Sign in to follow this  
Devin^

NYPD may be restricted in suspect desciprtions...

First off this is just absurd. There is a bill currently put in place in NYC that may essential blindfold the police on what they can pass as descriptions. How do you feel safe in a world where being politically correct is valued over men and women of the law doing their job? Essentially, this bill would make it so the police can not profile suspects based on race/gender/religion/medical conditions (i.e. Suspect has a limp) So what am I to do here? Am I just supposed to say suspect is wearing; a grey hoodie, blue jeans, and some sneakers and hope they don't change their wardrobe?

Your thoughts on this matter?

Better description of what I am talking about

http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/6283125-NYPD-unions-say-bill-would-blindfold-officers/

Edit: Grammar corrections and wording

Edited by Devin^

For the record: I do not live in New York City, but i am merely pointing this out because i have friends and family up in NYC. And also my fear of it spreading to other cities.

Fucking ridiculous, this is.

My advice:

Stop living in such a  shitty city.

But i do like Fighters' advice haha

I just have to wonder how much more those people can tolerate, between Nanny Bloomberg and now this?

Jesus, I would've left a long time ago.

It is pretty sad that even Bloomberg is against this though.

Edited by Fighter

Almost as bad as the law precedent being created currently in the UK saying that the families of soldiers killed in combat can sue the military.

Fucking ridiculous, this is.

My advice:

Stop living in such a  shitty city.

As stupid as this bill is, its doubly as stupid to call New York City shitty. Not only the greatest city in our country, but certainly one of the best in the world. Sometimes Fighter you are a complete retard, it's hilarious.

As stupid as this bill is, its doubly as stupid to call New York City shitty. Not only the greatest city in our country, but certainly one of the best in the world. Sometimes Fighter you are a complete retard, it's hilarious.

However, I digress...

from offtopic

back to

How the fuck is it racial profiling to say "This black guy wearing a white hoodie with a broken leg stole from x place"

I mean, if you're looking for a specific person, the color of their shirt alone isn't going to tell you shit.

Exactly my point! It makes no sense! If i cant say a Latino, Female, tall, with an eye patch, and wearing a cross around her neck, and can only use superficial descriptions. How can the officers do their job?

This.  It is well known that fighter has the tendency to be a retard.  

You guys might want to actually do some research before you take anything you read on the internet to be truth.

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1444267&GUID=BCB20F20-50EF-4E9B-8919-C51E15182DBF&Options=ID%7cText%7c&Search=1080

None of this is true.

lol.

You guys might want to actually do some research before you take anything you read on the internet to be truth.

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1444267&GUID=BCB20F20-50EF-4E9B-8919-C51E15182DBF&Options=ID%7cText%7c&Search=1080

None of this is true.

Although it's not the issue targeted by the legislation, it is a side-effect that the NYPD wants to call attention to. From reading it I can definitely see where a lawyer could sue based on profiling of a target - no matter if it was a stop-and-frisk or a manhunt targeting a known man with a specified race / gender / ethnicity.

ie. Law enforcement can be called to a scene by a witness who describes the suspect using race / gender / ethnicity, by which these officers use to track-down and apprehend the subject. This can be argued as bias-based profiling which was "the determinative factor in initiating law enforcement action against [the] individual".

It has its benefits, but it was very poorly written and creates many more limitations then the NYPD can tolerate.

Edited by Naught

Dispatch this is Unit 20, we have a robbery in progress.

Can you give a description of the suspect.

Uhhhhh.... he has nice hair its blonde and long and straight.... I wish I had hair.... Uhhh the suspect is W- ..... wearing a white hollister shirt...

In responce to crackman, there was a big thing in New Jersey and Pennsylvania in the 80's where State Troopers would randomly pull over Black Males on Motorcycles because research was showing that at the time these men were the largest majority of people running drugs.

Edited by Imcraez

Although it's not the issue targeted by the legislation, it is a side-effect that the NYPD wants to call attention to. From reading it I can definitely see where a lawyer could sue based on profiling of a target - no matter if it was a stop-and-frisk or a manhunt targeting a known man with a specified race / gender / ethnicity.

ie. Law enforcement can be called to a scene by a witness who describes the suspect using race / gender / ethnicity, by which these officers use to track-down and apprehend the subject. This can be argued as bias-based profiling which was "the determinative factor in initiating law enforcement action against [the] individual".

It has its benefits, but it was very poorly written and creates many more limitations then the NYPD can tolerate.

The NYPD doesn't want to call attention to anything. It's the police union that does. A police officer can be sued for racial profiling with or without this legislation. When a person says, "A black guy stole my wallet," and then the police go arrest a black person, this would be considered in violation of this legislation, as race was the determinative factor. If a person said, "A black guy wearing a green jacket and blue pants stole my wallet," race would not be the determinative factor. The legislation seeks to bar race from being the sole factor in determining police action. This is all irrelevant, anyway, as the only point I was trying to make is that the article linked in the original post and the content of this thread is complete bullshit.

I would never want to live there.

Ever.

It is certainly not the best city in the country in my mind. Perhaps for you, it is.

Ever.

It is certainly not the best city in the country in my mind. Perhaps for you, it is.

Have you ever been?

This is all irrelevant, anyway, as the only point I was trying to make is that the article linked in the original post and the content of this thread is complete bullshit.

I wouldn't say it is complete "bullshit" nor "irrelevant". As Naught pointed out, it IS a side-effect for the NYPD because it puts restrictions on how there job is done. It puts them at a potential risk for law suits based on race/gender/religious profiling. If they say a Hispanic man, walking with a cane, and has a goatee, and a small scar above his left eye, looks to be mid 50s. They need that information to deductively reason on who they can call suspects or not. Anybody can change clothes, dye their hair, or shave. They need Race/Gender/and Age, to be a factor.

Suggested Amendment

1. “[Racial or ethnic]Bias-based profiling” means an act of a member of the force of the police

department or other law enforcement officer that relies on actual or perceived race, [ethnicity, religion or]

national origin, color, creed, age, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or housing

status as the determinative factor in initiating law enforcement action against an individual, rather than an

individual’s behavior or other information or circumstances that links a person or persons [of a particular race,

ethnicity, religion national origin] to suspected unlawful activity."

If the police see somebody walking down the street, who matches the same; Gender,Race,Age,Disability, as the suspect but is wearing a different hoodie, it's saying that it is Biased to stop that person and ask questions. Because "Law Enforcement Action" can be as simple and legally "Justified" as stopping someone on the sidewalk to ask them some questions. Doesn't necessarily mean, cuffing and throwing them in the back of a NYPD black & white.

EDIT: Grammar and Wording

Edited by Devin^

Ever.

Have you ever been?

Keep it on topic gentlemen. This isn't about whether New York City is a good city or bad. Or if to live there or not to.

NYC is shitty in some aspect yet wonderful in others. I'm sure you're not biased or anything :)

I also just realized i misspelled Descriptions in the thread title.... *SMH*

NY. No real guns allowed. Sucks to suck. Move.

Got that right. Went to the range while at school, pretty sure all the guns they let us use were illegal in the state. They made jokes about it and how retarded the laws were. Outside of the city's in upstate New York is a bunch of "rednecks".

Sounds like a bad deal for those cops. Wanna commit a crime in NYC? Commit a minor offense, change your clothes then you're fine!! Or have your identical twin do it, you get arrested in the same area then sue the city for millions. Instant win :-p

Sounds like a bad deal for those cops. Wanna commit a crime in NYC? Commit a minor offense, change your clothes then you're fine!! Or have your identical twin do it, you get arrested in the same area then sue the city for millions. Instant win :-p

I actually had a friend get brought to the ground and cuffed by force for a crime his twin brother committed. His brother is a fuck up and a drug-addict and he instantly knew why the cops were doing it to him, after it was over his parents threaten to sue the county if this ever happened again. He has been left alone since lol