luizsilveira

UO Rules and Etiquette Q&A

Welcome to UO. This is not meant to be a substitute for the better and more complete gameplay guide, nor for the technical guide. My intention is solely to present you, very concisely, a simple Q&A about proper etiquette at UO. I’m only highlighting the major pitfalls some of the new guys fall into, so you can avoid them and thus avoid getting a bad reputation within our community. Leaving a bad first impression may take a long time to overcome, and in some extreme cases may lead you to being removed from the community. We don’t want that.

This is meant to be read in 1 minute, as you can get the points by just reading the answers (as highlighted). For more context, look at the question. If you want more info on a particular point, click on the “show” button. From now on, you have no excuse for not knowing that the things listed below are not acceptable on our server. Above all, be mature, be respectful, and have fun.

Before the mission:

1) I'm on TeamSpeak and got everything running (tested my mods by logging into the training server, same password as the primary server). Should I just join a mission? Better not.If you are new to UO it’s best to wait for a new mission to start.

Joining a mission in progress, especially a larger mission, will leave you lost. Your squad will have moved, you will have no idea of where they are nor how to find them, and you will not know what to do. It’s not against the rules but this is a recipe for disaster. With a bit more experience everyone can join a mission in progress (or JIP, as it’s known), but while you are new try to avoid it. Join the waiting room and get the next mission from the start.

Another idea is to hang out on the waiting room and try to find a more experienced player who wants to JIP as well. Ask him if he could help you out and show you the ropes once in game - the answer is likely to be positive.

2) I’ve decided to JIP anyway and spawned in the base, away from all the action. Can I take a vehicle to link up with my team? NO! Do not, ever, take vehicles unless you are instructed to by your leader.

We take this very seriously. Vehicles are important assets and you should not treat this lightly. Plus, there are a million of ways you can ruin the mission for everyone else if you are in a vehicle: for example, alerting the enemy of our presence when everyone has been moving slowly for the past 45 minutes to avoid just that. Don’t be “that guy”. Taking vehicles from base without being instructed to is considered “stealing assets” and will get you suspended from the community.

So how do you go to the action? Some missions have a “teleport” (used via mouse wheel or self interaction key). Other missions have a transport organized by your platoon or company, for which you have to wait (it may some times take up to 10 or 15 minutes). Occasionally some missions might demand JIPs to run for a while though, and I would in any case advise inexperienced players to avoid running around on their own as the likelihood of something going wrong (such as friendly fire) is very high.

3) So I joined the waiting room. How long am I going to wait? Anything between one minute and a bit over an hour.

Yes, it can be that long. Rarely missions pass the 2 hour mark. Again, with a bit of experience you don’t need to wait that long and may join in progress (JIP), but since it’s your first time it’s better if you take things slow. Just chill at the waiting room, play another game while you wait, check your emails, etc. One nice thing to do is check our forums and see what has been going on with the community.

4) What can I talk in the waiting room? You can talk about anything, but be sensible.

Remember that we might have players who are quite young, plus some of us have their children close by while they play, and especially while they wait in the waiting room. Avoid abusive language, avoid any kind of immaturity from your part (we are a mature community and strive to maintain it that way), and do not shout. Again, it’s just about keeping it sensible, and chilling out with your soon-to-be player mates.

If someone else is disturbing the waiting room, that’s not a reason for you to do it too. Please let an admin know and the situation will be dealt with. You can find our “regulars” looking for the “UO” tag on TeamSpeak.

Someone has announced new mission. Get down to the primary channel.

5) People might be voting for what kind of mission they want to play.

It looks like the start of a mission, but it’s not. We use slots for counting players, and usually ask them to slot as BLUFOR if they want to play a coop (a team of players versus the AI) or OPFOR if they want to play a TvT (team versus team, or, in other words, playing against other humans). You can notice this by the slots names. Make your choice, slot accordingly and relax.

6) Can I continue the topic I had going in the waiting room? No. Help the mission to start quickly by keeping it quiet.

Admining a large server demands quite a bit from the admin. It’s not rare for us to have many dozens or even more than a hundred players on TS. If each of them wants to talk, that will slow down the whole process a lot. Even if one person is talking, that’s quite disturbing. Just chill for now, and let the admins do their best to get everyone in game as soon as possible.

7) Now the mission had been chosen, do not slot before asked to.

Slots will be called for. You will get the hang of it pretty quickly, so don’t worry.

8) What slots may I take? Stick to rifleman and similar infantry slots.

If you are unsure, wait until most people have chosen their slots and then ask. Do not slot any leadership position (the top of a group) as it comes with a lot of responsibility. Regardless of your previous Arma or even military experience, you don’t yet know what this responsibility entails in our gaming environment. Please only slot leadership after you really understand what is expected. And don’t let the bad leaders fool you into believing their lack of skills is what is expected as a leader. Wait until you see the good ones in action.

Take note of which squad you slotted into. Be aware that it’s written in small white text under your name (such as “1’2 Rifleman”) and is NOT the group name attributed by Arma and that we use to call the slots (such as “1-1-A”). Again, you’ll get used to that, don’t worry.

9) May I take a pilot slot? No, do not take a pilot slot. Period.

If you don’t know how to fly, don’t take a pilot slot. If you think you know how to fly, don’t take a pilot slot. If you know you know how to fly, don’t take a pilot slot. You have been warned not to take a pilot slot.

Even if you have flown a lot before in Arma and know all the aircraft, all the maps, and all the enemy weapons and their ranges, still... don’t take a pilot slot. You do not, just yet, know what is expected from a pilot at UO. You will be expected to know how to handle the radios, proper radio procedures, you might need to know procedures for JIPs, how missions work, the chain of command and who you should listen to, how to assess landing zones, and a ton more stuff. Take your time, learn how we do things here, and soon enough you will be able to show everyone you can be the best pilot around. Taking pilot slots too soon has been the doom of many new players, since by crashing a helicopter full of players you can easily be ruining 2 hours of everyone’s time. Even if you don't crash but take a long time to fiddle with your radios while everyone is waiting on the back of your helicopter, you are wasting everyone's time. You came here to make friends, right? That’s not a good start, and you may take several months to build your reputation back up. Instead, be a rifleman and listen to your leader, thus learning while not compromising everyone’s fun.

10) We have been taken to the map screen. What now? Why is everyone quiet? Wait for the plan. Read notes and study the map in the meantime. Keep chatter down, others are trying to read.

The leader is making his plan. You may talk again if he has not asked for silence, but then again, be sensible. Most people are trying to read the mission notes (top left corner of your screen) and I suggest you do the same. Many people have trouble reading while there are 80 people chatting at the same time in the background. So... if you don’t have something important/urgent to say, keep quiet and read. Once you have read the notes, study the map. See where you start, where the objectives are, take note of any landmarks along the way, and so on. Time will fly if you are doing what you’re supposed to, and you came to UO to do the right thing from the start. Right?

11) Leader is briefing and I don’t understand squat! Relax. Save your questions for after the briefing, preferably in-game.

Lots of new guys have tons of questions. That’s great, and it’s good if you want those questions answered. But they may take a lot of time and distract leadership from making the plan and coordinating with each other. Take note of your questions and, as soon as in game, ask your fireteam leader or squad leader (that way not everyone will be able to hear you, just those around you, and then your leader can answer that question for you).

12) I got in game and want to use chat for something. Should I? NO! Avoid using chat once in game at all costs.Side or global chat is only used for admin reasons. If you must, e.g. due to technical difficulties, use GROUP or vehicle chat.

Using chat is seen as a cheat to circumvent the limitations of direct talk and radios in ACRE. Plus, it can be incredibly distracting (especially in a full server. Imagine 80 people chatting on the side!).

You can get to “group” chat by pressing “>” or “<” before the “/”.

13) Tell your leader you are new. Let him know. Even if you think you know what to do.

Let your buddy know as well. “Squads” or “Sections” are usually split into two or three “Fire teams”, which have 4 people in most cases. Fire teams are split into “Buddy teams”, so you will be assigned a “battle buddy” for that one mission. If you are not assigned one, ask your fire team leader for who your battle buddy is (you should know who your fire team leader is, as you should have taken note of this information from the slotting screen). Unfortunately some fire team leaders forget to do this at the beginning of the mission, so be nice and remind them of their responsibilities.

You and your battle buddy should stick together at all times. If you became a casualty, he will be the one providing you support - and vice versa. You are responsible for constantly checking each other to make sure everything is ok, and that no one is lost or left behind. For those reasons, do not get split up from your battle buddy. If this does happen, let your fire team leader know.

So, if you are new to the game or to UO, or even if you have been here a while it’s important that your battle buddy knows who you are so he can watch out for you. Most people will be very keen to help you out during your first couple of sessions here and to answer your questions, but they are not mind-readers and you need to let them know you are new and may need some guidance and help.

14) There is nothing to do, we are just waiting! Fine, then wait. Don’t do anything silly. Try to keep quiet or as low as possible.

A bit of waiting time is normal, especially in larger missions. You will wait at the start while transport or forming up gets organized, and you will likely wait a few more times during the mission (for example, for other groups to get into position, or for them to scout the enemy, etc.). That’s just how it is. War has a lot of waiting.

What would be the silly thing to do at this point? Fooling around with your character, singing out loud, screaming, pointing your weapon in the air or at other people, and lots of other stuff I can think of. Anything immature, really. This lack of maturity will get you into trouble, as we don’t want immature people around. Even if it doesn’t, acting immature will put a spotlight on you and quite quickly (believe me) you will have quite a bad reputation in the community. Just behave like a grown up would and you’ll be fine.

15) Why should I keep quiet if I’m just waiting? Because: 1) other people may need to talk about things that are related to the mission and this can be hard with too much noise around them; and 2) maturity, remember?

Common situation: everyone is in the back of a helicopter, just waiting for the order to take off. Many players think it’s fine to start talking out loud, singing, and in some cases some new guys even broadcast music! Don’t do that! Your pilot needs to be on the radio and he is trying to listen for orders and talk with other elements. Your leadership elements are probably inside the same helicopter as you are, and they, too, need to both listen and talk on the radio. They can’t do it with all your noise. And again, the more noise you make, the more time they will take to coordinate everything. Again, you are wasting everyone’s time, including your own. So, please, keep noise to a minimum.

Now a quick question: do you want to go to a night mission, in the middle of a jungle, in which you need to ambush an enemy patrol? One of those in which your heart starts pumping as you slowly advance into enemy territory and you can hear the branching breaking under your combat boots? In which visibility is low and you stretch your ears to try to listen for any signs of enemy activity? So do I. And it’s impossible to do if the guy next to you couldn’t care less and keeps talking out loud about his favorite band or the movie he saw yesterday. Of course, there is a time and a place to have a good chat with the other guys. However, as a new guy, you don’t yet know when or where that is. So, please, avoid it until you do.

16) In game I don’t know what to do! Just listen to your leader’s instructions. DO NOT run away on your own at any point during the mission.

You told your Squad Leader, your fireteam leader, and your battle buddy you were new, right? Good start. Now listen to what he says and do what he tells you to do. It’s that simple. DO NOT do your own thing. DO NOT chase the enemy on your own. DO NOT fire your weapon unless you are being fired at, or if your leader told you to fire your weapon, or if your leader told your team to engage enemies. If you think something would be a good idea, ASK your leader. “May I go over there?”, “May I have a look?”, “Should I fire at them?” have saved many people. This is a team game, where the fun is playing as a team. If you want to do your own thing and chase enemies on your own, this community is not for you . That and, well, you’ll get killed pretty quickly and left alone with no medical assistance nor support from your team (I hope in this case you die a horrible death. In the game, that is).

While you are with your team, remember: 1) keep your spacing. Don’t bunch up or one grenade or MG burst can make several casualties; 2) keep in formation. Don’t run ahead of your leader, unless instructed to. Formations have their reasons to exist, and among other things they will help your team to prevent shooting each other in the back. Remember: it is a pretty stupid thing to do to walk in front of a live rifle. Yet, it’s impressive how often new guys walk in front of each other and put themselves between their team and the enemy. Don’t be that guy.

17) My leader is yelling at me/us. Does it mean I screwed up? Is he mad? Probably not, but no matter what happens, do not yell back.

Some people can’t really handle the pressure and responsibility of leading, and the way they manage this is by yelling and cursing excessively. This has nothing to do with you, and a good leader will not yell at you for being new or inexperienced (if you just let him know that you are!).

One way or the other, don’t yell back. If your leader is having trouble dealing with the pressure and responsibility, you yelling at him will just add more pressure. What was impersonal cursing can quickly escalate into personal attacks, especially when emotions are high (e.g.., in the middle of a firefight). Don’t be part of that unnecessary escalation. Listen to your leader’s instructions, no matter how much you think he is unprofessional. After the mission is over you can do two things:

1. If you can’t stand a particular leader’s style, do not play under that guy’s leadership anymore. Take note of his name. On the slotting screen, we almost always slot leadership first. When you see that guy slotting as a leader, simply go to a different squad. You will save yourself a lot of headache by simply doing that, as sometimes personalities simply do not match.

2. If you think he is seriously in the wrong and his misbehaviour is impairing other people’s enjoyment of the game, report this to a regular. You can find the “regulars” by looking for the UO tags on TeamSpeak. Let him know what happened and that individual will be spoken to in order to change his behaviour.

18) I need to ALT-TAB to have a look at something else. Can I do that? Yes, but be VERY careful or Arma will get you in trouble.

1) let your leader know you’ll be afk for a few seconds (avoid doing it for minutes, though - unless it’s an emergency of course);

2) safety your weapon (SHIFT-~ or SHIFT-` depending on your keyboard) and press escape before tabbing out. Always. Pressing escape will not take you out of the game nor the mission. It will just bring the Arma menu, and then you can tab back out. If you don’t do that, your weapon is likely to fire (a negligent discharge, or ND) once you tab back in! It’s an Arma thing. Be careful. If you kill someone, you might get punished or even banned for being reckless and ruining your buddy’s fun and wasting his time. Even worse is when you have a grenade selected in this situation and you kill a bunch of people. Don’t be “that guy”, and don’t get yourself banned for something silly.

19) I just found an enemy body with lots of c00l equipment! Can I get his L337 rifle? No. Do not ever pick up enemy equipment. And do not leave your team to even look at it.

Among other things, because a lot of experienced players can identify a weapon by its sound. So guess what will happen to you if you fire an enemy weapon? Yes, the entire friendly platoon might return fire towards you. You might get your whole team friendly fired in seconds. You will ruin the mission and the fun for everyone. Remember what I said about being “that guy?”. Don’t be “that guy”. And this is only one of the reasons.

There are rare exceptions to this rule. You will not know how to identify them until you have some experience here. When in doubt, ask your leader. And don’t tell me you ran out of ammo. If you ran out of ammo, you don’t know how to manage your fire rates properly and both you and your fire team leader are at fault. This doesn’t give you the excuse to do yet another wrong thing and pick an enemy weapon up.

Also, don’t leave your fire team to loot enemy bodies. This is not DayZ. I’ve seen many times a whole platoon waiting for one guy that is looting bodies looking for a l337 scope. Don’t be that guy, your reputation will sink more rapidly than you think. Plus, if you get shot in the middle of the open and away from your team, it will be a hassle, and more importantly puts others lives at risk, to get you assistance. Again, if you behave like that you are not playing as a team, you are wasting everyone’s time, and you don’t belong at UO.

If you are thinking “big deal if I put lives at risk, it’s just a game”, think again. Someone dying trying to save you probably means that someone will have to wait quite a bit for the next mission. By putting his in-game life at risk for no reason you are wasting his time and potentially spoiling his enjoyment of the game. No one likes to sit for 1h in the waiting room because of an avoidable mistake done by another player. Again, don’t be “that guy”.

20) I just saw an empty enemy vehicle with big guns on it. May I use it and wipe out the enemy force? I’ll be a hero, right? No. Do not, ever, use enemy vehicles and assets.

21) I think the mission is over,is there anything else for us to do? Keep pulling security.

Missions are not over until they are over. Keep your spacing (you don’t want a rogue grenade to kill all your team at once), and keep watching your sectors (you don’t want an enemy creeping out from where no one expected. It does happen). You can relax at times, but don’t became complacent as the mission is coming to an end. Stay alert - complacency gets you and your teammates killed.

22) I’ve died and did not respawn. I can see other people playing though. Now what? You are in Spectator mode and are watching the mission unfold without you. Do not reconnect nor reslot to come back to the game. Just wait for next mission.

Do not try to get back to the slotting screen to join the game once more. Most of our missions have no respawn for a reason, and reslotting after dying will get you banned from the server. Avoid gettting yourself killed in the first place, that’s how it works. Survival is an important skill: stay in cover, and watch your sectors. If you died, you died, that’s it. You’ll have to wait until the next mission - and yes, it can take quite a bit of time. You will be eagerly waiting for it though, I’m sure. If you avoided the traps above, so will we.

Remember: this Q&A will not make you a good player. It's intended to prevent you from being so bad a player that we need to remove you. We don't want that, and I assume neither do you. In order to perfect yourself and improve, check the further reading below. It's important. By becoming a more skilled and knowledgeable player, you will not only have much more fun with the time you spend here but you will also help everyone around you to have more fun too!

Further reading:

- Welcome to UO

- Gameplay guide, a *must read*.

- Bans SOPs (list of what will get you banned, and for how long).

- UO Charter

- Technical guide

- Training schedule - take full advantage of our training!

Credits:

Thanks for the community support for this to come up. Special thanks to j0hnanderson, Rambo2, and Kingslayer for revising the text and contributing with ideas. Thanks to Hellhound for his excellent and inspiring guide. And thank you all who invest your time and effort towards keeping the standards of play on the primary server above the minimum acceptable so we can have a good game on our leisure time.

Edited by luizsilveira

A very, very good guide Luiz. Hopefully a lot of the new guys will take a few minutes to read through it. Some excellent advice.

I am reading and re reading your many guides , practicing on SP missions and scenarios , trying my best to learn, watch your instructional vids. Love the game and the potential. I come from the COD/BF3 Tactical or so called crouch community and want some more meaty - . ARMA.-

Just a bit "scared" to jump in with so much new stuff, Acre/TS , new mechanics, and gameplay. Don't want to screw the pooch right :) I have installed from your repository . I would need pointers as how to fine tune . In spite of reading and watching , there are still subtlelties tha can only be learned in game.

Can someone give me some practical advice as how to intergrate into the game without being disruptive or disturbing the experienced guys. Is ther a "newbie" group ?

Thanks .

I am reading and re reading your many guides , practicing on SP missions and scenarios , trying my best to learn, watch your instructional vids. Love the game and the potential. I come from the COD/BF3 Tactical or so called crouch community and want some more meaty - . ARMA.-

Just a bit "scared" to jump in with so much new stuff, Acre/TS , new mechanics, and gameplay. Don't want to screw the pooch right :smile: I have installed from your repository . I would need pointers as how to fine tune . In spite of reading and watching , there are still subtlelties tha can only be learned in game.

Can someone give me some practical advice as how to intergrate into the game without being disruptive or disturbing the experienced guys. Is ther a "newbie" group ?

Thanks .

Don't be afraid to hop into the primary server! It's a bit nerve-wrecking the first time, which is understandable because I was shaking the first time I played with UO. However, the first thing you must remember is that this is still just a game. Though it is a milsim community, we are all here just to have fun.

We don't really have a "newbie" group, but as Luiz's guide says, when in the slotting screen, slot as the most basic class (rifleman in most cases). Once in game, be sure to tell your squad leader that you are new. Most people will take you under their wing once they know that you dont have as much experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most people here are very approachable and eager to help.

Welcome to the community!

If you are new, don't take a leadership position even if it is being called for. I have seen numerous new players get yelled at because they don't know what they are doing. If you play with a serious intent, you will integrate well. Messing around and sky larking will lead to a ban sooner or later. eg. setting stuff on fire, firing weapons or dropping smoke grenades indiscriminately.

Thanksgents.

I agree Rifleman it is lol. I am a team player, hate showboating as well. So if any mistake will be from inexperience with the game in general and how it plays within a platoon, firetam etc...

Thanks again fo rthe tips and good words.

Thanksgents.

I agree Rifleman it is lol. I am a team player, hate showboating as well. So if any mistake will be from inexperience with the game in general and how it plays within a platoon, firetam etc...

Thanks again fo rthe tips and good words.

I'd also highly recommend that you take the familiarisation and fireteam operations course. Also, please make sure ACRE is working before you go onto the primary server, by testing it on the testing or training servers first. As not having ACRE working properly will be highly disruptive when in game.

I am going to sticky this guide as it is very useful for new players.

Luiz regarding 22) there is an exception for reslotting if it is an arma gameplay bug (a rock killed you, you die due to a building or any strange bug that is due to the limitation of the arma engine.

Normally in these cases,it is important to ask a GM or Officer whether it is ok to reslot beforehand.

Fantastic guide, Luiz. How about some more information about what to do after the mission is over, but before slotting the next mission has begun? (i.e. where to put mission suggestions, whether or not you are allowed to speak, etc.)

Luiz regarding 22) there is an exception for reslotting if it is an arma gameplay bug (a rock killed you, you die due to a building or any strange bug that is due to the limitation of the arma engine.

Normally in these cases,it is important to ask a GM or Officer whether it is ok to reslot beforehand.

Fantastic guide, Luiz. How about some more information about what to do after the mission is over, but before slotting the next mission has begun? (i.e. where to put mission suggestions, whether or not you are allowed to speak, etc.)

Thanks for the feedback. I understand both points, but see... this Q&A is meant for the guy who is here in his first or second day. So, especially for Alba's point, I think a guy in here for his first couple of sessions wouldn't be really keen in suggesting missions (for example). I'll think a bit more about the "allowed to speak" part but I thought I had covered that (at least a bit) on 6).

Skin's point is important, but then again I'd rather convey the message that reslotting is wrong (because it will be wrong in 99%+ of cases) than get the new guys lost in a net of possible exceptions to the rules. The message (as well as with enemy equipment and so on) is: if you are unsure, don't do it. With time, after one gets the basics, one can start to worry about the exceptions and details... or at least that's what I was thinking when I wrote it.

I think even if I add a "ask the admin" there, we could be giving incentive to a flow of side chat messages in the line of "I just died, can I reslot?". I know that's being too optimistic about people reading the guide, but I hope you got the point :P

Thanks again, one way or the other I'll "sleep on it".

Just a bit "scared" to jump in with so much new stuff, Acre/TS , new mechanics, and gameplay. Don't want to screw the pooch right :smile: I have installed from your repository . I would need pointers as how to fine tune . In spite of reading and watching , there are still subtlelties tha can only be learned in game.

Nice post. You're reading this guide and you seem to have the right attitude so you are already on the right path!

Indeed, it can be a bit daunting if you are new to Arma. I've seen that from here you went for the courses schedule: indeed I think the best advice I could give you is try to attend to the famil. course. It's why it's there for. In that course you'll learn the basics and you'll be able to see some of these things working in a controlled environment without the rush and/or pressure of an actual mission.

Another alternative is ask on the waiting room if there is anyone willing to quickly jump into the training server with you for a few minutes to give you some pointers. If I'm around, feel free to ask me.

Thanks .

i've had amazing experiences with some great squad leads and fireteam leads look after me as a newbie. now, i tend to look for fireteam lead slots and i plan on retunrning the favour. So if you see me on the server, slot in my team and ill happily help anyway i can. im sure you'll get plenty of similar offers too :D

i've had amazing experiences with some great squad leads and fireteam leads look after me as a newbie. now, i tend to look for fireteam lead slots and i plan on retunrning the favour. So if you see me on the server, slot in my team and ill happily help anyway i can. im sure you'll get plenty of similar offers too :D/>

This is the right attitude of an FTL folks

Correction: direct chat does NOT work at all. So, vehicle or group only for important non-game items that need addressing.

Correction: direct chat does NOT work at all. So, vehicle or group only for important non-game items that need addressing.

Thanks Tdack, I didn't know that. It's fixed.

This is the right attitude of an FTL folks

thanks, hellhound.

i prefer to think my attitude of 'treat the newbies with open arms' is more down to being a decent human being, not down to me being a decent FTL. :D

we're not gonna the grow this community with power-tripping ego's or the arrogance to forget we all once had to learn the ropes here, and besides, the SOP's say we all should treat everyone with respect.

See all you guys on the server :D