Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper1221

Disabling mouse back and forward buttons in chrome.

Hello everyone.

I use the mouse 4 button (the one on the side) as my push-to-talk key in TS. Unfortunately it is also the back button in Google Chrome. My mouse is a Razer DeathAdder 2012 edition. If anyone knows how to disable the mouse 4 button in just Chrome, please tell me how. I know that i can rebind it to work as a keyboard key, and then set that as my PTT. The problem is that I swear there is not a single key on the keyboard that is not used by Arma 2 + ACE in some way. If anyone knows an unused key, please share.

Thanks in advance

TheReaper1221

I thought i was alone in the struggle. I also have the exact same issues with my mouse (RAT 3) I don't believe it has anything to do with chrome though as many applications that use the back and forwards keys are also are bound to my mouse three and four buttons. 

There is not a single key not used by Arma? What do you use your arrow keys for? Up, down, left, right... and what do you use your number keys for (not the numpad but the ones in the alphanumeric)? The latter are using to deselect units under your command iirc, completely useless. And there are other keys. Like * on the numpad, which I think is free loock toggle - also achievable by double tapping ALT. Lastly, you can use key combinations I'd think? I use Ctrl-D for the GPS for example (M is too far), and Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-E to mute my microphone. Don't even remember which. Anyway, there are so may keys and key combinations not used...

To be fair the only useful keys for PTT are keys you can reach with the thumb or pinkey, since use of any other fingers means you can't talk and move at the same time, so I understand the use of MB4. Best recommendation I can give, as sucky as it is, is to drag your mouse down to the Windows activatity bar at the bottom of the screen whenever you use the PTT when using any internet browser. Tedious, but works.

To be fair the only useful keys for PTT are keys you can reach with the thumb or pinkey, since use of any other fingers means you can't talk and move at the same time, so I understand the use of MB4. Best recommendation I can give, as sucky as it is, is to drag your mouse down to the Windows activatity bar at the bottom of the screen whenever you use the PTT when using any internet browser. Tedious, but works.

Well, but as I had understood he can use his mouse software to bind his mouse button to a keyboard press. Say, "9". Then he goes on to TS and binds "9" as PTT. Now Chrome won't do anything stupid because "9" means nothing to Chrome, and the only disadvantage is that he will hotmic when typing something with 9 in it. But if the mouse software allows for key combinations, just stick Ctrl-9 in there and done deal. The PTT will be handy because it'll be the mouse button, it's just that the system interprets it as a Ctrl-9 press.

Oh, sillytardylicious me didn't quite read that sentence. I blame it for being too short. In that case there indeed are pleeeeenty of keyboard shortcuts to use still, especially when using combined keys.

I had a derp moment as well, as the arrow keys are used by ACE for some of the zeroing. But I still stand for the numbers :D   From the top of my head, I can't remember anything bound to Insert, Delete, Home and End (not on the numpad but the ones above the arrows). Lastly, "=" and "-" you don't need on multiplayer as well, since they are to speed up or down the simulation - something you can only do in single player. If you are playing single player you won't usually use PTT anyway, so they don't conflict.

And so on.

Go to the Mouse Properties and stay on the buttons tab. There is a check box named Enable program-specific settings. Add Chrome to the settings list & disable the left side button. This will only disable the side button for chrome allowing you to use it for other programs. If you are a mac go back to your Starbucks and safari.

I use MOUSE 4 while I'm gaming. I bound another PTT key for when I'm not playing so I can use TS without interfering with my internet browsing.

Go to the Mouse Properties and stay on the buttons tab. There is a check box named Enable program-specific settings. Add Chrome to the settings list & disable the left side button. This will only disable the side button for chrome allowing you to use it for other programs. If you are a mac go back to your Starbucks and safari.

Yeah, i read that on the Google product forums too. The only problem is that the box isn't there for me. idk why. I am using windows 7.

Yeah, i read that on the Google product forums too. The only problem is that the box isn't there for me. idk why. I am using windows 7.

also cant find this inside the buttons tab.

I use left windows key when I play ArmA. It's not bound to anything, and Arma disables it's default function while you're tabbed in so you don't get thrown off to your desktop, it sems. 

I use left windows key when I play ArmA. It's not bound to anything, and Arma disables it's default function while you're tabbed in so you don't get thrown off to your desktop, it sems. 

True that, I use left windows key as ACE interaction. Then, as Overlord said, one can always have a second PTT for when out of Arma.

I'm glad the UK keyboard have that extra "\" key on the left. Perfect PTT right there. I tried putting on the mouse once and didn't like it. In the end I have map and toggle zoom for my extra mouse buttons.