Sign in to follow this  
Herbiie

British Soldier killed in Woolwich

Your an idiot. If it wasn't for the US there would be no France. i think we repaid that debt...twice. Oh and they came kinda late to the party. Do your research mong.

Considering France existed over a thousand years before the United States... I don't understand.

Also, whether they arrived "late" to the party is irrelevant- as irrelevant as the US arriving late in both World Wars. Without the help of the French, there would be no victory at Yorktown and American leverage at Paris would have been greatly diminished.

Your an idiot. If it wasn't for the US there would be no France. i think we repaid that debt...twice. Oh and they came kinda late to the party. Do your research mong.

Is that another American acting like it was just America vs Germany?

German and Russian casualties alone in the battle of Stalingrad were higher than on the entire western front during the war.

This thread derailed, blew up, and the pieces appear to have landed in some sort of manure pile.

Yeah, the Prime Minister.

That's a pretty big person saying "terrorist" :wink:

If you think David Cameron is a "pretty big man", you're an idiot. Polls show his opinion isn't really valued that much.

Should have anticipated better than to expect a legitimate discussion, so here's me resting my case. -- Best of luck in the debacle of which nation is the "greatest" and who got where first. :sad:

WTPD0NO.gif

From a murder over Religion via Gun Rights to Nation vs Nation with a stop at World War 2.

9dd8444c_vbattach189755.jpeg

LOL.

I could see this event evolving into stricter immigration laws to be honest.

They weren't immigrants.

If someone had fired a "warning shot" at these guys what would have happened?

They would've opened up on the crowd. Good job guys! You just turned one guy being killed into 20!

ARMED POPULATIONS ARE BEST!

*edit*

At Cephei - the right to protest is one of our basic rights. They're not changing anything and to attack them would only be counter-productive.

Edited by Herbiie

oh really He'd open up on the crowd? How bout no warning shots you already know what you are doing is wrong and ammo isn't cheap No warning shots I'm shooting to kill.

The population should be armed so that the government can't allow or disallow them to be armed.

Given our government has Apache gunships, Typhoons, Challenger 2 tanks, ICBM carrying nuclear submarines, tactical nuclear warheads, etc etc just what are you suggesting arming the citizenry with to protect us from the hypothetical rogue state?

Edited by IAJT

So your saying that your military will do as it's government says and kill their own people? lol

Yes. If you think this isn't the case, especially in a country that has a democratically elected government, then you are deluded idiot.

So if your government went full corrupt and just ordered the military to start killing everyone you actually think the British Armed Forces will obey those orders?

Given our government has Apache gunships, Typhoons, Challenger 2 tanks, ICBM carrying nuclear submarines, tactical nuclear warheads, etc etc just what are you suggesting arming the citizenry with to protect us from the hypothetical rogue state?

Obviously all that fancy stuff isn't too effective if countered right (see taliban)

And I'm sure a good part of the military would not follow such orders, it's not like they are brainwashed

The population should be armed so that the government can't allow or disallow them to be armed.

That's the type of stupid yank attitude that makes the world hate America.

no that's the point...

also you shoot to kill, 1) would you really? a moments hesitation and you're dead because you pulled out a gun, thus making you a target

2) what if you miss? you get shot and so do others around you

3) you kill one/both - the soldier is still dead, so how different is this to the police shooting them?

we got rid of our guns for a reason, and we're a safer country because of it. not a country that has serious debates about whether or not schools should have armed guards.

That's the type of stupid yank attitude that makes the world hate America.

What can I say.... Haters gonna hate.

You can't occupy a country, much less suppress a population, by only using such technology. We learned as much in Iraq and continue to learn in Afghanistan.

I'm not saying a scenario of US government vs US population is likely or even feasible, but for the sake of mental exercise, if it DID happen, the government would need boots on the ground making their presence known. They would need to kick down doors and at the same time attempt at amiable relations with community leaders. Needless to say, doing as much would be much simpler if the odds of encountering a gun behind every door weren't so high. Disarming a population for tyrannical purposes isn't a new idea.

we got rid of our guns

The guns in my cabinet would attest otherwise to that.

As this thread shows, most British people do not have the foggiest clue as to the confusing mix British firearm laws or British gun culture. Outsiders have usually even less clue. All that these debates do is expose the ignorance on the topic on both sides.

Though the laws are much more restrictive than the U.S and the community is smaller, there is still vibrant and active group of British firearms owners. There are also firearms advocacy groups in this country, though it is an uphill battle. As a British gun owner, I really wish there were less restrictive and arcane laws, however, it's likely never going to be a mirror of America. The differing social, cultural and historical prevent that. You work with what you have and do the best you can. As for the British soldier killed in Woolwich, the gun laws argument moves away from the tragic fact that started this thread in to "could have, would have, should have" territory, and just arguing in perpetuity over points they know little about.

Maybe the ability for people to conceal carry weapons would have saved this soldier, but maybe not. The gun culture in the UK is almost entirely centred in rural areas, even if laws were less restrictive there's no guarantee many people would take advantage of it, or even know about it, considering the lack of education on gun laws in the UK (with many people, as shown, assuming falsely that private ownership of firearms is banned in the UK). As you can see you just end up arguing "maybes" and end up going nowhere fast.

On the other hand, if wasn't for every able man to be armed, there would not be any USA.

And therefor there is no reason for any European person to wonder why many of you people prefer owning a gun in order to protect yourself of any possibly hostile individual . That aspect should be taken into account by anyone who wishes to argue against gun ownership in your country. On the other hand I have to say, that this kind of mentality is more than retarded and damaging to your society. If noone owned a gun, really noone would be running around blabblering they would need a gun to protect themselves. Exactly because almost every person in some of your states owns a gun, mistrust is high between eachother. Think before arguing against that, in Europe noone really dreams of shooting the next best person to invade their home. I have seen enough about it and believe me, there is really no person in Europe that does not believe that your views are overly paranoid. I do not rarely see documentaries of USA people documenting on how they wish to shoot the next person to invade their home with the intent to hurt their family. While this might be part of your culture, it appears plainly retarded to any European and noone can deny that, blatantly said, it shows the signs of a failed society.

Therefor we do not want mass amounts of personal weapons in Europe. Giving everyone a weapon would set us back. And that's not the point of a developing society. Incidents like these happen, but giving everybody a weapon is a definite no-go, because it would bring more problems than it would do good.

I would not hesitate on blaming the media on you people dramatising the whole incident. What happened was terrific, but there is no point of turning everything upside down because of that, it's only what the media suggests to you. 21th century is already showing what kind of (negative) impact media makes on people.

From a murder over Religion via Gun Rights to Nation vs Nation with a stop at World War 2.

9dd8444c_vbattach189755.jpeg

That's what you call discussion.

The problem isn't that everyone has a gun, it's why they have their guns. "Any day my neigbour could break into my house and kill me and rape my wife and kidnap my kids...I better keep a loaded pistol under my pillow so I can shoot anyone who looks at my house". Such a society is just a total and utter failure

I have a couple guns at home, yet I don't threaten anyone who enters my property with it neither do I go to my school to shoot up the entire place.

Not everyone is able.

True. Weapons do get into the wrong hands though, we have seen it in your country, and we already see it in Europe. Distributing more weapons would cause even more of those problems.

I have been to London once on a school exchange and can remember how often my exchange told me to avoid certain areas; now I would not doubt anybody would like guns to get lost in those areas.

I usually don't get into conversations like this with people on the internet because they usually go nowhere. I just wanted to point out that criminals don't follow the law. They couldn't care less if you ban guns. They will still have guns of all shapes and sizes through illegal means. The only people a gun ban effects is honest law abiding citizens. Also a quick search of "Concealed Carry Owner Crime" will lead you to countless stories that never make the evening news about why it is beneficial to have responsible citizens armed.

Edited by MacEwan

So if your government went full corrupt and just ordered the military to start killing everyone you actually think the British Armed Forces will obey those orders?

I don't know about the UK, but I know they would here in the US.

Obviously all that fancy stuff isn't too effective if countered right (see taliban)

And I'm sure a good part of the military would not follow such orders, it's not like they are brainwashed

The Taliban isn't winning. If you consider suicidal raids where almost every single person dies with no appreciable impact on US or coalition forces to be something valiant and workable here than you are a nutbag.

Also the whole gun thing is self-justifying. They are going to take my guns, thats why I have them. Come. The. Fuck. On.