Add Gabe as a Regular?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Add Gabe as a Regular?

• Yes
    • No

Thanks guys, for all the kind words. Hopefully this will have a turn-around :unsure:... or I will have better chances in my next poll.

- Gabe

Gabe, you're a good leader, an amazing player, and you're competent with an incredibly large range of roles and assets.

I guess what people are trying to say here is that you have the knowledge and attitude, but you're not quite there in terms of life experience. Being only a year older than you, I can say that you can learn vast amounts of information and skills in such a short time frame, so take advantage of it. My current advice would be to learn when to be a subordinate and when to be the class-act leader that we all strive to be.

If this poll goes south, don't think of it as a loss, think of it as an escape from the horrible monstrosity that is UO Politics.

To be blunt: "mature" and "mature for someone who is young" are two RADICALLY different things. I was mature for my age growing up -- doesn't mean I was ready to, say, run a business right out of high-school. You are no longer the annoying kid I remember trying to figure out how sarcasm worked when someone on the server told you "no", but you're also not an adult that is capable of not taking things personally, taking criticism at face value or admitting to your mistakes when they're brought to your attention.

Case in point is you thinking my comment, which you paraphrased, is me being ageist. It's not that I don't want you as a Regular because you're young, it's because you, like every other person your age, aren't fully emotionally developed. Another example would be your responding to Viking's post personally -- instead of just taking it on the chin and moving on. 

I find it weird when people tell me I am "not ready for UO politics". I can't wrap my head around this one, and actually see it more as a nice way of saying "you sound like a kid, so GTFO". This is my personal opinion on the matter, but if you regulars truly feel I am not ready, then I will try again next year.

Edited by Scope

scope learn to quote... you made me look aimlessly after where you got that quote from.... :D

Scope - I agree with you fully about being able to "take it on the chin and moving on" and I have learned from my mistakes on my first poll. However, as you can see, Viking's post was entirely inaccurate, why should I not provide clarification on false accusations? I will not continue this any further because it only hurts me.

- Gabe

If this poll goes south, don't think of it as a loss, think of it as an escape from the horrible monstrosity that is UO Politics.

*Edit* Not directed at you, Crackman....you were just the last UO Politics post I saw.

I keep seeing this "UO Politics" thrown around, so let's take a look at it. What people call "politics" here is basically the same guys sitting behind a computer monitor with a bottle of Jergens and some tissue awaiting the chance to get off from jacking in circles with other members, neither of which frequent the server or game in which most of the circle jerk is over. No party ever meets a common ground and nothing is ever solved. ArmA is our core, accept it or not. You can't come on a forum and try to form opinions on others or the state of the Primary when you don't even fucking get on the bitch.

A more effective approach to our "politics" is to simply cast your vote (in the case of a poll) and then state your opinion on the matter. If further clarification is needed, then so be it. There shouldn't be all of the bickering over. It isn't healthy for the community or it's members and it leaves a lot of resentment and trust issues amongst everyone.

Back on topic though.... Gabe is immature? Sure, he's a teen. I'm not expecting him to be able to lead an American Revolution to over throw the government and be the voice of the New Republic. He simply wants to be a Regular and have more of a say in the community that he's devoted a lot of his spare time to. I've witnessed a lot of you hypocritical bastards goof off and giggle like a bunch of elementary school kids that just seen Debbie Does Dallas for the first time. Then when someone calls you on it, you tell them to chill out and that you're just messing around. If you're going to hold an applicant to a certain set of standards, you better damn fucking well make sure that you, yourself, meet those standards. Understand that I enjoy life and like to kid around every now and then, therefore I don't hold applicants to some great, unobtainable standard of maturity. You also can't hold someone being hot headed against them when I've witnessed some of you degrade the fuck out of someone, myself included when I first joined here.

In short, stop voting in applicants simply because they begin to kiss your ass and worship the ground you walk on when they're poll is up. Gabe is a straight up guy and you all are coming off with some dumb shit right now. Seriously, how can you say the kid hasn't change when I don't ever see you on the Primary, but see Gabe every single day.

/rant

If you guys wanna talk about this, PM me or send something in the Regular's Skype. It's time to actually try to make a difference here and stop arguing about it. Gabe is on everyday leading, giving advice, and being 20x more productive than 75% of the Regular base.

Edited by The BrentP

*Edit* Not directed at you, Crackman....you were just the last UO Politics post I saw.

I keep seeing this "UO Politics" thrown around, so let's take a look at it. What people call "politics" here is basically the same guys sitting behind a computer monitor with a bottle of Jergens and some tissue awaiting the chance to get off from jacking in circles with other members, neither of which frequent the server or game in which most of the circle jerk is over. No party ever meets a common ground and nothing is ever solved. ArmA is our core, accept it or not. You can't come on a forum and try to form opinions on others or the state of the Primary when you don't even fucking get on the bitch.

A more effective approach to our "politics" is to simply cast your vote (in the case of a poll) and then state your opinion on the matter. If further clarification is needed, then so be it. There shouldn't be all of the bickering over. It isn't healthy for the community or it's members and it leaves a lot of resentment and trust issues amongst everyone.

Back on topic though.... Gabe is immature? Sure, he's a teen. I'm not expecting him to be able to lead an American Revolution to over throw the government and be the voice of the New Republic. He simply wants to be a Regular and have more of a say in the community that he's devoted a lot of his spare time to. I've witnessed a lot of you hypocritical bastards goof off and giggle like a bunch of elementary school kids that just seen Debbie Does Dallas for the first time. Then when someone calls you on it, you tell them to chill out and that you're just messing around. If you're going to hold an applicant to a certain set of standards, you better damn fucking well make sure that you, yourself, meet those standards. Understand that I enjoy life and like to kid around every now and then, therefore I don't hold applicants to some great, unobtainable standard of maturity. You also can't hold someone being hot headed against them when I've witnessed some of you degrade the fuck out of someone, myself included when I first joined here.

In short, stop voting in applicants simply because they begin to kiss your ass and worship the ground you walk on when they're poll is up. Gabe is a straight up guy and you all are coming off with some dumb shit right now. Seriously, how can you say the kid hasn't change when I don't ever see you on the Primary, but see Gabe every single day.

/rant

If you guys wanna talk about this, PM me or send something in the Regular's Skype. It's time to actually try to make a difference here and stop arguing about it. Gabe is on everyday leading, giving advice, and being 20x more productive than 75% of the Regular base.

Discussion is good for the community. How do things get done without anyone talking about it at all? "Arguing" is how you get things done. Sure, people have different opinions that can't be swayed at all through discussion, but some people's opinions can be swayed by discussion. Look at the "Barrier to Entry" thread by Krause in the Regular discussion section as an example. Just because there are some hostilities over opinions because some people try to make discussions a personal matter, doesn't mean ALL discussion is bad. 

Some people think that Gabe shouldn't be a Regular right now. Instead of posting negative shit destroying anyone's character that posts negatively about Gabe, continue to discuss why he should be a Regular like you did in some parts of your post. Currently, I don't think Gabe should be a Regular. I also don't think that anyone's personal character should be targeted in this thread other than Gabe's because that is what the thread is about: Gabe's character.

You're right, but the hypocrisy and double standard here is getting me a little pissed. I feel that if you don't even play on the damn server or have interactions with the applicant, you can't judge their character. Period. It's beginning to get to where ArmA, the reason we're all here, is second to political nonsense on the forum. It then spills over into TS and makes my day shitty.  

You're right, but the hypocrisy and double standard here is getting me a little pissed. I feel that if you don't even play on the damn server or have interactions with the applicant, you can't judge their character. Period. It's beginning to get to where ArmA, the reason we're all here, is second to political nonsense on the forum. It then spills over into TS and makes my day shitty.  

If this is the problem, a discussion should be made about it, or problem brought up elsewhere, rather than Gabe's Regular thread. Discussions about non-applicant related issues will hurt the applicant's poll and has in the past done so.

I voted yes on this Regular poll. 

So what he has had problems in the past? Anybody can change if they really wanted, and Gabe has shown continuous improvement throughout the time of this poll and his last.

I hope to see him improve as a Regular. 

The most important metric to me of a regular position, beyond what it "means" and so on and so forth, is the powers they get. In this case they get the Regular powers to kick (and briefly ban, but less important) people from in game and Teamspeak. Now, neither of these things are really all that, but all the same. I don't think I would be comfortable with Gabe having even such simple on demand powers based on a variety of my own personal experiences with him - He is emotionally high strung and prone to aggressive, kneejerk reactions. He's a good guy all around otherwise, but his flaw is particularly grating for this sort of position.

Heck, if it weren't for this then I wouldn't find it hard to believe if you managed to get a position like GM far down the road! However, as it is I honestly don't think you'll be able to shake that negative reputation for some time even if you do improve. Which you haven't, yet, besides.

The most important metric to me of a regular position, beyond what it "means" and so on and so forth, is the powers they get. In this case they get the Regular powers to kick (and briefly ban, but less important) people from in game and Teamspeak. Now, neither of these things are really all that, but all the same. I don't think I would be comfortable with Gabe having even such simple on demand powers based on a variety of my own personal experiences with him - He is emotionally high strung and prone to aggressive, kneejerk reactions. He's a good guy all around otherwise, but his flaw is particularly grating for this sort of position.

Heck, if it weren't for this then I wouldn't find it hard to believe if you managed to get a position like GM far down the road! However, as it is I honestly don't think you'll be able to shake that negative reputation for some time even if you do improve. Which you haven't, yet, besides.

When admin, sometimes a strong tone is needed to get points across, especially when people are fooling around or not listening. If I were to abuse my powers, I would be polled for removal or banned in a heartbeat. If you could PM me or talk to me on TS regarding these personal experiences you've had with me, it would help me narrow down specifics for the problems you claim I have.

Thank You for your criticism,

Gabe

Sure Gabe. You for fill my personal requirements for being a regular as well as the ones listed in the charter. Albeit I believe given time you'll become a little more "regular mature" adhering to the status quo, and at the moment I believe a yes is in order.

I said last poll that I thought Gabe was too immature at the time for this, and had a tendency to explode, well, all I can say is I watched him develop ever since the last poll, and he fixed many of the issues presented, became more active within the community, and just managed to keep his cool in most situations, he appears to also be very interested in getting further involved into the community, which in my opinion, is the basic requirement of a Regular, not everyone enjoys roleplaying this whole political business, which involves backstabbing and plots to take others down, however voting and being active in discussion is indeed necessary, and if I remember correctly, Gabe has been giving his opinion in multiple of those, although most non-regular posts just get skipped over.

I believe that Gabe has matured greatly from his last poll. From what I have seen he would make an excellent Regular.

Best of luck.

Would vote: Yes.

Trial by fire - (removing due to immaturity if problems happens when he become regular)

Edited by enex

Damn this is a hard one. One of the most ambitious, hard-working members UO has, and one of the most knowledgeable players too, eager to help, and both a competent and willing leader which in itself really helps getting missions going. However still suffering from the impulsiveness of youth that is quite unfitting for a Regular and indeed keen to take things too personal.

Excellent future-Regular-material, but I am leaning towards a "not yet", just like I did with GreenDemon. I think Gabe needs a few hard slaps in the face by reality (called "aging") before being of a mind that I would like to see in a Reg.

Edited by Inkompetent

I have to admit, it's a little weird reading that much negative feedback to Gabe's poll, because I've never had a single bad experience with him. He is a competent CO, good Admin and generally a good person to have around.

A solid yes from me.

To round up perceptions of a rather controversial, even poll:

Pro's:

Excellent Leader
Versatile, Deep Knowledge of UO Procedure and Roles
Very Supportive of Newcomers and the Community (e.g. creating maps for the server, administrating server)

Con's:

Impulsive Personality
Controlling

In conclusion, following these above, it seems whilst he possesses both the knowledge and ability to lead along with being a soldier, he's not perceived to have the 'right' character - as in a rational, stable approach overall - to be a regular which the community thinks/believes has higher demands on responsibility/composure.

For my own reference and understanding, could any one here by any chance tell me (PM me on forums) when the last time you recall me being controlling or impulsive? I am not denying I was once like this, but between my last poll and this one, I have controlled myself. I would like to know if you have truly seen me behave this way since my last poll, or this is carry-over events from before my first poll.

I would appreciate it,

Gabe

Edited by Gabee

These people be wack gabe, I think you have improved greatly since the last poll and I haven't seen you do any of that. People just have their opinions and refuse to change them.

I have to admit, it's a little weird reading that much negative feedback to Gabe's poll, because I've never had a single bad experience with him. He is a competent CO, good Admin and generally a good person to have around.

A solid yes from me.

It could be because you are not on as often when these other people are on with Gabe. There may be personality traits that are hidden whilst you are not there playing.