Static

UO MSO Suggestions

Another option being passed around - Company of Danish Mechanized (M113s or CV90s [strykers in this case])

Will probably add a squad of ANA as well.

Are there paladins? It would be cool to put them in the corner of the map and make them actually have to move to get into range.

Right now there are 81mm

At this point I am considering completely redoing the Gear script and units.

I only suggest paladins because I fear crewing arming and transporting other forms of artillery might be to cumbersome when the player count is low and it is when the player count is low is the time for artillery.

I like that thought. There could be SOPs setup regarding responsibilities etc. I.e., give the US Army side the heavy assets like A-10s or AH-64Ds, and give the other faction (be it US Marines or Germans, ...) only light assets like normal vehicles. SO every time they need support they need to contact the other faction to coordinate. Same goes for logistics. Sp the Germans for instance would be tasked with stuff like conducting patrols. US Army could be mainly tasked with providing the main fighting force along with all the assets and supplies.

I would love such a setup. Not sure if it would work out performance wise and what not. But it would definitely be interesting!

Just in case you did not read through all the other posts :)

I do like that you wanna make it a ISAF Task Force.  Whereas there are a lot of different factions to choose from, I would stick to the ones with the best stock units provided in the Modpack.  I would stick to the US Army (or Marines), maybe some British and the Germans.  These three factions have the biggest appearance in the Modpack and bring all the realistic equipment and assets with them and there will be no need to make "compromises" or use unrealistic gear to compensate special equipment.

I would also not make all of them mechanized.  I would try to distinguish between the different faction and give each one a unique "task" (thus different assets).  I.e., like posted above, you could make the Germans only motorized (they also come with the best vehicles for motorized operations), and have the US Army bring the heavy mechanized Strykers.  Further, give the US the air assets as they should be the "main force" that "own" the main airfield in the South.  They should bring the A-10s, AH-64D and the PJ's and transport choppers (if included).  The British could provide mostly foot units, maybe motorized aswell, and their main job could be of recce nature.

Hell, I am not sure how the slotting willl work later on, but you could give British people a slot in the British platoon, Germans a slot in the German platoon and so on.  I could only suspect this to turn out interesting once in game.  Imagine the British actually speaking with a British accent and the Germans speaking with that German accent.

You should make sure to have a working ORBAT for the whole Task Force.  There should be a good, organized C2 element setup for easy communication and administration later.

I would agree on the artillery.  I personally would like to see the Paladins.  They are easy to operate, they don't need to be shifted around (thus less personell is needed and more slots can be made for the "combat troops") and they are reliable.

I don't know about the restricted spawning (only when body has been evacuated), but regardless of that, I do think it should be mandatory to always evacuate bodies of killed soldiers.  Although it might not be needed for all intended purposes, but it would give the CASEVAC team more work and it could add at least a little bit of role playing character to the mission.  I would like to see that someone (PJs or parts of the C2 element) keep track of killed soldiers and keep a log.  At the end you could for example see who got killed the most and who never got killed etc.  This should be easy to do as long as bodies get evacuated and people check the dog tags of the killed units.  If someone is missing after an attack and his body is not found he should be declared MIA (the SL should be able to tell who of his guys is missing).  Might be interesting.

What I would like to see in the end:  A very well thought of ORBAT with a variety of different factions (not too many though, we can't please every nation here at UO).  Each faction should have at least a FOB somewhere and the Southern airfield should be used as a Task Force HQ.  Tasks of each faction should be clear and reasonable.  I would like to see as many assets included as possible with the least personell needed.  The most slots should after all be the infantry guys.

Oh and: Although the odds are very, very bad, I would love to see Reshmaan Province introduced for this very project.  Clafghan, compared to the other map is way, way more limited in terms of usable space that is fun to play on.  Reshmaan Province would not just provide more usable areas that are also fun to play on, but it might also be interesting to see the MSO taking place on a map that not everyone knows by hard and therefore even more navigation skills and communication is needed.

I would recommend doing a non-traditional vote on what nation to play as, instead of just throwing up suggestions. Ye US branches, British, Germany, Russia, whatev'. If you do put up a vote, put a WIP set up for each nation, too; while the Brits have fantastic modern weapon models, they have kinda shit vehicles and everything else.

Assuming we're talking Claf here, vehicles are a mixed bag. The wonderful Valley area they can be used to good effect, though thermals start to pale out quickly in the rather thick tree lines surrounding the area. Outside of the valley, though, they become worthless very quickly - and I am not talking entirely ground vehicles, here. The thick tree cover made a Cobra on old MSO practically blind to a "entire company" advancing on a locked downsquad's eastern front, much to their distress. Anything with wheels just has a hard time getting around - It took twenty minutes to get from the base in the valley to the airfield in the SE corner, one way, in Styrkers, which are relatively speedy, low-risk invicible vehicles.

Shits a pain.

That said, as what ended up amounting to the platoon sergent for the Stykers in previous MSO, I relatively enjoyed it even if it could be greatly improved and not having those vehicles availble would be pretty painful for the boot squads. (Stykers in particular are actually really good for MSO, as you can one man them easily and, thus, don't actually need your whole retinue. Something like a Bradley, for example, would be terrible.) Even in the previous MSO boots were feeling the burn whenever the two vehicle groups weren't staffed, effectively not being able to do anything.

Now.

Mortars were used twice in all of MSO, to memory. In one case when the base was being sieged and the mortar was literally right there, while the paladins were outside. Another time was in a operation in the mountains, but to memory one of the operators had to go and the weapon couldn't get used. Fat lot of good that was. Artillery was used semi-frequently, but it's a role that barely gets a lot of use whatsoever and could probably be cut in lieu of bomb-having aircraft without a sad face around: A plane needs one player, artillery needs two to be properly effective and those two players are probably going to be twiddling their thumbs save for two or three times a day, if that.

So. My suggestions;

I would recommend removing the heavy artilery, through mortars could stay and be tooled into weapons if people really want arty for operations. I would recommend keeping the vehicle retinue, in particular the Stykers - Fun to drive, fun (the lack of nightvision aside) to gun and extremely forgiving in the treacherous Claf terrain. Plus you can lift them via Chinook! I would recommend keeping air assets fairly fat - while the runway is, in my opinion, the worst thing, fixed and rotary wing still got a lot of use. Two fixed wing, a rotary attack chopper and oodles of transports for all sorts of needs, depending on the nation.

In addition to that, infantry need a method of getting their own transport. Last MSO was god awful for it, with the only method of transport being either on your feet, squad-sized trucks, choppers or the strykers. You didn't always have your full squad, after all - unarmed humvees alone would be nice, or whatever nation-alternative. Restricting people from being able to get around freely is not the point of things, that just means people can't do things.

Okay, I read through that all on my iPhone. I'll be done with work 6 hours from now (1900z) and around then I will spending some time on this. Look for me then.

I only suggest paladins because I fear crewing arming and transporting other forms of artillery might be to cumbersome when the player count is low and it is when the player count is low is the time for artillery.

As the guy who spent the whole week in a paladin, do this.  

Most of the time, out of the 10 or so guys who said they wanted to do arty, there would be only one of us on.

The logistics were an issue as well.  We were supposed to only have limited ammo, but the way it worked was that we would not get supplied consistantly, and with the server resets, we ended up getting ammo drops from GMs.  

However, it is a good idea, since it gives us arty guys something to do while there are no other missions on deck.

I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Reconsider the map it should be played on.  If this an event style, perhaps a map just for it could be possible.  Clafghan is great but as Whiplash mentioned, it's very limited in terms of usable area - most of it is just rolling hills that will probably never be explored.  

2. Consider having each different platoon "own" an FOB with the command/heavy assets at the main airbase.  Ideally, everyone starts at the main airbase (would love to see an airborne assault to start the MSO to secure the airbase actually) and FOBs need to be secured and created (ability to build structures might be good) and occupied by the platoons.

3. Overarching Command and Control architecture, including the possibility of a C2 helicopter.

I'd suggest civilian interaction module, call to prayers, civilian emergency services, electrical grids, the module that makes people hungry and require food might be a fun one too.  It'd be nice to interact with civvies and have a more 'daily life' feel, not just military operating in a deserted place with occasional civvies standing around the place that don't do anything except stand there.  Perhaps random hostile civilians might be a nice change too?

As the guy who spent the whole week in a paladin, do this.  

Most of the time, out of the 10 or so guys who said they wanted to do arty, there would be only one of us on.

The logistics were an issue as well.  We were supposed to only have limited ammo, but the way it worked was that we would not get supplied consistantly, and with the server resets, we ended up getting ammo drops from GMs.  

However, it is a good idea, since it gives us arty guys something to do while there are no other missions on deck.

First met you on MSO when you were a cannoneer and had no one else on, so you just went on a patrol with us :P

For heliocopters, I'd suggest going with a scaled-down Combat Aviation Brigade. Something like 8x Assault helos, 2x C2, 3x Heavy Lift, 3x MEDEVAC, and 6x Attack.

Logistics resupplys can be done using the assault or heavy lift helos to sling load ammo crates out there, or do some speedballing if somebody wants to make a script for that.

So some things have happened. I have learned more about the current MSO, there are many added in scripts and files that, well, fucked it all up. Many things are broken and I am not in the mood to try and delete stuff. I am going to be starting from scratch with the framework. This way I have a better understanding of the mission. I will need to make drastic changes to the mso framework in order to make it so we can have more than 60 people on at once without it overloading the server. I am working Rye to accomplish this. Expect the MSO to be ready sometime in August.

~ Gabe ~

It looks like we will have to sacrifice player count for quality game play and server fps. At this point, it appears 60 players MAX at a time. It only goes down from there, I will try to keep it at 60, but I am still talking with the MSO people to get the best performance possible with higher counts.

40 players is about the maximum we've had it on a pretty good server. MSO's then last about a week, and can drop as low as 10FPS. You're making a compromise too for quality: civilians, enemy presence, all the jazz is turned down.

Any news about this one?

A suggestion from me would be to use the newly added map "PR F.A.T.A" for a possible MSO.  Map might be much smaller than Clafghan in terms of space, but it has much more to offer, better terrain and allows for better fire fights, especially on medium to close ranges.  Villages allow for great CQB experience and the map justifies a smaller number of players and thus performance and quality would be better.

I would suggest - if not too much work has be spent to make CLafghan work - to focus on a smaller MSO mission on the aforementioned map that will not primarily be used for an event but for daily usage on the alternate server (the alternate server is mostly not used anyway, so running a MSO mission there every two weeks or so might be a fun thing to have).

Any news about this one?

A suggestion from me would be to use the newly added map "PR F.A.T.A" for a possible MSO.  Map might be much smaller than Clafghan in terms of space, but it has much more to offer, better terrain and allows for better fire fights, especially on medium to close ranges.  Villages allow for great CQB experience and the map justifies a smaller number of players and thus performance and quality would be better.

I would suggest - if not too much work has be spent to make CLafghan work - to focus on a smaller MSO mission on the aforementioned map that will not primarily be used for an event but for daily usage on the alternate server (the alternate server is mostly not used anyway, so running a MSO mission there every two weeks or so might be a fun thing to have).

Except, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, AI have troubles navigating the terrain. PR FATA is very much a PvP map.

Well, you feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression, that we have the same problem with Clafghan (northern valley excluded).  I honestly don't know, but the map itself looks just much more fun to have a MSO type mission on than any of the other maps (just my opinion).

Additionally it features pre-built OP's, CP's and the like, just like Clafghan.  Though the OP's on FATA are much more useful than those on Clafghan since you can actually overlook a area.

Anyway... just throwing this into the collection of ideas.

Been extremely busy with school, generally when I have time to come on I just pop into the barracks to hang out, haven't even had any time for ArmA lately. I will begin looking more into PR Fata possibilities, but if I were to give a rough estimate on when you can expect an MSO to occur I see it happening around pre or post New Years.

Been extremely busy with school, generally when I have time to come on I just pop into the barracks to hang out, haven't even had any time for ArmA lately. I will begin looking more into PR Fata possibilities, but if I were to give a rough estimate on when you can expect an MSO to occur I see it happening around pre or post New Years.

you've been playing WoW...

am I right?

you've been playing WoW...

am I right?

Yes, because there is no time commitment, I can go on and off as I please.

I used to say that about League of Legends.

Then I started playing ranked. *sigh*

Haha I wouldn't even say that about LoL. 1 hour games and if you leave you are punished xD