DRAGONOFTRUTH

DRAGONOFTRUTH Test

(The reason "Test" is included at the top is because I was receiving a weird error saying I had links. This is the original simply copy pasted. )

Hello all,

I was recommended here by a friend , (Swoooooooosh- There may be an extra "o" there but you get the point).

I have mostly played on Anzu's War Games' servers which usually run "Hohei EVO Blue" or "Hohei EVO Red". If you are not familiar with these missions they are basically Coop capture the towns from the AI opposition. If blue then you are playing as Marines freeing OPFOR held towns and the opposite for Red. Anzu's servers are on ArmA 2 and have exceptionally high ping and player count.

Now enough unpaid advertising and a bit about me, I got ArmA 2 Complete collection way back on some sale for the purpose of DayZ. I grew out of DayZ and started getting into the actual military sim that I bought. I have since fallen in love with it. I don't have a specific skill set as I am proficient in most areas and I am willing to prove it if need be. I have mostly played solo or with a another person as a fire-team duo but I long for an organized team, each member having a specific role and duty and everyone doing what they are supposed to be doing.

There was no real, "Outline" as to how you form your introductions so I will go through my skills with as much honesty as possible.

Skill set

-Infantry

*Sniper - My most played "class" as the players in AWG servers are mostly lone wolves... (hence why I am craving this community) -9/10 With Blufor, 3/10 W/ Opfor (Learning)

*Machine-gunner - Learning how to conserve my ammo more effectively and position, position, position. -6/10 (Same for both Factions)

*Rifleman - The ACOG bothers me, but other than that I can land hits on target. I find OPFOR weapons having a bit too much recoil for not enough power but I can work with AK107's - 7/10

*AT - With everything other than an M136 ~70% Hit on targets. 7/10

*AA - Have never played as one, willing to learn more. Usually just set up a .50 Cal MG and start firing. 2/10

-Land/Sea Vehicles

*Armor - I have done solo clearing of towns with Abrams and Tusks, and have commanded, gunned and driven with experienced player crews (I can give out / take accurate bearings on enemy targets). I can commander an AI tank fairly easily as well. -8/10

*APC - Pretty much the same as tanks but with a bit less practice. -7/10

*Light Vehicles - Been there done that. -7/10

-Air - Choppers

*Chopper Pilot (Transport) - I can fly fairly decently keeping low altitude (Done ~250 at 3m with AH-1 and MH60S) and can understand gunner bearing and can use flares while piloting. - 9/10

*Chopper Gunner (Transport) - I cannot hit targets if the chopper is moving above 50mph but other than that I am pretty accurate with both the miniguns as well as the M240s. - 5/10

*Chopper Pilot (Attack) - I can perform gun runs and tight evasive maneuvers as well as concentrated CAS. - 8/10 (For OPFOR I am still learning all the armaments but I can work with them)

*Chopper Gunner (Attack) - I excel at firing from a "Hover" stance from quite long distances and am decent at attack runs. I know how to lock on and fire hell fire missiles and can work with pilots. - 7/10

-Air -Planes/Jets

*C130 - I can fly over targets and allow the passengers to HALO into the AO and land in most situations. - 9/10

*A10 - Can perform gun runs on targets but unless GBU's are laser locked I am usually off by 100m unless I fly from above and perform a top down attack run. -7/10

*Everything else - I can fly and understand to put up my gears and the minimum speeds for take off and I can land without much difficulty. Can perform CAS with 90% effectiveness. - 8/10

I have not lead a real player squad as of yet but I have worked in fire-teams (Groups of two) and have been able to lead and follow with no difficulties.

As I subtly stated above I want to play with serious players who are willing to work as a team to complete objectives and tasks. I apologize in advance if I sound prideful or conceited as it was not my desire to do so. I have read over the US Charter and the Getting Started Guide and have a few questions:

1) Where is the rest of the information? For me it ends at "Indirect Fire" with a half formatted bunch of words. 

2) Will call-signs be assigned to us before mission ? ( I assume yes, but better to be safe than sorry)

3) Is the artillery used in Indirect Fire player manned? If so, do they just sit there awaiting targets ?

4) When calling Indirect Fire the "SHOT" is clearly when the artillery was shot and "SPLASH" is when it hits the target (assuming it was on target). How does the controller know when it has hit the target? If he/she does not know, is it based on a given time hashed out by the artillery computer before fire and they simply count down? As in, how does this all work?

5) Are missions Team v Team, Coop, OPFOR v BLUFOR, a mix of the two or three or all three ? 

Thanks in advance, looking forward to playing with some of you guys, (still have to download ACE, ACRE ) and apologies for the long post (A bit excited ! )

:laugh:

Edited by DRAGONOFTRUTH

1) Where is the rest of the information? For me it ends at "Indirect Fire" with a half formatted bunch of words. 

2) Will call-signs be assigned to us before mission ? ( I assume yes, but better to be safe than sorry)

3) Is the artillery used in Indirect Fire player manned? If so, do they just sit there awaiting targets ?

4) When calling Indirect Fire the "SHOT" is clearly when the artillery was shot and "SPLASH" is when it hits the target (assuming it was on target). How does the controller know when it has hit the target? If he/she does not know, is it based on a given time hashed out by the artillery computer before fire and they simply count down? As in, how does this all work?

5) Are missions Team v Team, Coop, OPFOR v BLUFOR, a mix of the two or three or all three ? 

1) Read this in full and attend UOTC courses when they become available. Also, read through as many user guides as you can: http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/21010-user-created-guide-index/ this will make finding them easier.

2) I reffer to the first sentence above.

3) Yes it is, don't slot there if you have a short attention span, get bored easily or don't know how to operate the ACE artillery equipment. Couple of videos from the gun line perspective can be found here

4) FDC/Gunline commander calls splash 5s prior to impact. This is determined by the BCS or by the FDC using appropriate range tables and a watch or digital read out where available (M109A6 BCS). Time of flight should be sent to the observing callsign as part of the MTO. For more information regarding IDF procedures see guides or attend the courses when/if they become available.

5) Missions played are a mix of all three, see first sentence answer 1

First of welcome to UO. To answer some of your questions

2, your call sign depends on where you slot, and on the mission.

3, yes it's used, and yes it's manned by people. And yes, when not doing a fire mission they wait for next one. A note here, ace mortars aren't like vanilla mortars, so get familiar with them before slotting mortar gunner.

4, while calculating a fire mission the fdc can make a rough estimate for the time it will take the round to reach the target. He calls SPLASH 5 to 10 seconds before this.

5, we play both co-op and tvts here. You'll have to be more specific when you say "blufor" and "opfor" as there are many countries and militaries that can fall into each, all using different equipment, weapons, uniforms, etc. It's not always just US v Russia.

Also I'd suggest you check out uotc and maybe take a famil course to better understand how we do things here. There was just a course today but another should be planned within a week or so.

Edit: damn phone auto correct

Edited by Macaco

Thanks all, and to ToadBall, the link you provided me is exactly what I am talking about, it cuts off at the end. 

I have finished reading over the Getting Started Guide and the Charter and the Gameplay Guide for beginners and am in the six updater downloading the required mods to play. 

Hey there. Nice to see that you've joined the community. It's only been a few days and I'm having a blast.

Edited by Swooooooosh

There's a stigma about snipers here.... that may drive you crazy and make you want to strangle someone....

Let me tell you a story son...

Many people take sniper to rambo... and then kill everyone... and then get themselves killed... and then annoy everyone because people who are competent with sniping are not allowed to do it because of bad people who are like "BAH BAH BNAH BNAH."

Merry Christmas...