couple of suggestions for a replacement phrase.

As for Dylan's youtube channel, again the OP leaves out information in an effort to strengthen their case. Dylan's channel has a few "average day in Arma" videos showcasing the odd silly event or broken mission. Not the best advert for UO I grant you, yet as he points out himself they have only a few hundred views, hardly some vast threat to the image of UO.

Most crucially, it must be pointed out that Dylan has not posted an "average day in Arma" video since September 1st last year. The only arma related video after that is a recent one showing Mark blowing up some tanks in Bergen heights and is perfectly innocuous. If, for the sake of the argument then, we assume the videos are having a negative impact, one wonders why the OP did not take action at the time the videos were posted, instead of waiting nearly 5 months after the last one. It seems particularly disingenuous when using this as a reason for removal that said regular has not performed said action in months.

As for any issues with the UOTC, that seems to be a minor scuffle over a misunderstanding and hardly some serious breach of protocol that requires removal. If it was such an issue one wonders why action was not taken at the time rather than waiting till now, where it has been attached to 2 other spurious and weak reasons, one the first draft of a script and the other an activity that Dylan has not done in months.

Frankly it damages my faith in the regular base and this community in general that such a weak poll can garner so many yes votes. Rather than objectively look at the evidence it seems many regulars are more willing to settle petty personal differences.

Dylan, for what ever reason you and I have not gotten along.  I can only assume its mutual for you from the time you and a few others barged into my channel and started chanting "fight, fight"  Now getting into a fight with you would definitely dropped me down to that childish level.  All I could think was I back on the elementary school playground?

As for what your being accused from I will address them in the order of the OP.  For your 1.7 accusation I have been witness to this myself.  A good case in point would be the playground behavior mentioned above.  It’s not what I would call as being shown any level of Maturity, Respect or Courtesy.  We don't have to be friends but I would expect at least these as that is what I give you.  Another instance is your actions after the Red Effects Event.  From your actions on the server, to the way you attacked the PRO department because you were mad that you sat around for 5 hours, to your video you produced after.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX56YK3demY

For the breach of his NDA with the UOTC Media, we should hear what Haribo has to say.  Dylan obviously at no point thought Haribo was in charge of that project and he clearly over stepped his position. You only changed your stance after Impulse said that its Haribo's Department and that you need to "unf**k yourself"

s8Qziyw.jpg

As for the remainder of your videos, the series, Average Day in Arma2.  While yes they are your own content and you’re free to do with it as you wish.  Your addition of the disclaimer does not abolish the fact these videos undermine the core values of this community that you should be promoting as a Regular.  Let’s be honest with ourselves.  Who actually reads the “About” portion of a Youtube video?  As I am looking at it, Youtube does not show more than 2 lines before you need to click the “Show more” area.  It’s only then that you see the disclaimer.  Not what I would call an obvious disclaimer and most likely skipped by many.

And to clarify the video that you called out in your response, may have been filmed prior to you becoming a Regular, it surely was post while you were a Regular.

This is obviously a Yes from me.

Was going to vote no as I didn't think the poll was very convincing.

But .. seriously? Ok.

Yes.

That's an unlisted video. It might be completely stupid, but the only people who are damaging UOs rep are the people posting it and quoting the link to it. Otherwise it'd would be something that was totally forgotten and not accessible to those coming to UO. 

That's an unlisted video. It might be completely stupid, but the only people who are damaging UOs rep are the people posting it and quoting the link to it. Otherwise it'd would be something that was totally forgotten and not accessible to those coming to UO. 

I think it points to the members mentality and attitude. You seem to think because it was hidden it does not matter. The point of us voting in regulars is to vote in people who we feel would contribute to the community and help in its guidance. The point in removing them is when we feel he no longer is a good representative of UO. All these other false requirements people are throwing in is moot. There is two basic outcomes. Either people think Dylan is a good representative of UO or not. You cannot discount the whole person concept. 

Not reposting video link.

You guys know that that was Albatross, right?

Edited by Fighter

Not all evidence is cleanly packaged with a bow.  I am assuming that video will be taken down shortly anyway.  It was originally posted to the entire Regular community via skype. 

The video does present itself to his presence of mind.  To have taken the raw recording, to have edited it as he did is by no means a spur of the moment thing.  It is a deliberate action that takes planning and thinking.

Edited by kalohepirate

I think it points to the members mentality and attitude. You seem to think because it was hidden it does not matter. The point of us voting in regulars is to vote in people who we feel would contribute to the community and help in its guidance. The point in removing them is when we feel he no longer is a good representative of UO. All these other false requirements people are throwing in is moot. There is two basic outcomes. Either people think Dylan is a good representative of UO or not. You cannot discount the whole person concept. 

It's private. What people do in private is not your fucking business. What matters is how they conduct themselves in public.

I guess you may not like how Dylan conducts himself in public, but it would at least help your argument and OPs argument if some actual current examples were posted. Instead we all get to sit around discussing 5 month old unlisted videos, which actually is a former UOTC officer doing the rap, and nothing current gets a mention. The former UOTC officer does not get targeted for disciplinary action meanwhile, only the person who it is convenient to pillory.

You know if your argument was I don't like him and my personality clashes with him, at least you'd be honest.

It's private. What people do in private is not your fucking business. What matters is how they conduct themselves in public.

I guess you may not like how Dylan conducts himself in public, but it would at least help your argument and OPs argument if some actual current examples were posted. Instead we all get to sit around discussing 5 month old unlisted videos, which actually is a former UOTC officer doing the rap, and nothing current gets a mention. The former UOTC officer does not get targeted for disciplinary action meanwhile, only the person who it is convenient to pillory.

You know if your argument was I don't like him and my personality clashes with him, at least you'd be honest.

lol ok bro, the numbers don't lie. Also he posted the video in public so... yeah. I made my points. Dylan is a bad regular. I said that in my first post and that is why I voted yes. You have your vote I have mine. 

Don't like polls that remove people who are contributing to UO.  Regardless if you agree with everything about the person.

But attempts to trivialize Derp videos (that reference UO)   ... are burying Dylan.

It is no longer private the moment he published the link on Skype. 

It is no longer private the moment he published the link on Skype. 

It still is private, as kingslayer said no one can find it on google or youtube. And now anyone can find it on the forums because you made it public.

Edited by Korupt_Virus

My understanding is that the video was posted in UO Regular Skype...

That's internal because, unless things have changed since my time, only Regulars are present in there?

It still is private, as kingslayer said no one can find it on google or youtube. And now anyone can find it on the forums because you made it public.

Your attempt to twist this is noted.  The video is unlisted.  Youtube clearly explains and warns that an unlisted video can always be reposted and show up anywhere on the internet.  The moment that video was posted in Skype, any assumption of privacy is out the door. 

They have a private video setting that prevents this.

Edited by kalohepirate