Hawkeye

[Poll and Discussion] Ending polls early

Allow ending a poll early?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Allow ending a poll early?

• Yes
    • No

In the spirit of our core values; maturity, friendship, fun, professionalism, respect, cooperation, teamwork and courtesy I would like to suggest a Charter revisions. There is no reason to embarrass any member of our community who has expressed a desire to become a Regular or Officer only to discover the poll is not going well. Therefore:

Existing:

5.2.1.1 - New Regulars are inducted by a successful one (1) week two-thirds (2/3) majority vote.

Suggestion:

5.2.1.1 - New Regulars are inducted by a successful one (1) week two-thirds (2/3) majority vote. The poll can be terminated immediately if the subject posts a request in the thread to end the poll/thread.

Existing:

5.3.3 - Operations for the induction of new Officers must be decided by a majority vote lasting two (2) weeks.

Suggestion:

5.3.3 - Operations for the induction of new Officers must be decided by a majority vote lasting two (2) weeks. The poll can be terminated immediately if the subject posts a request in the thread to end the poll/thread.

What are your thoughts? Should we include ban threads?

I like the idea, but at present i don't think including ban threads would be a good idea. It could start conflicting with things since ban threads are all different from each other.

In my opinion, keeping a standard of always letting the vote last their full time is much more appropriate. I cannot imagine any reason why someone would require a poll be ended early unless they have accepted failure. No person who posts a poll should be embarrassed or talked down on simply because people do not agree with the thread, there is an appropriate way to post your opinion and an inappropriate way. I do not agree with ending polls early as it will only add an extra thing for forum mods to look out for, not that they shouldn't be expected to watch the thread, but it is simply unnecessary.

To conclude my point, this wouldn't hurt anything, but I do not see it providing a huge difference.

Ending a vote prematurely may not always benefit the individual. When someone polls for regular or officer positions they need to be mature enough to be able to fill that spot. A sure sign of maturity is being able to take feedback from your peers. By allowing them to cancel it short could prevent them from understanding why their poll is failing.

Also I tend not to make a final decision until close to the end. I try to make as educated decision as possible by hearing all sides, this means I may change my vote at the last minute. By an early withdrawal they may be shooting themselves in the foot and would look far worse on them than riding it through.

Accepting accountability for embarrassing oneself is healthy, so is letting people run the rope to hang themselves on (by their interactions in the thread). It also lets the debate emotions cool down and gives some soil for good ideas to develop. How many of you have changed your votes after a couple days thought?

I think forcing the time is healthy.

Edited by GloryAndPain

Gabee, reference status' poll to see reasons you should be allowed to close early. The drama just got worse and worse when it should have been ended a lot sooner.

kalohepirate, I don't see people canceling a poll just because they aren't currently 'winning' the votes. However if they wish to pull out and shoot themselves in the foot, it is their foot.

Overall I think this is a very good addition to the charter that can cut down on some drama, however I wouldn't include ban threads as that is a whole other beast.

no, if you put up a poll you stick by it. enough said... no pulling back after.

true, just think most state their opinion still ^^

There is no reason to embarrass any member of our community who has expressed a desire to become a Regular or Officer only to discover the poll is not going well

I would vote no if this is motion is put to a vote. Embarrassment should be the last of our concerns once the decision is made to put up a poll by any individual. You must consider the that the outcome of polls, as bad as they may be, reflect the opinion of Regulars, which is the core of the decision making process at United Operations. With that said, even though a poll may not pass, it serves to indicate the popular opinion on certain subjects at hand. It is a statistical data needed to understand the will of the majority.

Edited by Rein

I agree with this - if someone doesn't want to be a regular, or officer the poll should close. What's the point?

Gabee, reference status' poll to see reasons you should be allowed to close early. The drama just got worse and worse when it should have been ended a lot sooner.

StatusRed's poll is a perfect example of member provoked drama. Regulars and non-regulars alike were provoking StatusRed in my honest opinion. The drama was created because many were continuing to bicker with Status over the same points. StatusRed did indeed say the poll could be closed and that he didn't want to become a regular anymore, but saying that can ensure that the poll doesn't pass.

kalohepirate, I don't see people canceling a poll just because they aren't currently 'winning' the votes. However if they wish to pull out and shoot themselves in the foot, it is their foot.

This is very true. We don't see many except for Status's poll that come out and quit in the process. Are we try to dictate policy over a singular event? That's never a good idea.

Now if this was a nomination by someone other than the individual for the position that's different. But again it should be an immediate refusal of the nomination. Not an acceptance with a revoking after the poll goes bad.

StatusRed's poll is a perfect example of member provoked drama. Regulars and non-regulars alike were provoking StatusRed in my honest opinion. The drama was created because many were continuing to bicker with Status over the same points. StatusRed did indeed say the poll could be closed and that he didn't want to become a regular anymore, but saying that can ensure that the poll doesn't pass.

I don't think it's just about the poll passing or not, it's also about the drama that can be caused either way. I'm not one for censoring specific people or specific messages, but I think stopping something before it gets out of hand (assuming the subject of the poll has the mind to do it) is just protecting people from themselves. When tempers get heated people start saying things they may later regret, and that is where some of the drama starts. I for one would like our community to be as drama free as possible.

This is very true. We don't see many except for Status's poll that come out and quit in the process. Are we try to dictate policy over a singular event? That's never a good idea.

Now if this was a nomination by someone other than the individual for the position that's different. But again it should be an immediate refusal of the nomination. Not an acceptance with a revoking after the poll goes bad.

The whole common law system (Used in most English speaking countries) is based on dictating policy over a singular event, hence legal precedent. But I don't see this as anything drastic, it's not forbidding anything. It just opens the way to give a poll freedom to close. I honestly don't foresee it being used very often, but for those few times it could help, I believe it should be an option.

Though I would like to see it more defined as what constitutes a request for closure. Does "Maybe I don't want to be a reg anymore" count, or does it have to specifically be "Please close this poll"

I don't think this would be necessary for a couple reasons. First off, if you end the poll early, the person who is getting voted upon may not get the feedback necessary to try again and open another thread to achieve what his mission is. Another reason, like stated above, to be a regular, you must show a sign of maturity, and ending it early too me doesn't show maturity at all. And if you want to become a regular you should be able to handle a little bit of constructive criticism.

Honestly, I think what we have now is fine. Ending a poll early may be beneficial for some but upon ending said poll they lose the chance to gain feedback from all of those that have voted no. In the end you would have more people not striving to help the community because they are scared of re-polling for whatever it was they polled for before. Would vote no.

I keep seeing the same argument of "If you are a regular candidate you should be mature and be able to handle criticism," however this change wouldn't be there to help or hinder people who would be good regular material, it's there (in my view) to stop the drama that could pass in a poll for someone who probably wasn't the right stuff to begin with.

I'm still not sure why anyone is actively against this. If a person can't handle the spotlight that comes from a regular poll, let them close it. No one who is a regular loses anything by it, other than the chance to criticize them some more, which isn't needed at that point anyways. This can only lower the amount of drama.

5.2.1.1 - New Regulars are inducted by a successful one (1) week two-thirds (2/3) majority vote. The poll can be terminated immediately if the subject posts a request in the thread to end the poll/thread.

5.3.3 - Operations for the induction of new Officers must be decided by a majority vote lasting two (2) weeks. The poll can be terminated immediately if the subject posts a request in the thread to end the poll/thread.

In application for regular I would vote yes - argument I'm basing in real life - if political candidate don't want to run, he is free to resign.

For operations I don't think so (No termination) as is about how UO is ran (or other important things) and should maintan whole course without interruption.

Wouldn't this amendment allow people to close polls whenever they have a winning majority? For example, if the first person to vote in a poll votes yes, and then the poll is closed.

Wouldn't this amendment allow people to close polls whenever they have a winning majority? For example, if the first person to vote in a poll votes yes, and then the poll is closed.

Very good point, but in my interpretation requesting the poll be closed prematurely = failed poll.

With the current wording I believe "terminated" would mean to end in such a way as the results aren't applicable. Though thankfully this is an informal poll so wording can still be altered before making an official poll.

no, if you put up a poll you stick by it. enough said... no pulling back after.

Ending a vote prematurely may not always benefit the individual. When someone polls for regular or officer positions they need to be mature enough to be able to fill that spot. A sure sign of maturity is being able to take feedback from your peers. By allowing them to cancel it short could prevent them from understanding why their poll is failing.

Feedback tends to not happen in regular posts.