Sign in to follow this  
Rambo2

Universal Rules of Engagement - Dslyecxi's TTPs

As always, excellent material from Dslyecxi. A must see for everyone who plays on our primary server.

Are you not sure when you are/you aren't supposed to open fire? Are you not sure when to do the contact report? Then this is exactly the video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuvRufDvu0E

Edited by Rambo2

I like the video and the explanation is really well made, however we do not use the contact types (soft/hard) and we also do not use the videos contact report.

If you want to differentiate contacts, you could do as follows:

Audio - I can hear the enemy but can not locate them

Visual - I can see the enemy, but the enemy is not aware of me [sometimes also referred to as "eyes on"]

Contact - I can see the enemy and I am actively in contact with the enemy (enemy is engaging you)

Individual Fireteam Member Contact Report:

1. CONTACT!

2. DIRECTION

3. DISTANCE

4. TYPE

For more information as to what types of contact we use and the contact report in detail, please attend our Familiarization or Fireteam Operations Course.

NOTE: The video is a really good guide as to when we should open fire and when not to, but don't get confused with the different types of contacts and the contact report.

1. CONTACT!

2. DIRECTION

3. DISTANCE

4. TYPE

vs

1. ALERT

2. ORIENT

3. DESCRIBE

4. EXPOUND

Construct a few examples of contact reports through the two fashions and you'll find very little difference.

"UO": "Contact, 230, 500 meters, infantry!"

TTP2/VTTP: "Contact, 230, infantry, 500 meters!" (covered in further detail in ttp2)

...which leads me to think that your "don't get confused" bit re: the contact report is overstating it by a fair bit.

1. CONTACT!

2. DIRECTION

3. DISTANCE

4. DESCRIPTION

* Fixed

The 3 D's although I never hear anyone use them, and this is somthing very important.

Very simple, and easily usable.

- because KISS.

Edited by HeadShot

No matter what mnemonic, as long as that information is in there. Everybody knows what you're talking about.

I could further add the German Army variant of a contact report to the "confusion" (which, for the sake of simplicity, follows the same format as a fire command):

E - Einheit (unit) (optional for brevity)

R - Richtung (direction)

E - Entfernung (distance)

Z - Ziel (target)

A - Ausführung (execution) (optional for fire command)

So, in action it sounds like this:

"Third squad! 10 o'clock! 300 meters! 2 enemy infantry! (Fire!)"

Strange, this is pretty similar to the examples above.

Funny how different armies apply the same principles.

But all joking aside, this is nitpicking of the highest order.

Does it matter how you call the elements of the report or in which precise order they are given?

As long as all the pertinent information is passed to the squad in the shortest time possible, the desired effect is achieved.

I like the video.

It is short and concise, contains useful information for rookies and therefore accomplishes its goal.

Very much like a good contact report.

Any of the above contact reports are suitable, aslong as the correct information is given clearly and concisely then members of the squad will be able to react.

The video is very good and gives key information without the un needed fluff.

EDIT - On second thoughts, what jake said is exactly what I wanted to say. Minus the german contact report :D

Edited by Suffocation

The 3 D's although I never hear anyone use them, and this is somthing very important.

Hey I use it. And we like distance before description because your eyes scan out to around that distance and begin to process what is there.

But it obviously also depends on what method: Compass, reference, direct. With compass your direction would be a bearing, most likely to a further away enemy unit for example.

There's only so many ways to give a TI, so as long as you can interpret and use that information as zumorc says then it's fine.

I could further add the German Army variant of a contact report to the "confusion" (which, for the sake of simplicity, follows the same format as a fire command):

E - Einheit (unit) (optional for brevity)

R - Richtung (direction)

E - Entfernung (distance)

Z - Ziel (target)

A - Ausführung (execution) (optional for fire command)

So, in action it sounds like this:

"Third squad! 10 o'clock! 300 meters! 2 enemy infantry! (Fire!)"

Strange, this is pretty similar to the examples above.

Funny how different armies apply the same principles.

But all joking aside, this is nitpicking of the highest order.

Does it matter how you call the elements of the report or in which precise order they are given?

As long as all the pertinent information is passed to the squad in the shortest time possible, the desired effect is achieved.

I like the video.

It is short and concise, contains useful information for rookies and therefore accomplishes its goal.

Very much like a good contact report.

Keep in mind we are talking about a contact report not a fire command (US) / fire control order (UK) / Feuerkommando (DE).

The one is a report of sighting, the other an order by the (team) leader to engage.

I love it -- a post on common-sense ROE gets dissected into how to properly call a contact. I think the semantics are irrelevant, and we should focus on the fact that having a universally-applicable ROE, and making sure we all know it, is important. : )

I love it -- a post on common-sense ROE gets dissected into how to properly call a contact. I think the semantics are irrelevant, and we should focus on the fact that having a universally-applicable ROE, and making sure we all know it, is important. : )

I dont think that was the intent. The concepts presented in the video are great, and universally applicable. As long as the key information is included in accordance with common sense, I dont care in what order you call it out, I just wanted to make sure people are not confusing it with an order to fire as Jake quoted fire commands.

Apart from the fire command at the end, the fire order is not very different from a contact report, which I believe was Jake's point.

Apart from the fire command at the end, the fire order is not very different from a contact report, which I believe was Jake's point.

Exactley, I was never saying something else.