Haribo

UOTC: New Feedback Thread

Name: lester

Course: Fireteam Practical Two

Date: January 22th, 2014

Instructors: Jimbo, Lord Yod

This course takes interaction between squad and fireteam memebers to the next level. It covers such essential techniques as bounding, peeling, breaking contacts.

Members of my fireteam were lucky as most of the session Jimbo himself was our instructor. It came as no surprise that we got detailed and clear instructions, everyone recieved attention and all questions were answered. Also many thanks to Lord who came to us at the end of the session and to assistants of course.

In my case fact that course was pretty intensive is a good thing because of my timezone (UTC+4) - even 19:00z is quite a late.

No doubt leading and issueing orders are important, but key thing in this course for me is to become familiar with aforementioned principles.

I'm looking forward to the next FTP sessions!

Edited by Vladimir

Name: Bodei

Course: FTP2

Date: 2014 Jan 22, 1900z

Great as usual. The fast pace was a little hectic, but I agree that it needs to be. The course is intended to be repeated so it fits in with that philosophy.

One thing I would like (if someone has time) is maybe a "cheat" sheet for the commands for all the maneuvers in FTP so that I could print it out and have in front of me. I love the "learning by doing" aspect of these trainings.

Look forward to repeating and FTP3. It was great fun to see the fireteams become integrated into squad tactics. When bounding forward by fireteam, you realize the power of coordination.

Might be good when practicing breaking contact to go ahead and practice popping smokes as well...just a thought. I know you don't want it to get too complicated.

Edited by Bodei

Name: Nova

Date: 2014 Jan 27

Instructors: Jimbo

What can i say other then great job to Jimbo n company. Ty for the invite and keep rollin.

Name: lester
Course: Fireteam Practical One
Date: January 24th, 2014
Instructors: Cunnah, Jimbo

Sorry for late feedback - it was busy weekend for me.

I really enjoyed this session! There were not so many people so we got more instructor's attention as the result.

Cunnah was a very good instructor and made a great job. He provided very detailed instructions and explanations, augmented by Jimbo were necessary, and verified that everyone in a fireteam got new concepts. Enex and Lord Yod, thank you guys for joining us and for your help and support, that's very much appreciated! 

As it was second time I attended FTP 1, I found myself more confident in doing ORBAT, issuing commands and calling contacts - that's an evidence of the fact that it's neccessary to participate in FTP sessions more than once. There was one thing I still find hard to perform: double tap/dash/find cover and calling contacts at the same time, as the reaction on effective enemy fire. I obviously need more practice to do it properly.

Name: TheReaper1221

Course FTP 1

Date: 26 January 2014

Instructors: enex, Jimbo, Lord Yod

It went really well. I learned a lot. We immediately hopped on the primary after the course and played a TVT with a large portion of the class together in a squad. Things went very smoothly with almost no confusion. We reacted very well when we took fire, and did not lose a single man to enemy fire (though we had some DCs). I recommend that everyone take this course.

Name: Scud.Nor

Course: FTP1

Date: 28th Jan, 2000z

Instructors: Jimbo, Lord Yod, Enex

First time attending an FTP course, and I learned alot of new stuff. Joined a mission on primary afterwards, tac tuesday. I felt alot more confident and I knew more about what I was supposed to be doing. Will work on improving the things ive been taught

I recommend all UO players participate in these classes, UOTC instructors are getting really good.

Edited by Scud.Nor

Name: DukeOfEarl

Course: FTP 1

Date: 28 Jan 2014

Instructor: enex, Jimbo, Lord Yod

I learned good stuff. Was awesome. Really, really good instructors, good pacing, good execution.

Course: FTP 1

Date: 28 Jan 2014

Instructor: enex, Jimbo, Lord Yod

These courses continue to get better and better. No matter how good of a player you think you are, you should take this class. You will learn something useful. If nothing else you will learn the system being taught to fireteams and be aware of the capabilities of FTLs that have had the class. Its really a joy when you see folks working together like a machine to destroy contacts. This teamwork is the reason many of us are part of this community. I have taken this course as a student close to 10 times and it hasn't gotten old yet.

Date: January 30, 2014 1900z
Instructor: Jimbo

It was very interesting but though session for me. Tempo was fast. I realized one more time that leading is hard - not only you have to execute movement techniques properly, but have in mind many other things too: process information from your SL, define orders to be short and clear, decide where will next cover be, confirm that everybody has seen contacts etc... It's great experience but I do understand that I slow the process down. So thank you for your patience guys.

Of course I messed up, for example as an FTL I was supposed to run across open space but understood it wrong and decided to move to the same point along treeline (using it as a cover) - that's why I ran to different direction, but moments later I realized my mistake and returned back to the fireteam.

I have some questions left:

- What should FTL do when he doesn't see the contact under effective enemy fire? Should he shout supposed direction anyway - and thereby possibly confuse other memebers of the fireteam who have discovered real direction to the contact, or wait for their contact report?
- What pace should be used when breaking contacts? Should rush be used by default (seems reasonable to me due to maneuver often performed under effective enemy fire) or it depends on FTL's decision?
- Technical question: after I had been killed during session I lost my weapon (Jimbo told me that it's OK). But after I had noticed my rifle in the inventory again I wasn't able to reload and shoot despite I saw it in my hands and had plenty of magazines. Is that OK or I did something wrong?

And just to confirm that I understand difference between Bounding and Bounding Overwatch correctly (performed by fireteams, buddyteams or individuals depending on command):

Bounding Overwatch - continuous movement from one cover to another
Bounding - one-time movement to the specified position (pace depends on presence of cover, for example: juggling in the open and walking in the trees)

Many thanks to instructor and assistants once again!

Edited by Vladimir

Name: Mixtrate

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical One

Time/Date: January, 31st, 2014 @ 2000Z

Instructor: Enex / Furie / Jimbo

Feedback: Fifth time taking the class and still learning new things! Keep these going. Fireteam operations is getting so much better at UO.

UOTC Course:FTP 1

Time/Date:2014-01-31

Instructor:Enex / Furie / Jimbo

UOTC Course: Familiarization Course 1

Time/Date: 2/2/14

Instructor: BrentP

Feedback: Very cool. Brent was a great teacher, only problem I had was that I only realized at the end that my mic was not working, and no one could hear me the entire time.

So yeah. :/

Name: Mixtrate

UOTC Course: UOTC RTO Course 

Time/Date: February, 2nd , 2014 @ 2200z

Instructor: Macaco/ Gabe / Jimbo

Feedback (Great!): Learned a lot. Used to slot RTO before this course, but after I took this course I feel much more confident in the slot. Learned the correct way of using the different reports. And from now on I'm going to try my best to say FLASH FLASH FLASH instead of break break break. Well done Gabe! You taught me the great use of WAIT OUT!... go search what you need and come back and call it in.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UOTC Course: UOTC Familiarization Course 

Time/Date: February, 3nd , 2014 @ 0000z

Instructor: BrentP / Gabe / Cunnah / Haribo

Feedback (Could Be Improved): Brent taught this course. This was my third time taking this. I think it can be improved a bit compared to others times I've taken it. I think the lack of supervision and the way the course was done this time could be improved on with a bit of practice by the instructors. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time/Date: February, 4th, 2014 @ 1900z

Instructor: Cunnah / Jimbo / Furie / Bodie / Lord Yod 

Feedback (Great!): Lost track of how many times I've done this. Making me a better FTL and a better squad leader when I know what I can expect out of my FTLs if they have taken this.

• Thoughts: I feel like there should be an indication of what FTP level you and some sort of rating based on how many times you've done it (plus an instructor approval of sorts). If the SL knows the FTP level of each of their members I think that can positively impact the squad level operations.
Edited by Mixtrate

Course: Fireteam Practical One
Date: February 4th, 2014 19:00z
Instructors: Jimbo, Cunnah, Bodei

Assistants: Enex, Lord Yod, Furie

I second that - it was a great session. Most of the particiapants had already practiced FTP so coordination between members was really good. It was nice to see Haribo had joined us.
Personally I felt myself more confident in reacting on effective enemy fire - I had problem with that in my previous session. Also this time I wrote down every change in fireteam roles assignment - this helped me a lot with switching between formations and communication within a fireteam.

Thanks to instructors, assistants and participants. Hope to join next FTP sessions!

Name: Tankman

Time: Jan 26, 2000z

Instructors: Enex, Jimbo

Feedback: This is a little late, but then I didn't realize that the thread existed. FTP went very well and it felt great to effectively operate as a unit. 

Course: Familiarization

Time: Feb 3, 0000z

Instructors: BrentP, Cunnah, Gabe, Haribo

Feedback: My first famil course even though I've been playing here for a while now. Served as a pretty good review for everything gained through trial and error and learned some new things. Showing squad formations before practicing Fireteam maneuvers feels a little disorganized. There were some technical issues (BrentP losing connection, Mixtrate's 8-bit experience), but things went well overall. 

The post course chaos doesn't really belong here, but I feel it worthwhile mentioning that I learned more about CQC than anywhere else through the hopeless pistol duels. 

Edited by Tankman45210

Name: Skyenet

Time: Feb 9th, 0400Z (I think)

Excellent and useful as always. I had a great time, learned loads of new things and really felt like we were rather efficient executing what Jimbo taught us. 10/10, would (will) sign up again, and so should you.

Name: DarkFib3r

UOTC Course: UOTC Radio Telephone Operator

Time/Date: Feb 13, 0000z
Instructor: zumorc

Feedback:  An excellent course and an excellent teacher.  The assistants Gabe and Lord Yod were helpful as well and my teammate, Forgle, was top-notch.  Long and at times a little complicated but well worth the effort.  The practical exercise at the end was a lot of fun and it built confidence in using the tools and techniques taught in the course.

Constructive feedback: Parts of the course assume a working knowledge of the major landmarks or Chernarus.  I sometimes found it hard to find these major landmarks because I don't have a lot of familiarity/experience with this map.  Perhaps a high level map could be displayed on a slide or handout that shows some of the major landmarks (like castles, radio towers, etc) being referenced?  This will allow people to find the general area they are in on the map without having to know specifics about Chernarus up-front.

Overall, extremely pleased with this one!  Great job!

Name: Tankman

Time: Jan 26, 2000z

Feedback: If you want to play like an operator, this course is a must. It provides so much practice on movement and coordination that would normally be impossible to find. Always a pleasure and would definitely attend again on an available date. 

Name: AshB

Date: Jan 28 0400Z

Instructors: Jimbo, Furie

I showed up to this class when I was about to join the primary but noticed there was an FTP a session about to begin. I joined with the intent of making up the numbers in case of a partial fireteam. Ended up playing as part of a group that had all done FTP1 before so we got to diverge a little bit from the schedule and practice some of the curriculum that we felt needed practice the most.

As always, very enjoyable and a good morale boost working with competent and enthusiastic players. As someone else has already said, everyone in the UO ARMA community should take these, even if you are already experienced. If nothing else, you will learn the standardized methods being taught and you will validate the efforts of UOTC in developing and delivering the courses. Lead by example.

An improvement perhaps: it is my understanding that these courses (this extends to FTP2, and presumably 3 which I have not yet taken) are intended to practice aspects of operating within a fireteam, and not leadership. Although I am already familiar with all of the concepts so far, the standardization of such takes a bit of getting used to and some extra brainpower in order to deliver commands in the precise and standard manner as a FTL. Given the course is not meant to develop leaders, I might find it useful if the participants were limited to executing commands given by already competent and practised FTLs, rather than having to deliver commands themselves. I guess I'm really just talking about myself here. I don't mind if other participants want to step up and practice being FTL. But I need some time working under the standardized system before I can be comfortable being FTL.

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical THREE

Time/Date: 14 Feb, 2000z

Great course. This one really needs to be repeated! As "Alpha" FTL you are de facto SL so this was very stressful to be in charge of both teams, remembering commands, trying to communicate what you are trying to do. Felt very overwhelming. I think it would help to have more dry runs with the pop-up targets before getting fired at. I went from assaulting with just a fireteam, to being in charge of both teams and it was almost too much, I started having some vapor lock! Would suggest moving both teams on the pop-ups maybe on flat terrain at the airfield first and then trying it out on prepared positions (eg.-bunkers, trenches). Assaulting the town was a little too much to handle for me. I'm sure I'll think of some more, but with this course you really are seeing first-hand the power of teamwork and what can be accomplished vs. the tactical blob crowd.

Name: Lord Yod

UOTC Course: FTP3

Time/Date: 14 Feb 2000z

Fantastic course. Really like how it combines the techniques and procedures from FTP1 and FTP2 into a comprehensive whole that applies to an entire squad. Definitely feel like I need to repeat it several times as it is a lot of content - as Jimbo said during the course it gives you a lot of tools in your toolbox and you need to practice in order to know which ones are right for each situation.

Name: maz
UOTC Course: FTP3
Time/Date: 14 Feb 2000z

Very good session, really adds a lot to the toolbox, the whole session felt fast paced and the ex at the end was brilliant, but not quite a smooth transition (read Bodei's above). This is another good course that warrants repeating.

Course: Fireteam Practical Two
Date: February 9th, 2014 04:00z
Instructors: Jimbo

Feedback: Personally I was feeling more relaxed performing peeling and rushing movements during session (and therefore had more time to look around, recognize commands and make decisions). 

Course: Fireteam Practical One
Date: February 17th, 2014 06:00z
Instructors: Mixtrate

Assistants: Jimbo, Lord Yod

Feedback: I think my reaction on effective enemy fire (dash&call contacts) becomes better. Mixtrate did a good job explaing every detail of this course.

Summary:

Enjoyed both sessions. Every time I attend FTP courses I learn something new for myself and feel progress. 

It's worth participating in FTP sessions again and again, as a regular training. It'll definitely make you more effective as member of a fireteam.

Time/Date: February, 18th, 2014 @ 1900z

Instructor: Cunnah / Jimbo / Enex / Bodie /

Good training session, I learned quite alot of things that I never thought about before which I will make use of in primary. The instructors were great, however Cunnah, do you mind talking a bit slower when going through theoretical? Might just be me, but at some places I had trouble hearing, but I catched up on it when we went to practical, though Cunnah were still great despite talking a bit fast.

I am probably going to attend to FTP1 once more when I have time to perfect my skills, considering that some things were quite new and took some time to get the hang of. Will definitely attend to FTP2 tomorow!

Edited by Appe96

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical Two

Time/Date: February, 18th, 2014 @ 1900z

Instructor: Jimbo

Great session, I got alot better on the skills from the previous session on FTP1, they felt alot more natural. I got alot better on bounding than before, I also got a better understanding on how buddy teams works.

Thanks to instructors, assistants and participants for a good session :)