Haribo

UOTC: New Feedback Thread

UOTC Feedback Thread

Please provide any feedback you have related to UOTC below and use the following format for ease of use:

Name:

UOTC Course:

Time/Date:

Instructor:

Providing valuable feedback will help us help you by improving UOTC in general as well as also specific courses.

Name: Gibfender

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical One

Time/Date: 5th Noc, 1900z

Instructor: Jimbo

Feedback: Just want to say thanks to Jimbo, enex and Draey for a well done course. Apologies for my troubles hearing you, something weird was happening with my sound where I couldn't hear your voices unless I was facing you. Will definitely try to improve for the second round.

Name: Bodei

Time/Date: 5th Nov, 1900z

Feedback: This is exactly the kind of course that everyone needs to be involved with. Would be great if these could be scheduled weekly. Even twice a week. Kudos to UOTC, I see that training is really on a roll now. Training can be fun.

Name: Adrian

Time/Date: 4th Nov, 2200z, 8th Nov, 0200z

Feedback: Both sessions were awesome. Although the content is the same, it was impossible not to learn new things. Great teaching, great patience, great course. Recommend to every single one; the more you practice...

Name: jmlane

UOTC Course: Fireteam Practical One (FTP1)

Time/Date: 8 Nov-13 0200z  

Feedback: Thank you to Jimbo and Overlord for facilitating a really informative and well-organized course on the basics of being an effective fireteam. I really appreciated the opportunity to have participated in this course. I learnt a lot and will strive to make good use of my new knowledge on the UO servers. I will recommend the course highly to all that will listen.

Shout-out to Adrian, Chris, and Mike for the good times in Alpha team.

UOTC Course: Fireteam Practical One (FTP1)

Time/Date: 5th Nov, 1900z

Instructor: Jimbo / Enex

Feedback: the course was well prepared and carried out. it is probably "a must" course after familiarization. i am looking forward for both other courses FTP2 and 3.

ps. why the text is aligned center i have no idea, in the editor is all correct..

Edited by DrHonig

Name: Draey

UOTC Course: Fireteam Practical One (FTP1)

Time/Date: 8 Nov-13 0200z  

Instructor: Jimbo

Feedback: As a Squad Leader, I found my Fire-Teams/FTL's really capable and saw it as an easy job to advance to the hill. Their ability to adapt to the environment was really effective at most points, this was all of course because Jimbo taught them all that was needed to know when acting in a Fireteam. I would like to point out, if that mission was on a primary it would of been a failure, of course AI was probably made a bit easier, but attacking a hill and capturing it is a really hard task within itself, and such cooperation does not occur on the primary that often.

So that's tap on all of our shoulders.

To do upcoming parts with the same guys, would be great, can't wait.

hoorah!

Name: Tomms123

Time/Date: 5th Noc, 1900z

Feedback: First when Jimbo told how you would say it simple my mind just rushed to how the AI says it. "6. Move up      100 meters". But the course were amaizing and I hope everybody take this course as this will help in the tactical sence in many many ways as eveybody knows what you mean so people wont stand there like "so what shall I do now?". And all orders were short and not advanced which many will try to remember but forget after they just utter the words.

Well it was a great course and Im just waiting for the upcoming of it to "learn more".

Name: FineRedMist

Time/Date: 4th Nov, 2200z, 8th Nov, 0200z

Feedback: This session was pretty much exactly what I'd hoped it would be.  Jimbo was a very patient, focused, and professional instructor who did a good job of encouraging his students as they felt their way through some challenging tasks.  I definitely have a new respect for leaders (even at this, the lowest [fireteam] level) who can juggle situational awareness, the tactical plan, the radio, and imperfect soldiers under their command all while under fire.  Lots of practice will be needed to really get good at this.

I would definitely recommend that folks take this course, but I can imagine that the basic familiarization course and the map-reading/navigation course would be valuable courses to take first, as I struggled a little bit with giving clear instructions involving compass directions, e.g. "Move to the NE corner of that building," was not easily understood.

Also, it would be great if more folks who play on the primary server took these classes and attempted to integrate these techniques into everyday play.  I suppose I should just start taking team lead positions and giving short briefings to my guys: give the ORBAT, explain how I'll give orders and how to pass them along, and explain how I want contacts called.  My confidence is still in the toilet, but I guess it's just practice, practice, practice!

Thanks again to Jimbo, Enex, and my fellow attendees for a great class.

Name: Luiz Silveira

Time/Date: 10th Nov, 2350z

Feedback: This session reminded me that I like Arma and why I like Arma. That's how good it was. Thank you Jimbo.

Name: Draey

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical TWO

Time/Date: 16 Nov-13 2000Z

Feedback: probably the best Course I've taken, way too much fun, and to do this again, would be great! even with all my ACRE issues, it was a lot great stuff!

Thanks Jimbo...

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical Two

Time/Date: Nov 16th, 2000z

Instructor: Jimbo, Aquafresh (assistant)

Feedback: Outstanding course. A ton of new information, the same quick practical efficiency. With double+ ammount of people this time, Jimbo and Aqua managed to keep everything organized and clear. I personally feel the need to take this course again for the practice and to make sure I absorbed the whole course content.

Overall the course was absolutely fun and productive. I also highly recommend this one for every single member at UO.

Edited by Kowgan

Name: DrHonig

Instructor: Jimbo, Aquafresh (assistant)

Feedback: very nice, lessens my UO primary server confusion a lot. i recommend this to anyone playing army tactical games.

Name: Gibfender

UOTC Course: UOTC Fireteam Practical TWO

Time/Date: 16 Nov-13 2000Z

Feedback: Just to echo what everyone else has said. Another great practical course, with lots of empathsis on doing rather than listening. I feel like I'm already much more aware of how I'm moving in-game. I recommend this course to everyone at UO.

Name: scallops

Instructor: Jimbo, Dr. Aquafresh (assistant)

Excellent training. Bare-bones lecture (based on prerequisite reading list) followed by several field exercises.  For the live fire exercises, it was great to have different scenarios (e.g. move-to-contact vs. small infantry force vs. break contact GTFO vs. several armor).  I only wish it could've run on longer.

A few suggestions:

-After the course, we talked with Jimbo and Aquafresh about using targets or even blank-firing AI instead of live, dangerous AI in the field exercises. I agree with Aqua's point that adding a sense of danger is crucial. It adds that sense of urgency in movements and you're forced to learn to learn quickly (sink or swim). However, I don't think our class was proficient enough in the maneuvers before taking fire. If enough assistant instructors and time allows, I'd suggest:

--first exercise: just movements and comms. practicing who goes where and what the orders mean. no shooting. Suggest slower pace on flat terrain like the airstrip. Super basic. Instructors can critique as students move. Clarify misconceptions, answer questions, constructive criticism, etc.

--second exercise: live fire vs. targets. Again, probably easiest on same flat terrain airstrip. If the students are proficient enough, the instructors can add surprises like spawning enemy AI + targets. That way, the class can directly transition into...

--all others: regular live fire vs. AI and/or Tiger Team-type instructors.  Luiz made a comment about confused/chaotic frontal assault bounding where one fireteam would cross in front of another (teams bounding to different objectives some how). Maybe that could be remedied by a smoke grenade marking the assault objective (at least for the initial training-wheel exercises).

-If there are enough assistant instructors, maybe they could fill the SL and FTL roles. The learning objective is to gain proficiency in basic individual and fire team-level skills, not leadership skills. Good learning experience for student FTLs but challenging for some learning the material for the first time.

-Luiz suggested teaching bounding in small scale first (one buddy covering another; "fire team rush"?") before moving up to larger units. I'd encourage adding the "fast-forward" or "evade forward" or whatever keybinding in the prerequisite material.

Overall, I really enjoy these fireteam exercises. My only real complaint isn't Jimbo's fault but just a lack of time for more repetitious practice. I'd be willing to host a regularly scheduled practice session if anyone is interested (PM me). Otherwise, I'll be back to take the course again and again.

Name: cradboard

UOTC Course: Radio Telephone Operator Course

Time/Date: 2000z 11/20/13

Instructor: Macaco 

Feedback: Great course, well done by Macaco. The length was a bit longer than I wanted but it was worth while because Macaco covered everything I needed to be a good RTO using proper terminology and etiquette.

Name: Joelash

UOTC Course: UOTC Radio Telephone Operator

Time/Date: 20th Noc, 1900z

Feedback: Well done course by Macaco, Length was long because Macaco was explaining everything thoroughly and answering every question, However I would happily sit through any course for 3 hours as long as I was getting this level of quality teaching  :smile: Would Recommend Macaco for every RTO Course, from this course forward.

Time/Date: Nov 20th, 2000z

Feedback: Great course. It goes through everything from basic radio operation and knowledge to properly communications on net. And due to some bad habits on the community, I highly recommend this course to everyone.

Although, I think this course was too long. 2 hours of pure lecture and 1 hour of practice can get discouraging for some people.

I suggest that you lower the limit of attendants per course, and if possible, transfer the very basic content of this course (how to manipulate radios) back to the Familiarization Course. With that, you should expect that every attendant already know how to operate those radios, and you can focus the course on the communication procedures. This way, I guess you could minimize the whole course length to 2 hours maximum.

Thanks to the instructor and every assistant. You did a great job!

Name: Enex

Lecturing part:

I would suggest to put ABC of comms on beginning along with basic idea of RTO being information filter:

what informations are important for SL and which not.

Agree with length - 90minutes of lecturing is lots of informations and with it loss of retention.

More of a including participants into lecturing to keep them interested.

Way too little actual talk on the radio for RTO course.Could be used between 2 instructor for each

example. (wait one/wait out, hey you this is me, radio checks, over and out examples all on radio)

Would like to see more formatted scheme for contact report lockstat and SITREP on table in game.

Practical part:

Right on beginning assign teams with instructor each on their own vehicle

(recommending HMMVEs to avoid high speeding incidents)

Multiple routes for markers to avoid stepping on each other.

Obviously it works for small group but not for 12+ as today

Misc: I missed radio check of callsign

1callsign this is 1'6 radiocheck

1'1 loud and clear

1'2 Lima charlie

1'3 clear and readable

1'6 to all calsigns loud & clear out.

More clearly time edited lesson plan, to avoid 2 hours of sitting and listening.

Maybe breaking into different parts:

ABCs of comms

Participants starts with hey you this is me and learn to convey message

loud and clear, with thinking before saying, encouraging brevity.

Lecture on different radios.

Participants get to do wait one/wait out...I think you get idea.And then on the end

people get exam and would get better idea of executing plan.

I get the feel that lots of explaining went into exam part which caused lack of

training and lots of lecturing.

This is constructive criticism, I acknowledge all your work put into lesson plan and map which is amazing.

EDIT: The laser range finder as laser dot was frigging great idea!!

Edited by enex

I would suggest to put ABC of comms on beginning along with basic idea of RTO being information filter:

what informations are important for SL and which not.

More of a including participants into lecturing to keep them interested.

Way too little actual talk on the radio for RTO course.Could be used between 2 instructor for each

example. (wait one/wait out, hey you this is me, radio checks, over and out examples all on radio)

Right on beginning assign teams with instructor each on their own vehicle

(recommending HMMVEs to avoid high speeding incidents)

Multiple routes for markers to avoid stepping on each other.

Obviously it works for small group but not for 12+ as today

Misc: I missed radio check of callsign

1callsign this is 1'6 radiocheck

1'1 loud and clear

1'2 Lima charlie

1'3 clear and readable

1'6 to all calsigns loud & clear out.

I agree with enex on the points quoted above, except the last one (see below).

Much time was necessarily spent on the mechanics of what/how to speak, but I'm not entirely sure that a solid image of what an RTO's day job is like was passed along during the lecture part.  Many examples of radio calls were given, but none of the interaction between, say, the PSG and his RTO. I think a dual-instructor example of some of those kinds of interactions (both direct and then the radio work that follows) would have helped a lot to understand the big picture of it all.

First round of practical we weren't using radios, just speaking on direct.  I left to look some stuff up on the forum, and when I came back groups were practicing on their own radio channels--this was much better, as up until that second round, I had no occasion to actually use one of the radios.

The link given out to the ACP 125(F) was an excellent one, once I noticed it in chat.  The link to this document should have been pushed much more directly and loudly at us, I think.

While enex missed the last thing quoted--the radio check on net--I remember that happening, so I guess he was just away for that bit.

Aside: It was interesting reading, and when I looked up the prowords that are to replace 5x5-style reports, enex's above example of 'clear and readable' (which was brought up in class as well), I found I was right to have been bugged about it previously--both 'clear' and 'readable' specify clarity, but the first word relates loudness (as in the first digit in a 5x5-style report), while the second is for clarity.  Page 79 of the ACP 125(F) describes the correct prowords for anyone that wants too look them up, but I suggest reading the whole thing.  It's full of useful advice as to when callsigns can be shortened or removed entirely, among other things.  

After the initial class and first round of practical, I found I greatly enjoyed tagging along with Jimbo on the second round.  He always had useful advice on practiced reports, and had a clear focus on brevity.  Reminded me in more ways than one of a VATSIM air traffic control instructor I used to learn from.  Jimbo reminded us to not just think about SALTA or other standard forms for reports, but to anticipate what would come next on the radio: questions about whether we needed support, the non-necessity of always including obvious data, or clarifying this or that.  It was good to be reminded that an RTO isn't just a radio operator, but rather an information manager whose tool of choice just happens to be his radio, and our biggest weapons are our pen & paper, our skillful wielding of the net, our SA, and our ability to predict what information our unit needs and when.

And when an enemy fireteam got up and started moving at the end of it all, Jimbo called for us to open fire.  Which led to some hilarity as the two of us under Jimbo pointed our weapons and started yelling "Bang! Bang!" as we had no ammunition for an RTO course.  A prompt "run away!" order was issued and we hid behind a tree.  Thankfully, the bad guys didn't seem to have any ammo either.   :happy:

Name: Furie

Course: Fireteam Practical 1

Date: Nov 22, 2100z

Instructor:  Enex

Enex's first class, apparently!  Was monitored and assisted by Jimbo, and others helped out tiger-team style.

It went well.  I had lots of questions, as always, so I figured this was the best place to ask them.  All were answered to my satisfaction.  I tend to ask a lot about motivations behind certain procedures more than the procedures themselves, and both Enex and Jimbo knew what the deal was.  

Once I came to terms with the narrow scope of the class (things like fireteam bounding, arcs of fire, etc were ignored to focus on contact calls and actions on fire), I had fun and learned a few things.  I assume more in-depth subject matter will be covered in FTP2 and 3.

Enex, I think you did rather well for your first time instructing.  Oh, and Jimbo, you're more distracting as an invisible ghost than as a visible instructor.  I was constantly hearing footsteps on gravel with nobody there, and was looking around a lot to figure out where you were or if Arma was bugging out or what.  I figured it was you, and then when I heard your disembodied voice, I realized what was going on.  People expect to have instructors following them around, though, so may as well stay visible.  Unless that was just a bug, in which case, never mind. 

Name: AshB

Date: Nov 27, 2000z

Instructor: Enex assisted by Jimbo

This course has had plenty of positive feedback and I'm short on time so I'll just suggest some improvements.

Very often new enemies were spawned during a lecture or reorganization phase. Half the participants would take action on the enemies, while the other half continued listening to the instructor. This frustrated me as I was expected to deal effectively with contact as soon as I was assigned FTL, without having a chance to establish the team. It would be helpful if instructors would clearly state when the exercise is on "pause" and when the exercise is "live". E.G. When on pause all enemies would be ignored and instructions/lectures may be given or team may reorganise (new FTLs etc). When live the enemies should be treated as real and action should be taken accordingly.

Very often new enemies were spawned during a lecture or reorganization phase. Half the participants would take action on the enemies, while the other half continued listening to the instructor. This frustrated me as I was expected to deal effectively with contact as soon as I was assigned FTL, without having a chance to establish the team. It would be helpful if instructors would clearly state when the exercise is on "pause" and when the exercise is "live". E.G. When on pause all enemies would be ignored and instructions/lectures may be given or team may reorganise (new FTLs etc). When live the enemies should be treated as real and action should be taken accordingly.

Agreed.  I made a mental note of this during the training when it happened, but apparently I used mental disappearing ink.  I have a kneeboard, and I need to use it more often.

The contact at the end of training was a great reminder to stay frosty and whatnot, but when they popped up during orbats it was confusing.  I think a couple of times it was a simple case of needing more coordination between instructors, when Jimbo was elsewhere setting stuff up and didn't necessarily know when Enex was picking a new team leader.  Perhaps the instructor should have some method of notifying the assistant when contacts should be deployed, via hand signals from behind the fireteam or something similar.

Edited by Furie

Name: Lord Yod

This class was pretty good. The focus on the basics of ORBAT, movement in formation, and calling contacts really reinforced the basic necessities of being an effective part of a fireteam. Will definitely sign up for FTP2.

Name: AshB

I ran out of time earlier to write about this second point I wanted to make.

Later in the course (when we were using blue or red pop up targets) I felt there was was confusion about the intended execution of the exercises. Targets would appear within 100m or so and facing towards us. I believe the intention of the exercise was for the contact to be called out, have the FTL ensure everyone is sighted in on the contact, and then open fire on command of the FTL. However I think our team interpreted these pop up enemies as having seen us and presenting an immediate threat. The appropriate action in that circumstance would be to open fire immediately, even if weapon status is "yellow", and this is mostly what happened. I wasn't really satisfied with this exercise because I wasn't sure if we had been doing the intended thing.

A few suggestions then (some better than others but I like options to be on the table):

-the instructor could more clearly state how they intend the exercise to run and could stress that we should assume the [pop up] enemy have not seen us, and that we have some time to orient the team onto the target before engaging, or;

-the pop ups could be replaced by ai. It is much easier for players to distinguish whether the ai are alerted or have seen you, and the team has a more uniform sense of the urgency that is required, or;

-the pop ups could be placed significantly further away such that we could reasonably assume the enemy has not seen us due to the distance alone.