Sign in to follow this  
piejoe21

Thinking of getting into EVE

Hey guys, I have recently been thinking of getting into EVE. I have watched many videos, and it look really cool! I just had a few questions that I was wondering if I could get some of the pros advice on:

1. How do you really advance ship types? I have been watching vids of people from supercarriers to frigates, and was wondering how I get those?
  2. Is the game slow paced, or more of an fast paced action game?
  3. How does the in-game economy work (simplified answers are ok)
  4. Do I have to pay for anything other than playing, and is it P2W (pay to win)
  5. Are you guys active? I think the experience would be much better with other players, but is that soemthing you guys can deliver?

Thanks,

Piejoe21

1) Generally speaking, you don't advance. Each ship has a strong and weak point. Just keep this in mind before you start getting that battleship into your dreams. Watch this video

2) Slow and fast paced. It is hard to develop on this topic, but let's just say that if you can do it faster, you should.

3) Like real world. In fact, some high-end alliances hire RL economists. 

4) No. However, you can pay for PLEXs. This item allow the player to extend his account for 30 days and are worth around 500 million at the moment. And lets say that 500 million isn't THAT much.

5) We are active but we still in processes of growing up. Boon should have more info on this.

Edited by W-Cephei

Hey guys, I have recently been thinking of getting into EVE. I have watched many videos, and it look really cool! I just had a few questions that I was wondering if I could get some of the pros advice on:

1. How do you really advance ship types? I have been watching vids of people from supercarriers to frigates, and was wondering how I get those?
  5. Are you guys active? I think the experience would be much better with other players, but is that soemthing you guys can deliver?

Thanks,

Piejoe21

1: You need to train into ship types, this can be anything from 1 hour to 3 weeks, but you also need to bear in mind the support skills, for example you can be in a battleship within a week, but it takes several months to have skills to be worth anything

2: Slow paced for most things, PVP is very fast paced, smaller fights rarely last more than 2 or 3 minutes

3: It works like a RL economy, CCP has several economists on its staff that moniter the eve economy, as do many major alliances, there is little to no ccp intervention in the economy, 99% of what you see has been built by players

4: No, infact you can play for free if you can afford to buy PLEX, i dont bother as 15e is not much and i like to spend my money on stuff that goes boom

5: No idea, im in a different alliance, we are active but i wont advertise it here. Ask Boon about Impact Theory. And your correct, I will often log off if none of my corp mates are online

As a heads up, whoever gives you the link gets 500,000,000. Might wanna ask boon if he plans on giving you a piece of that. And just in case this post gets removed like doyal's, I'm PMing this response of the thread  to you.  o7

Edited by Mono The Elderish

Doyal, Mono, i dont even know where to begin, but you are clearly misinformed, In this corp the new players do  get a part of whatever gift,  the link Owner  has picked for themselves,(mostly plex's if there got any sense  which can be converted to either game time, or sold ingame for isk) , sure they dont get a massive chunk straight away because that's pointless, all they would do is go spunk the isk up the wall on pointless things they arent ever gunna use, and complain that they have no isk and have no way to make it,

however imho and as its stated that gift isnt for the new player otherwise it would be given to them automatically by ccp, its boons link, so therefore its up to him where it goes, which funny enough happens to be the corp as a whole.)

il tell you what does happen with whatever was picked, it goes into the corp, and is gradually given to them as they progress and learn the game. be that skill books, modules, even ships
how do i know all this? because i help and try to guide the new players as i see them,  from time to time if i hear they need something il actually go get them for them for free, il help them to build ships. il help them rat and make isk, sure i dont "claim back" the isk iv spent or given them but it keeps erm happy and helps them learn the game

Currently every bit of isk the corp is getting, is being invested into little corp features like ship replacement, newbie training and the industrial wing which i just so happen to run, and im planning on providing atleast three ships to each new corpie who joins and really tries to get into the game, something like a Ratting ship, Indy and a Alliance doctrine ship so there ready to go 

tbh under normal circumstances I'd invite you two to join us, that would allow you to see how we do things for yourselves but i tried helping mono in the past and he threw it in  my face which wasn't appreciated,  and Doyal, iv got no idea who you are, and iv never heard you name mentioned before

On another note 500mil really isnt that much, out in a null the most basic of ship hulls can cost in excess of 300 mil and thats before fitting and ammo, coupled with drones, insurance and rigs, 
Eve isnt a pay to win game, when it comes to plex its more a case " pay to afford to  more ships youll lose 5mins later to stupidity"

buy yeah questions, counter arguments feel free to contact me privately because what your doing is childish

Theres my £10 
done

Thanks,

Piejoe21

1. Know that this game is a time investment. Real time. Training to fly those ships, overly simply stated, is a matter of purchasing skill books to learn required skills required to fly those ships. The nice thing is that your training doesn't stop when you are not logged in, its always running as long as you keep your 'queue' full.

To get those crazy ships, frankly, without buying a character, it could take you a half a year or more specifically training for one of those ships.

2. As previously stated, the game is slow for most of the time, but you are occupied flying places, researching / reading / planning, what you're doing next. During combat, PVE or PVP, its generally a quick affair, though some PVE can be more drawn out lasting 20min or more.

3. Game economy is interesting. There is always money to be made killing AI in asteroid belts, or special 'anomalies' around space in every system. You can move goods from one area to the next, work the low prices, higher prices, supply and demand. You can train into manufacturing, build stuff from materials mined by mining (or bought on the market). You could also kill humans then  loot their ships of gear plus the pilots tears... :wink:

4. Paying monthly is all that is required. If you get good enough at making 'ISK' you can buy PLEX (gametime) on the market and play for free. Alternately, if your hard pressed for ISK, you can buy a plex and sell it on the market for some cash.

5. A bunch of us are very active. Personally I'm on almost everyday for several hours. 

If you want my recommendation as a player who was basically a 30 day old character before I joined the UO corp - spend 30 days in one of the good learning corps like Eve University. After that, you've hopefully picked a progression you want to follow, look us up. As a extremely low skilled player, there isn't a lot of productive stuff you can do where our corp is now. We're happy to help you out with questions, but I doubt any of us could promise to come fly with you on a regular basis due to the logistics of it. It's hard to explain that part without being in the  game and having a feel for just how expansive (and dangerous) it is. Your first 30 should be running the very good tutorial missions which give you a  bunch of good rewards (ships, skill books, ISK, etc) but more importantly, training on all the things there is in EVE.

At that point you're training into a ship that can be fitted with good kit and can handle itself. That's when you can take this game and do whatever you want with it.

As for the 'banter' going to and fro in the thread, long story short our corp was messed with (lots of cloak and dagger in eve too, kinda cool, kinda a pain in the ass... lol). The corp struck back in said cloak and dagger manner, achieving devastating results. Thus the ill will being exhibited.

Oh the joys and perils of EVE.

I'm idling in the UO EVE teamspeak channel most nights. Hit me up if you have any questions I might be able to answer.

GL.

First and last warning..Stop the bashing, trolling, etc. If you continue to behave this way, there will be repercussions.