StatusRed

United Operations - Jargon Explained

Mils AREN'T used regularly out of fire support - unless you're... you're... I can't even think of an example...

Mils AREN'T used regularly out of fire support - unless you're... you're... I can't even think of an example...

Not so true. Your average Binocular and Rifle Scope reticles use mils, where it is used for range measurement and marksmanship. As far as I heard from our Danish servicemen the Danish Army uses mils almost exclusively for referencing direction. Although it originates from Artillery-only use it has caught on for other uses pretty widespread. Anyway, off-topic.

Commendable effort on making the list Status! Keep it Up!

Not so true. Your average Binocular and Rifle Scope reticles use mils, where it is used for range measurement and marksmanship. As far as I heard from our Danish servicemen the Danish Army uses mils almost exclusively for referencing direction. Although it originates from Artillery-only use it has caught on for other uses pretty widespread. Anyway, off-topic.

Commendable effort on making the list Status! Keep it Up!

Thanks zumorc. :)

We learned basic land navigation with mils. You learn how to convert to degrees, but you use mils.

We learned basic land navigation with mils. You learn how to convert to degrees, but you use mils.

We didn't bother learning to convert to degrees. Why use degrees when you have mils! Glorious mils!

Although, at UO, degrees are more common. It's when you start getting more precise that you use mils.

RL - Report Line

PL - Phase Line

I hope you had these D:

Thank you for the suggestions Dackery, I'll make sure they're added. It's not that I wasn't aware of them, it's just quite difficult to think of everything when creating the list.

QRF - Quick Reaction/Response Force

Thank you for your suggestion. It will be added. :)

FIBUA & MOUT? They get tossed around a lot, especially the latter.

Cheers Thawk, these will also be added. :)

IP - Insertition Point (spelling)

ABF - Assault By Fire

SBF - Support By Fire

Thanks.

ABF has already been pointed out by Herbiie and SBF is already on the list. I'll add all three definitions of IP (which I'm aware of), ingress point, insertion point and initial point. Thanks.

didnt you forget the R in mortar ? :wink:

Aha yes, thank you for bringing that to my attention mr2!

Attack With Fire doesn't exist does it?

Attack By Fire means firing at the target & not moving in. What would your definition of AWF be?

Oh, I spotted another thing.Technically, Assault by Fire is an incorrect backronym of Attack by Fire. Assault implies movement to destroy an enemy, while attack is more reaching out to the enemy by firing at him, which is the proper meaning of ABF.

See this thread for more:

http://forums.united...ts-with-zumorc/

Cheers.

Don't let Kevin see that.... :ph34r:

Haha.

The assault generally always incorporates Fire.

Fire without movement is indecisive. Exposed movement without fire is potentially disastrous.

Otherwise you are doing an Infiltration.

Infiltration is a form of maneuver in which an attacking element conducts undetected movement through or into an area occupied by enemy forces to gain a position of advantage in the enemy rear.

The assault generally always incorporates Fire.

Otherwise you are doing an Infiltration.

Infiltration is a form of maneuver in which an attacking element conducts undetected movement through or into an area occupied by enemy forces to gain a position of advantage in the enemy rear.

http://www.globalsec...m/3-90/appb.htm

The key tactical mission task pro-words (e.g. "Breach" "Neutralise" etc) can be found at the link above. Quite useful, as some have quite specific meanings.

Thanks guys.

I'll make sure to include these amendments.

Edited by StatusRed