Impulse 9

Donation Goals vs Subscription Goals

Donation/Subscriptions  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be able to Donate or Subscribe?

• I can not donate.
    • I am against donating.
    • I can/do donate occasionally.
    • I can/do donate frequently.
  2. 2. What amount would you be most comfortable donating?

• $5.00 to $6.00 Per Month
    • $6.00 to $7.00 Per Month
    • $7.00 to $8.00 Per Month
    • $8.00 to $9.00 Per Month
    • $9.00 to $10.00 Per Month
    • $10.00 or More Per Month
    • Unable/Unwilling to Support.

I think I've only donated once as I tend to forget whenever I have money to spare. I'd definitely be interested in a way to just donate every month when I get paid.

I assume the best choice was already made, but I'm curious for some details by asking this question: Why was an LLC chosen for UO instead of some non-profit or tax-exempted entity like a 501(c )(7) Social Club?

I'd also like to suggest editing the first post of the thread with more info, especially Boon's FAQ post. Help prevent the thread from clogging up with questions from people who didn't read the whole thing.

Edited by SCFan42

Non Eligible for 501©(7) due to judgement/disparity between member/donator and services distribution.

Given prior judgement and if we were allowing non paid members to receive services, that donators or subscribers were to receive that we would be ineligible for this status. In addition to certain members donating over and above what others have in the past, the disparity was not able to be argued for.

First Post will be updated by Monday with relevant information/Pricing Structures.

Payment options will be updated on or before 31 December.

At present Preferred Payment sources are Credit Card/Debit Card, and then PayPal.

I am open for other payment means based upon demand/need, but cost/management overhead of each of these will need to be considered.

This is pretty crazy, and i'm sorry you got nailed with the taxes Imp.  I fully understand and support it though as it makes sense and this is not a cheap community to run.  Back when I was active there were periods where we would get hardly any donations and Imp and I would take turns footing the entire server bills.  A reliable and transparent system will go a long ways towards keeping UO around.

is paysafe included?

(Is my only way to donate - is the way I buy steam games)

same

also i guess it would be possible to prepay a couple of months worth of subscription?

Edited by asaliotos

In short COPPA prevents this, as no one under 18 is allowed on our forums without parents consent. Hence their parents consent for the minor to our terms and conditions. Also lets keep this on topic please. We can have a legal argument elsewhere, but needless to say, I9 has already ran this through a lawyer. 

Thanks Boon, just wondered. 

At present I am unable to accept PaySafeCards.  Primary reason is the lack of an existing payment gateway support with our software/backend.

Secondary concerns with security and the lack of merchant information presented by PaySafe which other payment gateways easily provide.
I can look into it more in the future, but it is not something that I will be investing any more time into in the next two weeks.

There are payment options to convert PaySafe funds into PayPal at present while not optimal is an option for those that require such a function.

I know that we're focused on targeting regulars for subscription fees and such (for obvious logistical reasons, and I have no specific qualms about that), but has anyone stopped to investigate the effects of this?

I understand that most regulars are willing to pay now, as would I if I had the money, but with the general consensus that the quality of play on the server is declining rapidly, how long will it be until some (or even most) of the regulars realize that it's not worth their money for the service that they are receiving? (ie. dedicating countless hours of work and money for subscription fees just to work some more while playing on the server to keep the countless idiots in-check)

I know that if the quality of play on the server doesn't improve, and that if I have to pay to work here (ya, isn't that weird?), then I'll just leave my regularship and stop doing the thing that causes me so much trouble. I would only pay for something which I enjoy, and looking through recent posts and reviews, most regulars seem to be losing interest in the exact services which we will be inclined to pay for in the future.

So, are we really targeting the right group? We're putting an even larger burden on the group that does all of the work for UO in order to make it such an amazing community, but alleviating the pain on the group that detriments us all? (the non-regulars who don't allow for an enjoyable atmosphere on the server)

I have to say that this is a very horrendous plan, and that it will inevitably bring UO burning down to the ground, unless something different is done.

Maybe make it pay-to-play here for everyone, excluding officers? (which also introduces a very effective barrier-to-entry, and, in my opinion, the absolute best option we have for financial stability since it would be fairly cheap for everyone)

Or maybe make the community exclusive, like using an application-based (like ShackTac) or a referral-based entry method. (although this is a rather shady and difficult to implement option)

And I know that the community wasn't founded on the principles that I've described above, but is it worth losing the best members that we have here because of the ailing game-play on the server and their possible future unwillingness to pay for it?

I mean really, who wants to pay to work and not have fun?

Edited by Naught

Great ready, your going to be paying for a lot of things you don't like when your fully employed. 

My understanding is that it is not only exclusively Regulars who will be paying.  We are looking at both members and regulars to help take care of the costs.  Maybe Impulse or Boon can better clarify this.

I know that we're focused on targeting regulars for subscription fees and such (for obvious logistical reasons, and I have no specific qualms about that), but has anyone stopped to investigate the effects of this?

I understand that most regulars are willing to pay now, as would I if I had the money, but with the general consensus that the quality of play on the server is declining rapidly, how long will it be until some (or even most) of the regulars realize that it's not worth their money for the service that they are receiving? (ie. dedicating countless hours of work and money for subscription fees just to work some more while playing on the server to keep the countless idiots in-check)

I know that if the quality of play on the server doesn't improve, and that if I have to pay to work here (ya, isn't that weird?), then I'll just leave my regularship and stop doing the thing that causes me so much trouble. I would only pay for something which I enjoy, and looking through recent posts and reviews, most regulars seem to be losing interest in the exact services which we will be inclined to pay for in the future.

So, are we really targeting the right group? We're putting an even larger burden on the group that does all of the work for UO in order to make it such an amazing community, but alleviating the pain on the group that detriments us all? (the non-regulars who don't allow for an enjoyable atmosphere on the server)

I have to say that this is a very horrendous plan, and that it will inevitably bring UO burning down to the ground, unless something different is done.

Maybe make it pay-to-play here for everyone, excluding officers? (which also introduces a very effective barrier-to-entry, and, in my opinion, the absolute best option we have for financial stability since it would be fairly cheap for everyone)

Or maybe make the community exclusive, like using an application-based (like ShackTac) or a referral-based entry method. (although this is a rather shady and difficult to implement option)

And I know that the community wasn't founded on the principles that I've described above, but is it worth losing the best members that we have here because of the ailing game-play on the server and their possible future unwillingness to pay for it?

I mean really, who wants to pay to work and not have fun?

Pay to play for everyone is scary and soul shaking notion that would exclude lots of students and people like myself (without way to pay) that do try to make primary more tactical living server.

I'm not responding to only that but also to agree that regulars might get burned out that way faster.Paying  with still declining quality of play?In a long run it might be

detrimental.So why don't we think about BtE? (barrier to entry).We get higher level of quality, we do get less people but regulars would have much more out of primary.

Edited by enex

Great ready, your going to be paying for a lot of things you don't like when your fully employed. 

My understanding is that it is not only exclusively Regulars who will be paying.  We are looking at both members and regulars to help take care of the costs.  Maybe Impulse or Boon can better clarify this.

Oh I know, I wasn't talking specifically about myself, just the basic fact that people won't willingly pay for things that they don't want, and I feel that some regulars may not or will not want to play on the server anymore.

Pay to play for everyone is scary and soul shaking notion that would exclude lots of students and people like myself (without way to pay) that do try to make primary more tactical living server.

I'm not responding to only that but also to agree that regulars might get burned out that way faster.Paying  with still declining quality of play?In a long run it might be

detrimental.So why don't we think about BtE? (barrier to entry).We get higher level of quality, we do get less people but regulars would have much more out of primary.

Agreed, my recommendation would be to accompany this change with something else that would even-out the benefit and the cost, as I can see the cost much outweighing the benefit of playing here as a regular in the future.

Assuming United States Federal minimum wages. Less than one hour of work will provide the monthly coverage. One full (8 hour) day of work will be able to provide yearly donation requirements (+/- $2 given your locale).

Were steps taken to avoid this, yes, up until this became a legal an issue of compliance.

The poll itself is a partial basis for the whom and how much will be required, even if some step down for lack of interest, motivation, desire, or what have you.

Pay to pay sounds great in theory, but it would be more damaging, in addition to being directly against how this community was founded. Motivate those that are participating and or give them more of a concern for their efforts to be further rewarded and or enhanced by having a larger vested interest in the community now that others are also sharing the burden to keep this place running.

Just a shot in the dark, but considering the $400 + a month server cost, has it ever been considered to simply purchase a server, and run it ourselves? Depending on the PC requirements Impulse is looking for a may be interested in investing. If this is a possibility, can anyone post the Server specs we would need, as well as the required network connection so that i can do the math?

Collocation for the amount of bandwidth that we use becomes very pricey very quickly. With our current provider they are responsible for the hardware, and we have been given in line upgrades along the way.

I am interested in having our own server, but at present the price to collocate it with the same abilities performance has outweighs the current cost that we are paying per month for our existing server.

To give an idea, we are on an 1GB connection that has had pretty solid 600mb to 750mb bursts. We typically are moving between 6 to 8TB per month on the gameserver alone, not counting web, nor addon pack CDN. Is our server as fast as it could be, no, not really. But it is within our budget for what the community can support at present.

Space, is a secondary issue as we would be paying per U, and then power is also something that needs to be considered depending on the hosting location.

Average prices for comparable hosting for a 1U server in the same geographic location were running upwards of 650/month, without associated hardware costs, or maintenance. I do not look forward to flying to Net York or outsourcing labor in-case there is a hardware fault at any time of day.

Finalized pricing structure is as follows.

Donator*
$6.00 Setup - 6.00/month
1 Month @ $6.00 = 06.00 for 1 year = 72.00
3 Month @ $5.75 = 17.25 for 1 year = 69.00 (Discounted 4%)
6 Month @ $5.50 = 33.00 for 1 year = 66.00 (Discounted 8%)
9 Month @ $5.25 = 41.25 for 1 year = 63.00 (Discounted 12.5%)
1 Year @ $5.00 = 60.00 for 1 year = 60.00 (Discounted 20%)

External Advertisement Removal
$2.00/month

Standalone Barracks Channel Addition
15.00 Setup - 5/month

Donor's Barracks Channel Addition

$2.50/month

-EDIT: 2013-12-24 - Due to technical issues with my ISP i have been unable to put this system fully into place before January 1, 2014.
If I am able to stay connected to push these changes forward I will do so as soon as possible but the full change over is partially delayed until I can get the working model committed first.
At this point I am using Dialup for when I do have a dialtone to stay connected.  This is pretty absurd that I have resorted to using a modem again. (been w/o phone service for the last 4 days)

Packages will be available to be purchased at a later date once user group updates/requirements are completed.

Monthly Donations can still be applied to the above options in the following increments, for those that wish to apply additional donations toward the server fund or future expansions.
$1, $5, $10. These may be purchased multiple times and reapplied per month, so (2) $1, addons would allow you to donate an additional $2/month.

A secondary donation bar/goal will be provided up until Yearly Requirements can be meet.

-EDIT: 2014-01-10 - Initial Rollout for Regulars and Officers
-EDIT: 2014-01-11 - Rollout for Members

Donation/Subscription packages are now available in the store area.   We are currently able to accept the following payment methods - PayPal and Credit/Debit Cards.
Other options can be explored based on price/overhead/fees associated with them.

Basic prices have been finalized at the following rates.

Donator Status - ($5.00 to $6.00 Per Month - Base Package)

1 Month = $6.00
3 Month = $17.25
6 Month = $33.00
9 Month = $47.25
12 Month = $60.00

This keeps us under the $6.00 margin, and for those that are able to a $0.25 reduction in costs for each 3 months that you are able to donate for in advance.

Additional Donation Packages (OPTIONAL)
The following packages are also available as completely optional addons if you have a donor status.

Server Fund - ($1-$25 Per Month - OPTIONAL)
This is a method to donate additional funds towards the community for server upgrades over and above our existing requirements.  This is completely optional, and at your will.   The multiple options that you can select for this, may be applied in any manner you see fit, but these are MONTHLY subscription additions, and will be renewed monthly.   Due to how our store functions on the backend, to keep these a subscription we could not create a system where you enter a custom ammount for a recurring donation.
The following options exist
$1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $10
For example, if you desired to donate an additional $6 per month, you would simply add any number of the above options to get to the value desired.  If more options are needed, please contact me directly.

Advertisement Removal - ($2.00/Month OPTIONAL)
This should be pretty straight forward, but it is a $2.00 per month addition that will remove all "EXTERNAL" advertisements from your forums browsing.
We may reserve the right to run internal community advertisements as we have done for Events/Signups/Notices in the past for limited duration.

Pre-Existing Stand Alone Packages

User Name Change ($10 Per Instance)
If you wish to change your name on the forums, this package may be applied to your account to allow you to have a one use Name change. This will not affect your login name or password credentials, only how your name is displayed on the Forums.

Teamspeak Icon Addition ($15 per Icon)
If you have an icon that you wish to be added as a flavor icon for use on teamspeak, by yourself or others, this can be purchased to add a single icon into the teamspeak server, as well as any flavor text associated with it.
This includes it's application to yourself, and modifications within the first week of it's addition and any updates/edits as required.

Teamspeak Icon Change ($5 per change)
If an existing flavor icon exists within the teamspeak server, this would allow you to be granted any single existing flavor icon.

Barracks Channel Addition (Prices Subject to Change)
At present this package exists for non regulars to have a single public and one private subchannel in the barracks section of teamspeak.
With the addition of the donations & subscriptions the prices for this section needs to be redetermined based upon participation.
Prior Prices - Non Donators = $15 setup fee, for first month, and $5 per month recurring.
Donator Prices = $2.50 per month, when maintained in conjunction with a donator status.

Gift Vouchers
These may be purchased, and you can in turn either give them to another user or reserve for yourself as account credits.
At present you may purchase them in any custom amount that you wish, or in the predefined $5.00, $15.00, $30.00 and $60.00 amounts.
You are not limited by using these within your user group, A Regular may purchase and gift these to Members, or the opposite is also appropriate.

I expect to have to continue to spend a fair bit of time on this over the next few weeks.   If you have any questions please feel free to ask me at any time either on Teamspeak or in PM.
Other options and suggestions for expanding on this or adjusting things to better suit the donors, or bring forward additional features can be explored based upon your input.

Please note that at present we are revamping the SquadXML options to work for the donators in addition to the BEC system for use with the ArmA 2 servers.
These projects will be updated with their status in this thread, or the appropriate threads under teamspeak or news and announcements.

Forgive me if this has been covered before, I had a quick re-scan but couldn't see an answer here.

Let's assume that the donation system is a runaway success, every single registered member donated the maximum amount possible each month as well as the optional server fund donation. The servers, bandwidth and other costs of running UO at current levels are met. What would be done with the leftover money? What's the upgrade path like for UO? A new server/upgrades to current server? Extra bandwidth? I know we're still far from meeting current costs, just curious as to what the best case scenario is for the future.

Host teamspeak seperately from the gameserver, meatier/dedicated hardware for the gameservers, new webhost/vps for the website.

Once I get my first paycheck , I would wouldn't mind donating 5 dollars per month as I do enjoy this community and have had memorable experiences, ( I even enjoy Gabe and Kevin Squeakers).

Also is debit fine?

Paypal + Debit/Credit (by way of Stripe) are both accepted.

Subscriptions with Paypal require extra authroizations with Paypal. You can avoid this by purchasing Gift Certificates, one time purchases, as opposed to subscriptions.

I have heard no reports of issues with Debit cards to date.

Moved Advertisement removal from a separate item to part of the Donor status.

Removed Advertisement purchasing - mostly unused except by a few specific instances.

Event Advertisements may still appear for "in community" events.

Squad XML Functions being removed from Donor rights.

All Members can use the Squad/Units Page for an ingame Units Branding.