Birdy890

War Thunder

In my absence at UO I've been digging my gums into War Thunder.

What is War Thunder you may ask?

Well,it's a Game made by Russian developers (yay for OP LA-7s!) focusing on - but not limited to - Aircraft from the 1930s-1950s, along with Tanks and Surface ships (they're still working on those)

war_thunder_screen21.jpg

It's reminiscent of World of Tanks and Il2: Wings of prey, don't worry It's better than WoT (I'm not a big fan of WoT) It just uses the leveling/tier mechanics of WoT, and the Damage modeling/Flight dynamics of IL2.

Although in Arcade mode it's not very sim-like, albeit fun, just not realistic... (the other day my hurricane was unable to escape a biplane :|

Just wanted to stir some shi- attention up about this game and hey, maybe when I get back it'll be popular here at UO!

If anyone is interested in playing with me Add me as a friend under the name B_Gubbel and I'll fly with ya.

Edited by Birdy890

It uses a leveling mechanic similar to WoT but doesn't require you to fly one plane for 50 days to earn enough experience in the plane to get the next tier. You fly the planes from the country for long enough until you level your rank up in the country, then you can buy planes leveled up to the rank in said country.

I have it, level 7 on USA, 5 Germany, 6 Soviet, like 4 or 5 on Japanese

No thank you, ill just stick to IL-2...

yeah, I honestly would be too if my router new internet didn't fuckover my ability to play il2...

I have it' date=' level 7 on USA, 5 Germany, 6 Soviet, like 4 or 5 on Japanese[/quote']

No love for the British?

I've been playing for the past couple of days and I'm liking it a bunch.

yeah, I honestly would be too if my router new internet didn't fuckover my ability to play il2...

No love for the British?

I've been playing for the past couple of days and I'm liking it a bunch.

Frank Lee, my dear, f@&$ the British.

Gaijin Entertainment are also the devs behind the Apache: Air Assault series, which while it's very arcade, is also fun, looks good and the flight model is surprisingly good.

Unsurprisingly, this game can also be pretty damned good when it comes to flying, if the realism is set high.

Edited by Merlo

Was in the beta and alpha, got to a ridiculously high level. Great game, but have yet to download the full version.

Edit: Seems it is STILL in beta. It's been like a year now...

Edited by Dylan

Been playing quite a bit, sometimes I'm on the TS3 channel if you want to play. Level 8 Brits and level 5 everything else

I heard that joystick controls are imprecise and wobbly, whereas KB+M is precise and tight. This would be a dealbreaker for me. Confirm/deny?

I think for joysticks you have to tweak it to make it perfect otherwise yes it will be wobbly, I us KB+M and it works perfectly fine.

I heard that joystick controls are imprecise and wobbly, whereas KB+M is precise and tight. This would be a dealbreaker for me. Confirm/deny?

Joystick isn't too shabby. Just need to fiddle with sensitivity and non-linearity a bit to get it good (for example my sensitivity is near zero on pitch, roll, and yaw).

However mouse-users have a stupidly unfair advantage in aiming because their plane can do yaw-motions with near infinite speed. While a joystick-controlled plane is slow to yaw and can/will wobble on the yaw as the plane snaps back into direction of travel, mouse-users can yaw left to right at a speed that completely defies the laws of physics.

The *feeling* when flying with joystick is pretty fantastic though, and in historical battles they can even prove to be an advantage due to the added difficulty of more proper plane physics, which both are easier to play in balance with, and to outright abuse with a stick.

Edited by Inkompetent

Some of the controls seem weird and the trim of your aircraft carries over to all aircraft, so that when I took off in a mission, my plane just nose dived straight into a forest, not fun. Fun though somtimes planes seem too take way too much punishment, especially the bi-planes.

Got my Hurracaine Mk2, though I usually just fly super high in my Blenheim dropping bombs on stuff. It's fun!

Interesting update, hope this fixes the planes being really strong. That may just be my fuck up though.

Edited by Kevin31