Sign in to follow this  
Macaco

Self-funding monthly cost

Eve has always looked pretty interesting but I just don't feel like 15$ a month is worth it (give the current factors in my life). How hard is it to make enough isk in game to play for your monthly subscription? Is it something only the best of the best can achieve, or is it possible for anyone who is willing to put the time in, and if the second, how much time is it that is needed(ballpark average)?

I've read somewhere that paying is a must for the first month, and if you're putting some hours a day on market you should be able to sustain yourself from second month. But if someone boosts you with ISK from the start you should be able to pay with ISK for sub when your 21-day trial ends. But you must be good on market. Mining and killing won't net you enough in the beginning.

What Ice-Man said is pretty true,

In my experience you wont make enough isk while still playing a reasonable amount of time (After all its a game not a job) Until your 4-6 months old

As for market stuff I dont know anything about it!! And the only guy I do know who does it does so much other stuff I dunno how much it impacts his finances!!

But imo eve is well worth 15 a month!!

If you PM me your email i can send you an extended trial (21 days) that should be enough time to decide you hate it or to get your teeth into it!!

When your sole purpose of playing the game is to pay for playing the game. It goes from a game to a job.

I usually manage to make a single freighter a month using two accounts which is about 1.5/6 billion ISK month which funds PLEX for both. On top of that I run wormhole sites which brings in about 200/300m per night if the going is good. Its not hard to make isk when you get a good system going but like others have said, its difficult if not impossible to do so within the first month. I paid twice for my main character and never for my other since early 2012 when I started playing again.

It's all what you want to do with the game. What you find fun might not always be the most profitable, or maybe it will. As most have said, without skilling up into a viable role, the first month or two will likely be a paid adventure. Still, I think the game is worth it. I ended up subbing another account.

Without going too far off topic, if you're gonna do it and want to pay your own way HAVE A PLAN. Then STICK TO IT. Lots of guys can help set up a skill plan to get you where you need to be as soon as possible. If you start to stray it will benefit you in learning the game and probably appreciating it more, but it will take you a significant amount of time longer to arrive at your goal.

Also, I've heard depending where you sign up for the game, you can get a 'booster' of some kind that increases your learning of skills for your new character for the first two weeks by a stupid amount. Find out about it and do it! 

GL o7

When your sole purpose of playing the game is to pay for playing the game. It goes from a game to a job.

This.  It gets stressful.

Ive played EVE since 2006 and only payed with cash after being inactive for a while.

New players in EVE will have a tough time getting the 500ish million together for a PLEX, but its far from impossible, depending on your location, corporation, alliance.

For example, a new player, lets say 2 weeks old, can get into a mining barge and mine ice.

If you have t2 ice harvester and t2 upgrades, you will mine 43blocks of ice per hour, without any bonusses from your fleet.

Im not with the corp advertised here, but am in 0.0, so im taking my area as an example, if we assume you mine the isotope ice, you can sell the isotopes here for 878isk/unit, each block of ice contains 350units, totalling 307.000isk/unit, times your yield per hour = 307.000,- x 43 = 13,2mil.

500/13,2mil=37.9 hrs of mining.

I would say thats a job, but that is calculated with a 2week old character, if you have a corporation that does mining often, theyr likely to have fleet bonusses which increase your yield by up to 40? %.

That would bring it down to 27hrs. (about 1hr per day)...

If you are a 45day old character, you can fly a mackinaw, which yields (including bonusses) around 98blocks/hour = 30million, so you'd need 16hours, thats 30minutes every day.

Thats the industrial approach, if you go for a combat approach, its alot more dependant on your ship and luck, but i would say you are looking at a slower startup, with eventual higher rewards.

Carrier pilots (year old or more) can rack in up to 35million per 20minutes, not counting rare spawns. (so that would be 5hrs a month for a PLEX).

I looked up the corporation and found out that we used to be in the same alliance, shame you left...

I market trade to pay for all my stuff. If you figure it out then you can make a lot of money! Plenty for a few plex/game time a month.

Market trading does require initial investment though. You cant buy shit without money! - I got my initial injection by super hardcore mining for a few weeks which got me 1 billion isk.

I now have a relatively steady income of ~350-600m a week just by running my little EvE 'shop'. - I do have access to it during the day though so can tab in and out whenever I want.

Give it a try for a few weeks, if you like it, sub, if not delete the game! Use the trial to get to know things, learn the ropes and get to grips. If you like it, sub up and do the grown up stuff. If you try and bust your balls earning money to pay for plex then you will get bored FAST. Once you get better at the game then money will start building up and up until your comfortable with throwing a few hundred million at a LOL ship just to die....