UnitedOperations

2.x Operations - Reorganization/Condensing

2.x Operations - Modification  

45 members have voted

1. 1. 2.x Operations - Reorganization/Condensing

• Yes
    • No

Our current 2.0 Operations section, while usable is a mess to read, many line items under it's entry do not give much in the way of contextual information as a single entry.

I would like to propose an organization rewrite of the existing 2.0 into a new format/layout that maintains the same information, while giving room to grow and address concerns for each topic it covers.

Operations are the standard method of community involvement in the decision making process and can be enacted across all aspects of the community:

2.1 - Operations of the community are decided by fully inducted Regulars.

2.2 - Any Regular may propose an operation by posting a forum poll. Standard operations (standard being all except those operations specifically defined in this document)

2.3 - Only Regulars may participate in votes and each is allotted the power of one (1) vote.

2.4 - Officers have the power of one (1) vote, as per their status as Regulars, in operations of the community.

2.5 - Proposals shall require a minimum two-thirds (2/3) majority vote to be passed.

2.6 - Polls shall be created with a seven (7) day expiry.

2.7 - Polls shall have the "Public Poll" option disabled.

2.8 - Polls shall be created as anonymous forum polls, with the exception of Regularship and Officer proposals.

2.9 - If a proposal is not accepted, it may be resubmitted after a minimum of two (2) weeks from poll conclusion has elapsed.

2.0 Operations are the standard method of community involvement in the decision making process and can be enacted across all aspects of the community.

2.1 - Standard Operations - All Operations are considered a Standard Operation, unless otherwise modified.

2.1.1 -- Regulars are granted one (1) vote in Operations, additional titles gain no additional voting allotment/value.

2.1.2 -- Operations last for seven (7) days, and require a two-third (2/3) majority to pass.

2.1.3 -- Operation are presented as an anonymous request, excluding Regular/Officer Proposals.

2.1.4 -- Votes shall be counted in an Automated/Anonymous method.

2.1.5 -- Failed Operations may not be resubmitted until two (2) weeks from it's scheduled conclusion.

Information Specifics, Intent of Changes

"2 - Operations are the standard method of community involvement in the decision making process and can be enacted across all aspects of the community."

[EXISTING] This section is Unchanged - save for a Colon to a period.

"2.1 - Standard Operations - All Operations are considered a Standard Operation, unless otherwise modified."

[NEW] Establishes existing Standard Operations, as the basis for all Operations in future unless specifically defined.

This is the definition of a Standard Operation, and establishes that all votes are Standard Operations unless specifically modified from the following definition.

This is the base template for all operations within the community, and gives a framework for exceptions to be defined later or existing (reg/officer/addon/etc.)

[PERSONAL]  While already existing as the norm, this needed to be defined as a category, to work with later Operation Types, to be defined as their own categories.

"2.1.1 -- Regulars are granted one (1) vote in Operations, additional titles gain no additional voting allotment/value."

[EXISTING 2.3 and 2.4] Merged and Condensed

2.3 defined regulars as having 1 vote - (UNCHANGED)

2.4 defined officers as having no additional voting power

[EXPANDED] Officers was a singular title, this expansion defines regulars as being the ONLY voting power within the community

"2.1.2 -- Operations last for seven (7) days, and require a two-third's (2/3) majority to pass."

[EXISTING 2.5 and 2.6] Merged and Condensed

2.5 Condensed with no change in meaning.

2.6 Condensed with no change in meaning.

"2.1.3 -- Operation are presented as an anonymous request, excluding Regular/Officer Proposals."

[EXITING 2.8] Voted Charter Change Modified

[CONDENSED] Meaning is unchanged.

[PERSONAL] With this formatting change, Regular/Officer Polls are a different type of poll as defined in 2.1, they would gain their own section within operations at a later time, should this pass.

Those individual restrictions would then be migrated into the appropriate sections should they exist, but in another poll.

Due to this being a Voted Change, it needs to exist within this format/structure change until the vote is completed and further organization can be conducted. (The intent is to not change meaning)

"2.1.4 -- Votes shall be counted in an Automated/Anonymous method."

[EXITING 2.7] Modified wording with no intended change in procedure, prior wording was "forum software" specific.

[EXPANDED]  Automated/Anonymous, defined to mean that no individual will be counting votes and seeing whom voted for what.

"2.1.5 -- Failed Operations may not be resubmitted until (2) two weeks from it's scheduled conclusion."

[EXISTING 2.9] Meaning Unchanged/Clarified based upon Procedure.

[EXPANDED] Modified wording, Canceled or closed polls have always been an issue, this expands to define that a poll's normal expiration date is the benchmark for when a failed vote may be considered, ended.

[PERSONAL] This change in wording does allow for polls to be closed, where requested. While not my favorite option, it grants a poll requestor to remove the proposal. This change while not my personal view on being required, will address issues we have had with "too much drama" surrounding polls for topics that are either no longer valid, or for nominations that no longer are valid. Letting a poll run to it's completion when the topic may have been exhausted and invalidated based on a Ban or other such manner only let such issues linger and become more toxic to the community. This is hopefully a compromise to allow for things that "need" to be closed, to happen and not drag a topic on for longer than is required. Polls still need to run their full length, and may not be decided "early" as spelled out in the new 2.1.2 (unless modified by a specific poll type)

[PERSONAL]  While I did not intend to change meanings, some of these wording adjustments have made modifications. I would urge you to read my notes and provide feedback if there are concerns with this wording proposal.

This poll requires a 3/4 vote and 2 Weeks.

Give it another grammar pass (or two).

The devil is in the details with those kinds of operations.

Especially the correct use of the apostrophe seems to be a problem these days.

Give it another grammar pass (or two).

The devil is in the details with those kinds of operations.

Especially the correct use of the apostrophe seems to be a problem these days.

Yeah, because 6 weeks of delay over apostrophes is exactly what we need. 

Voted yes, but I think much simpler language should be used in the future. Why do we call voting on a motion an "operation" yet we don't define it as such?

I like overall.Keep it short and simple, my only crutch is choice of words.( allotment )

But is not a big deal as is very subjective.

Voted yes, but I think much simpler language should be used in the future. Why do we call voting on a motion an "operation" yet we don't define it as such?

Because that is what Section 2 in the Charter is called...

This was not an intent to change meanings, but to simply condense at this time.

I like overall.Keep it short and simple, my only crutch is choice of words.( allotment )

Allotment was chosen in addition to Value, to indicate that there could not be a granted, addition to number of votes that any title would be given, nor would their votes count in any higher value.

It was the simplest single word used in this case.

No addition quantity of votes, nor value of said votes.

Because that is what Section 2 in the Charter is called...

This was not an intent to change meanings, but to simply condense at this time.

Understood, I was just voicing my opinion on the use of language in general in the Charter.

Yeah, because 6 weeks of delay over apostrophes is exactly what we need.

Who said anything about a 6 week delay?

It takes 10 minutes to have a few people read over the proposal and maybe another 20 minutes to have a short discussion on TeamSpeak in regards to wording before putting the poll up.

The incorrect use of the apostrophes ("two-thirds" became "two-third's" & "it's scheduled conclusion") is just a minor detail that shows to me this possibly did not take place.

I personally never had any problems understanding the meaning and intent of the charter, but we have a sufficient amount of people in this community that are capable of misinterpreting and misquoting even the simplest of formulations of this document on multiple occasions to further their personal goals and agendas.

I fully support condensing and simplifying the more complex parts of our charter and SOPs, but it has to be done with as little margin for error as possible in order not to create more loopholes for those "internet lawyers" to exploit.

This is not meant as a slight to the person who did the rewrite, who I believe had the best intentions.

These two quotes put in different words what I mean by the above:

2.0 Operations are the standard method of community involvement in the decision making process and can be enacted across all aspects of the community.

2.1 - Standard Operations - All Operations are considered a Standard Operation, unless otherwise modified.
2.1.1 -- Regulars and above are granted one (1) vote in Operations.
2.1.2 -- Operations last for seven (7) days, and require a two-third's (2/3) majority to pass.
2.1.3 -- Operations are presented as an anonymous request, excluding Regular/Officer Proposals.
2.1.4 -- Votes shall be counted using an automated and anonymous method.
2.1.5 -- Failed Operations may not be resubmitted until two (2) weeks from it's scheduled conclusion.

My changes were to make 2.1.1 even simpler, pluralize 'Operations' in 2.1.3, remove capitalization from 2.1.4 and rearranged wording (full 'and'), and adjusted the position of the '(2)' in 2.1.5 to match convention.

However, even if my proposed changes don't make it in to the final copy this gets a yes vote from me as I was mostly nitpicking.

//heckman