Haribo

UOTC: New Feedback Thread

Name: Jimbo
Course: Fireteam Practical 1
Date: Nov 27, 2000z
Instructor: Enex

Enex did a great job.  I take responsibility for the failings of the session.  It was the first time we used targets rather than AI.  Your comments and suggestions are valuable and we will use them in the future. 

Edited by Jimbo

Name: Recondo
Date: Nov 27, 2000z
Instructor: Enex assisted by Jimbo

Yeah in real life, they need targets because nobody wants to volunteer getting shot at by real bullets. But in ArmA2 we should be able to spawn anything in order to train for the real fight. It only takes one bullet to take down a target and that could lead to poor reactions.

Name: Richard_Turpin

Course: Fireteam Practical 1

Date: Dec 1, 2100z

Instructor:  Enex

Very good session, covered the basics of fire-team organisation, movement and calling out contacts against live-fire AI. I found the course useful as an opportunity to polish these foundation-level skills in a training environment and I would recommend it to anyone looking to do the same. Enex delivered the course content very clearly and was always on hand to provide helpful comments and critique. I hope to attend a session for part two whenever one is scheduled.

Name: ClintUK

Course: Fireteam Practical 1

Date: Dec 11th, 2000z

I really enjoyed this course, makes me realise why I play ArmA. 

First of all it was very well lead and taught, the instructor and assistants were all top notch. It was pitched at the right level for most people to be able to pick it up, the pre-reading material was excellent if I was unsure about anything. I felt that the facilitative nature of the course was it's strongest point, it wasn't 3 - 4 mins into the course before we were being asked questions, and a further 5 mins and we were dishing out orders as FTL, then we didn't stop until the end of the course. In this environment I agree that people learn most, and gain the most enjoyment, by doing instead of sitting and listening to there PC for an hour or so.

I also felt that the course was good because the people that attended it were all like minded, that is they wanted to learn techniques and procedures to become more effective in a team. They weren't interested in running off and getting shot or not listening, thinking they know better. Everybody did there job and did as asked, even when I did get something wrong. 

Will definitely try to attend again before the 2nd course comes along.

ClintUK

Name: Bodei

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical One

Time/Date: 11 Dec 2013

Feedback: This is my second FTP 1 course and it was slightly different, not better or worse, due to a different instructor/style. I was very pleased with how well the course was prepared and executed. I like that some standardized concepts are being taught.  Our team got the hang of it quickly and I think we were able to get some more advance concepts to practise at the end. I really think this class should be run as often as possible after the famil course as it is almost as important. It helps breed confindence in what you are doing regardless if you are leading or following. Great job!

I'd also like to point out that using the live targets thats shoot back towards the end of the course added that extra realism that tests your skills when the SHTF. It is very useful, even if annoying that you need to respawn. Luckily we had great assistant instructors to spawn us back where needed. Looking forward to Part 2.

Edited by Bodei

Name: Lord Yod

Time/Date: 11 Dec 2013

Feedback: This is the second time I've taken a course taught by Enex and I definitely recommend doing so. The course does a great job of laying the foundation of what is required to be an effective fireteam member. Looking forward to future FTP courses.

Name: Mixtrate

Time/Date: December, 14th, 2013 @ 2100Z

Instructor: Furie / Enex

Feedback: This was Furie's first class, however it did not seem so. He seemed like he knew what he was doing and it felt so natural that he would be the instructor for this. He was very organized and ready for everything. Kept the class very engaged in training and it never felt boring.

The whole thing went so smooth (except for some minor delays which are expected). I would definitely do it again!

Name: Mixtrate

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical One

Time/Date: December, 14th, 2013 @ 2100Z

Instructor: Furie / Enex

Feedback: Furie's first class, but it didnt seem so. It sounded and feelt like Jimbo did it (never been under Enex's instruction) apart from the voice but had the same quality. It were entertaining even due to it were my fourth time taking the course so I say, keep going as instructor Furie!

Edited by tomms123

Name: Solidmorph

Time/Date: December 19th, 2013 @ 2200z

Feedback: Taking in to consideration that this was my very first experience with the ARMA 2 series multiplayer/mods/TS3/ACRE I felt that the class went really smooth for me. Trying to struggle to understand some military terminology to which Im not familiar but aside of that it was really enjoyable and learned a lot. By the end of the practice we were doing an acceptable job calling out targets and engaging them. Enex as a instructor was superb. Really communicative and he has this way of not making you feel like a complete ignorant when you dont know something. I will gladly join the next ones if Im allowed. 

Thanks,

Time/Date: January, 7th, 2013 @ 2000Z

Instructor: Enex / Tomms123 / Jimbo

Feedback: As always Enex did a great job on building a cohesive team. Taking Tomms123 under his wings for his first time and he did great job. Thanks to Jimbo for assisting as well.

Time/Date: January, 7th, 2013 @ 2000Z

Instructor: Enex / Tomms123 / Jimbo

Feedback: Everything went as good as it could be. Instructors had a really good information flow that made it easy for all of us to understand the training's goals quite easily. Also, i would like to point out that Tom did a really good job, as he provided us quite valuable information. 

Thanks!

Hälge

Edited by Halge

Name: Bodei

Date: 07 Jan 2014

As always, great practice! Would only suggest using the auto-equip roles found in the hangar before going out to practice engaging contacts. An important part of FTL is managing formations as regards to (especially AR role) loadout. Getting the AR to see and set up on contacts is the most important. Since the FTL usually has binoculars, he will be spotting long range targets for the AR and should generally have the AR to his immediate left or right. Anyways, minor detail...the team really got going and reacted to contacts really well. Glad you incorporated going prone upon contact and orienting towards the threat. The people that take this course will be so much more effective! I would like to see a full squad of people who have taken this course on the primary some day and see how much better they are...

Great job

Edited by Bodei

Name: Swooooooosh

Date: 10 Jan 2014

I jumped in half an hour in without prior warning along with a few other guys, and the instructors (and assistants) were able to accommodate for the extra players effectively. Very little time was spent waiting for organization, so even though we went way over the usual time limit  I felt that we were able to get a good amount of practice in. Coordination of our movement and enemy spawns was not spotless, but the instructors did a great job of it overall. Having led and followed several times during the course, by the end I was confidently calling out targets, echoing orders, and giving my team orders, three things which I've had much trouble with in the past.

One thing that I've found to have surprising potential in this course is the buddy team. Though we never elaborated beyond calling and confirming contacts with buddy teams I can imagine the flexibility that this structure offers in combat, but not with the current structure of the fireteam. I haven't checked to see if buddy team movement is in FTP 2 and 3, and it does seem to be more specialized than fireteam movement, but seems like something that can marginally increase the effectiveness of a fireteam.

First time attending, but it definitely won't be the last.

Swooooosh,

One thing that I've found to have surprising potential in this course is the buddy team. Though we never elaborated beyond calling and confirming contacts with buddy teams I can imagine the flexibility that this structure offers in combat, but not with the current structure of the fireteam. I haven't checked to see if buddy team movement is in FTP 2 and 3, and it does seem to be more specialized than fireteam movement, but seems like something that can marginally increase the effectiveness of a fireteam.

Swooooosh,

the FTPs are primarily communication practice.  You hit on a very important concept .  For speed nothing beats using our rolls instead of individual names.   The squad has 4 buddy teams and we strive in all the FTPs to encourage people to think in these terms.

Name: Pax'Jarome Malues

Date: 10 Jan 2014

Instructor:  Enex/Tomms/Jimbo/Oh My Lord... what?

Were there a little bit earlier and still made it to fuck up my PwS - config for the Training-Server :cool: *so elite*

First time I attended this course but definitely not the last time! Everyone playing on SRV1 should attend these courses as many times as it fits to his private time schedule.

I got a little bit confus about some of the parts of the prerequisits, as the material says that in FT-pfile formation FTL and AR may switch position to provide max firepower to the front of the pfile, while in session got stated that the FTL should be in front of the pfile ALWAYS.

If everyone would attend these courses we could finaly go back to the tactical standard on SRV1 we had once in the past. This course is absolutly worth all the 3 hours I spent on it. I would even go as far and say 1 hours and a few mikes ist too short for this. could be even +30mikes so one does not have to rush through the lectures.

Thanks to the instructors & the team providing this, much appriciated! (especially as this is a perfect time schedule for european players - I think we were alone 4-5 peps from germany and a few more europeans from sweden and some of the eastern countries[?])

Name: Nova
Date: 10th Jan, 2014
Instructor: Enex-Jimbo
Feedback: Just wanna say gj to Enex and Jimbo. And also others who participated in this program. Keep up the good work and I love those vids. Cheers boys.

Name: lester
Course: Fireteam Practical One
Date: January 10th, 2014
Instructor:  Jimbo/Enex/Lord

This type of course is vital for tactical gameplay at UO from my point of view. First of all it's very practical. Among other important things it establishes common vocabulary for communications inside basic, but very important unit - fireteam.

Unfortunatly at the beginning of the session I experienced problem with my TeamSpeak (I discovered that it's impossible to speak directly and move simultaniously with my assigned Push-To-Talk key - stupid me. I had tried to change it on the fly, but it didn't work out for some reason) and this unnerved me. Of course in my case there's also a language barrier. As a result I messed up several times.  :sad: 

I'm very grateful to all the instructors: Jimbo, Enex, Lord - for time and efforts they put into improving level of other players.

I think we were alone 4-5 peps from germany and a few more europeans from sweden and some of the eastern countries[?]

You are right, in my case it's russia. It was fun to be a member of fireteam with you guys and I really enjoyed it. I believe some of you are from germany (beside this fact I didn't understand a thing from your conversation during pause :smile:  ). Thank you for your patience. I think this proved once again that UO is really international community and new players are welcome here.

I'm looking foward to new FTP courses and I will definitly participate in Practical One session again.

Edited by Vladimir

Enex,

I'm really sorry that I spoiled your video at the beginning. The reason I leaned down so long was my Track IR - at the beginning of the session I was struggling with TeamSpeak configuration and switched several times back and forth between Windows and ArmA, that somehow affected TrackIR center view as a result. The problem here is that I didn't see it from the first-person view at all - it looked OK for me! You did tell me about it, but due to aforementioned TeamSpeak problems I missed that and only after other guys had notified me again I fixed this. Before watching the video I thought that it lasted only several moments and only now I realized that it had continued quite a long time...  :sad:

Edited by Vladimir

Name: Lord Yod

Course: Land Navigation

Date: January 15th, 2014

Instructor: Macaco/Jimbo/Synxe

Had a great time with this class. The sections on how to use map tools was particularly enlightening, as I'd never used them before and they really do make navigating and using your map much easier. Also very useful is how to use the Vector 21 and the DAGR together. Something I particularly appreciated was the use of map display boards for the lecture sections in order to present a sort of powerpoint-like visual aid, this made it very easy to quickly ascertain what the instructor was talking about when discussing specific aspects of map/compass use.

For the final exam I was partnered with Bodei and we had a little trouble finding our first target (it was in a forest amongst some hills so it was hard to see) but after that we quickly used the map tools using the instructions provided with the course in order to navigate to our following markers.

I strongly recommend that everyone take this course as it provides instruction in what I would consider the necessary fundamentals in navigation that every squad or fireteam member should know. In particular if you are interested in leadership positions such as squad and platoon leader, the methods taught in the course will make your job much much easier. Previously I have been eyeballing my map grids and navigating mostly by dead reckoning, and while this method isn't terrible for infantry navigation (I tend not to get lost) using the tools provided to most leadership slots properly to determine your position and waypoints accurately makes an absolutely massive difference in the speed and effectiveness of your navigation.

tldr; take this course as it will make you a more effective and valuable member of your team.

Name: Col_Hiney

Course: Land Nav

Date: Jan 15, 2014

I just wanted to apologize for dropping out, had some technical difficulties trying to do this from my laptop, and then I had to run to take care of a wifely 'emergency'. I thought I had disconnected teamspeak, but discovered when I got back that I was still connected. Really hope I can make up the portion of the class I missed (incidentally all the fun stuff where the students got to actually perform). 

Sorry all

Name: Furie
Course: Land Navigation
Date: January 15th, 2014

Really enjoyed this one.  Slides were excellent, Macaco made sure everyone kept up, and useful tips were given by instructors and students alike.  Material was interesting throughout and class participation was high.  Every question was answered well.  Pretty much guaranteed that everybody attending learned some new stuff.  Now I can finally take some FO/JTAC courses.   :happy: 

Only thing missing was navigating by the sun or stars without a compass.  :cool: 

Name: Vertigo
Date: January 16th, 2014
Instructor:  Enex/Lord Yog (I think, Enex was the primary instructor on the partical parts for our fireteam)

Great course though given how important it is I'd certainly want to take it a second time. Good fun as well with a good combination of theoretical elements and pratical elements.

Course went on longer than planned (started at 2000z ended at roughly 2230z) so maybe the length in the course description needs to be updated / changed.

Name: Skyenet

Course: FTP1

Date: Jan 16th, 2014

Intructor: Mostly Lord Yod

Excellent course, ideally everyone should do this. Learned lots of new things and put it into practice during a TVT later. Unfortunately I got GPed almost instantly when we made proper contact, but before that we looked like proper operators unlike the bungling Red Team.

Name: fREAk
Date: January 16th, 2014
Instructor:  Lord Yod / Enex

Great course, something everybody should do. Even if someone is used to lead a Formation as i am, it's something

different to do in a language other than your first. I think Lord Yod brought it to the Point when he said,  that it's much about

using the SAME standards and common terms in order to cooperate quick and effective. The TvT after the Training, i played
in a SQL-Role and it went astoundingly well if, taking the serious ACRE-problems i had, into consideration. The Way how the

Team dealt with that issue, to me is a proof for the success of this course.
I'm absolutly with Enex, who pointet out, that every FTL should rather do some drills, than just standing around and waiting

for something to happen ...  as it (not) happens often enough on public. Bringing the learned to the practice, is both -

training for the formation-leaders - aswell as teaching the common standards to newer players.

In the sense of enhanced Teamply: Win/Win. :smile:

sincerly

fREAk

Edited by fREAk

Name: Furie

Course: FTP2

Date: 2014 Jan 22, 1900z

Another great course by Jimbo, naturally.  Pace was quick but content was dense and effective.  Lord Yod had my fireteam for most of the session, and his demeanor was calm and he was a great lead, as always.  

A helpful invisible Brit kept reminding me throughout to stay down, and stay in cover.  I have a tendency to take a knee during training instead of going prone so that I can look around more and soak it all in, but you fight like you train, so I need to disable the training-vs-fighting mode switch in my brain.

Only thing I would improve is switching up FTLs more often, so that everyone can get their practice giving orders.

Edited by Furie