Edwards

Basic Treatment of Casualties

Introduction

For the past two weeks, I have focused my attention on becoming a better Medic because I enjoy this job and it makes a lot of fun playing as one, also, because you are attached to Platoon or Company Command in most missions you can listen in on how a Platoon or Company Commander does his job which is very interesting and you can learn one or two things from just listening to them.

Anyway, the reason why I am writing this is that as far as I can tell, we have a lot of people on the Server who don’t know how the ACE Medical System works and because of that, we continue to take more casualties then we would have to so I have decided to give you guys a short overview over the ACE medical system.

Basic treatment of casualties

Now, when you take casualties, the most important part after getting them out of the danger area is to bandage them. Do not wait for a Medic to arrive to do it because that can get people killed easily. To check someone out you need to look at him, hit your ACE Interaction key, than select “Examine”. A info box will than pop up in the top right corner of your screen, giving you some information, the most important one being if the guy is bleeding or not. Obviously, bleeding can kill people but the ACE Medical System features several different severities of bleeding.

These are:

Heavy Bleeding,

Moderate Bleeding,

light bleeding

You need to pay close attention to this because each type of bleeding requires different amounts of bandages to treat properly. I’ve seen it happen that someone bandages a casualty and he still died, because the person who bandaged the casualty didn’t check (or didn’t know that it mattered) how severe the bleeding was.

The correct way to treat bleedings is as follows:

Heavy Bleeding: (CAT) > Bandage Kit > > Bandage [CAT is in brackets as it is only needed in situations, such as enemy contact, where there is not enough time to bandage, applying a CAT will stop bleeding and allow for casualty to be moved]

Moderate Bleeding: Bandage Kit

Light Bleeding: Bandage

If you apply a CAT and than revive him, he will pass out again eventually so you need to get him to a Medic ASAP. Using the correct type/amount of bandages will save lives!

Some missions will also allow you as a non Medic to use morphine and epinephrine.

Morphine is for the treatment of pain, and Epi for getting your heart going again or, as far as ArmA goes, to revive someone. Again, examine a casualty to find out what he needs, but stopping the bleeding is THE most important part of treatment so upon initial examination ignore everything else and focus on that. Now a quick note to any Squad leader reading this: If you are able to use Morphine and Epi and you can revive your casualties, the only condition under which you should request a Medic is if his legs are broken and he can’t walk. Otherwise he should be good enough to continue on with the mission, because after you have revived a casualty, the only thing a Medic can do is give him a Med Kit and they’re usually in very limited supply so you only use them for people who can’t walk. Now there are a few exceptions to that but I’m not going to go over them because I want to keep this as short as possible.

Personal notes

On a final note something personal about the Medic role in general. The Medic is one of the most important assets we have in a Mission for obvious reasons and you should know what you’re doing BEFORE slotting as one on the primary. Sometimes you will operate on your own while moving towards a Squad that has taken casualties, so you also need a basic understanding of Land Navigation to find your way around, the Medic usually has no GPS to help guide you. You don’t want to get lost and wander into enemy positions while trying to find that casualty you were sent to treat do you? Also knowing the Radio Channels on which the Squads are on helps too.

Also if a Medic dies during a mission where the others can’t use Epi and Morphine could result in failing the whole mission, that’s how important the Medic is.

If you really want to get into being a Medic, Thawk offers a great UOTC Field Medic / Combat Life Saver course, or you can talk to any experienced Medic, I’m sure they’ll be glad to help you get into this stuff.

If you’d like to read more about the ACE Medical System and about being a Medic in general I found a Guide that covers the basics even though it’s not up to UO Standards (the radio procedures are a little different to what we use):

http://www.tacticalg...nds-system.html

This might also be worth reading:

http://forums.united...-initial-brief/

If you have any questions on how this subject I’d be happy to answer them, you can contact me either on the Forums or on TS

A Quick note on the topic. As a medic or as anyone who is attempting to MOVE someone. You MUST stop the bleeding first. You drag someone who is still bleeding and before you know it you set them down and they are dead. Always make sure to check for bloodloss before doing anything. But good post Edwards, really informative stuff.

A Quick note on the topic. As a medic or as anyone who is attempting to MOVE someone. You MUST stop the bleeding first. You drag someone who is still bleeding and before you know it you set them down and they are dead. Always make sure to check for bloodloss before doing anything. But good post Edwards, really informative stuff.

Not quite, if for example, you could get to the Casualty relatively save, but can't treat him without exposing yourself to enemy fire, you get him to cover first. No sense in getting shot while trying to treat the guy. It always depends on the situation you're in.

Edited by Edwards

Not quite, if for example, you could get to the Casualty relatively save, but can't treat him without exposing yourself to enemy fire, you get him to cover first. No sense in getting shot while trying to treat the guy. It always depends on the situation you're in.

What Edwards said.

It depends on the situation, if there were bullets landing all around someone I'd ask for covering firing and then either crawl out or run out to him, drag him back behind a tree (or other hard cover) before attempting to bandage him.

What Edwards said.

It depends on the situation, if there were bullets landing all around someone I'd ask for covering firing and then either crawl out or run out to him, drag him back behind a tree (or other hard cover) before attempting to bandage him.

Well the general Idea on actions on casualties is to suppress and or kill the enemy first, then take care of casualties so you wouldn't try getting to a casualty if you're still in heavy combat. That said, even after the fight seems to be over, I still wouldn't want to treat a casualty in the open if some kind of cover is nearby. This Guide here only covers the basics on how to treat casualties and prevent them from dying, WHEN to treat them, that's another matter.

Edited by Edwards

Well the general Idea on actions on casualties is to suppress and or kill the enemy first, then take care of casualties so you wouldn't try getting to a casualty if you're still in heavy combat. That said, even after the fight seems to be over, I still wouldn't want to treat a casualty in the open if some kind of cover is nearby. This Guide here only covers the basics on how to treat casualties and prevent them from dying, WHEN to treat them, that's another matter.

If you don't know where exactly the enemy is, you wouldn't waste time, you would suppress in the direction you were fired at from and get the casualty to safety.

There is no solution that works every time, it heavily depends on the Situation and what your FTL/SL tells you to do.

Doesn't matter the nation, doctrine, era, military or civi. Scene safety is paramount. One of the first lessons in first aid, civi or military.

If someone is down, you will only go to that person if it is safe to do so. There really is no quickly running out and dragging behind a tree. Any actions with the casualty need to be taken if it is safe to do so. Obviously the casualty is the priority but there is nothing worse then two downed people in the same hard to get to place.

And Edwards, nice job with the formatting and guide. Did a really good job!

I have noticed it takes the same amount of time to apply a bandage as it does a CAT. Thus I never use a CAT just large bandage and they're fine after that. Unfortunately i have not actually used a CAT in a week or two so i'm unsure if its been changed or is actually the case (if someone could test). None the less the current medical system is not in depth enough for my liking... nou where is the dismemberment?

Doesn't matter the nation, doctrine, era, military or civi. Scene safety is paramount. One of the first lessons in first aid, civi or military.

Order of priority: Me, We, Them.

I have noticed it takes the same amount of time to apply a bandage as it does a CAT. Thus I never use a CAT just large bandage and they're fine after that. Unfortunately i have not actually used a CAT in a week or two so i'm unsure if its been changed or is actually the case (if someone could test). None the less the current medical system is not in depth enough for my liking... nou where is the dismemberment?

Yeah, although it's a big improvement upon normal ArmA, it isn't in depth enough for my liking either.

If someone is down, you will only go to that person if it is safe to do so.

British doctrine runs along a quick Flo Diagram, one Route is: Is the Casualty Breathing - No -> Are you under effective enemy fire? - Yes -> T4/CATE casualty, Dead.

If you're getting shot at you kill the enemy first - every time. Unless you're an actual Medic, you should complete the assault first, unless specific actions on casualty would require the Main Effort to shift from the assault to Casualty Extraction.

Yeah, although it's a big improvement upon normal ArmA, it isn't in depth enough for my liking either.

I heard there was a mod coming out that overhauled the medical system... i'll try to find it.

I heard there was a mod coming out that overhauled the medical system... i'll try to find it.

Sounds good. :)

Really? :blink: Don't go getting my hopes up now..lol

CMS. Combat Medical System? Right?