Sign in to follow this  
Herbiie

Rome Total War 2

I saw the mods, but I wasn't happy with either of them. Maaaaybe that the Radious-mod will turn out good, but it change too little/wrong things the last version I looked (for example better morale was uncalled for).

I agree that units will rout too soon when they still have plenty of men left. Once a unit or two routs then the entire army goes.

I was defending a city from a siege. I was vastly outnumbered but managed to get the initial enemy units who were burning my gate down to rout. Then with like 2000 men standing nearby getting ready to attack my walls, they saw those men running and started running themselves. No hand to hand combat. Lasted 2 minutes. The AI needs some serious fixes.

Routing should be a chain-effect. That much is right. Individual soldiers have no idea what's happening on the battlefield and without good training and discipline or a strong warrior-culture they're prone to run when they see others run. And a big bunch of the units in the game (especially those the AI likes to use) are of poor quality.

A lot of major battles have been won because *some* part of the line broke and it made everyone else run.

In fact most ancient battles had pathetic casualties in the actual battles. We're speaking something like 1-5% dead for the victor and 3-8% dead for the loser. Total casualties of about double that if you include injures worth a name. That means that in a battle with high casualties only 15% of the loser's army would be victims of violence by the time the entire army has routed. Many of the injured will die from their wounds, often due to poor treatment rather than the graveness of the wound, and even if the wounded can be "saved" (i.e. saved from being killed by the enemy after the battle has ended) surely half of them will die.

However armies often took major casualties after routing, in particular from being hunted down by horses and trackers, and from starvation/dehydration as they have to get away from civilization to avoid capture. This could often cause up to a total of 25-30% losses (i.e. about three times as many as the battle victims in a battle without catastrophic losses) unless the situation is so bad the entire army simply disperses and dissolves (although this is extreeeeemely rare).

Edited by Inkompetent

After a few patches yes, now - don't think so, wait until they fix a few optimization issues and the game is fine.

My advice: Do not buy it yet. Check in once in a while at Total War Center to see what mods are out and the current state of the game. Wait for the mods, wait for the patches.
I honestly regret buying this as it is now. 

I hear some negative comments here and om TS. Is this worth getting at all?

The base for a good game is there but right now AI issues are making the game trivial, the AI is incredibly passive in the campaign map and in battle they keep doing retarded shit, naval battles are incredibly broken.

If you have a burning desire to play it go for it but if you can wait and pick it up for a sale/when its fixed it will be much better.

Edited by ZZEZ

I hear some negative comments here and om TS. Is this worth getting at all?

It has some really annoying flaws but don't get me wrong, I still find myself coming back to it. I still really enjoy it I just know it could be much better.

Like others have said, here's hoping patches and mods fix it.

I tested it at a friends house today, and I gotta agree alot with angry joe here. Atleast on the battle AI and its bugs, I didn't get a chance to play the campaign though, but I am not sure that I want to test it. I'll boot up my M2TW and play that for a while, no RTW2 for me! 

Edited by Appe96

Totally agreed with Angry Joes review, but one thing he missed is the new system for the generals...

That is literally my biggest gripe, it's fucking ridiculous that I have to send generals back in order to give them more units, instead of being able to recruit the noobs, and send them to the general...

I'd say the AI holds up MUCH better if you play as the Germans, you actually have to worry about the enemy attacking you!

The navy is also fucking retarded as it is currently, you literally don't need a navy, you can just sail across the map and engage enemy navies and win with your much bigger transport ships. (I have no fucking clue what they were thinking on that "Feature" the old system worked fine, you had to protect your invasion force with a fleet of sufficient strength!)

In summary, they dunfuckeditup!

Navies work well once you get decent ships. Small transport galleys don't stand a chance a quinremes and such. A lot of the time you sink the little galleys on the first ram, simply sailing straigh through their puny ships.

Early-game armies are real navy-killers though.

But hey... You can take cities with navies too! You don't need a landing force. Navies can capture every single city with a harbour in it without sieging. You can assault on the first turn and disembark your ship crews to beat 'em.

I think the game is irredeemable at this point unless they patch a bunch of the features to make them more fun, even if you try fixing the issues with mods it remains that the game lacks depth. The politics aspect is a joke and once you start getting into the 150+ turn games it just turns into a long boring slog against factions that field the exact same unit compositions with the exact same tactics. There's just not much fun to spreading your faction's color on the map after a while as most of the people you fight aren't "unique" and the game doesn't offer any challenge.

Yeah. The victory conditions are insane. I don't think I've ever played through a single long campaign in any single TW game since it becomes boring shit. And in RTW2 you can only choose between long, long, and long. Only option is which flavour you want "long" to be (conquest, trade, etc).

Not as bad as Empire at launch, but there is no excuse for dumbing down the battles and making it more "arcadey" in all ways. The trial and error involved in figuring out how to build structures is bad enough, but the battle AI and stupid capture the flag dynamic has me shelving this after 30 hrs of gameplay. Back to Arma!

The campaign AI seems better after mods, however the battle AI is the worst I have seem in a Total War game. Its so dumb it forgets to attack you...

I had a seige of Carthage that lasted 60 mins because the ai army's incompetence. (30-40 units of just spear men may I add... wtf)

Only about 8 units attacked - They burned down one of my gates, and lemming'd into my pikemen... while the rest of its army were sunbathing on the beach. His ally in the meantime diden't even bother to land his boats...

How can they release a game this broken?

That seems to be a common problem with me. AI has extreme difficulty when attack your town/city from the sea. Especially if it's walled.

Best I can do is get all my missile units on the walls, kill any that spaz into the gates or walls, then sally the infantry out to finish the rest.

Well, the game is improving a fair bit at least. Still retarded battle AI I can agree, but they are definitely revising the mechanics of battle to be better (slower infantry, more HP, lower melee damage, greater fatigue loss from melee), making it less of a ridicilous slaughter and more of an actual battle. Me like!

Patch 5 is now live.

Huge amount of further improvements and fixes.

Might be time for me to go back to it. I played the first week then stopped. Its the first time i regret buying a Total War game. And I've been waiting for this one so much. I hope it wont stick as a trend.

Quite some patches they are dishing out. Not sure they've fixed the fundamental problems with the game though (i.e. the game being more... boring than previous titles, at least on the strategy map), but at least it seems like it is getting quite polished within the boundaries of their major design decisions.

The only gripe I have is the fact that Roma 2 doesn't support Alternate Frame Rendering so I have to force Single Frame Rendering.

Am I the only one who really likes it and prefers it to even the original Rome (having played that a lot recently)?