Sign in to follow this  
andrei

Suggestions for new mods?

Hello guys! I am planning on returning to my activities as a mod maker.

Therefore, I´d like to ask what you guys would like to use in the UO repository? What are we short in?

As a guidance I will leave 3 options that I had think about. But you can also make new suggestions.

The idea is a small pack with lets say 4 different soldier models and some vehicles (reskins or if we have available at The Lost Brothers, new models).

So I though:

1- North Korea Addons

2- Iran Armed Forces Addons

3- Iraqi Addons (actual)

Everything I do on mods is based on real photographs and videos. So no matter what is released you can expect highly representative models/textures.

Any insights?

Andrei

Rambo that information is a bit outdated since the removal of Tora Bora / Panthera, so we actually do have quite a bit of room left.

andrei, if the addon is reasonably sized (try to keep it under 100MB total, and that's only if you're doing an entire faction / army, ~20-50 MB would be the sweet spot for a few soldiers / vehicles), and is of decent quality, I'm sure we'd add it in.

North Korean / Chinese equipment, men, and vehicles are simply impossible to represent in our current modpack, so I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in them.

North Korean / Chinese equipment, men, and vehicles are simply impossible to represent in our current modpack, so I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in them.

Actually it's perfectly possible to represent North Korea with the current units we have in the mod pack, as the North Korean military uses vast amounts of outdated Soviet equipment.

In fact Iran and Iraq also use a lot of outdated soviet kit well, and so for this reason I would not suggest doing a comprehensive addon pack for any of these nations, but instead a mix of some of the more interesting vehicles and equipment from each country. This would avoid duplication and make the mod pack more adaptable. For example the Iranians use the Chieftain tank, a British design, which if it was in the mod pack could be used for British cold war missions as well.  The M48 was also heavily used by the Iranians, but could also be used in U.S Vietnam missions or West German missions. The Chonma-ho tank was built by the North Koreans, but then sold to the Iranians and used heavily in the Iran Iraq war.

This would be more interesting than a reskin of a BMP or a T72 and really allow mission makers to do a variety of missions with different countries and different time periods.

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/19793-modelling/?p=245306

Maybe you should coordinate with the other modders and make the best possible for the available space. Having multiple people working on multiple small addons might not be as good as having multiple people working together on one addon and make that one addon awesome.

Whatever you decide on working on, I am looking forward to it.

I want increased presence of Dutch units.

I find it a total waste of time when every tiny little European here asks for their countries mil skins when its basically all the same nato shit. If someone could make a countries models (East-Asian, modern middle-east) are far more useful to create a blue versus red conflict rather than adding another bloody country that barely been in large scale conflicts. 

Who the hell does not want to try a Nato vs Iran or a US versus North Korea in a large scale invasion...

Just think of the amazing stories to be told, going after nuke sites, taking out aggressing incursions into south Korean soil.

Frankly I am bored of bullying Arabs and mythical Russian combat.

I find it a total waste of time when every tiny little European here asks for their countries mil skins when its basically all the same nato shit. If someone could make a countries models (East-Asian, modern middle-east) are far more useful to create a blue versus red conflict rather than adding another bloody country that barely been in large scale conflicts. 

Who the hell does not want to try a Nato vs Iran or a US versus North Korea in a large scale invasion...

Just think of the amazing stories to be told, going after nuke sites, taking out aggressing incursions into south Korean soil.

Frankly I am bored of bullying Arabs and mythical Russian combat.

Excuse me? I think you don't have your facts straight, last time I checked the Netherlands were involved in large scale operations pretty much the same as the British/Americans. Ofcourse not in a huge force because, let's face it. We're a tiny country, yes.

Why do you have to be all mad about a simple request where you don't have a influence on, calm down and get your stuffs sorted before throwing out another "rant" at me.

Excuse me? I think you don't have your facts straight, last time I checked the Netherlands were involved in large scale operations pretty much the same as the British/Americans. Ofcourse not in a huge force because, let's face it. We're a tiny country, yes.

Why do you have to be all mad about a simple request where you don't have a influence on, calm down and get your stuffs sorted before throwing out another "rant" at me.

He's saying we need to focus on the most prominent nations, otherwise everyone will want their home country added.

There is no Korean terrain.

I would like to see you make more houses, commercial buildings, municipal buildings, vegatation, and other misc. objects that are commonly found in European towns and villages. Same could be done at a later time for east asian and middle eastern things, though those are more common via OA.

He's saying we need to focus on the most prominent nations, otherwise everyone will want their home country added.

Yes ofcourse, would you not? There are several dutch missions who are using the 1960's/80's ones while set in modern, or these missions sometimes just use SF like we're a bunch of l33t super soldiers while we're really not.

I'm not complaining, but if the modeller here wants suggestions I have every right to suggest my own nation. Is that wrong?

Buildings, if possible with post-communist decaying panel buildings, factories, power plants, with several rooms and obstacles like in the Stalker series.

Small-size winter camo for russian infantry and BMP-2, US Army, scheetarn for the bw units perhaps.

Well, if you are after making brand new content then I suppose a F-16/Eurofighter that is Ace compatible (You're the worst, modding community.) would get a fair amount of use. A-10s are fat and kind of a little too strong and Harriers tend to be out of place.

Beyond that... Eh. We don't use much of our modpack as is. I haven't played a Isreali or a Egyptian mission in a while, while most people only sparingly things from the German pack. Hell, even on a base equipment thing we kind of vary around a lot - The Jackal is the only British vehicle I have seen, for instance, to memory. I think I have seen a M60 in one mission in all of UO, and even that is the silly/amazing engineering one.

I know I would enjoy more "enemy" nations that actually matter, but that too isn't really going to be a thing. Most of the go-tos use Soviet-bloc vehicles, so that's already handled. France is a possibility, I guess, but that's a massive undertaking for a game we'll likely be shifting away from not too long from now.

Eh.

Finnish M05 camo, but that's just me loving it personally.

Theres summer and winter versions of it. Also, RK 95 TP.

There already seems to be a modpack http://www.fdfmod.org/ made for it. (Urban Jaeger below)

m05_spessu3new01.jpg

And I also like m05 winter camo.

24eb.jpg

Edited by Omena

Lets see, with the new addition of a winter map. WINTER UNITS, WINTER UNITS, and more WINTER UNITS

Lets see, with the new addition of a winter map. WINTER UNITS, WINTER UNITS, and more WINTER UNITS

With the addition of the new winter map this seems super viable at the moment. Scandinavian ski troops pls.

winter units can be done without a addon, infantry can have hidden selections that allow you to add a custom textures in the mission file, this will save space.

Edited by Corax

Alrighty Im just going to throw out something Ive always kinda wanted.

A mod that allows you to use binoculars while turned out of a vehicle.

With the addition of the new winter map this seems super viable at the moment. Scandinavian ski troops pls.

YES!

21-2008-002.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=93d4